Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disk Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 05:16 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I know its not the pads, but what happens if you wear the rotor past the minimum thickness.
Has anyone ever had rotors break because they are too thin?
Old 06-02-21, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I only use rim brakes, so I don’t face this issue.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-02-21, 07:17 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
. Can't say I have ever had any issues with them.
....other than every time you brake when they are wet.
Old 06-02-21, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
My hydraulic rim brakes on my tandem have no issues when wet. They have no issues going down a mountain pass and not functioning because of overheating. My touring bicycle has disk brakes and they do not live up to what they are hyped to be. On a motor vehicle the rotors are made thick enough to handle the heat. They are not made thick enough to handle the heat with a heavy laden touring bicycle coming down a windy mountain pass and having to slow down behind traffic.
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-03-21, 12:48 AM

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Has anyone ever had rotors break because they are too thin?
My experience with bicycle disc brakes is minimal, but with solid rotor discs on cars or motorcycles, I have seen warping and cracking when they get too worn. As a bicycle disc is thinner and smaller, I would suspect the same would be possible.

To me, the brakes are that one piece of equipment that is frequently a very important factor in whether you are injured of killed if they do not work as intended. I make sure I know what the wear limits are and what the signs of needing to be serviced or replaced are for the brakes on my bicycles and my vehicles. I do not wait for them to fail or wear to the point of damaging the rotors (or rim). It is not a difficult measurement to take, especially since on a bicycle it is out in the clear and not behind a wheel. Being knowledgeable helps you know when to replace the pads or rotors, AND then to do it yourself or take it to the shop before it gets real expensive. It can also prevents surprises at the shop.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 06-03-21, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have descended passes in the Rockies and elsewhere riding fully-loaded bikes in the rain (and snow) with no issues. Or maybe I am dead right now and just don't know it, like in that movie?
Old 06-03-21, 07:34 AM

Exactly, preventative maintenance. Doesn't look like I'm hurting for brakes. I replace them before they are any issues and I am prepared.
I just got these in last week for my commuter/tourer. Still sitting here in my office. I’ll probably have them installed soon.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-21, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I know its not the pads, but what happens if you wear the rotor past the minimum thickness.
My guess is a warping of the rotor, and the rotor not returning to position either as quickly or at all.
Old 06-03-21, 08:28 AM
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have descended passes in the Rockies and elsewhere riding fully-loaded bikes in the rain (and snow) with no issues. Or maybe I am dead right now and just don't know it, like in that movie?
It doesn't rain much here and I have ridden in rain with no problems, tandem, roadie and MTB. I did a 4500 ft descent (21 miles of switchbacks) on a mountain road on my roadie in pouring rain with no brake issues. Had more "chain" issues going through river crossings on my mtb than any kind of V brake/rim problems.
My hydraulic rim brakes on my tandem have no issues when wet. They have no issues going down a mountain pass and not functioning because of overheating. .
Interesting line of reasoning throughout that seems to come down to......

Did Not Die = No Issues.

Yes, I too used rim brakes in wet, steep mountainous terrain and wet crossings for years and lived to talk about it. I am overall fine with a rim brake bike (I own several and even occasionally trail ride on one), but these are brakes, not family members. I don't get all bothered when the downsides are pointed out. I am not about to kid myself about braking in the wet. The braking is much less predictable before the rim is clear of water. But like so many other things, you don't really notice some issues until they are gone.

Look, I was responding to an off-topic post that was utterly irrelevant to the thread topic. Someone had no useful advice or insight about the OPs question about disc brakes, so instead they virtue signal about not using them, hoping to have a rim vs disc debate. And I made the mistake of feeding the troll. My bad.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-03-21, 08:35 AM
Advanced Slacker

My touring bicycle has disk brakes and they do not live up to what they are hyped to be. On a motor vehicle the rotors are made thick enough to handle the heat. .
Which brakes, which rotors, and which pads are you using? The last two make a HUGE difference.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-03-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-03-21, 08:37 AM

Did Not Die = No Issues.
That's now what I wrote. I wrote that I have had no issues. I then asked whether I am dead, wondering if death by rim brake was an issue I encountered without knowing it. However, the two are not are not inextricably linked.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-21, 08:43 AM
Advanced Slacker

That's now what I wrote. I wrote that I have had no issues. I then asked whether I am dead, wondering if death by rim brake was an issue I encountered without knowing it. However, the two are not are not inextricably linked.
Yeah, I was really stretching on that one
Old 06-03-21, 08:45 AM
Advanced Slacker

I just got these in last week for my commuter/tourer. Still sitting here in my office. I’ll probably have them installed soon.

Kool Stop Salmon are my go-to pads.

Still can't get them to fit in my disc calipers, though
Old 06-03-21, 08:54 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Kool Stop Salmon are my go-to pads.

Still can't get them to fit in my disc calipers, though
Those are for bigger discs in the 559 to 622 mm range. You might need something for the 160 to 140 mm range
Old 06-03-21, 09:22 AM

Which brakes, which rotors, and which pads are you using? The last two make a HUGE difference.
Paul Klamper Brakes: Kool Stop Avid Elixer SRAM MTB XX Sintered Metal Compound #KS-D296S pads. Hope 180mm front rotor. Magura Storm 203mm rotor rear. The front is the problem. It over heats. I just put a Magura ebike disk on the front and Kool Stop ceramic pads. I have to bed them in then I will see if there is improvement.
Old 06-03-21, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts

Did Not Die = No Issues.
Funny, and often true.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-03-21, 11:10 AM
Advanced Slacker

Paul Klamper Brakes: Kool Stop Avid Elixer SRAM MTB XX Sintered Metal Compound #KS-D296S pads. Hope 180mm front rotor. Magura Storm 203mm rotor rear. The front is the problem. It over heats. I just put a Magura ebike disk on the front and Kool Stop ceramic pads. I have to bed them in then I will see if there is improvement.
Well, that is certainly a good setup. Thank you for not being one of those people complaining about their 140mm rotors overheating.

Interested to see how the new rotor works. Are these the 220mm ones? I would think they would handle the heat much better than the 180s.

I was going to suggest sintered pads, but you already tried those. I've never used ceramic. Interested to know how they work. I understand they work very well when hot, but don't last very long and chew up rotors.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-03-21 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-03-21, 12:20 PM
Advanced Slacker

. Never had an issue or any kind of did not die situation.

Now cantilever brakes on a tandem, that's another story. Terrible stopping power but still, not even close to a "did not die" situation. More like a "we need to get rid of this ****" !!!!
I thought all situations are "did not die" situations up until one actually dies.
Old 06-03-21, 12:32 PM

Now cantilever brakes on a tandem, that's another story. Terrible stopping power but still, not even close to a "did not die" situation. More like a "we need to get rid of this ****" !!!!
My Tandem came with the self energizing cantilever brakes. rain, shine or snow they worked well. Once they were wore out. They were no longer available for sale. I found some Magura hs66 brakes at Cambria 18 years ago. They were new old stock. I had tried other cantilevers and they sucked compared to the self energizing brakes. The Magura rim brakes were and still are the best brakes I have ever owned.
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-08-21, 10:15 PM

Interested to see how the new rotor works. Are these the 220mm ones? I would think they would handle the heat much better than the 180s.
I can't go any larger than 180mm on the front rotor because the larger diameter rotor will sit against the fork blade. The new thicker 180mm rotor with the ceramic pads hasn't squalled and it is quieter then the sintered pads that I have on the rear. I had the wife drop me of up the hill a ways. This gives me over five miles with no stopes and one light that is easy to catch green. I did this several times. I coasted up to around 20mph and slowed down. I alternated between the front and sear brake. The front brake works better because I can actually use it now that it is not squalling.

I have seen some videos of the pros having locked up brakes. Mums is the word as to why this happened. There are some disk rotors that have an aluminum core with a thin outer metal braking surface. I have heard that the aluminum sometimes starts to melt. I believe some of these problems occurred because of under engineering. This isn't the industries first try at disk brakes for bicycles. I believe they can do better with the right motivation.