Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

BOB trailer vs. Panniers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

BOB trailer vs. Panniers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 09:17 PM

Bikes: 92 Bridgestone xo-2 Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would revive an old one.
I own a BOB ibex, but am inclined to try panniers because they are supposedly better for climbing.
My home turf is the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Tour with 17 pounds of Bob (paid for ) or shell out more dough for racks and panniers ? Seems like most people are pro-panniers...but the question is whether panniers are enough of an upgrade to justify the added expense.

Last edited by 1-track-mind; 02-24-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 01:51 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is the point here that you want to make your bike easier to ride, more efficient?

There are two issues there, one is the ascent, and the other is the descent. BOB can jacknife you on the way down, which would suck.

Going up is mostly a fitness mater. People drag the trailers in all kinds of terrible terrain. I think that paniers and racks are lighter and ride better than a trailer, but that also depends on how light your paniers and racks are and how much you put in them. There are some heavy panniers and some very heavy racks. Not dragging the extra wheel helps too. If you live on the BRP, you could certainly run a sequential test.

It probably doesn't take a lot of training to get yourself past the differential hump. You know, if you worked up to climbing some huge hill, it took you 5 tries to make it. Then you summit with panniers, how many further tries would it take with the BOB?
Old 02-25-08, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
hmm. It seems that the main arguments are between air resistance (panniers) or rolling resistance (BOB trailer). Which is bigger?
It isn't that simple. The trailer's weight is more of a handicap on the climbs and that IMO is where it matters.

In my case the weight difference is fairly substantial between my trailer and my racks an panniers especially if you add in the extra tube. The trailer is a lot heavier given the racks and panniers that I am using. If you are using heavier racks and panniers it could be close to a wash.

One thing that may or may not be an issue to you is drafting. It is hard to draft behind a rider pulling a trailer. If you are traveling with a group this can be an issue.

Trailers are hard to get up stairs or around tight corners on closed in walkways (no problems with turns on the road).

Some people swear by one or the other.

I own both and my trailer hangs on the wall unused until I decide to do some off road touring on my mountain bike at which point I may or may not decide to use it.
Old 02-25-08, 09:50 AM
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
This page from www.biketouringtips.com has 16 links to information about racks and panniers.

One is not "better" than the other. It all depends on what you like.

For what it is worth, it is much easier to get panniers somewhere than to transport a trailer which is an issue unless you are leaving and returning to your own house.

Ray
Old 02-25-08, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Lemond Cyclocrss, Serotta Ultegra Double, Specialized Fixed, and a Trek Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't read every reply in the thread, but I went cross country last summer (TransAmerica route) with a BOB and could give you an earful of information. But I have questions for you.

What's your route
How old are you/What shape are you in/whats your idea of comfort
Who are you going with
will you stop in motels often
what bike do you have
how often will you be touring after this
Old 02-25-08, 01:27 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Merriwether
The air resistance from panniers is certainly greater than the rolling resistance of the trailer-- how much greater I don't know for sure. That would take measurements, and some calculations. But as air resistance at biking speeds is at least an order of magnitude greater than rolling resistance, there's no doubt which creates the greater drag.

Added air resistance from panniers might add ten or even twenty minutes to a day's ride on tour. That's no small amount.
The trailer is a good idea for carting big stuff around town, but that's also why I think its a bad for touring; because it tempts you to take too much stuff. I simply don't see the utility of towing a 13 lb trailer when its possible to comfortably tour with a couple of 0.5lb racks and bags that weigh 2lbs or less.

Handling is another issue as loaded panniers can make the bike feel sluggish. Going up hills I think its better to pull the weight rather than having it hanging out left and right, but coming down hills I've heard that the trailer can be a bit difficult to handle. For me the ideal solution is to ditch both trailers and panniers and use a combo of saddlebag and handle bar bag that puts the weight on the center line of the bike.
Old 02-25-08, 08:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Advantages of a Trailer:

1)can carry more stuff
2)Reduces stress on wheels
3)Aerodynamic(I'd like to see more proof of this--noone's done a wind tunnel test)
4)Easier to disconnect load from bike.
5)Bike frame independent(for BOBs. Other trailers, not so much)
6)Great Off-Road Handling(single wheel trailers only)

Disadvantages of a Trailer:

1)Easy to carry too much stuff
2)heavier
3)extra rolling resistance
4)Poor low speed handling under heavy load
5)Instability at high speeds for light riders
6)travel issues(shipping trailer to start/endpoint of tour)
Old 02-25-08, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok for what it's worth I've toured with both and I love both panniers and trailers, They both have their place.
Only one thing to consider with the BOB trailer is don't bring more items than you really need. On my first tour with the BOB I brought everything including the kitchen sink way to much stuff. But I've also done that with panniers. One issue with the BOB was that it rolled nice and was areo so there was not a lot of drag to slow me down. One person said they had problems with the pins breaking, I've never had that issue but it's aways nice to carry a few extra just in case. One thought regarding the trailer I've traveled the SoCal coast and we ride the trains from San Diego to Santa Barbra and it is a lot easier with panniers the trailer was to hard to get on and off the train with.
Old 04-05-08, 09:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Type of Bike

I read all the threads and I supose there is one more thing to think about. In my case for example I dont have a touring bike becouse i cant afford a good one. i dont know if with the weight of panniers my bike can handle well with it. For that reason i supose if someone dont have a especific touring bike maybe is better to get BOB trailer. I would like to do some touring with my bike. I dont know if is recommendable to do so but if i decide to I think would be better with the trailler. What you guys think abou that?
Cheers
By the way my bike is a trek 7.3 FX.
Old 04-05-08, 09:46 AM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instead of the Yak look at the Ibex, its still a BOB

I have used both and panniers in my extensive expeditions

panniers for 30 years, lots of broken spokes, side wind issues, etc.

Yak bounces and causes problems till you are used to it

Ibex fantastic. I love it. I have used it for 3 years, in Chile Argentina, Australia etc etc and find it is the best solution , for me.

george
Old 04-05-08, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeNashbar.com has a single wheel trailer (their own brand) on sale/fyi. Based upon my experience with and without single wheel trailer.... be very, very certain that you pack it w/ the weight distribution in accord w/ the manufacturer spec.s or you risk wobbling and going down (I have gotten the t-shirt; did so at low speed, level, straight-away, no traffic, good pavement, etc. < completely my own fault). I was not far off the manufacturer specs on a well known brand and still took the spill.
Old 04-05-08, 10:24 AM
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have toured with both. I have panniers and a yakima big tow, a bob clone no longer in production. I would say it is a matter of personal preference. I also use a bike for most of my daily needs and that lead to the trailer purchase. Much easier to get things like groceries and such with the trailer. Odd things I have carried with the trailer, a new microwave and a shrub back from the nursery. My biggest consideration in getting the trailer was the ability use it on several different bikes with only having to change the skewer, if I had multiple skewers I wouldn't even have to change that. I did a 4 day trip last year with the trailer and had some trouble with the drive train on the touring bike the night before, instead of losing a day on my trip to get it worked out I threw the skewer on my regular road bike which would not have accepted panniers and just went. Had a wonderful time and to my surprise moved a bit faster than normal, might use that bike more for touring this year. Over all I would say the for ME the trailer is more flexible.
Old 04-05-08, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePackin
BikeNashbar.com has a single wheel trailer (their own brand) on sale/fyi. Based upon my experience with and without single wheel trailer.... be very, very certain that you pack it w/ the weight distribution in accord w/ the manufacturer spec.s or you risk wobbling and going down (I have gotten the t-shirt; did so at low speed, level, straight-away, no traffic, good pavement, etc. < completely my own fault). I was not far off the manufacturer specs on a well known brand and still took the spill.

Last year I was thinking about getting the Nashbar trailer due to it's low cost but then I read a couple of Crazyguyonabike journals where welds of the trailer were breaking apart. Long story short, I am still using panniers.
Old 04-05-08, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
I was thinking I might get a BOB trailer for the Cross-Country bike tour I was going to do after I graduate (summer after this one). What are the advantages of it vs. panniers+rack? It seems that after I buy the rack and panniers, the total cost would be as much as the BOB, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone used both and liked one especially over the other. More importantly, has anyone used a bob trailer and NOT liked it? I searched the forum, and I found a lot of positive feddeback about the trailer, especially on tandams. However, I'm sure there are concerns that I need to be aware of before I make this investment.
Search this on the archives - there's been SOO many posts exactly like this...
Old 04-05-08, 04:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a BOB for 1200km in Baja Mexico. It was great, I would use it again, especially when we were going through the 200km stretch with no water. I was carrying over 20L of water (which is 40lbs), I also carried other gear. The others in my team carried some of the water as well, but I took all the heavy stuff because I could, and there were no problems as long as you are under the max weight (30kg or 70lbs). You do notice that it is a little bit more sluggish (especially up the hills, in which I had to walk up a few of them). I do think it is worth it though. The problem is when you want to go over 40km/hr down a hill, you are not supposed to because it is sketchy, very sketchy.

My girlfriend found it was convenient to have the BOB because I could carry more, I even took her front paniers and put them on my back rack. The BOB is for those that want to carry a lot and not worry about what it is doing to their bike. Being a gearhead, I always have a lot of gear the is not necessary, but having a BOB is great. In town, you can carry groceries a lot easier with a BOB. Traveling on plane with a BOB is great as well, just take off the front trailer fork and the wheel, protect the back fork and put your giant yellow bag in the trailer and put it on a plane as checked baggage, all other parts and wheels go into your bike box.

I'm happy, the BOB gives you options, I had 2 flats on the bob, but none on my bike (I am going to look for a Marathon XR type for the BOB). I want to check out the Xtracycle as well, that seems pretty cool and more options (extra person on the back, no hitch ect). Maybe not for touring though. The BOB follows you everywhere you go, and you do feel it behind you, you get used to it and it handles great.

Really at the end of the day I don't think it really matters what you use. Panniers are nice if you want to hop on a train or a bus, but it isn't a big problem to put a trailer on a bus (I have many times and there were no problems, in Mexico at least). That is my opinion and I am a really easy going guy that likes a challenge (like pounding up a steep hill with a trailer that weighs more then the rest of the your team, just imagine the size of you legs when you are done).
Old 04-05-08, 08:06 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by thbirks

Weight: 13.5#
capacity: 70#
5700+ cubic inches
cost: $289 msrp

Jannd setup from Jandd.com; expedition rear rack, front lowrider rack, pair of mountain panniers, pair of mini mountain panniers

total Weight: 4972 grams or 10.9#

Capacity: racks rated at 75# (50# rear and 25# front)
6276 cubic inches
Total price: $322
I think the biggest disadvantage of a trailer is that it has so much capacity that just cries out to be filled with stuff. So you end up taking more stuff than you need to be comfortable and haul too much weight to really enjoy the cycling. So given a choice between a trailer and panniers I'd pick the panniers. However, panniers are themselves very heavy and find most setups restrict me from getting out of the saddle on climbs so I go with a saddlebag and a small handlebar bag and simply strap my tent and sleeping pad to the racks. My bags weigh less than 2lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bags.jpg (30.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg
ramtour.jpg (92.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 04-05-08, 09:36 PM
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great Divide Bike Trail

Has anyone completed the Divide Bike Trail from Canada to New Mexico? Adventure Cycling suggests/recommends using a trailer with a MTB.
Old 04-06-08, 05:46 AM
Avoid trauma

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Eros (my baby), 1994 Trek 930, Raleigh Twenty Folding Bike (For Sale)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
... However, panniers are themselves very heavy and find most setups restrict me from getting out of the saddle on climbs ...
What do you mean? Is it the handlebar positions?
Old 04-06-08, 06:39 AM

Bikes: Felt F4 double, Specialized Roubaix triple, Stumpjumper Comp, Giant Bowery, Surly LHT, Lemond Revmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standing on a loaded tour bike

I've seen several comments from people on this forum about how difficult it is to stand on a loaded tour bike. I find the exact opposite. With my bike loaded (about 80 lbs total weight) it is easier to stand than on an unloaded bike. The loaded bike is way more stable.

Old 04-06-08, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do a search. This topic has been discussed at length. I've used both and both are fine. I prefer panniers on paved roads and the Bob on unpaved. A Bob is great when you have a bike that isn't ideal for panniers. In my last few tours the other tourers I've encountered have been about half pannier-users and half Bob-users.
Old 04-06-08, 11:11 AM
nun

Originally Posted by Lake_Tom
What do you mean? Is it the handlebar positions?
No, its the weight distribution. When I'm out of the saddle I rock the bike form side to side and I find
having panniers off the center line of the bike freaks me out a bit. I suppose I'd get use to it, but I decided to pack my gear so that it is on the center line of the bike and as close to me as possible.
Old 04-06-08, 11:14 AM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't used a BOB for touring, just panniers. My comparison is from my two methods of with-child-cycling.

I have a rack mounted seat for my 1 y.o. and a trailer as well. By far the rack-seat is faster...I mean, by far. The added rolling resistance plus the "drag" factor make the trailer immeasurably slower.

I've ridden pretty well loaded down bikes and haven't had a problem. Off road I would want a BOB, for sure, but on road the gyroscopic motion of the wheels keeps the bike upright pretty well.

I don't think I'd drag a BOB across country unless you paid me.
Old 04-06-08, 12:16 PM
Savor the journey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
Is the point here that you want to make your bike easier to ride, more efficient?

There are two issues there, one is the ascent, and the other is the descent. BOB can jacknife you on the way down, which would suck...
I don't own a trailer and have always toured with panniers. The BOB has been around for awhile now, but I had never toured with anyone using one--until 2006 going cross-country. In Missouri I rode with a couple and the woman was towing a BOB ("Side-show BOB" she called it!). Unfortunately, on one steep descent BOB tried to pass her and jack-knifed. She was quite beat up and the ensuing road-rash was horrible. But, she took it amazingly well, but was pretty shaken by the ordeal.

In the Appalachians of SW Virginia I met up with Dan, who, upon descending a rather steep hill was jack-knifed by his BOB. One whole side of his body looked like hamburger! Upon inspection, the pin on the BOB was broken. Whether it broke during the crash or was the cause of the crash was unknown.

Interesting that I witnessed two BOB accidents on one tour! This must happen more often than we hear about.

Meanwhile, a couple more observations:
  1. Trailers pack-up easier and quicker. With panniers, it's "a place for everything, and everything in it's place." With a BOB placement of items isn't so important, so repacking each day is quicker. On the other hand, if you want a particular item in the middle of the day, you must dig thru the bag to find it. In panniers you know exactly where it is.
  2. BOB trailers have less air resistance than panniers. I've noticed that my bike seems to descend hills faster than other bikes also using panniers. Those with BOB's could descend a little quicker than I could--much to their demise, I suppose!!
  3. Trailers make climbing more difficult. By their owners admission, the BOB made climbing more difficult, especially on steep climbs--like it was trying to pull them back down the hill.
  4. Trailers are more cumbersome in a motel.
  5. Descents can be tricky using a BOB.
  6. When the weight is distributed properly panniers are very stable ascending, in the flats, or even rapid descents.
  7. The trailer is especially useful when not touring with a dedicated touring bike.
  8. A trailer or panniers does not a "professional" tourist make.

Just some observations.

Safe journeys,
Old 04-08-08, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wished I had time for touring, but I do some days use my bike for constant runs hauling things all day.
I have grown to love my 17lb Nashbar trailer, empty I forget its there, lightly loaded it tows nice, heavy load they do make handling screwy. I can't tell you how many miles it has on it, but the list of things I have hauled is beyond counting. It's not the quality of the BOB, nor near as heavy, but with proper maintenance I have no problems.
Old 04-09-08, 12:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like an awful lot of posters, I'm going to preface mine with the words "I've never used a trailer..." So, I'm keeping an open mind. I think if I were in the market for a trailer I would look seriously at the ExtraWheel https://www.extrawheel.com/index_en.php . Only 4.5kg vs the Bobs 6.1kg and a bit more manageable on planes, trains and buses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.