Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will an Aero bike be a mistake for me?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will an Aero bike be a mistake for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 11:36 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Its helpful no doubt to some readers that might not understand all this but before you write your next dissertation, did you realize that he said that he gets it?
He didn't get it but now he does because I explained it. In fact, few that enjoy cycling understand it in the detail I explained.

Last edited by Campag4life; 11-27-17 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-27-17, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Yesterday’s time was .4MPH faster than the previous PR for me....

E.g., about... 2% faster?
Old 11-27-17, 12:31 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
[FONT=&quot]I don’t remember anyone advertising endurance versus aero road bike geometry in 2004 when I bought my Bianchi and I am not sure exactly when it became a 'thing'. ...
In 1980 I ordered a custom frame. I decided to go with a crit geometry and stiff tubing. Later I learned that was a big mistake.
Likes For Doge:
Old 11-27-17, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I have an endurance bike and I have an aero bike (not a canyon however). I can happily spend all day in the saddle on both bikes, although my preference is for the aero bike. But that's because I think it's more fun to ride. The aero bike is twitchier in handling, but it's nothing major. It is a more aggressive position, but it doesn't bother me (I'm also only 34 so take that with a grain of salt). If you think the Aeroad is going to be more fun to ride, then go for that. As someone else mentioned, don't go for a model with an integrated headset, and get a separate stem and bar so you can adjust what is needed.
Old 11-27-17, 02:52 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7667 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,861 Posts
gt3racerich: I have been looking at a Dogma F8 imitation from Workswell ...I have a ll the parts I need, I just need a frame to hang them on, so I have been looking at frames which would give me what my other bikes cannot.

My thoughts: The aero frame is heavier and less comfortable. So---28-mm tires on aero rims .... or maybe 25s and just hurt a little more on every bump.

But further ... the aero frame has Zero areo benefit unless i were to ride in an aero position which is not possible---well, not for long.

I would be buying the frame for looks Only. Which is 100 percent fine with me.

But ... what else would I be getting? A heavier, less comfortable bike which would look great in my garage ... once I am on the bike, of course, I can't see how I look and everyone else just sees a fat clown in tight clothes. On top of that, when I set it up to fit me ... I looked at a couple frame sizes and figured seat extension, setback, stem and stack length ....

I Could get the special very expensive aero-shaped spacers for my giant spacer stack, and it wouldn't look Terrible ... but then i'd have to get the non-adjustable are-bar/stem assembly. So ... if my fit wasn't just right, I couldn't buy and swap a couple $16 stems to test length and angle, I'd have to spend $150 on new bars.

On top of that, my aero rims are a sensible 38-mm .... good for going straight and no problem in side winds. But to really look cool I would want an 80-mm-deep rear and 50 front ... which means a new wheel set ... and more weight, and more issues in crosswinds.

Then I had to decide ... was all that worth it? Would I actually ride this new bike ... considering I already had bikes which did everything better except didn't look as cool?

Just for reference, this is an early sketch of what I was considering:

It is still a beautiful machine ... to me ... on paper. But I was pretty sure I would never ride ti. If I want fast, light carbon, I I have my 066, (Cervelo R5 clone) which is good for long or short distances, and is good for climbing, and also looks pretty good to me. And anyway ... this would be Heavy carbon ... what use would I have for a heavy, uncomfortable bike?

Yeah, it might Look cool (to me) ... but how often, when I was picking which bike to ride, would I think, "Today I am in the mood to ride a bike which is less fun to ride?"

So I decided against an aero bike.

Could you set up the Aeroad to fit the same as your current bike? Sure. Would it still look as cool? Probably not. Would it still look cool enough to inspire you to ride it even though it didn't work as well? No clue.

I figure the only time I look at my bikes is when I am not riding. And ... if I wanted to pay big bucks for artwork ... would I buy a bike and leave it in my garage?
Old 11-27-17, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Buy with your heart. I rarely have a change of heart, but I change my mind all the time. But whatever you buy we need pics.
Old 11-27-17, 03:48 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Just for reference, this is an early sketch of what I was considering:
Old 11-27-17, 03:57 PM

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gt3racerich
Guys, just to be clear, I don't expect to be any faster on the Aeroad.
I'm just trying to figure out, with the geometry being close, why I shouldn't get the bike I like better, admittedly if only by intangibles.
I get that the Aeroad will not be as comfortable as the Ultimate due to tire size and I guess the layup of the carbon but I am judging it against my current bike that rides very stiff. And that is becoming less and less of an issue as I put the miles on.
I have changed my mind a couple of times since just this morning. I have been searching and found many photos of Aeroads set up fairly close to my bike in regard to the height of the handlebars in relation to the height of the saddle. (There are also many set ups that I would not attempt to ride)
In the three photos above posted by RobbieTunes, I may be wrong but to my eye the more aggressive, longer top tube on the aero bike is clear when compared to the Cannonade road bike. The Aeroad is not as extreme in that regard as the numbers show?

Doge says "It still may look cool and feel good, but it will be heavier and less comfortable than a similar non-aero."

Why will it be less comfortable if I can set it up basically the same as what I am currently riding? That is basically the reason I started the thread. I get that it is a bit heavier.
Thanks again for all the info everyone.
I would think you would be happy with the Aeroroad. I'm sure it probably ships with enough steerer to start a bit high and cut down to get comfortable.

Around here the Roubaix is one of the most popular bikes. Bike shop tried to sell me one as it would be more "comfortable." Got on one and it felt like a mountain bike to me. Sitting straight up, slow steering... Jumped on a Tarmac and fell in love. Since then I've purchase a second S-Works Tarmac. Both bikes are nearly "slammed" (5mm spacer under each stem for resale) as well as running and additional +5mm in stem length as well. I am pretty flexible for an old guy, but you guys have me worried now.

If it fits, and you're comfortable, go with what makes you want to ride. Extended test ride is a must IMHO.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-17, 04:15 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by ddub
Buy with your heart. I rarely have a change of heart, but I change my mind all the time. But whatever you buy we need pics.
Pretty much. The OP seems to know exactly what his options are and exactly what he wants .... but has that little bit of doubt so many of us know, when about to pullthe trigger on a new bike.

Buy the Aeroad. You can always sell it if you hate it.
Old 11-27-17, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Specifically what models are you looking at? I spoke with their sales guys and found out the approximate deliveries of bikes they are out of stock in and when they expected them to come in. I was torn between the Aeroad CF SLX 9 and the Ultimate CF SLX 9, but the Ultimate wasn't expected until after Xmas. I was already leaning towards the aeroad, but not wanting to wait that long it clinched the deal for me. Let me know and I can give you specifics or better yet, call them and get more up to date details. They were supposed to have a record version of the Ultimate already here by now and its still not on their USA website. I guess that date was pushed back to mid December. It is the regular record with the Shamal wheel if you look at their international website and pricing was going to be like $7K.
I am not sure at this point which model I would get. I would think either a Di2 bike or an E-Tap bike. Neither one is available in my size at the moment. I would love a Campy bike if the rest of the spec was good, either way I have to wait a bit to see what is available and when.

So, it seems the replies are leaning towards the Aeroad
Thanks again all.
Old 11-27-17, 05:23 PM

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am not sure at this point which model I would get. I would think either a Di2 bike or an E-Tap bike. Neither one is available in my size at the moment. I would love a Campy bike if the rest of the spec was good, either way I have to wait a bit to see what is available and when.

So, it seems the replies are leaning towards the Aeroad
Thanks again all.
All Ultegra DI2 options are on hold until March and canyon was telling me it was a
Shimano delay. The $9k Aeroad CF SLX 9 Ltd with Dura ace DI2 and the 454 zips is available in a lot of sizes. Also the Endurace 9 with Sram etap is available now in the larger sizes.
Old 11-27-17, 05:29 PM

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
E.g., about... 2% faster?
I love how you just snipped the fact that I did that with broken ribs part out. If you have never broken ribs, have your friend slam you in the chest with a sledge hammer. Make sure he hits you with the broadside so he gets at least four of them and report back on how fast you are riding in a month.
Old 11-27-17, 05:31 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
In 1980 I ordered a custom frame. I decided to go with a crit geometry and stiff tubing. Later I learned that was a big mistake.
They were certainly available with different geometries, but I mean the advertising and marketing endurance part of it.

Last edited by jitteringjr; 11-27-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-27-17, 05:48 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
... But to really look cool I would want an 80-mm-deep rear and 50 front ...
So 2015.

Best looking are 38s. I'm embarrassed to still have my kid on 50mm but they are 1120g/set so not too much so. They just look heavy.
Old 11-27-17, 09:37 PM

I love how you just snipped the fact that I did that with broken ribs part out. If you have never broken ribs, have your friend slam you in the chest with a sledge hammer. Make sure he hits you with the broadside so he gets at least four of them and report back on how fast you are riding in a month.
Anecdotal evidence is generally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses, not the least of which it is unverifiable--e.g., there's no way any friend of mine will break four ribs by slamming my chest with a sledge hammer to learn if I can shave five minutes riding an aero frame bike to the liquor store.
Old 11-28-17, 03:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anecdotal evidence is generally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses, not the least of which it is unverifiable--e.g., there's no way any friend of mine will break four ribs by slamming my chest with a sledge hammer to learn if I can shave five minutes riding an aero frame bike to the liquor store.
Nice plagiarism of wikipedia there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Now I know the answer to the question I asked myself when I read your replay, "Who talks like that?"
Old 11-28-17, 05:19 PM

Well, there is the source of the information .... and there is the information.

People often attack the source when they cannot find a flaw with the information.

Not saying anyone is doing that here .......
Old 11-28-17, 05:27 PM

The problem...

The use of anecdotal evidence to draw a conclusion is like using the NBA all-star teams to estimate the average height of Americans. ~wiki
Old 11-28-17, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
I was playing around with some numbers last night.
I know what reach and stack indicate but to be honest I did not know what the stack to reach ratio indicated or how to calculate it. I just knew that the lower the number the more aggresive the bike. In doing some research I believe stack divided by reach will give you the stack to reach ratio. (If that is not correct please let me know)
I was under the impression that my bike was more aggressive then even the Aeroad but the numbers do not support that. These are the stack to reach ratio numbers I came up with:
Litespeed Palmares 138
Canyon Ultimate 138
Canyon Aeroad 135
In the mean time, just waiting patiently for Canyon to make more bikes available to the US. I am pretty sure I can make a choice by then.
Old 11-28-17, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I was playing around with some numbers last night.
I know what reach and stack indicate but to be honest I did not know what the stack to reach ratio indicated or how to calculate it. I just knew that the lower the number the more aggresive the bike. In doing some research I believe stack divided by reach will give you the stack to reach ratio. (If that is not correct please let me know)
I was under the impression that my bike was more aggressive then even the Aeroad but the numbers do not support that. These are the stack to reach ratio numbers I came up with:
Litespeed Palmares 138
Canyon Ultimate 138
Canyon Aeroad 135
In the mean time, just waiting patiently for Canyon to make more bikes available to the US. I am pretty sure I can make a choice by then.
I assume those are 1.38, 1.38, etc?

You're talking about some pretty darn minor differences. I wouldn't even worry about it...

For instance...on the aeroad, 2 CM of spacers, and a 1cm shorter stem would make the aeroad LESS agressive than the Ultimate.

Conversely...throwing a 110mm stem on the ultimate, and slamming it/flipping it/etc, would make it MORE aggressive than both those bikes.

I'd make your decision based on whether you want a lightweight bike, or an aero bike. The geometry, at least in terms of fit, seem so close as to be insignificant. But what do I know
Old 11-28-17, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman

The geometry, at least in terms of fit, seem so close as to be insignificant. But what do I know
That makes sense from the bike designers point of view–e.g., tackle one variable at a time, which in this case is to make use of a proven geometry but shape CF or alloy materials to make components with less wind-resistance to achieve a more aerodynamic bicycle. Greg Lemond pretty much did that in 1989, winning the TDF by combining a more aerodynamic helmet with a traditional road bike that was equipped with aerobars.
Old 11-28-17, 08:24 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, there is the source of the information .... and there is the information.

People often attack the source when they cannot find a flaw with the information.

Not saying anyone is doing that here .......
90% or everything said on this forum is anecdotal evidence. And that is not anecdotal evidence, that’s just a number I pulled of of my A$$. If not for anecdotal evidence, there would be not much of a forum left over. Beside do we actually need empeirical evidence to prove that an injury decreases athletic performance on an otherwise meaningless forum? Or can we just move on and accept it as if not actual fact, highly probable?
Old 11-28-17, 08:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The problem...
You plagerize someone else’s work and show no regrets. That would also be the real problem.
Old 11-28-17, 08:27 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
That makes sense from the bike designers point of view–e.g., tackle one variable at a time, which in this case is to make use of a proven geometry but shape CF or alloy materials to make components with less wind-resistance to achieve a more aerodynamic bicycle. Greg Lemond pretty much did that in 1989, winning the TDF by combining a more aerodynamic helmet with a traditional road bike that was equipped with aerobars.
Well and really, would we expect frame geometries to change significantly within a given role (endurance, crit, etc)? I'd think those were pretty well hammered out by now.
Old 11-28-17, 08:31 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
You plagerize someone else’s work and show no regrets. That would also be the real problem.
Usually, getting righteous about plagiarism (especially in an extremely informal setting such as BF) is about more than a sentence fragment. Maybe you could just let the conversation return to the topic, or things at least vaguely related to it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.