Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleat keeps coming loose. Who to blame?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Who do I blame?
Speedplay - they suck
15.38%
You. You need to glue your screws in place or something.
40.38%
Adidas. Your shoes are the problem
9.62%
Blame wear and tear. After 18 months it's time for more stuff.
9.62%
Blame no one. Forget about it and keep tightening screws
25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 07:26 PM
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My left cleat keeps coming loose. This is huge pain in the butt because I have Speedplays, which require removing four screws just to get at the screws that go into the shoe. This happens about every month or more frequently. This is very annoying. Who do I blame?

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 11-25-07, 07:27 PM
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's Bush's fault.
Old 11-25-07, 07:29 PM
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 4000 miles on my X5s and have never had a problem. Well, I did have one problem when I unclipped, got off my bike and stepped in some mud.
Old 11-25-07, 07:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
umm... you?

use loctite, foo
Old 11-25-07, 07:35 PM
Queen of France

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
It's Bush's fault.
+1
Old 11-25-07, 07:42 PM
seppomadness

Originally Posted by ratebeer
My left cleat keeps coming loose. This is huge pain in the butt because I have Speedplays, which require removing four screws just to get at the screws that go into the shoe.
It actually takes about 30 seconds to 'reveal' the base screws but anyway for arguements sake lets pretend its a big hassle.

This happens about every month or more frequently. This is very annoying. Who do I blame?
First of all you should be checking your cleats before every ride. If you aren't then you are a bit of a goose. Its as bad as not checking your brakes and cables before you roll.

I have Zeros and sidis. Two sets. Both are setup perfectly now and I never have issue with the base screws. I would suggest it might be more to do with your shoes and the threads in the sole rather than the speedplays.

Old 11-25-07, 07:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano SPD-SL Ultegra or Dura Ace

EOT
Old 11-25-07, 07:52 PM
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
the terrorists
Old 11-25-07, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seppomadness
It actually takes about 30 seconds to 'reveal' the base screws but anyway for arguements sake lets pretend its a big hassle.
It takes on average about 5 minutes for a shop mechanic to do it. And then another five minutes to position and tighten the cleat and then replace the screws. Plus a half hour *****in' about it on BF.

We have rough, old roads here and I'm heavy at close to 190 pounds, so just stopping at lights mean Speedplay screws are constantly grinding small stones to bits. Speedplay's brilliant engineers have chosen not to recess the screws, meaning they intended the screw head to be a point of contact with the road. This means the screw heads are often filled with tiny bits of rock and gravel.

I don't check my brake cables before every ride. That's stupid. I've ridden close to 70k miles and have never broken a brake cable. Usually a couple times braking during my warm up let's me know the state of my entire braking system. And no I don't pay anyone to maintain my cleats on a daily basis. After having no maintenance cleats for many years, I'm not about to spend 5 minutes per ride checking my cables and cleats.

Old 11-25-07, 08:10 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
try some loctite or threadtape on the screws.
Old 12-04-07, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, that's it! SpeedPlay is now my second favorite brand next to iBike.

I guess I should be glad that it's raining today and so SpeedPlay didn't cost me a collar bone?

Old 12-04-07, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
loctite
loctite
loctite
loctite
Old 12-04-07, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
loctite
loctite
loctite
loctite
Whatever.

I've never had so much trouble with any other brand of pedals ever. And I've never had a long sour relationship with a pedal end in catastrophic failure.

Old 12-04-07, 04:40 PM
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't consider user error a catastrophic failure. If you don't properly secure the screws then of course they are not going to remain installed.
Old 12-04-07, 04:42 PM
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Liked 317 Times in 197 Posts
Which Speedplays do you have? Do you want to sell them for cheap? I've got Loctite...
Old 12-04-07, 04:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
Which Speedplays do you have? Do you want to sell them for cheap? I've got Loctite...
Sold! Speedplay Zeros.

Old 12-04-07, 04:56 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We have rough, old roads here and I'm heavy at close to 190 pounds, so just stopping at lights mean Speedplay screws are constantly grinding small stones to bits. Speedplay's brilliant engineers have chosen not to recess the screws, meaning they intended the screw head to be a point of contact with the road. This means the screw heads are often filled with tiny bits of rock and gravel.
I don't know what you are talking about... my screw heads do recess into the cleat. However, when the metal plate wears down, the heads to become exposed. I replace my cleats when the phillips slot on the head starts to wear down to the point where I won't be able to use it... or about 5,000 miles as the instructions say.
Old 12-04-07, 05:00 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blame the beer.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-04-07, 05:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I don't know what you are talking about... my screw heads do recess into the cleat. However, when the metal plate wears down, the heads to become exposed. I replace my cleats when the phillips slot on the head starts to wear down to the point where I won't be able to use it... or about 5,000 miles as the instructions say.
For me personally, cleats/pedals shouldn't be all about protecting them, coddling them, checking them daily and replacing them more than once a year. They shouldn't explode on you if their bum isn't wiped constantly.

FOR SALE CHEAP! Comes with new cleat covers!!!

Old 12-04-07, 05:11 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me personally, cleats/pedals shouldn't be all about protecting them, coddling them, checking them daily and replacing them more than once a year. They shouldn't explode on you if their bum isn't wiped constantly.
I don't coddle or protect mine. I wear the cleat covers when I get to my office because I have to walk up stairs made of concrete and polished river rock (I want to shoot whowever designed that!). I've replaced mine I think 3 times this year but I've ridden 18,000 miles so I can't say I'm surprised...
Old 12-04-07, 05:20 PM
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe your cleats are defective. Maybe your shoes are defective. Either case, it doesn't seem to be a global issue. I've never had that problem either
Old 12-04-07, 05:24 PM
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieWoo
Shimano SPD-SL Ultegra or Dura Ace

EOT
QFT

Thats the reason I ditched Speedplays. Dealing with the cleats coming loose was too much of a hassle. Not to mention trying to walk with those cleats is like trying to walk with two bricks under your toes.
Old 12-04-07, 05:27 PM
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You shoulda got Bebop pedals from the start. Pedal systems designed around the idea of plastic holding your cleats in place is bound for failure.
Old 12-04-07, 06:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayC
QFT

Thats the reason I ditched Speedplays. Dealing with the cleats coming loose was too much of a hassle. Not to mention trying to walk with those cleats is like trying to walk with two bricks under your toes.
I've got some keo carbons on the way. I expect to be a lot happier.

I never had any problem with the Eggbeaters -- ZILCH, ZERO -- but didn't trust them for sprinting. I'll ride those while I wait. Never had problems with the old Looks either. Toe straps? No problems either.

Speedplays are prima donna BS.

Old 12-04-07, 06:31 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe I guess you draw the line at pedal systems, but how do you feel about proper set-up and maintenance with other systems on the bike? I maintain my Speedplays like the drivetrain they connect to: good set-up, periodic cleaning and lubrication, and the occasional adjustment with, perhaps, annual replacement of wear items.

Just a thought.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.