Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anybody here does "virtual" riding?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anybody here does "virtual" riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 06:47 AM

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fangowolf
Turns out my Problem Sunday night was a usb extension cable went bad. Only two months from purchase and it stopped working. Guess I should be thankful that its a cheap problem.
Lots of problems are at the low tech end of things; doesn't make them easier to troubleshoot...

Bkool software looks interesting, I might have to try that one out. I almost feel like I need two programs, One game-like and the other more of a trainer while watching TV or Book listening.
My feeling exactly; sometimes you need structure to improve your fitness/skills and sometimes evasion.
Old 09-29-15, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Turns out my Problem Sunday night was a usb extension cable went bad. Only two months from purchase and it stopped working. Guess I should be thankful that its a cheap problem. Bkool software looks interesting, I might have to try that one out. I almost feel like I need two programs, One game-like and the other more of a trainer while watching TV or Book listening.
you get on the BKool and I will ride with you. There are plenty of rides from eight miles up to 32 miles that I have put in to BKool by uploading the GPS data, and now BKool can be set to automatically import rides from Strava by syncing Strava and BKool.

My biggest complaints with BKool is that they hold special events during the time of the day when I am at work (10:00 am pacific daylight time) so I don't get to participate.
Old 09-29-15, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickR400
I guess you are going to say that Boston has a real hockey team too...
You mean the 2011 stanley cup winners? Here, where we have less than ice and snow 9 months of the year, I'm more of a Patriots fan and Red sox fan. CFL ? Yuk, yuk. Blue Jays? yuk.
Old 09-29-15, 01:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
You mean the 2011 stanley cup winners? Here, where we have less than ice and snow 9 months of the year, I'm more of a Patriots fan and Red sox fan. CFL ? Yuk, yuk. Blue Jays? yuk.
Since my comment was more to yank your chain than anything else, I claim victory.
Old 09-30-15, 06:52 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kind of answering myself here but some info may be of interest to others

For example, my gym has canned group rides; there are 3 workouts that get modified every 3 or so months. The equipment is Keiser M3 bikes which are OK enough but just kind of adjustable.
Let me revise my opinion of the Keiser M3 bikes; they are nasty. I don't like padded seats but I truly hate seat height adjustments that go up/down by almost 1" increments.

I'm personally thinking of using my current hybrid bike (Ghost Panamao X3) and a Tacx Genius Smart trainer.
The Tacx Genius Smart trainer is not available in the LBS in my area. I'm revising my choice to the Tacx IRONMAN® Smart which is the same thing anyway.

Important note: The Tacx PC software (Tacx Trainer software 4 Advanced) has very specific requirements; amongst them a Nvidia or ATI graphics card. If you want to go the TTS4 way, use System requirements-Tacx Trainer software to check that you have a suitable computer.
Old 09-30-15, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I'm ok as lomg as it is above 30. In the twenties...forget it. I'll be doing something else until it warms up, but never riding a trainer
I used to live in Columbia, but I got smart and now live in Raleigh.

The difference between the Carolinas and Boston is that our low temp is their high temp. And their snow can last all season. Our snow tends to last only a week. Granted, an inch or two of snow will shut us down in the south, but part of that is because half of that snow melts and then refreezes, so half of that snow will be ice. When Boston gets snow, it normally is just snow. I have noticed when they get ice/snow (like the south), they get shut down with just an inch or two also. They just get it cleared up a lot quicker than we do, because they have the equipment to clear it.

And we haven't had a real hockey team for about 10 years.

GH
Old 09-30-15, 07:57 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
I used to live in Columbia, but I got smart and now live in Raleigh.

The difference between the Carolinas and Boston is that our low temp is their high temp. And their snow can last all season. Our snow tends to last only a week. Granted, an inch or two of snow will shut us down in the south, but part of that is because half of that snow melts and then refreezes, so half of that snow will be ice. When Boston gets snow, it normally is just snow. I have noticed when they get ice/snow (like the south), they get shut down with just an inch or two also. They just get it cleared up a lot quicker than we do, because they have the equipment to clear it.

And we haven't had a real hockey team for about 10 years.

GH
Cola is on the up and up. But plenty of people bike commute during the winter months in the great white north. My current cold tolerance has me at "wussy" level, bit I feel confident that I would adapt if I had to
Old 09-30-15, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Since my comment was more to yank your chain than anything else, I claim victory.
Victory, maybe in hockey, aren't you guys skating before you can walk? Not in football though. Back on subject, what about a fat bike? Very popular here in new England. I hear you get some snow up north? Maybe demo one. Kingdom trails has some events and rentals during the winter as well. They also groom the trails too.
Old 09-30-15, 08:17 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Last winter I set my bike up on a trainer in the garage. When I'd train I watched YouTube cycling videos download to an 8" tablet... that I propped up on my workbench. I know.... kinda sad.

Currently.... I am re-imagining my home office into a man cave. The desk is now gone and I can watch the same (or better) videos via Roku, PC, or DVD though my TV. I have reconfigured the TV viewing area to accept a large screen TV with setup space for 2 bikes on trainers.
Old 10-01-15, 01:01 AM

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
I use a BKool Pro trainer/simulator with their web based software (I pay for the premium account at $144.00 per year which allows me to upload my own routes, courses).

This will automatically pull the route data from Strava into the software so you and others can ride the same ride virtually. Also I can ride parts of the world tours, and even compete with others. The BKool software will allow over 100 riders on the same course at the same time and if you are within 50 feet of another rider you also can have voice communication.

Cost of the BKool Pro is about $650.00.

I have put many hundred miles on the BKool trainer from when I was 395 pounds to now at around 360 pounds and haven't broken it yet.

The Bkool Trainer software if you want it to will automatically load your ride data to Strava as well and it will be listed in Strava as a virtual ride.

Other trainers like the Wahoo Kikr (spelling?) will work with the BKool software.

The BKool trainer will automatically adjust resistance based on road grade.

Excellent reply
Old 10-01-15, 01:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Last winter I set my bike up on a trainer in the garage. When I'd train I watched YouTube cycling videos download to an 8" tablet... that I propped up on my workbench. I know.... kinda sad.

Currently.... I am re-imagining my home office into a man cave. The desk is now gone and I can watch the same (or better) videos via Roku, PC, or DVD though my TV. I have reconfigured the TV viewing area to accept a large screen TV with setup space for 2 bikes on trainers.

Thats awesome! I love your first setup. I currently have a stationary bike where I use bungee cords to hold my ipad in place while cycling.
Old 10-01-15, 07:45 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VCSL2015
Thats awesome! I love your first setup. I currently have a stationary bike where I use bungee cords to hold my ipad in place while cycling.
Riding a trainer mounted bicycle in the garage IS much better than sitting in my recliner!
But I was inspired by threads I saw here at the forums like: Show me Your man cave and more recently post your Torture Chamber.

My basement home office no longer served any real purpose... as an office. I am retired and no longer bring work home, or create Web Pages on the side. The "office" has had a vintage bike of some sort (they rotate) hanging on the wall for a few years. And I run a couple Home Automation computers/servers from the office (I am automation hobbyist). I often drag my bicycle work stand down there in winter months and find a "winter project" bicycle to work on while it's too cold outside. Plus... my two 20# dumbbells found a home in there along with some resistance bans.

So far (I work on the room on raining days) I've disassembled and removed the desk and rewired the automation and entertainment equipment. I removed the bicycle wall hanger and am thinking of a two bicycle gravity stand (or maybe TWO stands for 4 bicycles). The best deals on (new) TV's are a couple months away yet... so I'll wait for that. I think I can create the cooling wind I will need it there with fans I have on-hand.

I am not much of a designer... so my wife offers aesthetic suggestions. I like the idea of virtual cycling! Or even a little virtual golf with my out-of-state son. Hopefully this project will go well. I hate to waste money and effort.
Old 10-01-15, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ thats awesome =)
Old 10-01-15, 01:16 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I had received some suggestions in another thread some time back and am just now diving into it. Your thread is timely and I'm sure I'll get some good information out of it.
Old 10-02-15, 02:59 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I'm surprised zwift is not getting the love on this thread. Maybe all zwifters are riding. But man, I love Zwift. I am in Southern California and have not stopped using the software since I joined, about 6 months ago. Awesome graphics, two courses now, and a real cool social aspect to it. They haven't come close to reaching their potential.
Old 10-02-15, 06:25 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VCSL2015
Excellent reply
Check bkool and they are not a realistic option in Canada. Their "distributor" doesn't even show the product on its website. Way NOT to grow...
Old 10-02-15, 06:25 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I had received some suggestions in another thread some time back and am just now diving into it. Your thread is timely and I'm sure I'll get some good information out of it.

Anything you can add is deeply appreciated.

I just bought a laptop with the required graphics card, will configure it today, buy the Tacx Ironman, configure that, and post a picture of my setup.
Old 10-02-15, 06:30 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
I'm surprised zwift is not getting the love on this thread. Maybe all zwifters are riding. But man, I love Zwift. I am in Southern California and have not stopped using the software since I joined, about 6 months ago. Awesome graphics, two courses now, and a real cool social aspect to it. They haven't come close to reaching their potential.
Maybe they are all riding...

You can be the Zwift guy, the position is wide open. I looked at their website because I saw that one of the guys I follow on Strava was posting virtual rides he has taken on Zwift.

I understand that they are a new player in the field but to me the number of courses is a very important feature. I need variety to fight off boredom.
Old 10-02-15, 10:45 AM

Check bkool and they are not a realistic option in Canada. Their "distributor" doesn't even show the product on its website. Way NOT to grow...
Their software is web based, and will work with the Wahoo ****r (spelling?) trainer and a couple other trainers. Also it will work with manual trainers if you have a cadence/speed sensor on the bike (the interface for manual non electronic trainers works, but isn't as smooth as the interface for the electronic trainers). The software/app has a free option which includes a few routes, and a premium option which allows you to import your own routes based on GPS data (or routes created in Strava). The app/software will run on a smart phone (apple and android), and both computer platforms (mac/PC).

The Premium account costs me $144.00 US dollars per year.
Old 10-02-15, 06:15 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
Their software is web based, and will work with the Wahoo ****r (spelling?) trainer and a couple other trainers. Also it will work with manual trainers if you have a cadence/speed sensor on the bike (the interface for manual non electronic trainers works, but isn't as smooth as the interface for the electronic trainers). The software/app has a free option which includes a few routes, and a premium option which allows you to import your own routes based on GPS data (or routes created in Strava). The app/software will run on a smart phone (apple and android), and both computer platforms (mac/PC).

The Premium account costs me $144.00 US dollars per year.
The issue is not the software, it is the hardware. The distributor does not appear to really sell the trainers.
Old 10-02-15, 06:40 PM

The issue is not the software, it is the hardware. The distributor does not appear to really sell the trainers.
They do sell them with Amazon.com, and at bike stores. I picked mine up at a bike store. I know sometimes country borders do effect what is available.

I do hope you find something that will work for you.
Old 10-20-15, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can check Veloreality software
Old 10-20-15, 04:06 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kostyap
You can check Veloreality software
Interesting, I had never heard of them
Old 10-20-15, 06:08 AM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Maybe they are all riding...

You can be the Zwift guy, the position is wide open. I looked at their website because I saw that one of the guys I follow on Strava was posting virtual rides he has taken on Zwift.

I understand that they are a new player in the field but to me the number of courses is a very important feature. I need variety to fight off boredom.
I've used Zwift a few times. They are adding features and some will be released when they come out of beta but they still don't match the features and maturity of something like BKool nor would I expect them to initially. The price will reflect this gap and will get a fair amount of people to jump on board because it IS new, and a bit cheaper, and so on. A BKool type app gives the variety mentioned and is also what I'm ultimately looking for. Variety leads to being distracted from the fact I'm on that damn trainer, etc.
Old 10-20-15, 07:12 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Variety leads to being distracted from the fact I'm on that damn trainer, etc.
Yep! That is the reason I went with the Tacx trainer and software. Boredom is a major enemy of motivation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.