Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Bikes...why the lack of love??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant Bikes...why the lack of love??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Yep! I have never been moved by the Specialized aesthetic.

Great bikes, I understand, but for me, their aesthetic is just not making my heart thump. You have to understand, I really have to like a frame visually, before I'll consider test-riding it. And the test-ride then determines go/no go on purchase.

I won't shell out good money for something (anything at all) that I don't enjoy looking at. That is the way it has always been for me.
I agree with you on Specialized. I also agree that a straight top tube just looks better, but I still think my Giant is a beautiful bike.
Old 10-23-11, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
No, looks like it was designed by Salvador Dali.
Old 10-23-11, 10:38 AM

YES! But $11,000? No thanks. If I won one of those in a contest, I'd sell it and get a BMC Racemachine and motorcycle. I'd be scared to death to ride around on an $11K bike.
Old 10-23-11, 11:02 AM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I agree with you on Specialized. I also agree that a straight top tube just looks better, but I still think my Giant is a beautiful bike.
YOUR Giant IS a beautiful bike.

― Bruce Lee
Old 10-23-11, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by baj32161
YOUR Giant IS a beautiful bike.
THank you!
Old 10-23-11, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually like the look of compact geometry.
Old 10-23-11, 01:06 PM

Bikes: BMC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
saw this orbea at the LBS a month ago, fitted with mad fiber wheels. Such a stunning looking bike, and extremely light when i picked it up for a moment.
Old 10-23-11, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by gerundium
saw this orbea at the LBS a month ago, fitted with mad fiber wheels. Such a stunning looking bike, and extremely light when i picked it up for a moment.
Would you pay $11,000 for it?
Old 10-23-11, 01:33 PM

Would you pay $11,000 for it?
This question is severely influenced by salary. If i made 150k+ yes i probably would, it's a beautiful bike and if i crashed it i would be able to replace it. But now i wouldn't, it's a great looking bike but i would be too afraid to ride it.
Old 10-23-11, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by gerundium
This question is severely influenced by salary. If i made 150k+ yes i probably would, it's a beautiful bike and if i crashed it i would be able to replace it. But now i wouldn't, it's a great looking bike but i would be too afraid to ride it.
I know $150K sounds like a lot...but you probably wouldn't be throwing $11K down on a bicycle. I'm guessing people who buy bikes like this are either cycling professionals or make a whole lot more than $150K a year. Hell, I make almost that much...and with a wife and two kids living in Southern California, I can barely afford my $1000 bike.

But even if I could afford one, it just seems silly to ride around on something that expensive that you can't insure.
Old 10-23-11, 01:48 PM

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my 2011 tcr as a beginner or getting back into cycling bike, cheap and very capable of running with high dollar machines. I bought a high end bike once I decided to stick with it. I think the name giant is embarrassingly silly, but not nearly as silly as cervelo which always makes me think of some obscure disease of the cervix.
Old 10-23-11, 01:49 PM

I know $150K sounds like a lot...but you probably wouldn't be throwing $11K down on a bicycle. I'm guessing people who buy bikes like this are either cycling professionals or make a whole lot more than $150K a year. Hell, I make almost that much...and with a wife and two kids living in Southern California, I can barely afford my $1000 bike.

But even if I could afford one, it just seems silly to ride around on something that expensive that you can't insure.
If you make nearly 150k with two kids and struggle to afford a 1000 dollar bike then i think your spending pattern will never be comparable to mine. Other than that you live in southern california, very expensive region so that works against you as well.

to the underlined, move to europe? Why the hell wouldn't you be able to insure an expensive bicycle.
Old 10-23-11, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
150k = 150 000??? thats a lot of money. Wish I could do a 1/3 of it right now.
Old 10-23-11, 02:22 PM
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I seem to have missed most of the fun, but FWIW -
I'm in the camp of "I get my bikes for free". Were I not to get my bikes for free, I'd be riding a Giant.
Their TT bike is either #1 or #2 on my list of "TT bikes to get".

Great bikes, great prices.
Old 10-23-11, 03:23 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, your bike is beautiful.

Look, in the final analysis, you are the only person that has to like your bike. And if liking it makes you want to ride it more, then that is even better.

Like I said, I understand Giant make excellent bikes for the value, I just wish bicycle companies could go to first-rate design institutes/colleges and recruit the most talented students as bike designers. Same way we look at some cars as gorgeous piece of art without poo-pooing their performance.

It can be done.
Old 10-23-11, 06:14 PM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I also happen to like the look of compact geometry. They look more racy to me, especially with the hydroformed aluminum tubing....gives them a, sort of, CF look.

I am a cyclist who cannot afford to lay out multiple thousands on a road bike, nor am I the type of rider who would see any real advantage from such a bike. Companies like Giant seem to offer a product for every type of rider, from those of us with very small budgets who, nonetheless, want a quality ride, to those of us with more extravagant needs and wants. As one poster said earlier, the relationship with the shop that sells you the bike is often more important than the brand of bike. I am not in love with the Giant shop here, which is ahy I own a Cannondale. It has nothing to do with the bike. Giant is perfectly fine by me.

― Bruce Lee
Old 10-23-11, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My motorbike is worth more than that. Nobody thinks that's weird. As soon as I finish up this little career transition of mine I'll probably buy quite an expensive bicycle. Or maybe not, I actually really like my Marinoni and don't feel like I'm missing anything really.

I don't think 11K is a lot to spend on a vehicle at all.

And of course you can insure your bicycle. Why wouldn't you be able to?
Old 10-23-11, 06:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
The difference of course is that $11K is about mid-range for a motorcycle and well below the cost of even the cheapest new car. I suppose this is why so many well-heeled amateurs cyclists are riding around on top of the line bikes. Lots of people can afford them. It might not make sense, but they can write the check. Not so many people have $300K and up to buy a really trick Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo.
Old 10-23-11, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
My motorbike is worth more than that. Nobody thinks that's weird. As soon as I finish up this little career transition of mine I'll probably buy quite an expensive bicycle. Or maybe not, I actually really like my Marinoni and don't feel like I'm missing anything really.

And of course you can insure your bicycle. Why wouldn't you be able to?
Please tell me where you can get bicycle insurance. You can have it covered on your home owners or renters insurance, but that will only cover against theft. There is no insurance to cover you if you wipe out or are hit by another cyclist and destroy your bike. You CAN buy insurance for a motorcycle. I used to have an $8K motorcycle and that is pretty low for what I had. But that is actually a highway vehicle. Bicycles are not in the same category.
Old 10-23-11, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't see the difference between a 'highway vehicle' and a bicycle. My bicycle is my only vehicle and has been for almost three years. It seems perfectly comparable to me, since I replaced my motorbike with it.

I thought my homeowner's insurance covered it against everything, I'm pretty sure that's what the guy said. I didn't listen too close because I didn't get it, I don't believe insurance makes sense in most cases.
Old 10-23-11, 07:28 PM
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
... I just wish bicycle companies could go to first-rate design institutes/colleges and recruit the most talented students as bike designers.
Could you clarify for me how you know that bicycle companies don't?

For my part, I happen to have gone to one of those schools, and I am a decent designer. I know (from first hand experience) that applying to work at a bicycle company takes a lot more than just having gone to some school.
Bicycle companies are interested in designers with well-rounded skill sets, and that's not something any school could ever give you.
Old 10-23-11, 07:50 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell me where you can get bicycle insurance. You can have it covered on your home owners or renters insurance, but that will only cover against theft. There is no insurance to cover you if you wipe out or are hit by another cyclist and destroy your bike. You CAN buy insurance for a motorcycle. I used to have an $8K motorcycle and that is pretty low for what I had. But that is actually a highway vehicle. Bicycles are not in the same category.
Not in my case. My CAAD9 was totaled in August. Driver had NO insurance. My auto insurance wouldn't cover my bike - however - my homeowner's insurance did cover it. Even though it wasn't stolen and wasn't on my property when destoryed they covered it! They went through my policy at length and said it was not excluded.

I had to provide a lot of documentation (police report, bikeshop estimate of damage, pictures, letter recommending replacement bike, depreciation, etc.) and it took a month but in the end they gave me $2100 - $500 deductible.

I took the $1600 and bought a new CAAD10-4 Rival with it and was out around $400 when all was said and done. I was DAMN glad I pursued the insurance angle but hey, that's why I pay $1300 a year for the past 15 years without a claim, right?
Old 10-23-11, 08:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is an interesting statement. I can assure you I don't make *nearly* that much and live in Southern California quite comfortably with my wife and two kids. I own a house with a good bit of equity and have three pretty nice bikes which I ride on a regular basis.

California isn't as expensive as some make it out to be.
Old 10-23-11, 08:06 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, I don't claim to know for sure that bike companies do not recruit design talent from excellent design schools, but I have been a bike enthusiast for a long time, and one thing that really frustrate me is the me-tooism of bicycle design from top-notch bike companies.

I think design is greatly underated in the human experience. The human animal is extremely visual and tactile (more visual than tactile) and bike companies should take heed and design bikes that are distinguishable from each other.

I, for one, is extremely tired of the ho-hum sloping top-tube that is everywhere currently.

Oh, by the way, this is in response to post #171.

Last edited by Jed19; 10-23-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
I own a house with a good bit of equity
Right there is a possible clue to the difference. How long have you owned it? Housing prices in SoCal went insane in the last 15 years. Back in the early/mid 90s the place was relatively affordable. In 1999 we bought a house in LA for $197k from a family that paid $150k for it in 1991. Sold it in 2005 for $505k. You can buy a lot of bicycles for the difference!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.