Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Idiopathic Bontrager wheel screech

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Idiopathic Bontrager wheel screech

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 07:43 PM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Shhh, Kimmo. If you make posts like this they'll ID you as reactionary. Then they'll come after both of us!

I, too, feel that the older cup and cone angular contact bearings were better: 1) AC gives lateral stiffness, 2) as a result of lateral stiffness, AC bearings wear more slowly, 3) the deep groove radial design means that the inner and outer races are "stacked" and not "nested", meaning that AC hubs can be more compact, 4) the AC hub is held together with the cone nuts and lockwashers - none of the loose pieces held together with the QR and .... o-ring friction!

The only advantage I see to the cartridge approach is that the outer race is easily replaced, which is not so on the older AC bearing wheels. Shops love em I think, because the deep groove radial design wears out every couple years due to higher wear rates from side forces. So it makes for more shop revenue. Sigh.
Some peeps talk about the replaceable outer race aspect like it should matter, but damn, you really have to be thick to let a bearing get that bad. The cone is always thoroughly toasted before the balls get affected, and then the cup. If it's a decent hub, it should be pretty well sealed, so if it's adjusted properly (which is hardly rocket science; there's usually a pretty huge window of acceptable preload), it should require next to no maintenance anyway.

Does my head in how so many folks can look at an Ultegra hub or similar, and look at hubs by pretty much anyone except Campy or Shimano (ignoring all the low-end loose-ball stuff like Joytech), and not see that one is fully designed for purpose using all bespoke elements, and the other is a result of the engineers just throwing up their hands and saying 'generic part goes here' when it comes to one of the most important aspects.
Old 10-06-19, 05:02 AM
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
@Kimmo: the engineers involved here were concerned with how to 'cleverly' kill two birds with one stone. I'm sure they saved gobs of money simply because they didn't need to shut down a production line to retool for a longer axle.
Old 10-07-19, 08:57 AM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
@Kimmo: the engineers involved here were concerned with how to 'cleverly' kill two birds with one stone. I'm sure they saved gobs of money simply because they didn't need to shut down a production line to retool for a longer axle.
I agree, Unca. But it kind of sucks that a fairly mid-premium wheelset ($~1000) has design weaknesses that I could fix using the drawing tools in PowerPoint in about a half hour. I mean, the excessively long bore for the bearing mount (the holes in the hub that have an ID that matches the bearing OD) is so obvious. And frankly, fixing this might have saved money. Reprogramming a CNC lathe is pretty easy for those experienced in it. An improved design would use a hub that would be about the same, but the depth of the bearing bore would be less (so that's less machining.) The axle would be longer, but this is minimally machined tube. You'd change about 2 parameters for the hub and 3 for the axle in their CNC programs. The plugs (which I assume are machined from larger diameter solid bar) would be shorter and again, reprogramming would be about 5 parameters. As to material costs, you'd buy a bit longer cheaper lower diameter tube and a bit shorter more expensive bar stock. So material would be cheaper. Machining the tube would be about the same. Machining shorter plugs would be less machining. I actually think that they might have saved money in manufacturing had they implemented a proper design. If the Bontrager diagram (not mine, theirs, in post #1 ) reflects current design, then they DID improve the design by making the axle longer, and the plugs shorter (with less unnecessary distance between inner and outer hubs). I'm disappointed in Bontrager on this one.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-07-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
Wiz, Kimmo, and Unca,
At what point in the design process, did anyone think about down the line problems that might occur? I'm thinking (just like the last girl I asked out) NEVER! These guys are taught to do the quick and dirty production process, and save the company as many dollars as possible. So post production problems are up to the QA people who will learn how to explain the problem away. Stoopid easy and stoopid simple is the new way of engineering, and don't try to think about the future in this,,, more to come in the next generation... Smiles, MH
Old 10-09-19, 10:40 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
MH- I was just talking about this aspect of current bike design/manufacturing with a co worker that I will likely end up teaching how to build a frame. The life cycle of a modern bike is less then the industry wants you to believe. Why? Because the marketing side (and one can lump into this the world of magazines, blogs and such that parrot ad spec/hype) are working harder to create a reason to buy the latest/newest with the promise that your Strava status will go up.

We're never going back to the abundance of small replacement parts availability being important or frame resiliency is what makes a frame better Andy