Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First paycheck from the bike shop...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First paycheck from the bike shop...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 06:41 PM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
You'll grow to appreciate some of the modern stuff. You can't compare it too closely to vintage stuff, it's just too different. My favourite part of working in a shop (aside from the discounts) is a good sale. I don't mean squeezing every last cent from someone, but rather a brand-new rider buying the right bike for the job and loves it. They get faster and start doing group rides. They want to learn more. That is an experience that few other jobs can offer.
i dont work on the sales floor but i agree, when a bike is sold possibilities abound. As for new bikes, some of the mechanics have newer bikes but the daily riders are mostly vintag. the last new bike i had was an all city space horse. Nice bike but the frameset was all i really liked about it. I may just be too old.
Old 05-04-20, 06:43 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Contraband? I live less than a block from two shops. Probably half-a-dozen more in a 1/4 mile radius. And I don't partake.
Can I come and live in your cellar or attic or something? 😁😉 I should be fine, really, but still adjusting to being on the left coast, where it’s legal. 😎👍😎
Likes For stardognine:
Old 05-04-20, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
....... Besides weinman centerpulls get me to and from work in the rain just fine.
I had Weinmann centerpulls on a Raleigh Gran Sport that I bought new and rode for 14 years. Pretty basic sort of design, but did well for the era. I always figured that those red plastic bushings would crap out after a handful of years, but they survived intact!
I've currently got a '74 Raleigh International that also sports the Weinmann centerpulls. After 46 years, you might think that some cheap red plastic bushings would be dried up and brittle. Perhaps some do, but the ones on the International are fine.
I did just put a bit of grease on the bushings to get rid of some friction. They seem fine.
A side benefit is that the unanodized aluminum polishes up quite nicely!

After the Gran Sport, my next bike had the new Shimano Ultegra (aka "tri-color") single pivot side pulls. With the ball bearing pivots and the teflon lined housings and SLR levers... that was a big improvement! Still have that bike and those brakes, and they are still great. But the Weinmanns on the International are fine too.

Steve in Peoria (thinking that wrenching on bikes might be a nice alternative to sheltering in place....)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-05-20, 06:37 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I had Weinmann centerpulls on a Raleigh Gran Sport that I bought new and rode for 14 years. Pretty basic sort of design, but did well for the era. I always figured that those red plastic bushings would crap out after a handful of years, but they survived intact!
I've currently got a '74 Raleigh International that also sports the Weinmann centerpulls. After 46 years, you might think that some cheap red plastic bushings would be dried up and brittle. Perhaps some do, but the ones on the International are fine.
I did just put a bit of grease on the bushings to get rid of some friction. They seem fine.
A side benefit is that the unanodized aluminum polishes up quite nicely!

After the Gran Sport, my next bike had the new Shimano Ultegra (aka "tri-color") single pivot side pulls. With the ball bearing pivots and the teflon lined housings and SLR levers... that was a big improvement! Still have that bike and those brakes, and they are still great. But the Weinmanns on the International are fine too.

Steve in Peoria (thinking that wrenching on bikes might be a nice alternative to sheltering in place....)
i have cantis on my other two riders but honestly the speeds i travel dont require huge brakes. Touring i need something pretty serious but the cantis get it done.
Likes For 52telecaster: