Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just how big is the Miyata Cult?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just how big is the Miyata Cult?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 03:55 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
why is it that the high-end Miyatas have cable guides for the rear brake line rather than Housing Tops at either end of the Top Tube? I thought full length Housing runs were considered not as good as the alternative
Old 04-22-10, 06:57 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
why is it that the high-end Miyatas have cable guides for the rear brake line rather than Housing Tops at either end of the Top Tube? I thought full length Housing runs were considered not as good as the alternative
I don't know, but I do remember that opinions change back and forth. In the late 70's and early 80's some considered all kinds of brazeons to be dangerous, so we had to clip our cables to the top tube. This is probably where Miyata gets the style of brazing cable guides on. But I feel cable stops do a better job.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-09-10, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinyville
Ha, thanks! I got really into the styling of the old French randonneur bikes, and I've tried to give it a classic look like those. When I got it, it was totally stock--foam on the handlebars, no fenders, etc. 100 bucks! I added the saddle, fenders, bar tape--the bar ends are wine corks from my favorite local winery, James Arthur Vineyards, which by the way just won for best white wine in the Monterey Wine Competition: https://journalstar.com/news/local/ar...cc4c03286.html

Those extra reflectors on the front wheel are actually 2 light-up things that are green when activated. I have a rear light on the back of the rack on the reflector mounts, another one on the seatpost, and another on my helmet. One front headlight and little bell on the bars, though I'm looking for a reflector-mount light for the front of the new/old front rack, too. Still looks classic while being safe as my daily commuter and errand bike.

Tires are 28 Pasela TGs, which I've been really happy with--I wanted something with puncture resistance and the gumwall look to keep it similar to the original radial tires. Those are pretty worn, but I kept them around just for fun.

All that's left to do is one more bottle cage and some salmon kool stops, (and possibly that front relector-mount light if I can find one), and then I'll leave it alone for a loooong time.

Here's another picture I took after installing the front rack this weekend. The rack isn't in perfect shape--it's a little bent on top--but it'll do nicely, and still is cool for being age appropriate and probably manufactured by the same place as the original rear rack.

And, amusingly, my wife snapped a pic of me and submitted it to this goofy site about a month ago:

https://hotdudesonbikes.com/post/481944451/lincoln-ne

Here's a few more from my morning commute, now with 2nd bottle cage:

That is a really beautifull bike!
Old 06-09-10, 11:56 PM
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
I have one of these frames... 1989(?) Miyata Ridge Runner Team. Built it up into my county road cruiser
I also used to ride with the owner of this bike (Greg Herbold who raced for Miyata) all the time, back in the very early 90s.
And coincidentally, my very first real road bike was a Miyata 310.

Last edited by dgodave; 06-10-10 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-10-10, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Hello Dave

Very nice frame it is. I happen to have its European Koga cousin. It's yellow with panther spots, but except for that identical.

That particular bike pictured is the bike Greg conquered the '90 DH Worlds title with.
Old 06-10-10, 08:40 AM
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by Elev12k
Hello Dave

Very nice frame it is. I happen to have its European Koga cousin. It's yellow with panther spots, but except for that identical.

That particular bike pictured is the bike Greg conquered the '90 DH Worlds title with.
Yeah, he saw me riding it recently and turned around his motorcycle to chat about it. He lives a few miles from me.
Old 06-10-10, 04:32 PM

Cool. He was a colorfull character in the MTB racing scene back then.

After he conquered the '90 DH Worlds a Herbold signature edition was issued. I happen to have that frame and hope to build it up somewhere in future.

Old 06-10-10, 07:17 PM
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I finally got around to dressing up my GranWinner! I just need to string cables, housing, and bar tape to have a ridable bicycle
Old 06-10-10, 11:40 PM
Behold my avatar:

Cool. He was a colorfull character in the MTB racing scene back then.

After he conquered the '90 DH Worlds a Herbold signature edition was issued. I happen to have that frame and hope to build it up somewhere in future.

Wow. That looks like the bonded Ti bike. Ive never even seen one of those.
When I moved to Durango I quicky fell in with the guys at Durango Cyclery who were the Miyata dealer... and I'd do their evening mtb rides. Greg was on a lot of those. We'd do silly descents. I sucked. I was literally known as the guy NOT to follow because my lines were terrible. I got a lot better later.
Old 06-11-10, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've become a card carrying member!
Old 06-13-10, 11:02 AM
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So, I finished my GranWinner last night and took it out for a nice 40 mile ride this AM. It's nice The ride is firm/solid and the steering is predictable. Compared to my 531DB Woodrup, this thing is rigid with almost no flex. When I mash up a hill, the bike takes off! It weighs in at 21.5 lbs without trying hard...thats with the SPD mountain pedals.

Dura Ace 7400 crank, FD, RD, BB, brifters

Sakae FX seat post

Tektro dual pivot brakes

Regal saddle

Fizik bar tape

Mavic Askium Race wheels

Last edited by YoKev; 06-13-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 12:58 AM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: 2003 Trek 520, 1996 Trek 370, 1996 Bianchi Osprey, too many others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have already posted this in the "Show Us Your Vintage Touring Bike" thread, but it probably belongs in here.

I have recently acquired a 50cm Clamont Fifteen Hundred tourer frame, which I now believe was made by Miyata.

More pictures at PhotoBucket, including the Japanese made rack that came with it.

dokydoky alerted me to the possibility that it may be a Miyata by noting the similarities between my frame and his Miyata 1000, including the colour and the decal script.

I have since looked at a number of Miyata 1000s online and it appears to be the same bike.

I am aware that there was a Miyata 1400, but is anybody aware of a Miyata 1500?

One difference between my frame and the Miyata 1000 seems to be that whereas the 1000 was triple butted, mine has a decal that says "Double Butted".

As I said in the other thread, The Clamont brand was, and is, predominantly applied by an Australian bike importer/retailer called Clarence Street Cyclery to various frames built in Australia by a fellow named Paul Hillbrick. Mr Hillbrick still makes frames today, but under his own name. My frame carries a Clarence Street Cyclery decal.

My frame is a bit of an anomoly because it also features a "Made in Japan" decal. Following up on dokydoky's lead I have googled "Myata" "Clamont" and "bicycle" and found numerous references to Miyatas rebadged as Clamonts in Australia. I'm guessing that Clarence Street imported Miyatas and rebadged them as Clamonts for the Australian market during the mid 80s.

I haven't got to the bottom of this yet, and I would appreciate any more relevant information.

My original plan was to build it up as a 700C bike by using parts from my 2003 Trek 520, which is one size too big.

However, it now seems that a more sympathetic restoration, including 27" wheels, is warranted!!
Old 06-15-10, 01:09 AM

Bikes: 69' Colnago, 74' DeRosa, 75' Masi Gran Criterium, 83' Tomas, 85' Daccordi Turbo, 90' Eddy Merckx 7/11, 92' Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 92' Basso Astra,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a very nice almost unriden Koga Miyata on the seller forum. Have a look!
Old 06-15-10, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by YoKev
So, I finished my GranWinner last night and took it out for a nice 40 mile ride this AM. It's nice The ride is firm/solid and the steering is predictable. Compared to my 531DB Woodrup, this thing is rigid with almost no flex. When I mash up a hill, the bike takes off! It weighs in at 21.5 lbs without trying hard...thats with the SPD mountain pedals.
Sounds good. Happy I kept one.
Old 06-15-10, 06:41 AM
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds good. Happy I kept one.
Good move. You should definitely build it up someday! BTW, thanks for offering it for sale.
Old 06-15-10, 06:57 AM

Actually it is a little too small for me, but you never know whether a right sized person in my very direct circle walks by. But also for keeping the Miyata collection in tact it is crucial.

Kev, you have to add pads to protect the frame from cable rub
Old 06-15-10, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first race bike was an early 80's Miyata Team. I built it up with Record. It got me through Cat 4 and 3 and who knows how many crashes. I put it on the frame jig before I sold it and it was dead nuts on. What a well built, great riding and handling bike. Not the fastest, not the most nimble, not the most comfortable ride, just a solid race bike that I wish I still had. I may have a pic, I'll check.
Old 06-15-10, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I joined the cult a couple summers ago with a mid-eighties 310 model. Unfortunately I had to sell it because I was a broke college student at the time. I've more than made up for it because at this point I have two Miyata bikes in my stable. One is an '88 712 and the other is an '86 615gt. I had the 712 out the other day for the first time in a long while and, gosh, it is such a nice riding bike. I don't see myself getting rid of the two I own now, but I do see myself collecting more Miyata's as they cross my path.

Since the picture of the 615 was taken I've removed the dork disc and front reflector and added a nice bottle cage from Velo Orange. Also, both bike are wearing all their original components, except for the saddles and pedals. And, the SKS P45 fenders were an addition to the 615.
Old 06-15-10, 08:19 AM
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kev, you have to add pads to protect the frame from cable rub
Yep, that's the one last final detail I need to do. Good eye
Old 06-24-10, 06:09 PM

Bikes: 1985 Miyata Seven Ten Steel Blue with Gold Head, original owner, bought new

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1985 Miyata 710 bought new in '85

Hi all, Tom from NJ. I have a Miyata 710 in Steel Blue and Gold head tube that I bought new in '85. Its is still in excellent condition, better than it should due to being ridden sparingly. A guy at a bike shop trued a wheel for me and said that although it's an old vintage and somewhat obsolete design, (subjective) that a bike today with the quality of build would easily cost close to $1,000. I asked him if he was kidding since I think it was about $300-$350 or so when I bought it at Mahn's in Eatontown NJ way back then. Are these bikes really that highly regarded?

Incidentally shortly after I purchased the bike, the (stainless steel) spokes had some surface issue with the spokes. Mr. Mahn contacted Miyata and got me a second set of wheels but instead of black hard anodized rims, these are a goldish/bronze, also hard anodized with a slightly different freewheel cluster. The bonus is that I didn't have to return the original wheels, still got em! The black suede Selle Italia saddle is still in great shape too.

The bike is fast and a joy to ride. Guess I'm a member of the cult and didn't know it. I'll post some pictures soon if anyone is interested.
Old 06-25-10, 04:59 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by YoKev

Dura Ace 7400 crank, FD, RD, BB, brifters

Sakae FX seat post

Tektro dual pivot brakes

Regal saddle

Fizik bar tape

Mavic Askium Race wheels

That my friend is a beauty!
Old 06-25-10, 07:51 AM
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you
Old 08-26-10, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My "new" 1979 Koga Miyata Pro Racer. Beautiful, outstanding bike!!!!!!

Likes For wtgrantham:
Old 08-27-10, 07:20 AM

Bikes: Koga Kimera Team Edition (2011) & TREK 5200 US Postal (2004)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure is it's a Miyata, but for sure a Koga!

I'm not sure if this is still a Miyata, but for sure it's a Koga.

Just have it for 2 weeks now
Old 08-27-10, 07:28 AM

No, that is for sure not a Japan made Miyata frame. Still a very fine modern bike of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.