Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike: short legs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 06:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2011 => Trek Emonda ALR 4 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi - I want to ride a road bike with drop-off handlebars, but my problem is I have short legs: I am 5'9" (175 cm), but my inseam is about 30 inches. I've measured it and got my first [used] bike: Trek 1.2 52cm. It fits me fine in standover, but too short in top tube. I've tried gazillion of other bikes - the ones that fit me in length are too high (press on my private parts), and ones that fine in that area are too short.

How do I solve this problem? I've tried to find bike with the right geometry, but found no models made for me. Did I miss something?

Some recommended to get longer stem - I tried, but something did not feel right. Any idea what was that?

The third [maybe stupid] option I am thinking is get a frame if a hybrid bike and built a road bike from it. Anyone has experience doing this? Is it at all worth considering?

I am rather new to biking, so any help is appreciated.

P.S. I want my drop-off handlebars
Old 08-13-17, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Look for frames with sloping top tubes. Maybe even a "women's" frame.
Old 08-13-17, 07:02 PM
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8891 Post(s)
Liked 3,053 Times in 1,766 Posts
You might want to have the mods move this to the "fitting your bike" forum to get better responses. No offense to other respondents. I am the same size as you and I ride a 54 which might be your problem - the frame is too small. Get the right size frame and that solves your problem. Since that can't happen, unless you want to buy a different bike, my guess is the longer stem and saddle fore/aft position would be where to start. Good luck.
Old 08-13-17, 07:13 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Look for bikes that utilize compact geometry, like Giant and many of the Specialized and Trek offerings - the sloping top tube will give you more stand-over height for a given top tube length. If the top tube length still isn't enough, and the next size up doesn't give you enough standover, get a longer stem.
Old 08-13-17, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried "sloping" women's models (Trek Domane, Liv Avail) -- they're one size better (54 is ok on inseam) - but is still too short.

Last edited by fmilovanov; 08-13-17 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have similar proportion- 6' tall, 32" inseam,

and fit a regular size (56 cm) without issue.

That's a lot of bikes to have tried if you're new to riding!
Old 08-13-17, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Proper race bikes, like a Giant TCR, tend to be long and low.
Old 08-13-17, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Proper race bikes, like a Giant TCR, tend to be long and low.
+1. Try an Medium Giant TCR.
Old 08-14-17, 12:32 AM

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get yourself a 130mm stem and be done with it. A 52 cm bike comes with a 90-100 mm stem. You'll have your long top tube in no-time.

You could get a bike with compact geometry, but then you have to ride an ugly bike.
Old 08-14-17, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
Your standover height makes absolutely no difference once you're sitting on the saddle. You really don't need any clearance when standing over the frame. You'll learn to mount without mashing something that shouldn't be mashed. Also make sure you're testing the bike wearing your cycling shoes. You're not going to be riding it barefoot are you?

As twodownzero mentioned, a 52cm frame with a 130mm stem will fit you almost like a 55cm frame with a 100mm stem. You can do a lot of fitting adjustments by changing stems. And, if buying the bike at a local bike shop, they should be able to swap stems for free, as well as let you demo the longer stem.

With some luck, you should even be able to find a 140mm or 150mm stem, perhaps even longer.

The Pro Racers often rider smaller frames with long stems to achieve more saddle to bar drop.

As far as conversions. I did do a 26" MTB to 700c road conversion a while ago. It made a most unique bike. Short in height, long in length. Moderately low vertical clearance for rear wheel, but LOTS of width. It also required a wider (vintage MTB) crankset. Road Fork.

Old 08-14-17, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by fmilovanov
Hi - I want to ride a road bike with drop-off handlebars, but my problem is I have short legs: I am 5'9" (175 cm), but my inseam is about 30 inches. I've measured it and got my first [used] bike: Trek 1.2 52cm. It fits me fine in standover, but too short in top tube. I've tried gazillion of other bikes - the ones that fit me in length are too high (press on my private parts), and ones that fine in that area are too short.

How do I solve this problem? I've tried to find bike with the right geometry, but found no models made for me. Did I miss something?

Some recommended to get longer stem - I tried, but something did not feel right. Any idea what was that?

The third [maybe stupid] option I am thinking is get a frame if a hybrid bike and built a road bike from it. Anyone has experience doing this? Is it at all worth considering?

I am rather new to biking, so any help is appreciated.

P.S. I want my drop-off handlebars
IMO, if you get a longer stem, get a seat post with a bit more set back too. This way you can elongate the seat to bar distance without affecting the balance too much. Then you also wont need a crazy long stem.
Old 08-14-17, 05:25 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Hi - I want to ride a road bike with drop-off handlebars, but my problem is I have short legs: I am 5'9" (175 cm), but my inseam is about 30 inches.:
Why doesn't 5'9" w/30" inseam sound all that abnormal to me?
Old 08-14-17, 06:10 AM
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8891 Post(s)
Liked 3,053 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I hear you. those are my dimensions and until I read this post I thought I was normal.

Now, I don't know. I am so confused.
Old 08-14-17, 06:16 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It isn't. He just bought a bike that's way to small because he's more concerned with how a bike feels with his feet on the ground than actually riding it.
Old 08-14-17, 08:16 AM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
^ Agreed. I know it might seem crazy, but if you can forget about standover, you'll actually get a bike that fits. And you'll get used to not being able to flat-foot the thing on both sides if that's how the result.

The trade-off, though, is getting a bike that fits you properly when you're riding it rather than straddling it, as @brianmcg123 wrote.
Old 08-14-17, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys - you are generally right about ignoring standover, but I ride in Manhattan (to work), so frequent stops and I need to have my feet on the ground. Therefore standover in kinda important.

Will look at that Giant TCR, and in a mean time play with stems.
Old 08-14-17, 08:50 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Guys - you are generally right about ignoring standover, but I ride in Manhattan (to work), so frequent stops and I need to have my feet on the ground. Therefore standover in kinda important.

No it isn't.
Old 08-14-17, 09:17 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

I commuted from Brooklyn to Manhattan for several years and I have similar proportions to you, except I'm a few inches taller. You're making this a bigger deal than it is - it's shouldn't be that hard to find a compact or semi-compact that allows enough clearance (it's not like you need an inch air space or anything crazy) and can be paired with a stem of a reasonable length (probably 20-30mm longer than stock) to give you the reach you need.
Old 08-14-17, 09:22 AM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
What you'll find is that when you need to stop, you'll naturally yourself move off the saddle and put only one foot down, which means you can clear several inches more than you can with both feet down. I suspect that's for even those leggy people who can flat-foot from the saddle.

I'm not interested in suggesting what I think you should do -- that's up to you, of course. Just trying to help you get a bike that fits well and to get past a common misconception.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-17, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
If planning to stop with both feet down at every light best hope you don't cross paths with BikeSnob and end up on his blog
Old 08-14-17, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
6' here with a 30" inseam. I ride a 58cm endurance road bike. And I am not sure that any type of stop I have ever had both feet on the ground at the same time. Right foot clipped in, bike leaning a bit to the left because that foot is down. I thought everyone did a variation of this?
Old 08-14-17, 11:02 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,539 Times in 1,860 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
6' here with a 30" inseam. I ride a 58cm endurance road bike. And I am not sure that any type of stop I have ever had both feet on the ground at the same time. Right foot clipped in, bike leaning a bit to the left because that foot is down. I thought everyone did a variation of this?
Wrong ... totally wrong. I lean the the Right so I am leaning away from traffic.

Old 08-14-17, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Wrong ... totally wrong. I lean the the Right so I am leaning away from traffic.

I know that you are kidding with me, but in all seriousness, I keep my right foot clipped in because that is my stronger leg, and I am often riding a high gear ratio fixed gear on the street and when the light turns green, I need to be able to get going quickly.
Old 08-14-17, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
What's this about unclipping for lights? I thought one just slowly rolls up to the lights with both feet on the pedals, then when the light changes, stand up and sprint to beat the next dozen lights

I'm 5'10, with shortish legs. I bought a 60cm bike with a horizontal Top Tube when I was 16, and rode it for decades. I never thought about it being too tall until I joined this forum a couple of years ago. I don't think about flat footing it. I tend to sit with one cheek on the TT, one foot on the pedal, and one on the ground, ready to roll. I suppose standover is tight, but not uncomfortable.

If I had it to all do over again, and to roll time back 35 years... I'd buy the same bike. And it has had a lot of commuter miles.

In recent years, I've built up a couple of bikes. I try to target 60cm or less. Perhaps somewhere around 56cm. Each bike fits just a little differently. I don't have any magic fit size. I have been working on a little extra bar drop, so a shorter head tube is nice. Thus, I'm not a big fan of the sloping top tubes (along with vintage appeal of horizontal TTs).
Old 08-14-17, 12:15 PM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

or....better yet, dismount and lean the bike against a tree or a wall.

Best bet with short legs is to purchase two frames and combine them. Buy a small frame and glue it to a large. That is the benefit of carbon fiber, you can glue it together like a stick model.

That way you have the standover of a small and the reach of a large. Sometimes combining frames is the best solution and ironically combining two frames also satisfied those with long legs but typically requires smaller wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.