Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Much Do Hills Affect Average Speed...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How Much Do Hills Affect Average Speed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 08:21 PM
Single-serving poster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
This thread reminds me of a topic brought up long ago, which also left me regretting that I had ever heard of it - counter steering.
What is wrong with counter steering?!
Old 10-28-10, 08:24 PM

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I only read a tiny bit of these 9 pages of drivel. All I know is I can ride ~20mph average all week long in flat West Texas (200 miles, 1000 total feet climbing, 9.5 hours ride time). Absolutely balls-to-the-wall riding my 30 miles loop, 2500 feet climbing, here I can barely break 18mph. A more casual pace is 17mph. Thus, climbing slows your average speed down by 20%.
Old 10-28-10, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make it go down.
Old 10-28-10, 08:34 PM
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
What is wrong with counter steering?!
It's an instinctual maneuver anyone riding on two wheels does to initiate a turn. I didn't need a long over-drawn debate about it. Same with ducking to avoid a ball tossed toward one's head. It took me awhile to not think about CS it when out on a ride becacuse I have an aversion to wasting precious brain time. Some things aren't worth thinking about. Counter steering being one of those things.
Old 10-28-10, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Not sure if somebody mentioned it, but I think the aerodynamic drag isn't linear on the descent, so it will steal some of your speed. Also you're a lot more likely to brake... Has anybody brought in the second law of thermodynamics yet??
Don't bother trying. You'll only want to pound your head on a table.
Old 10-28-10, 10:03 PM
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
the OP wanted to know if there is a greater or lesser discrepancy between average speeds for rides of varying terrain, depending on rider experience. His hypothesis was that a more experienced rider would show a lesser discrepancy. My data backed it up, but I still felt the premise was flawed because it failed to take into account the cubic nature of drag vs velocity.
OP here - I agree 100% with Grumpy. I ignored drag because it was convenient and because it's not too much of an issue at my old man speeds. FWIW, using the power web site analysis recommended, I found my average speed at the average slope (feet of ascent / (miles * 5280)) on the various laps corresponded pretty consistently to 200W if I was in the drops and 230W if I was on the hoods. My analysis is obviously quite superficial. It doesn't include net elevation gain or loss, I am using the average inclination, etc. I need to get a lot more serious about collecting data and analyzing it if I want to pursue this beyond this very rough analysis.

I'm an enthusiastic novice. I'm fortunate to be able to ride a lot, over 3,200 miles since I started in June. My Tuesday's ride lap results surprised me - it was the first time they reflected such a clear disparity in ascending and its effect on my speed. Could climbing make such a huge difference for experienced cyclists? So I launched what seemed like a reasonable question.

It's quite amazing to see the way a thread can take on a life of its own. I am adding this response despite my concern about making the thread even longer because the subject of the thread actually returned somewhat to my original topic and I actually do appreciate the responses.

Last edited by hobkirk; 10-28-10 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 10:12 PM
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
As the OP's experience grows he may (but not necessarily) go faster on the flat so that his up speed becomes a lower percentage of his "normal" flat speed. His down speed will be more limited by wind as he tries to go faster. So for him the hill effect may grow! But a different rider may not typically ride that fast on the flat but be quite able to spin uphill with a good aerobic capacity to back it up. So that rider's up/flat/down speeds may not differ as much from each other. There are too many ways it can go in practice. The only way to make a calculation-based prediction is to define your baseline, and that's not so easy!
You might be right if I don't lose more weight. My weight has gotten stuck at 222# (down 25) although my waist has lost 6". I need to lose at least 30# more. Since excess weight affects climbing much more than flat riding the speed differential could very well increase. Hopefully the weight will start dropping again - that should diminish the disparity automatically.
Old 10-29-10, 12:23 AM
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the addiction thread for "intellectual" men. We need Mathlab or math fonts so they can have their fill. One of the few posts that actually reference post numbers instead of quoting.
Old 10-29-10, 01:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are all wrong. You can get all the time back on the down hill simply by riding faster than the speed of light (which I can do when I'm on form).

Don't try this in a race though, you end up finishing the race before you start it!
Old 10-29-10, 03:43 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
We could make a movie about this thread starring G. Clooney and M. Wahlberg called 'The Perfect Moron'.
Old 10-29-10, 04:00 AM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
massively. on flats i go at about mid 20s. I've noticed that on flattish routes my av speed is is in the twenties and certainly on flat stretches i would normally go along mid 20s. Throw in hills and my av speed heads down to the 16, 15 region. pathetic.

on downhills i am lightning fast.
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Sure, so does Razor.
min is real, though.
I've been having trouble sleeping the last few nights and i think it is a guilty conscience about this thread. I have to come clean for the sake of my sanity. My average speed on flattish routes is about 20, not mid twenties.

There. I've said it. I feel better already. Some of you should come to BF confession too.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 10-29-10, 05:20 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wanna confess too.
I said it was middle school math. I really meant elementary school math.
Old 10-29-10, 05:52 AM

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been having trouble sleeping the last few nights and i think it is a guilty conscience about this thread. I have to come clean for the sake of my sanity. My average speed on flattish routes is about 20, not mid twenties.

There. I've said it. I feel better already. Some of you should come to BF confession too.
You shouldn't have lost any sleep over that. We knew.
Old 10-29-10, 06:33 AM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hao
I wanna confess too.
I said it was middle school math. I really meant elementary school math.
Alas, that's the same level as most people's logic skills, reading comprehension, attention span, and understanding of the second law of thermodynamics.

With apologies to the OP for contributing to the derailment of his thread. Anyone can PM me or start a new thread if they can't let this one die.

/Pedaleur
Old 10-29-10, 06:40 AM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i think the genuinely useful stuff has already been posted like the grumpy stats. dreailments are go!

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 10-29-10, 06:49 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
Alas, that's the same level as most people's logic skills, reading comprehension, attention span, and understanding of the second law of thermodynamics.
Chill dude, it's the Intarwebz, not a critical thinking class.
Old 10-29-10, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logdrum
This is the addiction thread for "intellectual" men. We need Mathlab or math fonts so they can have their fill. One of the few posts that actually reference post numbers instead of quoting.
Maybe we should just be able to write our post using a little LaTex.
Old 10-29-10, 05:14 PM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

I have learned that almost all quoted speeds are 20% inflated
Old 10-29-10, 06:18 PM
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
This thread reminds me the that only good part about working around engineer-types is my salary.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 11-04-10, 02:02 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I missed this debate while I was benched. I don't really have anything to add except pedantry, so...

Simply saying the average of 10 and 20 is not 15 begs the question, because even a high-school analysis shows that going downhill speeds you up more than going uphill slows you down.
I must say, this is the only time I have ever seen "begs the question" used correctly on bikeforums.

But for the proof to be complete, we must postulate that the average speed on flat ground would be the arithmetic mean in the first place -- a claim that is easily disproved. Thus begging the question, "Why do we care if the average speed is not the arithmetic mean of v_up and v_down?"
Unfortunately this is not used correctly.
Old 11-04-10, 02:37 PM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
I missed this debate while I was benched. I don't really have anything to add except pedantry, so...

I must say, this is the only time I have ever seen "begs the question" used correctly on bikeforums.

Relevance?
Old 11-04-10, 02:42 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hao
Relevance?
Seriously?
Old 11-04-10, 02:44 PM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am nominating this thread for the 41 Hall of Fame.
Old 11-04-10, 03:37 PM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd

Hahaha! So I got carried away, on more than one front.

It should say, "which begs the question," not "thus begging the question", because it avoids the question, not raises it.

You missed a good pointless pedantic physics argument, though -- it must have been hard on you!

I'm sensing a revival...
Old 11-04-10, 03:47 PM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hao
Relevance?
Really. After all that you want relevance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.