Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Taking photos while moving

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Taking photos while moving

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You'll also maybe notice they're not exactly in fast-moving traffic contexts.
On that road along the creek I only recall one car in 40 miles, although there could have been one or two others.

Just to freak out some people I tried to find the photo I took while riding on Interstate 90 near Clinton, MT. Must have deleted it before uploading it to my computer.
Old 03-28-19, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 124Spider
As I noted, he's only endangering himself. Well, and the person immediately in front of him.

When not paying attention to what's happening in front of the bike, one is increasing the chances that something bad will happen. Some of his photos showed him to be only a few feet behind the guy in front of him; if something goes wrong with that guy, there will be a collision.
LOL! Which photos show "only a few feet"? Certainly not those in posts #22 and #23 . BTW...Have you ever heard of a zoom lens? Not sure why I bothered asking because you couldn't even answer my first simple question.

Even though you have already caused some self-inflicted wounds, I still think it's a good idea for you to leave this thread.

P.S. That's a woman in front of me, and she was never in danger of colliding with me.
Old 03-28-19, 12:58 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
On that road along the creek I only recall one car in 40 miles, although there could have been one or two others.

Just to freak out some people I tried to find the photo I took while riding on Interstate 90 near Clinton, MT. Must have deleted it before uploading it to my computer.

Truth is that highway riding is some of the easiest--you just have to keep in the breakdown lane and hope no one decides to swoop in from behind. Obviously, I don't ride interstates in New England, but some of the 55 mph state roads are pretty similar, and I can go 20 miles or more without encountering any cross traffic.
Old 03-28-19, 01:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I was horribly maimed and later succumbed to my injuries after taking this picture with my iPhone. Pulled it out of my pocket and pressed a button. Then died, as I said earlier.

Old 03-28-19, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by caloso
I was horribly maimed and later succumbed to my injuries after taking this picture with my iPhone. Pulled it out of my pocket and pressed a button. Then died, as I said earlier.
You can R.I.P. knowing you are missed.
Old 03-28-19, 01:35 PM

Truth is that highway riding is some of the easiest--you just have to keep in the breakdown lane and hope no one decides to swoop in from behind.
True. While touring in the Black Hills back in 2015 I opted for maybe 4 miles on I-90 at the end of the day to reach my destination town. The alternative was a shoulderless road with, what my research suggested, contained a fair amount of traffic, especially as it got closer to town. The only issue was crossing one off ramp before my exit. I noticed that turn signals are optional in South Dakota. As a precaution, I stopped short of the ramp, looked back and waited until there was a very large gap in traffic. As you can see, traffic was pretty light by Interstate standards.

Old 03-28-19, 02:34 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 124Spider

It's silly, to the extreme, to pretend that this isn't distracted cycling. Reasonable people can differ about how dangerous a particular incarnation of "taking a photo while cycling" is, but no reasonable person can pretend that it's not distracted cycling.
Not interested in the fight, but you clearly meant to say that you encouraged him to endanger himself, and I find that more than a bit nasty.

As to the point, lots of things are "distracted cycling". Talking to people while riding is a distraction, turning your head slightly to look at a dog is a distraction, biting a Clif bar (yuck!) is a distraction, pulling a water bottle out of a cage is a distraction,, itching your nose is a distraction, shifting a gear is a distraction--should I go on?

I wouldn't take photos while riding because I have eyesight issues, but I'm not at all skeptical that some people have found ways of doing it safely in some contexts.
Old 03-28-19, 02:38 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by caloso
Obviously, you accidentally clicked on the InstantAfterlife app.
Old 03-28-19, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Yep. They still process film.

https://photo.walgreens.com/store/film-processing

There are a lot of Luddites still out there. Sometimes when I tour in rural America I see VHS tapes for rent at small stores. I'm coming up on my two-year anniversary of getting a smart phone, and I have never downloaded an App. Not certain I would even have it if my employer didn't give it to me and weren't paying the bill.
I haven't seen VHS for rent anywhere in forever, but you can still find them at garage sales and flea markets around here.

As far as a smart phone goes, I use mine to track my mileage on my bike using Strava or Runtastic. Of course I don't know what the rules are regarding your employer-provided phone, but I've found these apps to be quite handy.
Old 03-28-19, 03:16 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
one of my friends showed me a phone steadicam sort of thing, with an auxiliary battery in the handle ..
Old 03-28-19, 04:51 PM

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I used to take my phone out for the occasional pic until I lost balance and crashed into my wife’s bike going a decent speed. Got some good road rash and put the first few scratches on a new bike. Yeah, I’ll stop next time. There is no image worth my safety or of those around me.
Old 03-28-19, 05:04 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This was my death photo. I feel like it was worth it.

Sorry about the blurry GPS in this shot. It says I was going 50 MPH in my 70 tooth ring.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-28-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Let me see if I have this right. You are on a smooth MUP or empty road with great sight lines and no people, cyclists or motor vehicles in sight and you still stop to take a drink?
Yes again. Despite being older than the majority of forum members, I'm not in so much of a hurry I can't stop for a sip or a bite.. or a pic.
I also recognize I won't change your point of view, nor will you change mine.
Let's cycle on.
Old 03-28-19, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

I have found it hard to get a shot of the head unit showing +300w since I'm working hard

& things are moving around at the time.

Just missed it here.
Old 03-28-19, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Some pictures are much easier to take while riding. Sometimes it is even safer riding than standing still in the same position as the photo was taken while riding. It is pretty hard to get a picture that shows what riding in traffic is about without riding in traffic.
This was much safer than standing in the middle of the road. My wife and I took 10,000 pictures on a 3-month tour, and more than 99% were take standing still.

If was standing still for this picture I'd get one or two shots. While riding next to her I was able to get over a dozen shots.

We have pictures of my wife taking a picture of me while I was taking a picture of her. Both of us were riding. If there is little traffic, I don't see a problem.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-29-19 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Yes again. Despite being older than the majority of forum members, I'm not in so much of a hurry I can't stop for a sip or a bite.. or a pic.
I also recognize I won't change your point of view, nor will you change mine.
Let's cycle on.
I am not interested in changing your "point of view," and me being younger or older than your average BF member (I am 54, BTW) or in a hurry has nothing to do with anything. Just wanted clarification. I do some fully loaded touring, which often has me averaging 10 mph at the end of the day. Stop to take a lot of pics and to snack and drink. (In fact, a photo from my 2017 tour in MT and ID is going to appear in the Spring/Summer edition of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy newsletter.) At the same time, if I am climbing some 15 mile mountain in the heat I drink quite often. If I had to stop every time I needed a sip of water It would make a long, hard day even longer and harder. Heavily loaded bikes are a PITA to get started on an 8% grade.
Old 03-29-19, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Let me see if I have this right. You are on a smooth MUP or empty road with great sight lines and no people, cyclists or motor vehicles in sight and you still stop to take a drink?
Of course he does
Old 03-29-19, 06:13 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Yep.

Perhaps @tclune can tell me what appreciable risk I exposed myself and others to while taking this shot:

I think the argument was about equivalency to texting & driving. So a car driving on this same empty road, would texting at the same time be just as non risky?
Old 03-29-19, 06:30 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
GoPro has a voice mode that will take a photo when you tell it to. It also has a continuous shooting mode that will take a pic at pre-determined intervals. The wide field of view takes a more realistic photo of what you are seeing vs. a cell phone camera.
Originally Posted by canklecat
Video camera, grab still frames later. I do that a lot. VLC media player is great for frame grabs or short video snippets from long, boring bike videos.

Or set the video camera to still mode. Most can be set to shot a still every few seconds.

Mount the camera on your helmet and it'll photograph whatever you look at. With a handlebar mount and ballhead you can twist the camera to aim other directions as needed.

Sometimes I'll tuck an Olympus Toughcam into a jersey pocket for pix, but I don't often use it on group rides. I don't trust my balance enough to take my eyes off the road. I don't even look at the camera -- I set it to wide angle and just point the camera where I'm looking. I can fix level and crop issues later in Lightroom.

And I've seen too many cyclists fumble their cell phones to take photos -- worst ergonomics of any photography device, like a bar of soap.
This is the best (and safest) way to do it. If you have the GoPro or other similar action camera it should be set to the highest resolution (4K) for the best rest results.

I've taken countless photos while moving. This is one of my favorites. It takes some skill, but done under the right conditions it's not dangerous. Saw maybe three vehicles in 30 miles on that road.

The thing about photography is that if you take enough photos you're bound to get some that look good. Nevertheless, that "random occurance" does not dismiss the fact that every time you take a hand off the handle bars and divert your attention you increase your likelihood of causing an accident or injury. Even taking a drink has to be at the right instance and under the right conditions, and that's a lot less distracting of your attention.

Just because something can be done doesn't make it prudent or safe, or wise. That's what he's taking about. But I'm sure this isn't something you don't already know.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-29-19 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 06:57 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think the argument was about equivalency to texting & driving. So a car driving on this same empty road, would texting at the same time be just as non risky?
The comparison is stupid. The taking of the picture actually requires the photographer to pay attention to what's ahead of him, texting does exactly the opposite. A bicyclist shouldn't be texting while riding that path either.

Doesn't exactly look like they're going fast enough that there are going to be any split-second decisions needed, either. Is it dangerous to take a picture and walk at the same time?
Old 03-29-19, 07:04 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
The comparison is stupid. The taking of the picture actually requires the photographer to pay attention to what's ahead of him, texting does exactly the opposite. A bicyclist shouldn't be texting while riding that path either.

Doesn't exactly look like they're going fast enough that there are going to be any split-second decisions needed, either. Is it dangerous to take a picture and walk at the same time?
Ok.. shift the discussion a bit. How about having a conversation on a cellphone while driving and not using a handsfree device; also I believe not legal. Or, there's talk to text I think now.

Also, is this whole discussion only about taking pictures of what's in front of you and not the sides or rear?
Old 03-29-19, 07:06 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
This is the best (and safest) way to do it. If you have the GoPro or other similar action camera it should be set to the highest resolution (4K) for the best rest results.

The thing about photography is that if you take enough photos you're bound to get some that look good. Nevertheless, that "random occurance" does not dismiss the fact that every time you take a hand off the handle bars and divert your attention you increase your likelihood of causing an accident or injury. Even taking a drink has to be at the right instance and under the right conditions, and that's a lot less distracting of your attention.

Just because something can be done doesn't make it prudent or safe, or wise. That's what he's taking about. But I'm sure this isn't something you don't already know.

It's obviously a situational thing--there will be places where it's relatively safe to do it, and others where it never should be tried.

There are some things that are categorically unsafe that should just never be done--I would use texting while riding as an example, riding while drunk as another, and riding while blindfolded if you really need it to be extreme.
Old 03-29-19, 07:15 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Ok.. shift the discussion a bit. How about having a conversation on a cellphone while driving and not using a handsfree device; also I believe not legal. Or, there's talk to text I think now.

Also, is this whole discussion only about taking pictures of what's in front of you and not the sides or rear?

The phone one is kind of funny because I do almost all of my driving in two states, and one allows handheld phones and the other doesn't. Obviously, phone use in cars has its own balance of benefit vs. risk, so what's your point? Do I believe that someone driving on that path could talk on a phone safely? Yes, if they don't have to look at their phone in order to dial it. So what?

I assume anyone shooting in any other direction than right in front of them is probably just pointing the camera in that direction and clicking without looking, just hoping to catch something. Obviously, if you have to ride with your head turned for more than a second or so (something I do when I cross an intersection, btw), you're not operating safely.
Old 03-29-19, 07:20 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
We aren't trying to be Ansel Adams. Just point the camera back (or up or down or to the side) and shoot. There is no need to even look at the screen or viewfinder.

As an example.

-Tim-
Old 03-29-19, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
lol yup

I think doing more yoga would make me more flexible

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-29-19 at 07:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.