Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are gravel and adventure bikes accepted?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are gravel and adventure bikes accepted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 06:18 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Your gravel roads must be very poor if a MTB is better on them. Maybe things in CO are different. Here in MI, there is absolutely no need for any more suspension than a thick tire. Of course, our gravel roads are regular residential roads, they just aren't (and never have been) paved. A road bike with a fat tire, aka: gravel bike, is darn near optimal.

Take a look in the gravel ride pic thread: Gravel Ride Pics and you'll see plenty of gravel roads where suspension would just suck energy and provide little practical benefit.
I am in Colorado now. The forest service roads and county maintained dirt roads vary widely in condition. I have posted a few pics along the way of some different roads. Some are almost tarmac smooth. Others are rough. Being from NOLA, I am not a climber at all, and I am not a model of fitness. My "gravel" bike climbs well. I pass far more 29er MTBs than pass me. But when things start going downhill they eat my lunch. I have to ride the brakes because some of the surface irregularities are dangerous descending at speed on 32mm tires and no suspension.

I may occupy rare ground in this discussion. Gravel bikes are just another master of none bikes. Road bikes are better on the road, and MTBs are better in many offroad conditions. With that said, I have done some rides where either a road bike or an MTB would have sucked. A 60 mile loop that's about 70% pavement, 15% smooth dirt/gravel and 15% moderately rough gravel. I am thrilled with my build!
Old 07-24-18, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
My "gravel bike" is also my road bike, comfort bike, off road bike and light singletrack. Works for me. I don't care if others don't like it.

Edit add. Also my ~ 1 week off road touring bike with 25# of rack, panniers, and handlebar bag strapped on.

Last edited by u235; 07-24-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 10:29 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
My "gravel bike" is also my road bike, comfort bike, off road bike and light singletrack. Works for me. I don't care if others don't like it.
Yup. Swap the wheels and head out. mine is also my rain bike, camera bike, and light-touring bike.
Old 07-24-18, 08:25 PM

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a gravel bike is nothing more than an endurance road bike with big tires. What does that mean?

1. Comfort over a long ride
2. Ability to take some 'road less traveled' type rides
3. Ability to link together long stretches of pavement with rides through wooded areas

Sure you could do this all with a mountain bike, but you'd be slow as heck on the pavement and you don't have nearly as many hand position options.

gravel bikes are accepted because they aren't compromises, and hybrids tend to be compromises, i.e. they frequently (not all of them, but many of them) end up being the 'worst' of both worlds, i.e. they lack the tire clearance and ruggedness of a MTB while lacking the speed and light weight of a road bike.
Old 07-24-18, 08:36 PM

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If there's a "fad" whose time is limited, it's frames that won't accommodate bigger than a 25mm wide tire. Whatever they decide to call them in the future, dropbar bikes that fit a 32mm (or wider) tire are here to stay. Thankfully.
amen.
Old 07-24-18, 10:27 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Trek FX is a flat-bar road bike, IMHO that's not a hybrid.
From Trek's website...

FX 1 is a hybrid bike with a lightweight aluminum frame and upgrades on the parts that make the biggest difference in performance. It's perfect for anyone looking to get out more, ride as a family, do a bit of exercise, or commute to work on a versatile bike backed by a lifetime warranty.

I ride with a few dozen kids who use fx1 bikes. They are as hybrid as it gets. MTB drivetrain, smooth tires wider than road and narrower than MTB, and upright position.

pretty hybrid right there.
Old 07-25-18, 03:01 AM

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Isn't anti hybrid & anti flat bar snobbery just an American phenomena?

Copenhagen below.
Old 07-25-18, 06:44 AM

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Didn't anyone notice that there's no way this picture is from 1904? It can't be older than late 1920s, just look at the car and the motorcycle.

I beg to differ. Long before the inventors of the mountain bike were born, there were road bikes. Roads then were not typically paved as they are now, and they ran drop bars. I'd maintain that this photo from the 1904 Tour de France shows a gravel bike.

Motorcycles from 1904 looked like this:

while cars from 1904 looked like this:

Not that it matters regarding the discussion at hand. To that my 2 cents are - gravel bikes are essentially hybrids, while the term "hybrid" now describes a narrow, comfort oriented class of all the bikes that are indeed hybrids.
Old 07-25-18, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Gravel and adventure bikes are hybrid bikes good for a variety of surfaces, and yet are not generally derided like hybrid bikes traditionally have been. Why the difference? Is it down to focus? Does focusing on gravel roads and/or gravel racing provide an optimization target that is lacking with traditional hybrid designs?
Anyone who is deriding anything that they do not agree with or NOT traditional or any other logically flawed reason is usually a part of the problem.

Different bikes for different people for different reasons that they feel is appropriate for their particular set of values should not really be derided by anyone.

This is why people yell
Old 07-25-18, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am in Colorado now. The forest service roads and county maintained dirt roads vary widely in condition. I have posted a few pics along the way of some different roads. Some are almost tarmac smooth. Others are rough. Being from NOLA, I am not a climber at all, and I am not a model of fitness. My "gravel" bike climbs well. I pass far more 29er MTBs than pass me. But when things start going downhill they eat my lunch. I have to ride the brakes because some of the surface irregularities are dangerous descending at speed on 32mm tires and no suspension.

I may occupy rare ground in this discussion. Gravel bikes are just another master of none bikes. Road bikes are better on the road, and MTBs are better in many offroad conditions. With that said, I have done some rides where either a road bike or an MTB would have sucked. A 60 mile loop that's about 70% pavement, 15% smooth dirt/gravel and 15% moderately rough gravel. I am thrilled with my build!
32mm is really more of a CX or endurance road bike tire, and would have problems when you get into sand and deeper gravel because it is likely to dig in as you have experienced. Typically gravel bike tires occupy the space between a CX tire and a MTB tire, with clearance for 40-45mm being a common advertising point. If you can fit them, those larger tires will help with a lot of those surface issues. I don't think anyone pushed gravel bikes as a good offroad bike, they are for gravel ROADS. Think of it as "offroad" for a road biker, but not really offroad in a true sense. In offroad capability, a gravel bike would have less capability than a rigid MTB due to smaller and less aggressive tires. A gravel bike is built for places that are going to be difficult or impassable for a 23mm pavement tire, but still a road, not something that you would want a 4WD to get down. Perhaps CO doesn't have much of these places? Around me, there are more miles this sort of road than anything else. Honestly, unless someone lives in a subdivision in town, they probably live on a gravel road and a gravel bike is going to be the best thing.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
As I said above, we have more "dirt" roads where most people want to ride than actual "gravel". They are a whole lot rougher. Even those "dirt" roads vary a lot mile to mile and even foot to foot.

The issue, at least for me, is the variability. For example, the first two pictures I posted are on the same road (specifically the North Rim of the Grand Canyon going to Point Sublime). The road had other sections that were rockier.

The third picture is highly deceiving because that is only one smooth(ish) small section of a 30 mile (15 up and 15 down) ride. The road isn't a 4 wheel drive road but a high clearance vehicle does do better on it than other vehicles. It also have a lot of high speed downhills that are punctuated with rock fields. I can, and have, gone much faster on the downhill side on mountain bikes than just about anyone in a car or truck. I've seen people on similar roads on gravel bikes that are traveling much more like the cars and trucks. In other words, they are very slow on the downhill. I'm slow enough on the uphill without wanting to cheat myself on the downhill.
Have you considered that if you are beating trucks down the hill that possibly your skill and comfort level at descending are above average? I know I'm a total wimp descending if there is a loose surface and turns. On a paved descent I'm always looking to better my max speed, but off pavement I just never trust my traction because those loose rocks are like marbles ontop of the dirt...

Truthfully, the roads around me are light on actual gravel also, the DOT is too cheap. It'd not like the pics of the Dirty Kana here. Mostly, they just grade the dirt. Where the surface is good, it is packed and hard to where you could ride a 23mm tire on a dry day. But, there's also all the low traffic and low maintenance road issues that you'd expect and would suck a 23mm tire into a wreck, plus in MI the roads may take a few days to really dry out after a rain (and we get a fair amount of rain) so wider and a bit of tread is better. I can ride most roads with a 32mm CX type tire, and there are a bunch of CX riders around also. I prefer a larger tire though because there are plenty of spots where a 32 will just be a pain and the extra width just rolls over the gravel/sand/washboard far better. A MTB is slow on these roads due to the aggressive tires and upright posture. I used to ride one around and felt like a human parachute plus the relatively fixed position got uncomfortable over long stretches. Road bike riding styles are far better here since I'm heading down the same road for miles and hanging out in the drops is the best thing for that. Yes, touring bikes are similar. One of the bikes I ride on gravel a lot is an old steel touring frameset the bike now wears 700x37 tires that run maybe a little fat but lets me ride any road I've come across.

For all the stuff you're describing, I'd probably grab my drop bar 29er / "monstercross" bike. It started out as a MTB but once I got tired of dealing with flat bars on gravel roads it got woodchippers and SRAM 2x10 along with less aggressive 700x50 tires. It does MTB trails well within my skills as well as the "unimproved" / hunters access roads but is far better on the ride to/from these locations.
Old 07-25-18, 07:55 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
FIFY (added bold comments and pic)

What's the lock for?

"We have incoming tank fire! We need to advance to that hill to get a clear radio signal to call in close air support from the A-10's! MOVE NOW!! GO!!!"

"Uhh..pardon me sir. This is a bit of an unsavory neighborhood. I need to secure my bike to this sign post before I can run up the hill and call in an air support."
Old 07-25-18, 08:01 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
From Trek's website...

FX 1 is a hybrid bike with a lightweight aluminum frame and upgrades on the parts that make the biggest difference in performance. It's perfect for anyone looking to get out more, ride as a family, do a bit of exercise, or commute to work on a versatile bike backed by a lifetime warranty.

I ride with a few dozen kids who use fx1 bikes. They are as hybrid as it gets. MTB drivetrain, smooth tires wider than road and narrower than MTB, and upright position.

pretty hybrid right there.
A hybrid is a cross-breed, the result of taking features from two different sources and creating something different, with aspects of both. The term has two common uses in bicycle usage:
  1. Hybrid bicycles, also known as "cross" or "fitness" bicycles, are a cross between a mountain bike and a touring bike. The best of them have the handlebars and control levers of a mountain bike, with the frame, gears, wheels and brakes of a touring bike.
Reference: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ho-z.html#hybrid

"Hybrid" is a wide term that can also be applied to gravel bikes (mountain bike and road bike) and adventure bikes (touring bike and mountain bike) and CX bikes (mountain bike and road bike). From my perspective, the FX 1 is a flat-bar road bike, I'm aware that's not a term marketers like and doesn't market well to the people these bikes appeal to.

I made a point earlier in this thread to say I don't dislike variations of "hybrid bikes". Lisa's enjoyed a flat-bar road bike for many years (Marin Lucas Valley), and our daughter did her first century on this bike. I don't dislike flat-bar road bikes, and if you'd like to refer to them as "hybrid", cool. From my perspective, "hybrid bikes" are comfort-only focused bikes, and a flat-bar road bike has a blending speed and comfort focus.

Frankly, I love the wide ranging configurations of bikes available today. I grew up with years of 'only' road bikes (AKA 10-speed), years of only MTBs, ... The last few years have allowed bikes to be more diverse and allow us to buy the bikes that matches our needs/wants and not be shoe-horned into the small number of bikes styles available. And I'm that person that still is pushing into places nobody makes/sells/markets bike - like my drop-bar fatbike.
Old 07-25-18, 08:02 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
What's the lock for?

"We have incoming tank fire! We need to advance to that hill to get a clear radio signal to call in close air support from the A-10's! MOVE NOW!! GO!!!"

"Uhh..pardon me sir. This is a bit of an unsavory neighborhood. I need to secure my bike to this sign post before I can run up the hill and call in an air support."
Old 07-25-18, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
and why is an American Soldier holding a bike with a Nazi army unit designation?
Old 07-25-18, 08:04 AM
meh

Originally Posted by subgrade
... To that my 2 cents are - gravel bikes are essentially hybrids, while the term "hybrid" now describes a narrow, comfort oriented class of all the bikes that are indeed hybrids.
+1
Old 07-25-18, 08:08 AM
meh

Originally Posted by mojojojo

Copenhagen below.

Who's anti-flat-bar? Most people that uses a bike for transportation have a flat-bar bike. The issue in the US, more riders only ride for sport/fitness and fewer riders use bikes for transportation. Living in one of the best bike cities (Minneapolis), the pic above looks like rush hour here.
Old 07-25-18, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrobo
a gravel bike is nothing more than an endurance road bike with big tires. What does that mean?

1. Comfort over a long ride
2. Ability to take some 'road less traveled' type rides
3. Ability to link together long stretches of pavement with rides through wooded areas

Sure you could do this all with a mountain bike, but you'd be slow as heck on the pavement and you don't have nearly as many hand position options.

gravel bikes are accepted because they aren't compromises, and hybrids tend to be compromises, i.e. they frequently (not all of them, but many of them) end up being the 'worst' of both worlds, i.e. they lack the tire clearance and ruggedness of a MTB while lacking the speed and light weight of a road bike.
Not that it matters regarding the discussion at hand. To that my 2 cents are - gravel bikes are essentially hybrids, while the term "hybrid" now describes a narrow, comfort oriented class of all the bikes that are indeed hybrids.
Ok, here's a thought... The typical "hybrid" marketing term takes the handlebars of a MTB with the tires (almost) of a road bike. Flat bars and skinny-ish tires. If a gravel bike is a hybrid, it's the opposite hybridization; the tires (almost) of a MTB with the bars of road bike? It's the parts that were left behind in making the first hybrid... Interesting perspective. I still maintain that the basic spec of a modern gravel bike predated the current road bike or MTB so a gravel bike is a bit more of a throwback than a hybridization, but I see the direction there.

sgtrobo, if you take a look at the gravel ride pic thread in that subforum, I think many gravel bike users seem to shun pavement rather than link together long stretches of pavement... I know I intentionally work to avoid pavement on my rides. The backroads are just far more pleasant.

Didn't anyone notice that there's no way this picture is from 1904? It can't be older than late 1920s, just look at the car and the motorcycle.

Motorcycles from 1904 looked like this:

while cars from 1904 looked like this:
Ha, apparently not so much. We were all looking at the bike... Of course, you're right... Now I want to do more photo searches.
Old 07-25-18, 08:16 AM

About this "whats' faster on what surface" nonsense....

The rider is BY FAR the most important factor in how fast a bike is.

Am I faster on roads on a carbon fiber road bike with tires the width of a human hair than I am on a 26 inch wheel Wal Mart mountain bike that weights more than a late model Buick? Of course I am. I'm the same. The bikes are different.

But is someone else on the carbon fiber road bike faster than me on the Wal Mart brick with wheels? Maybe. Maybe not.

I ride a Specialized Crosstrail. When I'm out on the local rail trail I blow past Tour de France LARPers on $3000 carbon fiber racing bikes (and $4000 custom matching neon spandex outfits and aero helmets) hunched over in the drop bars like they were sitting still.

And then there are 20 year olds on Wal Mart mountain bikes who don't know the difference between a bottom bracket and a tennis racket that pass me like I'm going backwards.

I'd venture to say the actual Tour de France riders could pass me on a Unicycle without breaking a sweat.

If the bikes are equal, obviously the stronger rider will be faster.

If the riders are equal, the faster bike will be faster.

If neither the bikes or the riders are equal, the much stronger rider is still going to be faster regardless of the bike.

The Crosstrail is marketed as a hybrid bike that's ridable on all but the worst rocky trails. And that has proved true. I wouldn't downhill race it on a mountain course. But I'd ride it just about anywhere else. Sometimes on a road I wish it was a little zipper, but then I couldn't ride it very well when I'm crossing a bumpy dirt hill. Sometimes on a bumpy dirt hill I wish it was a little easier to ride, but then it'd be even slower on the road. And it does all that while supporting the added weight of a rack with a full load.

So for my 'go anywhere I feel like' bike my Crosstrail is great. I'm not limited by most terrain. It's not the fastest on any specific surface, but there is almost no surface where it's useless.

I've been thinking about getting another more road focused bike for long rides, but my hybrid is perfect for my daily use bike when I might need to carry a lot of stuff with me.
Old 07-25-18, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Ok, here's a thought... The typical "hybrid" marketing term takes the handlebars of a MTB with the tires (almost) of a road bike. Flat bars and skinny-ish tires. If a gravel bike is a hybrid, it's the opposite hybridization; the tires (almost) of a MTB with the bars of road bike? It's the parts that were left behind in making the first hybrid... Interesting perspective.
Oh wow! Yeah. Interesting! I had not ever thought of it from that point of view. Whatever the case, I like the options we have today for gravel riding. I'm glad the concept has caught on. The wider tire options are what do it for me. Love having wider choices that are suitable for pavement.
Old 07-25-18, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts

Copenhagen below.
There are no MTB there in that pic. I guess Denmark is against MTB? Your picture and conclusion has a few falacies. These people are commuting. Their decision is based on commuting. Have you ever been to a large city in the US? Same as any other area using bikes for commuting like this one from Chicago
Old 07-25-18, 09:07 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Oi.

First off, I spent many, many years commuting---at least half on flat-bar bikes. Anyone who thinks flat-bar bikes only offer one posture should get one and learn.

Second--the best option is that everyone find an option that suits.

Some person rides a "hybrid" and likes it? Cool. Some other person rides a different kind of "hybrid" and likes it? Equally cool. Some other person doesn't call either bike a "hybrid"? Cool with me.

if I needed people to accept what I do, I would stay home in bed .... and people would Still complain.

Ride what you like, like what you ride.

If you have a greater need to be "accepted" on the bike you ride than to ride on the bike you like ... I cannot help you. Otherwise ... ride what suits your ride. It isn't hard at all ... . don't make it hard.
Old 07-25-18, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
and why is an American Soldier holding a bike with a Nazi army unit designation?
The Nazi was too busy to lock it.
Old 07-25-18, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The Nazi was too busy to lock it.
But the lock was right on the frame! It was right there! If only he'd have taken the time, Germany would have won the war.

Thank goodness for the laziness of this lone Nazi cyclist. His actions that led to the Americans obtaining this bike were a turning point in the Second World War.
Old 07-25-18, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
What's the lock for?

Nah, it's for when you run out of bullets and someone needs a good lock upside the head.
Old 07-25-18, 12:09 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts

Copenhagen below.
what I notice first is that only 6 out of the 31 people i can see commuting have helmets.
less than 20% is unfortunate.

it isnt about if you are a safe rider, it's about everyone else around you- cars, bikes, and walkers.

ride a bike? Wear a helmet.
ride a horse? Wear a helmet.
ride a motorcycle? Wear a helmet.

there just isn't a downside to wearing one.
pretty simple. Hope it eventually takes hold over there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.