Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

USPS.. Don't USE!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

USPS.. Don't USE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 03:05 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Regarding the security camera footage,
Unfortunately, even if they did have that camera working, I bet that they still will not allow anyone outside the system to view what was recorded.. Even law enforcement people will need special permission to ....
That's not an issue. Theft from the USPS falls under the Postal Inspector's purview. If you file a detailed and clear complaint with the inspector's office, they'll make at least a preliminary investigation which should include looking at surveillance film to see if there's anything there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-25-18, 03:06 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stories of eBay sellers, who just drop things like bike frames in an empty box,

and don't bother with the kind of careful packing that would take time from their precious lives..

are many..
Old 01-25-18, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's not an issue. Theft from the USPS falls under the Postal Inspector's purview. If you file a detailed and clear complaint with the inspector's office, they'll make at least a preliminary investigation which should include looking at surveillance film to see if there's anything there.
But would they let a "walk in" customer just do thst without any special arrangements?
That's what I was thinking, and that's what I think occurred with the OP....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 01-25-18, 03:14 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
We here have a relationship with one of our former part time workers , who was also career Coast Guard,

he was transferred to the Kodiak Island base, , and has gotten a lot of stuff shipped USPS.. because UPS is sparse and delays shipments until they get a full load.
[ lots of others there, wanted fat bikes upon seeing his.. ]

They moved a lot of their Helicopters and planes to higher ground or just got them in the air
when the earthquake south of there happened this week..

Old 01-25-18, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Regarding the security camera footage,
Unfortunately, even if they did have that camera working, I bet that they still will not allow anyone outside the system to view what was recorded.. Even law enforcement people will need special permission to view such recordings, unless it is demanded through a subpoena/court order.
Maybe at the local 7-11 you can convince a manager to let you do such, but at a USPS Office, doubt it....
USPS is a semi-autonomous, semi-government organization. It is quite possible you would be able to get the footage. A lot of info may well be available through a FOIA request too, and of course discovery/subpoenas.

If it ends up with a lawsuit, you can always subpoena the tapes.

I'm seeing notes on the internet that "fake cameras" may, in fact, be a liability for the company that installs them. In this case, you have an allegedly stolen item that should show up on the cameras. It is possible that a judge or jury would accept that fake cameras (which some employees probably knew about) = LIABILITY. And also accept your assumption that the cameras (whether you had noticed them or not) was part of a working security system when you elected to use the PO services.

Possible steps (not necessarily in this order):
  • Deal with E-Bay first. You can inform the buyer that you'll talk to them if you actually find the frame and give them the first crack at it.
  • Follow the chain of command up to the top at the post office. Are there regional managers?
  • Find out if this is an isolated incident. Hard to believe yours would be the first and last, although perhaps the PO isn't keeping adequate records. Another thing that could be subpoenaed, and they should be asked why records are incomplete.
  • File a police report. Hopefully you track your serial numbers. Also ask the police if they've had similar claims.
  • Talk to your local Federal congressmen and representatives. I don't know what their oversight is, but the USPS is a semi-government agency, and wouldn't do well if the carpet was yanked from under them.
  • Lawsuit. It is quite possible that this would fall under "Small Claims", and require minimal fees, and not necessarily require you to bring a lawyer. You still should have "Discovery", and Subpoenas. Expect the post office to at least comb through your E-Bay history.
Good Luck!
Old 01-25-18, 03:27 PM

But would they let a "walk in" customer just do thst without any special arrangements?
The customer didn't just drop off an unlabeled box. He apparently had a pre-printed label and sent a manifest to the USPS, including a tracking number (but apparently no arrival scan).

I would think prior E-Bay experience would also back this up, including the number of sales and overall feedback rating.
Old 01-25-18, 03:29 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. No, they won't let you look at the surveillance, and it would be wrong if they did. But they'll look at it, and if they see the package, will be very interested in knowing where it went off the radar.

I know folks distrust institutions, but the reality is that those charged with security do actually care, and do follow stuff to the extent it's possible. They catch thieves and problem employees all the time, mostly in response to a pattern of complaints. Keep in mind that if there's a thief operating out of a PO, it won't be a one time thing.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-25-18, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK
The customer didn't just drop off an unlabeled box. He apparently had a pre-printed label and sent a manifest to the USPS, including a tracking number (but apparently no arrival scan).

I would think prior E-Bay experience would also back this up, including the number of sales and overall feedback rating.
It might make a difference to ebay, but not legally. There is plenty of law and case law relating to common carriers and proof of claim. It boils down to a simple rule that the carrier takes responsibility when they sign for the shipment, and is relieved of that when it's signed for by the consignee.

There are exceptions, and workarounds but they're very much the exceptions to the rules, which are basically no tickee, no washee.

Old 01-25-18, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It might make a difference to ebay, but not legally. There is plenty of law and case law relating to common carriers and proof of claim. It boils down to a simple rule that the carrier takes responsibility when they sign for the shipment, and is relieved of that when it's signed for by the consignee.

There are exceptions, and workarounds but they're very much the exceptions to the rules, which are basically no tickee, no washee.
Perhaps.

I've always thought that once I get a letter into a blue box, that it is USPS's responsibility. And some of those boxes also accept packages, or there are methods to drop off packages without anybody there. The building should be an extension of the blue box (assuming the package was left in a restricted area, and not just on the lobby floor).

Was there a desk in the middle of the lobby that the OP used, or did the box immediately go behind the counter into the restricted area?

No "receipt" is a problem, but I've never been certain when stuff gets scanned anyway. I've seen my packages getting tossed into a bin behind the counter, perhaps without an acceptance scan.
Old 01-25-18, 04:11 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
People seem to make a mistake with regards to the USPS. If you want to get something shipped reasonably fast for reasonable money, the're your go-to. And statistically, they're the the most dependable, The issue is the sheer numbers. In 2016 the USPS delivered 4.5 billion pieces of mail (from postcards to packages.) If they were 99.99% accurate, they would lose over 4 million articles a year.

If you want security, ship UPS. I've had more issues with FedEx than any other carrier, incoming or outbound-- at my peak, I was doing around 1,000 packages a year, and in 15 years the USPS lost two.
Old 01-25-18, 05:31 PM

Perhaps.

I've always thought that once I get a letter into a blue box, that it is USPS's responsibility. And some of those boxes also accept packages, or there are methods to drop off packages without anybody there. The building should be an extension of the blue box (assuming the package was left in a restricted area, and not just on the lobby floor).

Was there a desk in the middle of the lobby that the OP used, or did the box immediately go behind the counter into the restricted area?

No "receipt" is a problem, but I've never been certain when stuff gets scanned anyway. I've seen my packages getting tossed into a bin behind the counter, perhaps without an acceptance scan.
It's not a matter of whether one leaves a letter or package, but a standard of proof.

Let's consider the hypothetical letter. You're right that once it's tendered, by being dropped in the box, it's the post office's responsibility, with an implied contract to deliver to the addressee. You can't get it back, even if you beg.

But, let's say that letter contained a check for the IRS, and gets lost causing you to incur a penalty. So, it's just your word vs. the fact that the check was never cashed. You can beg, plead, scream and cry, but the answer will be you lose, and maybe followed by "That's why there's certified mail".

So, like everything else, the facts are one thing, but establishing them is another, and that's what matters.

Old 01-25-18, 05:44 PM

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Wow OP, that is infuriating! Really sorry this happened to you, that just plain sucks.
Old 01-25-18, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,005 Times in 1,783 Posts

I've been totally screwed by E-Bay in the past. Bought multiple items from one seller. He shows them as all shipped in one package but only 1/2 gets shipped. I had days and says of message traffic via Ebay where the seller admitted sending the right of the stuff somewhere else. I filed a claim and provided copies of all the message traffic. Their answer..."systems shows items sent and delivered, case closed" I have no faith in Ebay's protection at all.
Old 01-25-18, 06:17 PM

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
As far as I know, this only works for First Class Packages (under 1lb). I do this all the time as well, but never with anything over 1lb.

I have also done with the OP did, especially when the lines are long. However, it is usually with items valued under $50 and I never had a problem.

A frame should be a larger package, it should be easier to spot. If you have pictures of the box, you may want to print them for the Post Office. I luckily had a photo when I noticed something was stuck at my local USPS after it was scanned as accepted. They found it shortly afterward.
My USPS delivery person scans my outgoing boxes immediately. I've shipped things up to 75 lbs without incident. Albeit, my address is served by a mail truck with each house having a mail box at the road. BTW, if I leave a note in the box they will ring my door to pick up a box too! So perhaps it's different in other places.
Old 01-25-18, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jamesdak
I've been totally screwed by E-Bay in the past. Bought multiple items from one seller. He shows them as all shipped in one package but only 1/2 gets shipped. I had days and says of message traffic via Ebay where the seller admitted sending the right of the stuff somewhere else. I filed a claim and provided copies of all the message traffic. Their answer..."systems shows items sent and delivered, case closed" I have no faith in Ebay's protection at all.
I've had that happen too. Took a photo of the packing slip/weight. And, was able to prove that the shipping weight indicated only one item was shipped (heavy enough that it was noticeable). Seller never responded to my e-mails or the dispute, but it was resolved in my favor.

However, my point was, if the OP is a long-time e-bay seller, then he should have record of satisfied customers, and not trying to defraud the shipping companies, which would further support the claim that the package did, in fact, get dropped off at the Post Office.
Old 01-25-18, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by abellanti
No, I didn't get a receipt...of course in hindsight I should of insisted. When I dropped the frame off it was a busy day and a long line. One of postal workers asked if anyone was dropping off...I said yes....they took the box and said everything was good. I thought for sure it would have been scanned right then and there. However, doesn't seem to be the case.
Where was the package "dropped off"?

Behind a close half-door?
Middle of the lobby?
Stamps & Misc desk in the lobby?

I'm wondering if the box was set aside in the lobby, and never taken into the back room by the post office staff. Then a customer snagged the untended box.

Keep an eye open for the bike on your local Craigslist and E-Bay.
Old 01-25-18, 06:58 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
As far as I know, this only works for First Class Packages (under 1lb). I do this all the time as well, but never with anything over 1lb.

I have also done with the OP did, especially when the lines are long. However, it is usually with items valued under $50 and I never had a problem.

A frame should be a larger package, it should be easier to spot. If you have pictures of the box, you may want to print them for the Post Office. I luckily had a photo when I noticed something was stuck at my local USPS after it was scanned as accepted. They found it shortly afterward.

My carrier picks up everything. Rarely is an item less than one pound. He picked up ten items Monday (Mondays are typically the most as it represents sales from mid Saturday and through Sunday night). Picked up five more today. Its usually a couple of items per day, 99% priority mail, some media mail, some first class. He's been doing it for years.

The post office's click and ship program includes any item where you print the label on line, through their site, I've never noticed a weight limit.

Shipping Bikeflights (Fed Ex) means I either pay $5 more for pickup at my home, or I drop off at one of their shipping partners. At those partners, my items are never scanned in, they only get scanned in when Fed Ex driver arrives for the pickup.

Google shipper problems, I bet you will get thousands (probably millions) of complaints on each carrier. None are perfect, not close. I ship a lot of items in the USPS flat rate padded envelope, its amazing what you can stuff into one of those! No other carrier has a comparable product, at a comparable price. I shipped a crankset to Hawaii, cost me $6.30 (I get a discount on USPS rates).

Bike flights of course doesn't ship anything. They are a broker, and they offer attractive rates on Fed Ex, cheaper than I can get directly.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-25-18 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts
good idea...maybe to only option I have left
Old 01-25-18, 07:32 PM

I actually handed it to a person behind the counter and they placed it on the floor. He indicated since it was a prepaid shipping label I didn't need to do anything else. In hindsight......
Old 01-25-18, 07:36 PM

I still ship lots of little parts through USPS and have had only a couple issues. But when it comes to frames worth hundreds or bikes worth thousands....I'll choose FedEX. Their tracking and customer service is way better.
Old 01-25-18, 07:37 PM

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Buska
My USPS delivery person scans my outgoing boxes immediately. I've shipped things up to 75 lbs without incident. Albeit, my address is served by a mail truck with each house having a mail box at the road. BTW, if I leave a note in the box they will ring my door to pick up a box too! So perhaps it's different in other places.
Originally Posted by wrk101
My carrier picks up everything. Rarely is an item less than one pound. He picked up ten items Monday (Mondays are typically the most as it represents sales from mid Saturday and through Sunday night). Picked up five more today. Its usually a couple of items per day, 99% priority mail, some media mail, some first class. He's been doing it for years.
I have done further reading and you guys are right. From how I understand it, you are suppose to schedule a pickup for non first class packages, but I am sure results will vary depending on the mail carrier.

Majority of my shipments are first class and I usually just put them in the mailbox and raise the flag.
Old 01-25-18, 09:03 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Since the post office employee took it behind the counter, sounds like a different situation. It should show up on their video, both you dropping it off and the employee taking it behind the counter. Moving up the chain with the PO seems to be in order.

"Majority of my shipments are first class and I usually just put them in the mailbox and raise the flag." I stopped doing this as items were being stolen out of mailboxes in our neighborhood, and the flag just told the thieves that there was something in there. Instead, I raise the flag, put a note in the box: Packages on front porch. Thanks!" Porch is covered, and items left there are not visible from the street.

I do not use the post office schedule a shipment process as I am shipping something almost every day. Its unusual to not have an item. Years ago our postal carrier mentioned that he would gladly pick up all of our packages, no problem! He noticed I was getting a lot of priority mail supplies, and he saw me loading packages in the car to go to the post office. So I stopped going to the post office with my stuff. An added benefit is our mail delivery is late in the day. So its the only way I can ship stuff Saturday afternoon, well after our post office is closed.

Almost all of my bike parts are shipped in a padded flat rate envelope (no wheels of course). Shipping a set of vintage BMX pedals tomorrow, 1 to 2 pounds in weight, to California, for $6.90 (rates went up this week). I don't know a cheaper method, and the buyer should get them in 3 days.

Frames and bikes almost all go through Bike Flights/Fed Ex, as their rates tend to be better.
Old 01-25-18, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by wrk101
Instead, I raise the flag, put a note in the box: Packages on front porch. Thanks!" Porch is covered, and items left there are not visible from the street.
That is assuming thieves can't read.

But, I suppose it also depends if they are brash enough to snag something off of a porch.
Old 01-25-18, 09:33 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Always get a tracking number and receipt.

Years ago I shipped lots of large and valuable items USPS, including overseas. No problems.

But the post office is struggling with a Congressional mandate passed 10 years ago that was designed to cripple the post office in favor of private carriers that lobbied Congress for favors. The post office was required to prefund the retirement system, placing a burden of billions of dollars on the USPS.

The deadline for the mandate came a few months ago, September 2017 I think. So despite the recent efforts of the post office to dig themselves out of this mess, they are struggling right now.

Best thing to do for now is use another carrier. Wait until the post office can sort out this mess.

Most USPS problems are local or regional. Call, email or write the ombudsman in Washington DC to report problems. They'll put pressure on the local and regional postmaster to fix the problems. That's what it took in our area after repeated delivery problems a few years ago.

Since then we've had one of the best neighborhood letter carriers I've ever known. She's a real treasure. But we had to endure a lot of indifferent and overworked veteran and temp carriers between 2012 and 2016 before the problem was resolved.
Old 01-26-18, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
I am in Transportation. I don`t care what carrier you use, if you ship enough through them expect something to get lost stolen or damaged. It happens. They will all try hard to not pay you as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.