Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Bearings or Stick with steel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ceramic Bearings or Stick with steel

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 11:36 AM
dragon

Bikes: hybrid self bulid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeh my stuborness is from being an old guy
Old 10-02-12, 11:40 AM
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray Evans
Yes we all love riding of course I do about 40 clicks daily. Just wondering. How many times have you rode on ceramic bearings? you seem very sure they are inferior. "A true upgrade". No one in this forum has disputed that a grade 5 ball is a grade five ball regardless of what is made of. As far as i can reason the dispute is not that ceramics arent as good as steel but whether they are significantly noticeably so. And for the price.
how far is a click?
Old 10-02-12, 11:51 AM
dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes I am an engineer like I said I have worked among other industries for Rolls Royce on the Concorde RB 211, Tornado RB 199 and the Harrier Pegasus jet engines.
I do not wish to get personal or argue pad-antics or silly engineering theories you believe you know.
But if you are going to propose something it might be an idea to first look as others have at the rotating speeds a bike runs at.
1 Yes a harder surface will ware a softer one but if the coeficient of friction is reduced by the superior hard surface shouldnt this equal less ware. Especially when the actual medium touching both surfaces is the grease.Also please consider the advantages because there is no attraction of the molecules between steel and ceramic.
Oh yeh sorry I was too lazy to use spell check. After using Swedish for the last 15 years you tend to drop a vowel or two now and again.
Old 10-02-12, 11:51 AM
dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not too far a kilometer
Old 10-02-12, 12:03 PM
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
yeh thats my bias i started using them because I commute 40klms everyday and in the winter it is a little hard in Sweden -20 degrees on a good day. I am so in love with the result that I decided to buy them bulk combine them with SKF brand lithium soap and sell them at a price everyone can afford.
You can also find some tips on carbon fiber on my site if your interested because I think that is the only way to travel also. And if i can get some quality frames from Tiawan cheap I will also pass on the savings there.
And i am experimenting on Bamboo as an ecological alternative building material.
I hope its not a crime. I do have a bias but I also have knowledge about the subject and have worked in engineering for nearly 40years.
how far is a klm?

yes I am an engineer like I said I have worked among other industries for Rolls Royce on the Concorde RB 211, Tornado RB 199 and the Harrier Pegasus jet engines.
I do not wish to get personal or argue pad-antics or silly engineering theories you believe you know.
But if you are going to propose something it might be an idea to first look as others have at the rotating speeds a bike runs at.
1 Yes a harder surface will ware a softer one but if the coeficient of friction is reduced by the superior hard surface shouldnt this equal less ware. Especially when the actual medium touching both surfaces is the grease.Also please consider the advantages because there is no attraction of the molecules between steel and ceramic.
Oh yeh sorry I was too lazy to use spell check. After using Swedish for the last 15 years you tend to drop a vowel or two now and again.
not too far a kilometer
ooooooh! you mean a klick! silly me!
Old 10-02-12, 12:17 PM
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I grew up in a steel town watching those smoking stacks poluting the adjacent mountain.
Not even a tree survived. I am not an expert but surly ceramic is better than steel for the enviroment.
This is the quote that most clearly shows that you are not an engineer. You don't have the faintest understanding of proportions. You saw smokestacks and didn't even consider how much steel the smelters were producing.

What you are is a salesman. The kind of speech you use, the kind of BS you try to sell, is all typical of salespeople. As others have remarked already, you do not have a firm grasp on engineering, and it's pointless that you continue peddling the lie that you worked in the aerospace industry as an engineer.

Please stop. It is starting to be embarrassing.
Old 10-02-12, 01:46 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've already posted the opinion of someone well recognized in the bicycling industry but aerospace keeps coming up.
OK - so lets consider what the aerospace industry thinks about bearings of all types:
Many aerospace bearing and mechanism failures can be traced back to the intrinsic inadequacy of currently available materials. Conventional hardened bearing steels are prone to corrosion. Bearings made from corrosion resistant alloys and plastics are relatively soft and prone to wear. Hybrid ceramic ball-steel raced bearings are susceptible to denting by the much harder ceramic balls.
Source: Dr. Christopher DellaCorte, NASA Glenn Research Center, "Corrosion-immune, shockproof bearings" published in ASM, August 31, 2012
The bearings exhibited a maximum life for a deltaH of approximately 1 to 2 points with increasing deltaH until a minimum value was obtained at a value of deltaH of approximately 2 points Rockwell C.
Source: NASA TN D-3101 "BEARING LIFE AND FAILURE DISTRIBUTION AS AFFECTED BY ACTUAL COMPONENT DIFFERENTIAL HARDNESS", Erwin V. Zaretsky, Richard J. Parker, William J. Anderson, and David W. Reichard; November 1965

To quickly summarize the findings in that last document - a differential of 2 or more points in Rockwell C Hardness (bearings / race or race / bearings) consistently resulted in a reduced bearing life of 30 to 40%. Ceramic bearings weren't tested in that document, but sticking them in any conventional bearing race would give a differential of over 10 points on the Rockwell scale.

Ceramic bearings work fine in high stiffness, high load, high-speed bearings and for applications that include high temperature or corrosive conditions like bearings for gas turbine hot sections where the motion is uniform and purely rotational. And fully ceramic bearings are best suited for most of those applications. Personally I like high tech stuff in bicycles - but not when it actually increases maintenaince requirements with no measurable performance gains.

Last edited by Burton; 10-02-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-02-12, 03:51 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
1 Yes a harder surface will ware a softer one but if the coeficient of friction is reduced by the superior hard surface shouldnt this equal less ware. Especially when the actual medium touching both surfaces is the grease. Also please consider the advantages because there is no attraction of the molecules between steel and ceramic.
First semi-illiterate engineer I've seen. The above is more than spell check - it's carelessness and lazy slang grammar that would lead me not to trust the engineering work of such a person.
Old 10-02-12, 04:26 PM

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
But generally, the super hard "ceramics" are excellent at heat conduction.
Well, some good has come of this argument - I've learned something new.

throw it away it will give you altimers hahaha
Wait, what?

If you're referring to the fact that aluminium allegedly causes alzheimer's disease (to use the correct spelling), thanks for your concern but I'm not worried.
Old 10-02-12, 10:18 PM
dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its starting to be embarrassing???

Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
This is the quote that most clearly shows that you are not an engineer. You don't have the faintest understanding of proportions. You saw smokestacks and didn't even consider how much steel the smelters were producing.

What you are is a salesman. The kind of speech you use, the kind of BS you try to sell, is all typical of salespeople. As others have remarked already, you do not have a firm grasp on engineering, and it's pointless that you continue peddling the lie that you worked in the aerospace industry as an engineer.

"Please stop. It is starting to be embarrassing".
You quote, opinions on pollution are totally misleading people about the quantities of nickel used in a ceramic bearing. As you know it is not proportionate to a 100% steel ball. You make assumptions that someone is not an engineer because of a few spelling mistakes. You go on about sintered products which last time i looked make great bearings but have nothing to do with the construction of bicycle bearings and are cold pressed. They dont use four times the energy in manufacturing as steel bearings or a typical Bessemer furnace.
And yes I know the difference between steam coming out of those stacks at the local steel works and the stench of Sulphar. Or the cancerous effects of chromium which is typically used in stainless steel production. As I have already said the mountain adjacent was dead and black.
I have worked for Rolls Royce Aeronautics, Glouscester road Patchway, Bristol England not that it is relevant to whether a ceramic bearing is good or not and take offense at your constant ignorant rantings and deliberate misinformation.
I am no salesman but you DEFINATELY work for someone who has a vested interest in keeping everyone in the dark.

IF YOU ARE AN ENGINEER OR RELATED FIELD YOU WORK FOR THE BAD GUYS. So please dont embarrass yourself.
Old 10-02-12, 10:19 PM
dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure if it makes you happy alzheimer.
Old 10-02-12, 10:24 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
First semi-illiterate engineer I've seen. The above is more than spell check - it's carelessness and lazy slang grammar that would lead me not to trust the engineering work of such a person.
To be fair, I work with plenty of bright, capable engineers with horrible spelling and careless typing (when in conversation). That said, attention to those things would make our Swede's job a little easier. Still not convinced enough to give up my steel bearings, though.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-02-12, 11:37 PM
dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good for you and thanks for respect. Yes I am a terrible speller in any language.
Old 10-02-12, 11:42 PM
dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys I dont know about you but I think we all have pretty set Ideas concerning steel against ceramic, but would any of you be of the same opinion as me.That given the bearing surfaces are all relatively at a high performance level. The membrane between them (i mean lubrication) is of equal importance if not more important in reducing friction.
Can the guy who was discussing teflon powder please tell us more. I for one think he might be on to something and am extremely interested in hearing what he had to say.
Old 10-03-12, 02:15 AM

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
IF YOU ARE AN ENGINEER OR RELATED FIELD YOU WORK FOR THE BAD GUYS. So please dont embarrass yourself.
Don't call us out on that, the last guy who did vanished under mysterious circumstances!
Old 10-03-12, 02:25 AM
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
You quote, opinions on pollution are totally misleading people about the quantities of nickel used in a ceramic bearing. As you know it is not proportionate to a 100% steel ball. You make assumptions that someone is not an engineer because of a few spelling mistakes.
Where did I do that? Man, your reading comprehension is seriously compromised.
Old 10-04-12, 05:33 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
...... I am no salesman but you DEFINATELY work for someone who has a vested interest in keeping everyone in the dark.

Ray - I think you probably believe what you're saying, however, I'm going to suggest you dig a lot deeper into bearing technology before you continue with your little venture. I've done a search on eBay and apparently you have three seperate ads going peddling ceramic ball replacements for front and rear wheels and pedals.

The problem is really simple. You can't just dump ceramic balls in a conventional bearing and call it a hybrid. Insisting on doing that will, quite simply, shorten the expected bearing life by about 30% regardless of how round or how smooth those little guys are. True hybrid ceramic bearings are designed with different contact angles because the bearing loads differently as a result of the ceramics having different properties.

So check it out - otherwise you'll just end up being one of the 'bad guys' yourself.

Last edited by Burton; 10-04-12 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-31-15, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good steel bearing made from 52100 is made to withstand 200,000 PSI an temps up to 300F with a Rockwell harness of 64+depending on heat treat!
These will out last most bearing cups.
The problem is cheap low carbon 1018 and other low grade Chinese stuff you find in most bike shops.
Ceramic bearings start to come into play at very high temps steelREX20 bearings can take,over 600F.
These Bearings are mostly made of Tungsten steel.
Ceramic Bearings can take up to 1500F Example (Si3N4)
The real question is less one about the bearing itself but the lubricant used with them.
I don't like having to disassemble a bike to re grease every 3 to 4 months as most bicycle greases require to protect the moving parts from ware.
Car wheel bearing grease is just to thick and not made for the speed and heat range of a bicycle no matter how strong you think your legs are.
The grease I find works best has been pretty hard to find and must be purchased in large amounts.I use Chevron Ultra Duty Industrial- EXTENDED SERVICE red grease NLGI 2 and (G25) 52100 balls.
I grease once a year and it dose not migrate. It dose a great job.And the bearings show no ware when put in a dial caliper.
BTW a pound of tire pressure,a heavy meal or an open flannel shirt will have more impact on speed than what bearings you choose.
Having given my opinion, If ceramic bearings make you feel better about your bike,give you confidence and you have lots of extra$$$$ to spend. WHY THE HECK NOT?
It's your bike!
Bearings and grease actually create very little drag unless your doing something way outside the norm.
Keeping everything lubed and turning freely is priority #1 .

A good read on ball bearings. Ball Material Selection

A good read on grease The best (bicycle) grease ever?: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

Last edited by goraman; 01-31-15 at 10:56 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 01-31-15, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Are zombies steel or ceramic ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-31-15, 11:23 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
...I miss @Ray Evans.
Old 01-31-15, 11:24 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
...but not very much.
Old 02-01-15, 12:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks cool, but would it make a lot of difference once packed in grease?
If you took 2 identical bikes one with bearings of good quality and one with these,the rider would not be able to tell the difference.

https://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7722?

The quality is awesome, and they are cool to look at.
I may put them on a very high end bike just for bragging rights though.

Last edited by goraman; 02-01-15 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-01-15, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by goraman
This looks cool, but would it make a lot of difference once packed in grease?
If you took 2 identical bikes one with bearings of good quality and one with these,the rider would not be able to tell the difference.

6201 Full Ceramic Bearing 12x32x10 Si3N4/PTFE Ball Bearings CeramicBallBearings

The quality is awesome, and they are cool to look at.
I may put them on a very high end bike just for bragging rights though.
Not sure how much bragging rights are worth..

If I'm on a ride, and someone tells me he has ceramic bearings, I am likely to think less of him, not more.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-01-15, 09:24 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I miss @Ray Evans. ......but not very much.
Yeah, he was a bit convincing until Burton discovered he was selling ceramic bearing on ebay.
Old 02-01-15, 12:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Not sure how much bragging rights are worth..

If I'm on a ride, and someone tells me he has ceramic bearings, I am likely to think less of him, not more.
The ceramic bearings are a work of art and probably the state of the art unless they are working on something new at Skunkworks.
I really don't care one way or the other what people ride, If you saw my bike you would not be impressed it's a 40 year old Raleigh Sprite 3 speed but it has been well cared for and it suits my need for a bike.

When my son gets older I will most likely build him something state of the art and very cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.