Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

decent value saddle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

decent value saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 10:31 PM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
one Toupe (Christmas present, thankyouverymuch), and three Avatars/Alais found in LBS bins. Once you find the shape that works for your behind, don't cheap out.
Old 06-04-10, 10:34 PM

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every saddle sucks in it's own way. Pick the least evil. I used a Performance Forte Pro SLX (which is like a Selle Italia knock off) for a couple thousand miles. For $40 it holds it's own against my Arione. The Arione was easier on the sit bones but was harder to get fit right.
Old 06-04-10, 10:37 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
one Toupe (Christmas present, thankyouverymuch), and three Avatars/Alais found in LBS bins. Once you find the shape that works for your behind, don't cheap out.
We must have the same shaped butt. I'm riding a Toupe, Alias and Avatar. Anything else makes my ass hurt.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-04-10, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRietz
On the contrary, the Terry Fly DESTROYED my rear. I ended up being very comfortable with a Selle Italia SLR XP.

My point is, saddles are different for everyone. Try a bunch for yourself.
Fair enough, I tried the a Fizik Arionne and I didn't like it for long rides at all. I know that Performance will let you use a saddle and return it if it doesn't work for you. I'm not sure if my LBS would do the same thing.
Old 06-04-10, 11:47 PM
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
A good route to go is buying used saddles on e-Bay that way you can get a good deal on higher end saddles, but Walter makes a good point about expense not guaranteeing comfort. I went through a couple of saddles before finding the one that works for me and the Arione has been great in the 2 years I've been using it.
Old 06-05-10, 05:41 AM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Dude the Price point brands Sette saddles are very nice made by Velo saddles I have one it was cheap under $30 and is very comfy & light.....check it out
Old 06-05-10, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I just bought a Bontranger Inform for my bike after riding 2500 miles on my Bottecchia what ever saddle it has. I did not mind the original saddle and did a century on it without any trouble but the 90 trial to return was worth the risk. I rode it today and this is a better saddle but I am not sure if it is a huge difference. I feels a little softer for sure inthe right places and seems to make riding better. The Bontrager gets really good reviews so I will see how it plays out. I am out nothing if it does not work better I can take it back so I am out nothing. I would not have done it otherwise because you can spend a lot on saddles and basically I probably can get use to many over time.
Old 06-05-10, 03:51 PM
175mm crank of love

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I just bought a Bontranger Inform for my bike after riding 2500 miles on my Bottecchia what ever saddle it has. I did not mind the original saddle and did a century on it without any trouble but the 90 trial to return was worth the risk. I rode it today and this is a better saddle but I am not sure if it is a huge difference. I feels a little softer for sure inthe right places and seems to make riding better. The Bontrager gets really good reviews so I will see how it plays out. I am out nothing if it does not work better I can take it back so I am out nothing. I would not have done it otherwise because you can spend a lot on saddles and basically I probably can get use to many over time.
Deacon Mark We're going to need to know what parish you are from
Old 06-05-10, 04:46 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
How about you? E mail me off line should be easy to find.
Old 06-05-10, 05:27 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the SI Flite. Classic Turbo's are awesome also.