Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a Crankset-Based Power Meter These Days

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying a Crankset-Based Power Meter These Days

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 10:53 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Very nice. Thats a Trömner, no?

Do you have a rumpled blazer, a food-stained tie, cheap shoes, and no social skills like me?
Heavens, no.
I'm too pretty to be a neurologist.

I'm a resident and ties tend to be seen as a choking hazard in my brain field!
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 11-28-20, 08:00 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 361 Posts
My single sided 4iiii crank failed this summer. It was 3 years and 4 months old, just out of warranty. I assumed either Clever Training where I bought it or 4iiii would cut me a break, with a discounted replacement. Nope.
With covid slowdowns, it took 30 days for them to tell me. Each one just kept referring me to the other party, kind of implying they would help me out. Grrrr. I'm very disappointed with their customer service. Just tell me, don't leave me hanging.

For my needs, a single sided crank meter is fine, for:
Pacing while riding -- a power meter is extremely helpful to me on climbs that I'm trying to do as fast as possible, and other general pacing while riding.
I also look at the ride statistics afterward, and it's interesting to check the season's trends with Golden Cheetah.
I haven't gotten around to replacing it, since my riding this year has been at more of an easier pace. I want to get the single sided Stages this time.
Old 11-28-20, 08:10 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
My single sided 4iiii crank failed this summer. It was 3 years and 4 months old, just out of warranty.
Bummer.
3 year warranty is pretty good! I've never had a power meter with a warranty over 2 years (and I'm on my 6th at this point).

I know my pos Garmin only had a 1 year warranty when it straight died at 1 year, 1 month! ugh.
Old 11-29-20, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Since this thread got revisited, I thought I'd share a couple of things.
FWIW, I did end up getting the P2M NG based on recommendations from this thread and I gotta say, it's great. No issues and it is consistent (and from what I can tell) accurate. I've used Garmin V3, Assioma Duo's, and a Tacx Neo 2T AFA PMs go.

In regards to single side vs. dual side (and vs. total power), I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents (with the understanding that I've only been at this for a year). For some reason, I seem to have an unnatural (and probably unhealthy) obsession with PMs. I do pay an ear to when RChung speaks up and watch way too many YouTube reviews.
With that in mind, the reason I've pursued a PM that works for me is more for injury prevention than performance (although I'd like to improve performance, injury prevention is the priority right now). Specifically overuse injury (in my case, it's my right knee).
I think sometimes when comparing SS vs. DS PMs, we neglect the accuracy of the total power reading (sometimes this doesn't matter and other times it does).
As an example, when I first got my V3 duos, I noticed that I had a L/R imbalance of 5%. In this case, you take the 5% on a single side and double it and you get a difference of 10%.
Acknowledging the fact that PMs manufacturers strive for a 1 to 2% accuracy level, this might be significant depending on your use case (especially if your FTP was tested on something like a Tacx where it is the total #).

The was some discussion regarding what you can/should even do when there is an imbalance. I agree with most of you that if nothing is wrong, nothing needs to be done.
In my case, after dealing with some pretty severe knee problems, I went back to the bike fitter. The seat pressure analysis showed that I was putting more weight on one side. A couple of changes later (knee tracking change being one of them), the L/R imbalance was reduced to 1 to 2% (a "normal" range). This took some effort on my end to maintain the new form initially, and I could gauge my effort based on my L/R imbalance reading at the end of a ride. This did help my knee and I was able to continue cycling. It must be noted that I also incorporated some physical therapy to help flexibility and muscle imbalances. I used TSS to manage the overtraining. I'm nowhere near what I'd like to be in terms of mileage and FTP, but at least I can still ride.

In regards to Platform Center Offset readings, I also found these to be useful in tracking my knee action. Prior to the form changes, my PCO was + 3 to 6 mm (the number is not important; but it can and does show changes). In this case my knee was tracking out.

Initially it took a very conscious effort to change the knee action to where it tracks inside (past center). But I could gauge my efforts by watching the PCO.

Again, the number is not important as compared to the difference. My knee does a lot better when I put pressure on the inside. It's just that as I get tired and stop paying attention, it can drift back.
Anyway, I'm not really trying to argue with anyone; I just wanted to share my experiences.

Last edited by Metallifan33; 11-29-20 at 03:19 PM. Reason: wrong pic attached
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 11-29-20, 02:54 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
No that's really cool, thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll give P2M a try next. That's the full-fat NG, not the eco?
Old 11-29-20, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
No that's really cool, thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll give P2M a try next. That's the full-fat NG, not the eco?
Yeah... it's the NG and not the NG Eco... but I gotta say, the NG ECO is probably good for 95% of what most people would need.
The other thing about P2M I noticed is their customer communication was pretty good. I emailed them a couple of times with questions and they got right back to me.
Old 11-29-20, 03:08 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Not a big difference between NG and NGEco - 1% vs 2%, rechargeable vs coin cell battery, and a few grams. You do have to pay extra for L/R balance and smoothness with the Eco, though, $50 per, IIRC. That's kind of cheesy, but I've never really felt the need or desire to upgrade mine for either of those metrics.
Old 11-29-20, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Not a big difference between NG and NGEco - 1% vs 2%, rechargeable vs coin cell battery, and a few grams. You do have to pay extra for L/R balance and smoothness with the Eco, though, $50 per, IIRC. That's kind of cheesy, but I've never really felt the need or desire to upgrade mine for either of those metrics.
Personally, I'd prefer a replaceable battery like in the NGEco. Rechargeable batteries like in the NG (and Assiomas) will degrade after a couple of years.
It seems like PM technology development has stalled in the last couple of years and maybe there just isn't much they can improve on (except cost). In this case, I'd prefer a replaceable battery as it will theoretically prolong the life of the device (and plugging it in is just awkward)
Old 11-29-20, 03:58 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Personally, I'd prefer a replaceable battery like in the NGEco. Rechargeable batteries like in the NG (and Assiomas) will degrade after a couple of years.
It seems like PM technology development has stalled in the last couple of years and maybe there just isn't much they can improve on (except cost). In this case, I'd prefer a replaceable battery as it will theoretically prolong the life of the device (and plugging it in is just awkward)
The battery lasts a long time in the Eco, too. I think that it usually lasts a little more than a year for me.
Old 11-29-20, 04:35 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Even before then I'd argue the only improvements other than price were usability:

wired -> proprietary wireless -> ant/ bluetooth
send back for battery replacement -> replaceable/ recharchable

Now they behave like other consumer electronics and are offered by a variety of manufacturers. They're a commodity (and being included in groupsets, at least as an option) and I wouldn't expect further meaningful innovation until something completely changes the landscape.
Old 11-29-20, 06:52 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10995 Post(s)
Liked 4,674 Times in 2,148 Posts
I’ve got an original P2Max that eats batteries and they are those weird Renata 2450cn batteries that are hard to find.

Old 11-30-20, 09:30 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10210 Post(s)
Liked 5,915 Times in 3,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I’ve got an original P2Max that eats batteries and they are those weird Renata 2450cn batteries that are hard to find.
You can't use regular supermarket 2450s?
Old 11-30-20, 09:33 AM
• —

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
...something completely changes the landscape.
In-line muscle implants with strain gauges and microdialysis ports. Pre-order today!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-30-20, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,822 Posts
Optional drill/driver attachment point for when the climb gets too tough.
Old 11-30-20, 12:05 PM
Super Modest

You can't use regular supermarket 2450s?
Not really. Renatas are slightly thicker. I think it's only the original that used this goofy battery.

It's irrelevant, anyway. It eats batteries so bad that no one could afford to use it.

Old 11-30-20, 12:55 PM
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
For my needs, a single sided crank meter is fine, for:
Pacing while riding -- a power meter is extremely helpful to me on climbs that I'm trying to do as fast as possible, and other general pacing while riding.
I also look at the ride statistics afterward, and it's interesting to check the season's trends with Golden Cheetah.
I haven't gotten around to replacing it, since my riding this year has been at more of an easier pace. I want to get the single sided Stages this time.
That's exactly what I use a single sided Stages for. It can be hard to tell how hard I'm working, especially when my legs are fresh on that first climb. 250W, 350W it all feels the same and I'd rather not wait for fatigue to set in to find out, that's pretty wasteful. For common rides though gear and cadence is a pretty good tool, but it's very easy to just sit in excessively low gears as well.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 11-30-20, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 873 Posts
I picked up a refurbished single sided Stages crank arm PM last year for $130. The only reason I bought it was because it was so cheap. I use it on an older bike that I mostly ride in my basement on a dumb trainer for interval training, and occasional rides outside when the weather is bad. It works fine, I've had zero issues with it and never really think about it. If it's inaccurate, I wouldn't ever know because I have no other power meter numbers to compare it to.

I've wanted to get a second one for my main bike, but the prices are a bit much to justify. I'll also probably get a smart trainer at some point. I suppose when I have multiple power meters, I'll start to care about the accuracy more.
Old 11-30-20, 01:59 PM
• —

Not really. Renatas are slightly thicker. I think it's only the original that used this goofy battery.

It's irrelevant, anyway. It eats batteries so bad that no one could afford to use it.
Huh...

I recently pulled the spent batteries that power the compass light in a set of Steiner marine binoculars and noticed they were Renatas. I wonder if they're "special" too.
Old 11-30-20, 05:51 PM
Super Modest

Huh...

I recently pulled the spent batteries that power the compass light in a set of Steiner marine binoculars and noticed they were Renatas. I wonder if they're "special" too.
From the P2M Classic manual:

"10.4 Life of battery The battery can measure performance for about 400 hours. Use no other than the battery type CR2450N by RENATA as replacement. Batteries from other manufacturers are often not compatible with the battery holders in the battery compartment."

Bold added by me.

Old 11-30-20, 06:03 PM
• —

From the P2M Classic manual:

"10.4 Life of battery The battery can measure performance for about 400 hours. Use no other than the battery type CR2450N by RENATA as replacement. Batteries from other manufacturers are often not compatible with the battery holders in the battery compartment."

Bold added by me.
Krauts
Old 11-30-20, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 691 Posts

At most I would replace batteries twice a year which would work out to about 8,000 km. Not sure if you would consider that eating batteries. I used a standard CR2450 once without a issue before I found the miracle of Amazon. I took their upgrade deal a couple of years ago and now use the ng which works great.
Old 12-01-20, 07:17 AM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
At most I would replace batteries twice a year which would work out to about 8,000 km. Not sure if you would consider that eating batteries. I used a standard CR2450 once without a issue before I found the miracle of Amazon. I took their upgrade deal a couple of years ago and now use the ng which works great.
Yes, mine went bad over time somehow. It originally could go ~1k miles but it decreased to about a 100 miles. I contacted P2M and they had no idea why it would do that and decided that my battery source (from a seller on Amazon) was probably selling old batteries so I bought batteries from another source but usage was the same. After a multitude of batteries, I gave up and shelved it. No problem since I have no bikes to use it anymore, anyway.

I put it in the marketplace.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 12-01-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-01-20, 11:40 AM
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 518 Posts
I do pay an ear to when RChung speaks up
My condolences, you'll never get that part of your life back. Even I don't listen to most of the things I say. Sorry.
Likes For RChung:
Old 12-01-20, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3994 Post(s)
Liked 7,460 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
My condolences, you'll never get that part of your life back. Even I don't listen to most of the things I say. Sorry.
Maybe off topic, but will noise cancelling headphones get rid of the voices in my head?
Old 12-01-20, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Maybe off topic, but will noise cancelling headphones get rid of the voices in my head?
Let's not get into the earphones argument again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.