Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Disc vs. Rim brakes... Oh the dilemma!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Disc vs. Rim brakes... Oh the dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
Koolstop pink brake pads virtually eliminate the wet weather penalty for rim brakes. Unless you are dealing with actual mud, this shouldn't be a factor.
That certainly hasn't been my experience. It feels to me like it takes a noticeable amount of time for rim brakes to clear the water and gunk from the rims before the bike starts to slow appreciably. In contrast, discs seem to slow the bike almost immediately. Once the rims are clean, Koolstop salmon pads do provide great stopping power.
Old 06-14-13, 08:13 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tergal
I have to agree with this, my stock hyrdo discs took 1 large hill .... was interesting but you could feel the difference as you got further down the hill . At no point did it feel like i had no stopping power .

Make sure the store sets them up correctly and if you are not happy take them back and have them check , while they are at it get them to show you how to adjust them .
One thing to note, is that if you have the bike on a rack (or, in my case, flipped upside down), you can adjust the brakes where they feel okay when you just spin the wheel, but then when you actually have weight on the bike, they're not doing much. My guess, if a shop just got done with them, is that this was the issue. In which case, ask whoever adjusted them to ride around the parking lot, and they'd probably say "whoa!" and run right back in to adjust 'em better.
Old 06-15-13, 08:29 PM
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disks. Period. No fancy explanation necessary.
Old 06-16-13, 08:59 AM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One key reason why discs are better is that it is not uncommon for wheels to go a little out of true, when that happens, no big deal if it is just a little bit, if you have disc brakes, if you have traditional rim brakes, you will need to loosen a little so they don't rub, which in turn will reduce your braking power as the brake pads then have further to travel before gaining good grip on the rims.

Of course the answer to fixing this issue is to ensure your wheels are always perfectly trued, but rim brakes make this necessary, whereas disc brakes give you a little more tolerance in this regard.
Old 06-16-13, 09:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
That certainly hasn't been my experience. It feels to me like it takes a noticeable amount of time for rim brakes to clear the water and gunk from the rims before the bike starts to slow appreciably. In contrast, discs seem to slow the bike almost immediately. Once the rims are clean, Koolstop salmon pads do provide great stopping power.
Interesting. My experience has been that pink kools have no real wet rim penalty, and that's what one of the big German cycling magazines found when they did a test - kool pinks stopped only abouy 5-10% slower with wet rims. Maybe this is somewhat rim dependent? Have you tried cleaning your rims? And is it possible that you're simply not hitting the front brake hard enough? I'm pretty sure that I do exert more force in the rain. It might be worth reading this and checking for the problems discussed - brake bit in the rain with pinks should be, at worst, *almost* instant:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/koo...oblems.113271/

Of course it could just be that we have different standards for what a "noticeable" amount of time is!

Last edited by meanwhile; 06-16-13 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-16-13, 09:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OiS
One key reason why discs are better is that it is not uncommon for wheels to go a little out of true, when that happens, no big deal if it is just a little bit, if you have disc brakes, if you have traditional rim brakes, you will need to loosen a little so they don't rub, which in turn will reduce your braking power as the brake pads then have further to travel before gaining good grip on the rims.

Of course the answer to fixing this issue is to ensure your wheels are always perfectly trued, but rim brakes make this necessary, whereas disc brakes give you a little more tolerance in this regard.
If you're not inspecting your bike well enough to notice a rim so warped that it will serious reduce rim brake power (squishy brake blocks will compensate for a quite a bit of variation) then you really are not cycling safely.
Old 06-16-13, 09:09 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkm
I mainly brake with the rear ...
This isn't the greatest idea. There's far more stopping power in the front, so whichever type of brake you are using, you are taking longer than necessary to stop as well as increasing the risk of a skid. Unless the surface is loose or slippery it is much better to brake with the front.
Old 06-16-13, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
This isn't the greatest idea. There's far more stopping power in the front
It depends on the geometry of the bike, but the shortest front stop is usually around half the length of the shortest rear stop. You do have to practice controlling the brake and keeping your weight back to get the best effect - rather coming over the bars. Google "sheldon brown braking."
Old 06-16-13, 08:16 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in my experience discs is not a bad way to go here... the obvious wet/nasty weather advantage is nice... but even more was a few years ago when I did a 100k charity ride.. by the end of the ride I was 3 spokes down out back on a 32 spoke wheel... i'm sure had i had rim brakes that wouldn't have worked out for me.

I'm considering buying a disc trucker here soon to be my city bike (right now thats my 1x1 modified for gears with a titec H bar and shimano dual control)... the 1x1 just doesn't fit quite right (to much seat to bar drop)

this is pretty much what i'm after without the bars being quite that high
Old 06-17-13, 12:17 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I always get in trouble when I say this but a rim brake on a bicycle is a disc brake. It's just has a really large rotor.
You should get in trouble. That's not true. Rims are not a huge rotor. Rim brakes have almost nothing in common with discs, especially hydraulics.
the function is different, the mechanical advantage factor difference is huge, a cable stretches, oil doesn't (neither does steel woven hose), you wouldn't want metallic pads against alloy or carbon rims.

You can get hub mounted discs if you like but be prepared to have to make compromises and do a fair bit of macgyvering to get a rack to fit. On many bikes, the caliper is in the way of mounts for racks and fenders. Also, once the racks and fenders are in place, getting to the adjustments for the brakes can be a hassle as well.
Or you could do what I did years ago and get a rack and fenders that fit disc brakes?

You also have to consider what the rotor offset does to the strength of the wheel. When you mount a disc at the hub on the front wheel, you've converted a strong wheel without dish into a dished wheel which is weaker. With a heavy load, the front wheel can now be prone to spoke breakage like the dished rear wheel. You've also narrowed the distance between the hub flanges on the rear wheel so that the angle from the flange to the wheel is steeper which can further weaken the rear wheel.
It can't be much weaker. I mean MTB wheels can take some damage and nowdays they are all offset dish with disc rotors... Or could it be, that the wheel just needs to be correctly built and tensioned and a wheel that isn't will fall apart no matter which style of build it uses.

Originally Posted by nfmisso
I am a rim brake guy.

Discs are heavier; and result in weaker wheels.
marginally. 20/24 radial will make weaker wheels. 3x 28/32 with a good v-section rim will last a nuclear war, disc or no disc. And umm... is 100 grams going to make a difference to us clydes? seriously now.

Disc advantages: braking down a very steep hill - no worries about rims overheating (not are real concern for 99.9% of us); lower forces (downhill riders/racers, rest of us not a concern).
modulation, power, feel, long term maintenance (this depens on the brake naturally, cheap like avid elixir 1's is going to suck anyways but good ol' magura will last for years with no maintenance other than pad changes) wet weather performance, cold weather performance (ever had frozen rims? not fun when you lose all braking power even if you are pulling the lever to the handle)

Originally Posted by squirtdad
There are some potential issues with the combination of disc brakes, road bikes, small caliper, and excessive heat

this link that has caused a lot of discussion about over heating https://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/14/...ill-they-work/

interesting in this link manufacturers talk about disc and Shimano does not think for road bikes the rims can be made lighter..... not all mountain bike learnings will translate to road bikes

my synopsis: There is a potential oveheating leading to no brakes issue with smaller diameter rotors on road bikes in certain conditions. 'simple" answers like bigger rotors start to require design changes due to things like fork and stay clearance. Maybe road bikes will have to go to double front rotor. My prediction is that once heat dissipation issue is solved for smaller rotor sizes you will see a lot more disc brakes on road bikes

Interesting discussion of design issues in frambe builders

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ions-and-traps

see https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...scs?highlight=
The test you lnked is the one where the rider misused the brakes (which were cx brakes if I remember correctly) Can't be sure since the page doesn't load for me. But with modern road discs the heat problems have been pretty much solved. With the sram red discs there was some signifigant heat testing and attempts at over heating the brakes. The attempts were not successfull.
There isn't all that much to it. There are several technologies that help with heat dissipation in both rotor and brake caliper.
Old 06-17-13, 11:57 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked 4,246 Times in 2,381 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
You should get in trouble. That's not true. Rims are not a huge rotor. Rim brakes have almost nothing in common with discs, especially hydraulics.
the function is different, the mechanical advantage factor difference is huge, a cable stretches, oil doesn't (neither does steel woven hose), you wouldn't want metallic pads against alloy or carbon rims.
A hub mounted disc brake is a spinning rotor of metal that is squeezed between two friction pads on either side of the rotor. A rim brake is a spinning rotor of metal that is squeezed between tow friction pads on either side of the rotor. There is no functional difference between them. There are some differences in materials but that is trivial. While you may not want to use metallic pads agains carbon or alloy rims, there is no reason that you could not. Sure you'd have wear issues but that wouldn't keep you from using them.

As for mechanical advantage of the hub mounted disc being huge, it isn't. I have a bike with a cable actuated hub mounted disc on the front and a v-brake on the rear. There is no difference between the amount of effort needed to pull the brake lever for the front or rear. I also have other bikes that I ride regularly that have cantilever front brakes and there is no difference between the amount of hand strength that I use for those brakes either. Further, I have a set of hydraulic brakes on yet another bike. Again, I find no difference between that brake and any of the other brakes.

All of the brake systems I have are capable of stopping the bike they are mounted on as well as all being capable of skidding (or even lifting) the rear tire or even throwing me over the bars. That is the limit of braking ability. You can add all the advantage you like but once you've lifted the rear tire, you reached the limit of the bike's braking ability.

Or you could do what I did years ago and get a rack and fenders that fit disc brakes?
I have yet to see a rack for a disc brake equipped bike that is much more than a bandaid approach to the problem nor one that doesn't interfere with the caliper in some way. Even the ones with large standoff still get in the way. And a front rack and fenders is even more problematic.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-17-13, 12:38 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
A hub mounted disc brake is a spinning rotor of metal that is squeezed between two friction pads on either side of the rotor. A rim brake is a spinning rotor of metal that is squeezed between tow friction pads on either side of the rotor. There is no functional difference between them. There are some differences in materials but that is trivial. While you may not want to use metallic pads agains carbon or alloy rims, there is no reason that you could not. Sure you'd have wear issues but that wouldn't keep you from using them.

As for mechanical advantage of the hub mounted disc being huge, it isn't. I have a bike with a cable actuated hub mounted disc on the front and a v-brake on the rear. There is no difference between the amount of effort needed to pull the brake lever for the front or rear. I also have other bikes that I ride regularly that have cantilever front brakes and there is no difference between the amount of hand strength that I use for those brakes either. Further, I have a set of hydraulic brakes on yet another bike. Again, I find no difference between that brake and any of the other brakes.

All of the brake systems I have are capable of stopping the bike they are mounted on as well as all being capable of skidding (or even lifting) the rear tire or even throwing me over the bars. That is the limit of braking ability. You can add all the advantage you like but once you've lifted the rear tire, you reached the limit of the bike's braking ability.

I have yet to see a rack for a disc brake equipped bike that is much more than a bandaid approach to the problem nor one that doesn't interfere with the caliper in some way. Even the ones with large standoff still get in the way. And a front rack and fenders is even more problematic.
well said man...

but for racks and discs... if it's setup right it can be (and has been) done
here is the disc trucker take on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P7110100-300x225.jpg (28.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-17-13, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,859 Times in 1,556 Posts

snip

The test you lnked is the one where the rider misused the brakes (which were cx brakes if I remember correctly) Can't be sure since the page doesn't load for me. But with modern road discs the heat problems have been pretty much solved. With the sram red discs there was some signifigant heat testing and attempts at over heating the brakes. The attempts were not successfull.
There isn't all that much to it. There are several technologies that help with heat dissipation in both rotor and brake caliper.
Yeah I get a 404 on it now also. But why do you say the rider misused brakes. I don't recall reading that from the article. The guy was descending and and the brakes overheated, losing any ability to provide braking functions. This was from 2012 so I don't know why you would suggest that they were not modern. What difference would cx brakes be from road brakes?

My point is that for certain applications i.e long descents on a a road bike with smallish disks there have been issues with disk brakes and until that is clearly not an issue, then it should be one consideration in an individuals decision process, until it is clearly not a issue.

Old 06-17-13, 02:57 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 225 Posts
Yeah I get a 404 on it now also. But why do you say the rider misused brakes. I don't recall reading that from the article. The guy was descending and and the brakes overheated, losing any ability to provide braking functions. This was from 2012 so I don't know why you would suggest that they were not modern. What difference would cx brakes be from road brakes?

My point is that for certain applications i.e long descents on a a road bike with smallish disks there have been issues with disk brakes and until that is clearly not an issue, then it should be one consideration in an individuals decision process, until it is clearly not a issue.
It should be a non issue by now. Like I said the sram red brakes have no overheat problems.
The misuse was the fact that he kept the brakes on just a little bit for a long time.
I've done that. With rim brakes. Blew my tire off and burned my fingers. You can make any system dangerous if you try. You can delaminate carbon rims by over heating and I can't see how rubber gives a lot of stopping power when it starts to melt on your rim.
Old 06-17-13, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As I recall, the rider was dragging the brakes through the entire descent which contributed to the overheating. Remember that cyclocross racing usually consists of multiple laps around a shorter (1-3 mile?) course in a lower-traction (read: mud) environment. One could imagine that brakes designed to work optimally in that environment wouldn't be designed to withstand the heat generated by a long, fast road descent...