Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need a bike computer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need a bike computer

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 05:50 AM

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Geezzz, I must be behind the times. I just have a CAT EYE Strada Digital Cadence Wireless Computer on one bike and a Cat Eye astrale on the other. The Strada Digital Cadence Wireless Computer is $85. If I am lost, I use my cell phone.

Admittedly I am old fashion and enter data into an Excel chart. But really, I ride to enjoy. Not winning any races.
Likes For Univega:
Old 08-15-20, 06:42 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6
Switched to an Elemnt Bolt about 3 years ago or so. Never had any issues with it but, it's started having issues connecting to my phone and my hear rate monitor.....not sure what the deal is
Wahoo has been having issues with disconnecting sensors for about a month or so. It all started with one of their firmware updates and a corresponding app release. The issue appears to be in the BTLE connection with the sensors. The work around is to make sure the sensors are paired via the Ant+ channel. I have always had my sensors paired via the Ant+ channel and did not experience any sensor dropouts when all of these issues started appearing. I did, however, experience quite a few issues with the companion app which seem to have been corrected with the latest update release.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 08-15-20, 08:06 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The most recent round of firmware updates for the Bolt have been, for lack of a better word, terrible. Battery consumption is WAY up, every once in awhile (like once a week) the app will lose the Bolt entirely, requiring a "unpair and re-register" procedure, then it works perfectly for another couple of days.

Disclaimer: this is an absolutely minor complaint, as my previous computers (Hammerhead Karoo, Garmin 520) would often have software issues so bad that the device was often rendered unusable. The Karoo is still having those same software issues now, some 2 years after release.

The only "foolproof" computer I've used to date was the Edge 500, which having no BT or wi-fi, just did it's job and never complained.
Old 08-16-20, 03:56 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Wahoo has been having issues with disconnecting sensors for about a month or so. It all started with one of their firmware updates and a corresponding app release. The issue appears to be in the BTLE connection with the sensors. The work around is to make sure the sensors are paired via the Ant+ channel. I have always had my sensors paired via the Ant+ channel and did not experience any sensor dropouts when all of these issues started appearing. I did, however, experience quite a few issues with the companion app which seem to have been corrected with the latest update release.
Thanks for the info - I kinda figured it was software/firmware related so I haven't worried too much about since support from Wahoo has always been excellent in my experience
Old 08-16-20, 07:06 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Checking with the Wahoo Elemnt Users Group, it appears that most of the issues have been solved since there have been no new posts on the issues since the latest firmware and companion app release. The one thing they still haven't fixed is deleting a workout from the history page does not delete the workout from the computer. I'm hoping that they fix that soon since I don't store more than a weeks worth of rides in the companion app.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-16-20, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Sounds about right. I updated everything last week and had to delete/reconnect my Tickr fit. My phone appears to stay connected now too.

Glad they finally fixed it - was starting to worry it was going to turn in to a Garmin type ordeal

To the O.P - I’ll give an another thumbs up for Wahoo bike computers. This is the first and only issue I’ve had with my Bolt in roughly 17,000 miles.

And their service was simply excellent the one time I had to use it. I bought one of the first Kickr Climb units and the motor died a few months out of warranty. I sent a copy of my receipt along with a request for help to Wahoo Customer Service and I had a new unit in my pain cave within a week. They didn’t even acknowledge the fact that my unit was out of warranty - they just replaced it.
Old 08-19-20, 09:54 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
I'm a Luddite, I still run the cheapest, simplest wired odometers from Sigma on most of my bikes (and the one that isn't a wired Sigma is a wireless CatEye, just because that's a coupled travel bike and the wires would limit packing options). But my wife is the high-tech cyclist in the family, and after having tried a Garmin and a Polar in the past, she now swears by the Wahoo Elemnt. She likes it so much she keeps threatening to buy one for me! It'll do everything OP asked for.
Old 07-09-21, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still trying to decide on a bike computer. Could anyone tell me if Wahoo has a site like the Garminconnect website which is free?
I can't figure out if Wahoo also has a similar free site. I don't want to buy a subscription to Strava.
Old 07-09-21, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by kajero
I am still trying to decide on a bike computer. Could anyone tell me if Wahoo has a site like the Garminconnect website which is free?
I can't figure out if Wahoo also has a similar free site. I don't want to buy a subscription to Strava.
Wahoo does not have a site like Garmin Connect. They are well integrated with RideWithGPS and I used that when I had a Bolt and currently. They have a free subscription, but I find it's worth paying for. I do most of my ride and route planning on RWGPS as it works very well.