Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
I haven’t posted here in a while but after waiting for years with no tangible progress I finally decided to submit a request for a refund for my two pre-ordered bikes. I just received credit back on my statement and hope that remaining backers/those with pre-ordered units get their bikes soon. I’ve since acquired a couple of e-bikes and Helix no longer fits into my long-term plans. I wish Peter and everyone else waiting on bikes the best of luck.
How is it that Helix is open for orders from the general public with specific delivery dates, but they still haven't shipped to their early backers?
Old 01-03-22, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by tmesis
How is it that Helix is open for orders from the general public with specific delivery dates, but they still haven't shipped to their early backers?
Its normal: they most probably loose money on any bike made for the backers and early pre-orders due to the very low price offered to them while they earn money on the bikes they currently sell at a much higher price.

Remember that they have no obligation to provide a bike to their backers, backers didn't buy a bike, they give money to support the Helix project and if they receive something, its a reward. There is of course also no obligation to refund backers.

Batstar is, if I understand well, not a backer but a customer, he bought 2 Helix during the pre-order campaign that was launched after the end of the kickstarter campaign. Pre-order is an order but without a committed delivery date and a right for the buyer to cancel his pre-order with a refund from the seller.

Last edited by Jipe; 01-03-22 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-24-22, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Folding Change; road bike LIV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Here in Hong Kong there are now a few helix riders saying the bike is good for riding… but to be honest, the high price point does allow a lot of other choices such as buying a foldable frame plus high end crankset, cassette, carbon fork/handle bar, etc etc…
Likes For monsterfather:
Old 02-02-22, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by mkatz
My Helix bike is due to be shipped in early June.
We are now in February 2022, did you eventually receive your Helix?

If you did, what is your feedback about it compared to your previous folding bikes?
Old 02-16-22, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you find a helix?
Old 02-16-22, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mingo
Any new bike deliveries since the recall on the front fork?
did you get any responces?
Old 02-16-22, 12:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juliussharpe
Looking to buy a helix if anyone is selling please pm me, thanks
where you able to find a helix?
Old 02-16-22, 12:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
I can confirm it is a fractured weld. There are two welds very close together at the base of the steerer where it joins the upper half of the handle post hinge. It is the lower weld which has fractured. The mode of failure was loss of steering while riding, the locking mechanism did not fail so the handle bars did not detach from the bike. The rider managed to stop safely. Helix have requested owners not to ride the bikes as a precaution until investigations are complete. They have posted: "Right now it is impossible to determine whether or not this is an isolated issue, so as a precaution I ask that you all stop riding your bikes immediately until we have determined the cause of this failure. This is the highest priority and we are working quickly to resolve this asap.
have many other welds failed?
Old 02-16-22, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've been regularly monitoring the Helix Backers forum since the first failure was announced there, and I haven't seen any notifications of any further weld failures.
Old 02-19-22, 01:15 AM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Received this in my email today in case anyone is looking for a Helix...

Spring is Almost Here, are You Ready to Ride?

We are excited to announce new pricing for Helix.

When we started on our journey to make the world's best folding bike, we wanted to offer it at a price that would make this revolutionary bicycle accessible to all. As we finalized our design and built our factory, many factors changed and the cost to manufacture Helix ended up being higher than we expected.

As we gained experience, made improvements to our manufacturing process and optimized many other variables, we have made a big step towards realizing our original goal and in the process changing the economics of titanium bicycle manufacturing.

Helix is now available in Standard configuration for $300 USD less. Starting at just $2,690 USD, it is now the lowest cost titanium bike on the market.

While other bicycle companies are raising their prices and adding large margins to be able to sell in stores, we are committed to keeping Helix the best value possible by selling it directly from our factory.

To celebrate this milestone we are including Tubolito tubes, Tioga Ti rails saddle and extending FREE SHIPPING worldwide through the month of February.

Limited Quantites Available.
Old 02-19-22, 03:53 AM

It looks like sale aren't going as well as previously.

The "limited quantities available" aren't sold quickly as previously, this is probably the reason of the discount.

There are also eventually accessories announced: front carrier (with a very small box/bag on it, nothing comparable to the Brompton bags), rear rack (seems to fold like the Birdy folding rear rack), mudguards... but only engineering drawings, none are shown with real pictures and still not available.

Old 02-20-22, 02:16 AM

Bikes: Folding Change; road bike LIV

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalato
Received this in my email today in case anyone is looking for a Helix...
pretty big discount! But not sure if they can actually deliver… given their delayed delivery…
Old 02-20-22, 03:16 AM

They say "delivery April" curious to know if the previously ordered bikes were delivered on time?

The tires of the lightweight Helix that were TBA some time ago are again the Donnely cyclocross tires.
Old 02-21-22, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ACDC California
where you able to find a helix?
Not yet, I have an unread message but unfortunately the forum won’t let me access it until I’ve made 10 posts!
Old 02-28-22, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Helix

Originally Posted by jur
Chinese New Year wasn't figured into the component ordering schedule. Also, factory setup and tooling is taking much longer than anticipated. Schedule has slipped 2 months already, and I would expect more slippage especially when they actually start a trial run..
so I went down the helix rabbit hole and couldn't stop reading until I ran out of time, and was just wondering how it all turned out. Did everyone get their bikes?
Old 03-01-22, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by jdogg111
so I went down the helix rabbit hole and couldn't stop reading until I ran out of time, and was just wondering how it all turned out. Did everyone get their bikes?
No, not yet. Precise numbers not known but they've delivered about 650-700 backers bikes out of approximate total of 1150. Not sure if any pre-ordered bikes have been delivered, but there's about 650 of those in the queue in addition to the backer bikes. Approx 350-400 retail bikes have been delivered.
Old 03-01-22, 05:29 AM

I think no pre-ordered bike will ever be delivered because the price was too low (helix is probably loosing a lot of money on those pre-orders) and those pre-orders like any order can be cancelled by the buyers so Helix is just waiting that buyers cancel their pre-orders.
Old 03-07-22, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 5 Posts
No, not yet. Precise numbers not known but they've delivered about 650-700 backers bikes out of approximate total of 1150. Not sure if any pre-ordered bikes have been delivered, but there's about 650 of those in the queue in addition to the backer bikes. Approx 350-400 retail bikes have been delivered.
Well, about 18 months ago I asked for a refund of my Kickstarter pledge since they were offering it. I could have waited for my bike which was in the 1100's for backers, so 7 years after backing the project, I'd still be waiting, and the Helix is of no use to me if there's no purpose-built travel bag that will fit within the linear 62" airline requirement. It's a nice bike, but as a backer, I needed to move on.
Old 03-07-22, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last point, It's great to have a folding bike that doesn't look like a clown bike and still folds acceptably small. I will still be able to use the same old Samsonite for air travel which I used for previous bikes although I will have to deflate the tyres which will be a slightly inconvenient.
Is this the Samsonite Stryde suitcase? Interested because I have one for my Brompton; would be great to have it work with the Helix too...
Old 03-07-22, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Any Swift owners try the Helix?

I have my Swift (amazing ride), and a Brompton (great fold and luggage options). It'd be nice to have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-07-22, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any Toronto, Canada Helix bike owners here? Who would help a fellow cyclist test ride this bike one of these days when the weather is dry?
Old 03-07-22, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by mlau
Any Swift owners try the Helix?

I have my Swift (amazing ride), and a Brompton (great fold and luggage options). It'd be nice to have the best of both worlds.
I also have a Brompton that I like for its small fold and easiness to carry things in its front bag.

But even with an upgrade of almost all its components and a Rohloff to have an efficient transmission, it isn't as efficient as a good road bike.

A then bought a Birdy and this bike has the advantages of both world: it folds as easy as the Brompton and almost as small as the Brompton, its possible to mount 18"ETRTO355 or 16"ETRTO349 or 20"ETRTO406 wheels on it, accept up to 50mm wide tires, is as efficient as a road bike, allow offroad riding and its possible now to install a Brompton front block+Brompton front bag with an H&H adapter.
Old 03-08-22, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by wakeman
Is this the Samsonite Stryde suitcase? Interested because I have one for my Brompton; would be great to have it work with the Helix too...
No, It's an old Oyster II with 111 Litre capacity, so the sum of the dimensions is more than 62". That limitation has never been a problem for any flights I've wanted to take. All the carriers we've used up to now have weight limits for baggage which have been easy to respect. From memory, the case is about 5.5kg so it's possible to put additional items with the bike and still stay inside 20kg. If you can spare the storage space you might be able to pick up a used Oyster II at very low cost if the Stryde is too small.
Old 03-08-22, 05:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 03-11-22, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
I also have a Brompton that I like for its small fold and easiness to carry things in its front bag.

But even with an upgrade of almost all its components and a Rohloff to have an efficient transmission, it isn't as efficient as a good road bike.

A then bought a Birdy and this bike has the advantages of both world: it folds as easy as the Brompton and almost as small as the Brompton, its possible to mount 18"ETRTO355 or 16"ETRTO349 or 20"ETRTO406 wheels on it, accept up to 50mm wide tires, is as efficient as a road bike, allow offroad riding and its possible now to install a Brompton front block+Brompton front bag with an H&H adapter.

Is it only the newest model? Or do old models work well for this too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.