Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed with the options - help?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Overwhelmed with the options - help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ultegra?? whats that?
Old 04-03-10, 07:44 PM

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ultegra is the second from the top in the Shimano line of components. It's very nice.

I just bought my wife a Specialized Expert triple for around 3K. It has all Ultegra components. It's the WSD version of Specialize's Roubaix line, which is the relaxed geometry. If you want something more racy, look at the Tarmac or Amira (WSD) line.
Old 04-03-10, 08:01 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bathedinshadow
Hi everybody. I've been reading through the forums and have found some information, but when it comes down to it, I'm just not well versed with the details yet. I'm looking to buy my first road bike since I was a teenager. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions.

About me:
- I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and female.
- My main riding is mtb, and I've been riding my FS MTB as my only bike for some time. I'd like to get a road specific bike.
- For the lifetime of the bike I'll mostly be doing 2 hours at a time regularly.
- I am planning to train for a long distance ride (several full days of riding).

What I want/need:
- Something Light
- Climbs Well
- Fairly stable on the fast downhills
- Though I am planning the long ride, I'd rather buy something that was more designed for the 2 hour rides I'll be doing. However, I don't want to be miserable on my trip either.
- I have no need to ever put bags or anything on the bike as I'll have a support vehicle on the long ride.
- I'm a girl - looks matter.
- Though I come from a MTB background, I do plan on getting into road cycling and I'd rather buy a bike that is beyond my needs and grow into, than a bike that meets my needs now and just have to go get another one in a year.

I've been looking around at a lot of different bikes. I'm not really sure what I'm even looking for and perhaps the ones that have caught my attention are completely off the mark or not worth the money. I've never heard of the brand Kuota, but I definitely like the way they look. I know it's not all about that, but at this point, that is sort of my focus. I like the looks of the Giant TCR Advanced 3 as well. And then the Cannondale Synapse. What do you guys think about these bikes?

I'm hoping to stay around the 3k mark, but I definitely have the "over the top syndrome" and it gets the best of me sometimes. Any suggestions for a bike for me?

Thanks, I know this was wordy.
At least you have the most important part of cycling down-pat.

I recommend:
2010 Kuota Kebel, Rival; MSRP is $3,200 but you should be able to get it cheaper.

Reason for recommendation:
- Not common on the road; looks more exotic than Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, etc.
- It's a climbing bike (shorter chainstays allow it to climb better up hills yet the bike has a 48 mm rake fork, which allows very stable handling on descents).
- SRAM Rival hoods shape tends to fit women better; but try the Shimano Ultegra bike to see if you like that one better. Also the Rival bike is cheaper and lighter.
- Did I say that it looks sexy?

Other considerations:
- Be sure to save up for other schwag like Castelli or Assos clothing, decent looking helmet and shoes (like red SIDI's), etc. Stuff adds up fast, but IMO, it's better to get a fewer pieces of quality kit that will last and look good as well to match your bike than to cheap out (especially on bibs/shorts), which will only hurt on your long rides (it's sort of like saving up for a BMW and then putting in regular fuel to save a few bucks).
- Also, you will probably need to change the saddle to one that fits you better anatomically, so take that into consideration.

Last edited by kimconyc; 04-03-10 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome choice, BMC is out there too.
Old 04-03-10, 08:11 PM

Location: Saratoga Springs, NY summer, SLC, UT fall,winter,spring

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Six 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cannondale synapse carbon 4 feminine? perfect bike with more relaxed geometry for your longer rides but still maintaining being able to be aggressive. https://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...bon-Feminine-4
Old 04-04-10, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kimconyc

I recommend:
2010 Kuota Kebel, Rival; MSRP is $3,200 but you should be able to get it cheaper.
I actually had my eye on that one. I rode the Kharma, which was okay. They didn't have the Kebel in my size in stock. I've got my eye on the Argon 18 Krypton too. Anybody with experience on that bike? I'm hoping to ride it in the next couple of days, but most of the stores aren't showing it in stock.
Old 04-04-10, 03:19 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by g.r.e.g.
cannondale synapse carbon 4 feminine? perfect bike with more relaxed geometry for your longer rides but still maintaining being able to be aggressive. https://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...bon-Feminine-4
I rode the synapse today (not the feminine though). While it was actually a pretty comfortable ride, I didn't LOVE the bike itself. I'm not even sure why. Maybe it just boiled down to me not loving the look? Seems like a dumb reason to not go for a bike, but nevertheless...
Old 04-04-10, 04:18 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bathedinshadow
I actually had my eye on that one. I rode the Kharma, which was okay. They didn't have the Kebel in my size in stock. I've got my eye on the Argon 18 Krypton too. Anybody with experience on that bike? I'm hoping to ride it in the next couple of days, but most of the stores aren't showing it in stock.
The Kharma is a crit. bike. Try out the Kebel because it's pretty much designed to meet the needs and then some for what you wrote (climb, descent, long rides, etc.).
Old 04-04-10, 01:51 PM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should also take a look at the Scott CR1. Comfort oriented, but leans towards the race end of the spectrum.

Here's an excerpt

We had the bike for over a week of rides and were very pleased with the bike’s overall ride. Even though the CR1 is no longer a hard core racing machine, it is still snappy and can handle most of the fast rides you can throw at it. The comfort of the bike is where it really shines. On one long Sunday ride of over 80 miles of rollers the CR1 was so forgiving that we were sad to see the ride end. On a weekday club ride the bike held its own with the “big boy” racing bikes, and even got a few long looks from the other riders.

While not being a full-on race bike, the CR1 is a perfect combination of speed and comfort. We truly enjoyed riding the CR1 and found it to be a great all-around bike with super performance and better comfort. Scott has developed a reputation for making bikes that define and then lead a bike category, and the CR1 is just that. A true class leader that is sure to please the most picky of bicycle consumer. The new CR1 should be another category leader for Scott.
www.bicycle.net

Last edited by SVThis; 04-04-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 08:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah I'll give the Kebel a ride once I come across one in my size for sure. I wasn't able to hit up many stores today since a lot of them were closed. I did ride the Argon Krypton. I was actually a really nice ride. It felt good. I'll still try a few more though!