Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How To Use Naphtha For Stripping Factory Lube From Chain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How To Use Naphtha For Stripping Factory Lube From Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 01:47 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Here in NC we can buy just about anything...including Toluene, MEK, etc.
Yeah, at the local Home Depot there is a bottle which supposedly "replaces" or "is the equivalent of" toluene and MEK, I forgot the exact wording. But toluene and MEK are not the same thing so I don't know how one product can "replace" or "serve as the equivalent" of two distinct organic solvents. (I spent so much time in Home Depot yesterday studying organic solvents on my phone.)

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 07-19-21 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-19-21, 01:47 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is basically the lighter fluid for Zippo lighters, right? Given how volatile it is, I would probably need to buy 10 cans to soak a chain.
Just keep the container closed. Once it equilibrates, you won't lose any volume. But it's a godawfully expensive way to clean a chain!

Although HomeDepot.com lists the CARB version as being in stock, it is unfortunately not for sale anywhere in the South Coast Air Quality Management District. I discovered this yesterday at the third Home Depot I visited.
Ah. We don't have that problem up here. Not yet, anyhow.

BTW, I can see a use for isopropanol IF you used an aqueous degreaser, to remove/replace the water in the chain with something that dries faster and more completely. But not after an organic solvent.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-19-21, 01:48 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Oh, and speaking of solvents, guess what the Army recommended to its watchmakers as a solvent for final rinse of watch parts, back in 1945?

Gasoline.

Old 07-19-21, 01:52 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Oh, and speaking of solvents, guess what the Army recommended to its watchmakers as a solvent for final rinse of watch parts, back in 1945?

Gasoline.
leaded or unleaded?
Old 07-19-21, 01:55 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I worked with a painter on a summer job years ago that used gasoline to clean brushes and rollers because typically it's cheaper than paint thinner or mineral spirits.

He was a cheap SOB but was a darn good painter. Man, I hated working with gasoline. I just knew I was dealing with an undetonated napalm bomb once the stuff got saturated with paint. Plus he had those cans sitting around the back of his van fumigating the inside.
Old 07-19-21, 02:02 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Iride01
leaded or unleaded?
Well, 1945, so, I'm thinking leaded.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-19-21, 02:02 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I used gasoline for most all degreasing and cleaning things up until my mid 30's. Paint brush clean up too. It was cheap and readily available anywhere.

Just because I got away with it doesn't mean I wasn't stupid for using it.

Gasoline is just too volatile and it forms a puddle of invisible vapors that eventually find a spark. Even when the spark is 20 feet away.

Which is why I quit using it in my mid thirties. My lesson didn't cost me much.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-19-21 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-19-21, 02:06 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I worked with a painter on a summer job years ago that used gasoline to clean brushes and rollers because typically it's cheaper than paint thinner or mineral spirits.

He was a cheap SOB but was a darn good painter. Man, I hated working with gasoline. I just knew I was dealing with an undetonated napalm bomb once the stuff got saturated with paint. Plus he had those cans sitting around the back of his van fumigating the inside.
I used to work at a fruit processing company every summer during college. One day they sent a bunch of us to help out in the fleet garage. I forget what exactly we did, but out hands got really filthy with black grease. The guys who worked there regularly told us the trick to getting it off - stick your hands in lacquer thinner, and pull them out about the time they start to sting!

I would not want to be their livers.

Old 07-19-21, 02:09 PM
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Nessism
A screw top gatorade bottle or similar is great for this sort of thing. Put the chain inside along with some clean solvent and shake like hell.
How hard do I have to shake? I did this a few times with acetone yesterday. The acetone turned grey and contained a lot of black flecks or specks. On the chain itself, only the rollers are shiny; the plates are still dull grey and do not look perfectly clean? I am hoping not to have to clean the chain with a Sonicare toothbrush over acetone; that cannot possibly be good for my health.
Old 07-19-21, 02:10 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
...stick your hands in lacquer thinner, and pull them out about the time they start to sting!
That's jacked-up, man. The skin can actually absorb lacquer thinner. It can other solvents too but not like lacquer thinner. Plus it dries the heck out of your skin.

I guess the original thread has been sufficiently hijacked by now.....
Old 07-19-21, 02:11 PM
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by genejockey
BTW, I can see a use for isopropanol IF you used an aqueous degreaser, to remove/replace the water in the chain with something that dries faster and more completely. But not after an organic solvent.
Yes, isopropyl alchol to chase off (volatilize?) residual Purple Power or Simple Green.
Old 07-19-21, 02:13 PM
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Iride01
I used gasoline for most all degreasing and cleaning things up until my mid 30's. Paint brush clean up too. It was cheap and readily available anywhere.

Just because I got away with it doesn't mean I wasn't stupid for using it.

Gasoline is just too volatile and it forms a puddle of invisible vapors that eventually find a spark. Even when the spark is 20 feet away.

Which is why I quit using it in my mid thirties. My lesson didn't cost me much.
Agreed. Yet so many chain waxing instructions still say to use gasoline as the first wash after wiping off the grease.
Old 07-19-21, 02:24 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That's jacked-up, man. The skin can actually absorb lacquer thinner. It can other solvents too but not like lacquer thinner. Plus it dries the heck out of your skin.

I guess the original thread has been sufficiently hijacked by now.....
Well, it was the mid-70s in rural Pennsylvania. Probably peak level of irresponsible environmental and occupational practices.