Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses--$200+?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sunglasses--$200+?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 08:34 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My experience with Oakley is very limited. I found a pair that looked great and were on sale for about $60. Loved the way they looked. After I lost a second contact lens from the wind blowing past the glasses, I gave them to a friend. He doesn't wear contacts. Started wearing my regular Maui Jim's and have been happy with them for the past 3 years. My optometrist told me they were optically the best lenses you could buy. I think I mentioned before that he got them for me at his cost.
Old 10-28-18, 08:36 AM

Old 10-28-18, 08:37 AM

Old 10-28-18, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by radroad
Notice that very few are vented, even some of the sports style glasses aren't vented.

Notice that all of the pair are very ugly and garish.

Notice that they are all still extremely expensive for what you get, which is a plastic frame and plastic lenses.
First let me apologize for being harsher in my comments than necessary. I've been finding nothing but arguments on a lot of cycling sites about things and I was tired.

One of the advantages of these more expensive sunglasses is that they usually have larger lenses. This gives you more peripheral vision. Just yesterday I fell down because of all things a pine cone fell out of a tree in front off me and apparently slipped under my front wheel. That was something of a shock to be riding along on fairly level pavement to be thrown off.
Old 10-28-18, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
When did Oakley say they were bulletproof? They never even hinted at that.
Although a 22 is a small caliber bullet, firing a 22 from a rifle would put a hole in a car door so what does this prove?

why does every argument have to be framed in the extreme?
Oakley is the industry leader. They are expensive.
That is all.
If you don't like them, there are other good options.
If you are more value conscious, there are plenty of options. Including, Oakley on sale as pointed out, that clearly are a tremendous value.

Originally Posted by bruce19
Old 10-28-18, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by logical
I would assume that the standard lenses that comes with the frame that I bought and the EV Radar frame itself does not meet the ANSI Z 87.1 standard. I'll take the lense meeting the standard though to protect my eyes. If Oakley sees fit to put a note in the box of the replacement lenses that says they meet the standard I'm inclined to believe they meet the standard.
All Oakley are produced the same way, and meet the same standards. Not all lenses are tested by ANSI, so only the specific ones they test will receive the ANSI z87.1 certification, but they are identical to the non-certified models.
Old 10-28-18, 09:52 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
When did Oakley say they were bulletproof? They never even hinted at that.
Although a 22 is a small caliber bullet, firing a 22 from a rifle would put a hole in a car door so what does this prove?

no hinting.. but the mini movies at the below make you kinda feel that they're happy for the their customers leap to conclusions

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/technol...pactprotection
Old 10-28-18, 10:30 AM

Old 10-28-18, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That video only reassures me that my lenses will give the highest possible protection while being optically near perfect.
To test impact protection, they kinda have to shoot projectiles to replicate real world situations.

They are open and happy to show their standards and practices to show why they are top quality products.
Why would anyone fault them for that... except haters, who will make anything they say a negative.

Customers aren't jumping to conclusions...

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

no hinting.. but the mini movies at the below make you kinda feel that they're happy for the their customers leap to conclusions

Old 10-29-18, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

Here is some of the ad print. What they don't tell you is that ALL polycarbs block 100% of uv rays.

Thermonuclear Protection

Oakley Plutonite® lens material stops every wavelength of ultraviolet radiation from the sun‘s thermonuclear furnace, not just the lower energy form called “UVA.” Even our clear lenses filter out 100% of all UV. The image at the left shows how harmful rays are blocked while the visible spectrum passes through.
Old 10-29-18, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup
All Oakley are produced the same way, and meet the same standards. Not all lenses are tested by ANSI, so only the specific ones they test will receive the ANSI z87.1 certification, but they are identical to the non-certified models.
You have repeated yourself at least five times but have no evidence to back up your claim. The moon is made of bleu cheese and Oprah Winfrey is an extraterrestrial. Repeat five times and it's true.
Old 10-29-18, 02:49 PM

You have repeated yourself at least five times but have no evidence to back up your claim. The moon is made of bleu cheese and Oprah Winfrey is an extraterrestrial. Repeat five times and it's true.
you should realize that you have no proof to back up your statement that non-certified lenses do not meet the same standard as ANSI certified models.

I know for a fact that there that all Oakley lenses are manufactured using the same materials/construction. Oakley has even stated that in the literature included with their lenses.

Last edited by noodle soup; 10-29-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 02:55 PM

you should realize that you have no proof to back up your statement that non-certified lenses do not meet the same standard as ANSI certified models.
I didn't say that. I said you have no proof that they do. Nice try though.

I know for a fact that there that all Oakley lenses are manufactured using the same materials/construction. Oakley has even stated that in the literature included with there lenses.
LMGTFY
Old 10-29-18, 03:51 PM

I didn't say that. I said you have no proof that they do. Nice try though.

LMGTFY

i guess it’s only a fact, if you read it on the internet.
Old 10-29-18, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I believe Noodle because he has been a longtime poster here who has in many posts previous shown an intimate knowledge of Oakley products and manufacture. That is enough for me to believe that his statements pertaining Oakley to be true when he says, “l know for a fact”
Old 10-29-18, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62
I believe Noodle because he has been a longtime poster here who has in many posts previous shown an intimate knowledge of Oakley products and manufacture. That is enough for me to believe that his statements pertaining Oakley to be true when he says, “l know for a fact”

Where are these posts? I will gladly read or watch any source of evidence in support of this claim, yet he or she refuses to present any. Claiming that "someone posts a lot" about a topic or brand is no substitute for credible evidence.

i guess it’s only a fact, if you read it on the internet.
So, list the tv show where we can find the evidence. Or, the magazine story. A story in a physical print newspaper. A book I can find and read. Your own video documentary on manufacturing processes within multiple Oakley plants. I don't care where the evidence is, as long as it's credible evidence.

An anonymous poster on the internet with no evidence is not credible. I have given you countless opportunities to produce something, anything, to document and verify your claims and you have failed completely. An "epic fail" in internet parlance.

Last edited by radroad; 10-29-18 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Where are these posts? I will gladly read or watch any source of evidence in support of this claim, yet he or she refuses to present any. Claiming that "someone posts a lot" about a topic or brand is no substitute for credible evidence.

So, list the tv show where we can find the evidence. Or, the magazine story. A story in a physical print newspaper. A book I can find and read. Your own video documentary on manufacturing processes within multiple Oakley plants. I don't care where the evidence is, as long as it's credible evidence.

An anonymous poster on the internet with no evidence is not credible. I have given you countless opportunities to produce something, anything, to document and verify your claims and you have failed completely. An "epic fail" in internet parlance.
I was stating why I believe him. If you want information, you will have to do some digging on your own.
Old 10-29-18, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62
Thank you for understanding the situation that I'm in.

I guess this isn't enough for some people.

​​​​​​​
Old 10-29-18, 07:59 PM

I know for a fact that there that all Oakley lenses are manufactured using the same materials/construction. Oakley has even stated that in the literature included with their lenses.
It's pretty obvious you are going to repeat yourself until you are blue in the face yet never present a shred of evidence.
Old 10-29-18, 08:06 PM

Just to throw a little more fuel to the fire on this debate..

You both may be right in this case. I went down to the Oakley store to pick up a pair of Radar EV Paths because I was getting tired of my Nike polarized sunglasses. Anyway I went with the cheapest version of the frame(because I wasnt going to use the lens that came with it. I got these frames (EV Path Standard Issue) and picked up these lenses(Fire Iridium Polarized) cause I want a polarized set. Neither the frames nor the replacement lenses say anything about being ANSI Z certified on Oakleys website. However, in the box of the Fire Iridium lenses this little note fell out:

I can safely say that this pair of replacement polarized lenses from Oakley do in fact meet the the standard. Whether or not its actually certified may be a different thing. I would assume that the standard lenses that comes with the frame that I bought and the EV Radar frame itself does not meet the ANSI Z 87.1 standard. I'll take the lense meeting the standard though to protect my eyes. If Oakley sees fit to put a note in the box of the replacement lenses that says they meet the standard I'm inclined to believe they meet the standard.

BTW, great pair of sunglasses and way better than the Nike polarized set I had mostly because they are cycling specific. But the clarity of lenses are VERY nice.
An interesting case study but this doesn't tell us whether all Oakley lenses and frames are certified. Without certification, I assume a product doesn't meet the standard until proven otherwise. I can't accept the word of an anonymous internet poster. I only accept the results of independent testing.
Old 10-29-18, 08:28 PM
______

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An interesting case study but this doesn't tell us whether all Oakley lenses and frames are certified. Without certification, I assume a product doesn't meet the standard until proven otherwise. I can't accept the word of an anonymous internet poster. I only accept the results of independent testing.
Yeah I'm not posting my word... just what came in the box of my Oakleys. If Oakley is putting the note in the box with the replacement lenses then it meets the standard. There are legal ramifications for claiming something about your product and it not meeting what you claim.... At least here in the US. That is word straight from Oakley about a product I bought.
Old 10-29-18, 08:28 PM

It's pretty obvious you are going to repeat yourself until you are blue in the face yet never present a shred of evidence.
FTR, I didn't repeat myself(again), but you claim that I did.
Old 10-29-18, 08:41 PM

Yeah I'm not posting my word... just what came in the box of my Oakleys. If Oakley is putting the note in the box with the replacement lenses then it meets the standard. There are legal ramifications for claiming something about your product and it not meeting what you claim.... At least here in the US. That is word straight from Oakley about a product I bought.
I didn't say your lenses didn't meet the standard: I'm questioning whether ALL Oakley lenses meet the industrial standard. This ignores the question of whether the frames meet the standard independently also.

FTR, I didn't repeat myself(again), but you claim that I did.
Still no proof. Not even a single shred of evidence!

And yes, you are repeating yourself: "all oakleys meet the industrial standard, copy, paste, repeat.."
Old 10-29-18, 09:07 PM
______

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't say your lenses didn't meet the standard: I'm questioning whether ALL Oakley lenses meet the industrial standard. This ignores the question of whether the frames meet the standard independently also.
"
Fair enough. I can only speak for what I have. I don't think all lenses and frames meet the standard. I'm glad I got a pair of lenses that supposedly does but if it didn't it wouldn't sway my purchase anyway.
Old 10-29-18, 10:04 PM

Fair enough. I can only speak for what I have. I don't think all lenses and frames meet the standard. I'm glad I got a pair of lenses that supposedly does but if it didn't it wouldn't sway my purchase anyway.
Neither do I. Noodle soup claims all Oakley lenses and frames do but has not produced a single iota of evidence in support of this claim. And he's been going on for days about it too. Every time he's called out for his lack of proof he posts a gif, a meme or calls me names. It's so childish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.