Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 08:21 PM

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

I'm looking for something that I can keep lighter weight and just go for 40-50 miles on rail trails a little bit faster on without lugging the extra load. Maybe just add a small frame bag where I could store a spare tube, tools, and a granola bar. But I wouldn't use it nearly as much as the commuter so $350 is a price range I like.

Is this a good bike for that purpose?

And is it really orange? Or does it look different in person? (I'm mildly obsessed with Orange)

I think the orange is loud like a transit worker wearing a safety vest on the side of the road, it is visible in traffic. It weighs 28 lbs 14oz. in size 21, so it's no road race bike. I think it would serve your purpose. I like the frame. I think the frame is worth installing upgraded parts as items break. I have a Sora 2X9 group I may install as an upgrade. The current low end Shimano 3X7 setup is basic. The old parts will be donated to a community thrift shop. It looks like the wheels come with a freewheel, and the V brakes are adequate.
Old 08-23-18, 03:30 PM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Put the chain (now using wax based lubes ONLY) back on the cleaned up Roam-2 and polished the frame a bit. It's now ready for serious action. Unfortunately, I am not.
Old 08-24-18, 11:10 AM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I'm looking for something that I can keep lighter weight and just go for 40-50 miles on rail trails a little bit faster on without lugging the extra load. Maybe just add a small frame bag where I could store a spare tube, tools, and a granola bar. But I wouldn't use it nearly as much as the commuter so $350 is a price range I like.
Something like a 1990s Trek MultiTrack would be perfect for this. Here's a 730 on the Washington DC Craigslist right now:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...679641506.html

I have no affiliation with the seller, though I see his stuff online all the time (looks like a typical bike flipper).

I have a similar 750 (1997 model year) and it's remarkably fun to ride. Light weight fully butted chrome-moly frame makes it pretty springy and relatively light weight. It's about 27 pounds on a bathroom scale.
Old 08-24-18, 01:17 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Something like a 1990s Trek MultiTrack would be perfect for this. Here's a 730 on the Washington DC Craigslist right now:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...679641506.html

I have no affiliation with the seller, though I see his stuff online all the time (looks like a typical bike flipper).

I have a similar 750 (1997 model year) and it's remarkably fun to ride. Light weight fully butted chrome-moly frame makes it pretty springy and relatively light weight. It's about 27 pounds on a bathroom scale.
Decent price for a bike like that. Thanks for the tip. I see similar stuff on Craigslist in my area and will keep an eye out.

(Fairfax is a little bit of a hike for me)
Old 08-25-18, 10:48 AM

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Turned my head to look at it as I rolled my road bike out of the garage for a ride, lol.
Old 08-25-18, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
In honor of a new Brooks B17 I cleaned both my 7.4 and my wife's 7.3 along with waxing the chains.
Took the saddle on a 10 mile trial and I love it already.
Old 08-25-18, 06:53 PM
Interocitor Command

Yesterday I finished up a top-to-bottom tear down and restore project on a near-mint 2012 Sirrus Elite I bought used last Fall. I did most of the work last fall and let the project sit in a spare bedroom until I felt like working on it again, which has been the last couple of weeks. Yesterday all I had to do was install the brake pads, adjust V-brakes, adjust steerer tube assembly & line up handlebars, put the rear cassette on, adjust the saddle height, true the wheels and put the clean, freshly lubed chain on.

I rode it down the street and back a couple of times and it feels great! It may replace my Roam-2 as my "go to" bike.

Today I pumped up the tires on my 2004 Raleigh Supercourse, trued the rear wheel and lubed the chain. Now it's ready to see some pavement.
Old 08-26-18, 08:41 AM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Took a trip to baltimore

past the imfamous trash wheel.
Old 08-29-18, 06:24 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
An update to my FX 7.4 I added a Wahoo Bolt. I also changed the Blendr Mount to fit a mount I got mount from Shapeways (after reading about them here on BF)
Put it a little further out front (about 1.5 inches) then the Wahoo mount but frees up handle bar real estate. Trying to decide if I like it or the original mount better.

Old 08-31-18, 03:31 PM
Interocitor Command

Just bought my babies another set of wheels. Totally free shipping plus 15% off.

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...t-sr-rl29-base
Old 08-31-18, 03:58 PM

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just slapped some Shimano PD-M530 pedals on her...and last week installed a Bontrager DuoTrap-S. Haven't fallen over yet, but pedals take a little getting used to. I can always get the right foot locked in without even thinking about it, but the left foot just doesn't want to find the lock. Anyway, I'll get it down within a few more rides.
Old 08-31-18, 04:54 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Remember when you had to learn to ride a bike? Now you do it without thinking. Some thing give it time.
Old 08-31-18, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Remember when you had to learn to ride a bike? Now you do it without thinking. Some thing give it time.
Indeed...just a matter of getting the reps. But they make a world of difference in the feel of the bike.
Old 09-03-18, 02:40 AM

Bikes: Ridgeback Rapide Motion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short story - replaced the bottom bracket. Found the exact make and model VP-BC73 68 x 122.5.
Long story - A creaking noise when pedaling made me inspect the bottom bracket. Held both pedals and pushed on one side and there was the creaking sound. This was the first time I was working on the bottom bracket. I had a tool kit and I found a crank puller. I screwed it on, and started tightening the driver. Even after pushing with a lot of force, it wouldn't loosen the cranks. I literally stood on it and damaged the threads on the crank. I didn't notice the driver had a cap on which are used for some other type of cranks. The crank still had a few threads remaining, so I was able to get it off and replace the bottom bracket. I am still using the old crank, but looking to upgrade it now thats it damaged
Old 09-03-18, 06:35 PM
Interocitor Command

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by raja_mastana
Short story - replaced the bottom bracket. Found the exact make and model VP-BC73 68 x 122.5.
Long story - A creaking noise when pedaling made me inspect the bottom bracket. Held both pedals and pushed on one side and there was the creaking sound. This was the first time I was working on the bottom bracket. I had a tool kit and I found a crank puller. I screwed it on, and started tightening the driver. Even after pushing with a lot of force, it wouldn't loosen the cranks. I literally stood on it and damaged the threads on the crank. I didn't notice the driver had a cap on which are used for some other type of cranks. The crank still had a few threads remaining, so I was able to get it off and replace the bottom bracket. I am still using the old crank, but looking to upgrade it now thats it damaged
If you are going to replace/upgrade the crankset, this would have been the perfect time to modernize your bottom bracket too.
Old 09-04-18, 02:28 AM

Bikes: Ridgeback Rapide Motion

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
If you are going to replace/upgrade the crankset, this would have been the perfect time to modernize your bottom bracket too.
I think I missed the boat there. But the replaced threaded sealed bottom bracket is smooth and play-free. There is no creaking now.
Do the modern bottom brackets offer any significant upgrade?
Old 09-05-18, 06:25 PM

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Modern BB conversion is in my future as well. That way I can finally play with the new Shimano 105 crankset.
Old 09-06-18, 12:16 PM

I actually got this awhile ago
Finally spent some coin on my hybrid! This clamp on will allow me to use the bottom pull Shimano 105 FD with the 105 crankset I plan to install. First I will have to get one of the modern external bearing BB set ups.
Old 09-07-18, 06:26 AM
Interocitor Command

This morning I've been out in the garage cleaning up my hybridized MTB using rags and Simple Green. The chain was cleaned over a month ago, but I just lubed it today. I'll put it back on tomorrow (or maybe later today) once the lube has had a chance to dry. I also need to clean up the wheels/cassette a skosh, wax the frame a smidge and sandpaper the brake pads a tad. Then it'll be ready for reassembly and some fun rides in the cooler Fall weather.

EDIT: Did a little more work on the bike this evening.
  • Waxed the frame using Lucas Slick Mist spray wax
  • Hit the brake pads with sandpaper
  • Cleaned up the cassette and rear wheel
  • Put the chain back on the bike and installed the R. wheel
Still need to clean the F. wheel and put it back on the bike and it'll be all fresh and clean and ready to ride.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 09-07-18 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 06:28 AM
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by raja_mastana
Do the modern bottom brackets offer any significant upgrade?
They don't have as much lateral play as the bearings are closer to the cranks.
Old 09-08-18, 11:02 AM

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 09-11-18, 10:35 PM

Brought it into the inner sanctum where it will be safe from the hurricanes wrath.
Old 09-15-18, 05:29 PM
Interocitor Command

EDIT: Just received the GrandSport EXTRA tire shipment and discovered that the 700x32 size has a wire bead, however, the other sizes are foldable. All sizes of the GrandSport RACE tires are foldable.

Just bought some new 700x32 tires and tubes for my babies.

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...nd-sport-extra

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 09-25-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 07:20 PM

^^^ SWEET! Had not seen those tires in the CONTI line up. The Gators work well around here.

For mine, another saddle to try. This one a Selle Italia model. Old, suede and Uber comfy. Pic on the other computer at the moment, sorry.
Old 09-24-18, 07:41 PM
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
^^^ SWEET! Had not seen those tires in the CONTI line up. The Gators work well around here.
I'm currently running a set of 700x32 GrandSport RACE tires on my Sirrus Elite and absolutely love them.

Last Fall I was looking for a set of road tires (not touring tires and not anything with marathon in the name) that were reasonably light, foldable, had a bit of flat protection, would pump up to 100 PSI and measured 32mm wide. I was becoming disappointed as most road tires stop at 700x28. Then I stumbled across the GrandSport Race and GrandSport Extra, which do go up to 32mm, did some research and bought a set. Plenty of grip in dry conditions, which is fine as I don't ride in the rain. The set of GS Race I have on the Sirrus actually measure closer to 34mm wide at 100 PSI, which is fine.

The four I just bought are the Extras, which are a bit heavier, but have an extra NyTech belt around them for added flat protection. I had a 12% off coupon from ProBikeKit so they only cost $22.50 U.S. each. I paid $26 each for the Race version, which typically cost a few dollars less, last Fall around Black Friday, so to me it was a no brainer.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 09-24-18 at 07:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.