Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Season is Just Beginning

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read a lot about the cycling season being over, and people getting their winter bikes.

Well, I'm here to say that here in North Texas the season is Just Beginning. The temperature has dropped below 90,a north wind is blowing, and i can ride without worrying about heatstroke!

Some say winter is their off season. For me the off season is summer, and the real season has just started.

Old 09-30-16, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm in the lower Great Lakes. I go all year. "The Season" is purely psychological - unless the climate is so extreme it becomes a question of physical safety, like heatstroke in Texas - with the level of hardware and gear available, anyone can go year-round virtually anywhere - check out the guys from Alaska on Winter Cycling.

You just have to be willing to adapt, experiment, and find what works for you. In my own case, because I've had iron deficiency anemia for years and am always cold, winter sports of all kinds - I also cross country ski, snowshoe, and even run - mean learning how to keep warm and dry enough at the same time to be comfortable. For me, technology has really helped, including battery heated clothing, boots, and gloves.

I long thought that the prime season in the warmest parts of the US - the coastal plain from NC to Texas, the desert Southwest, and Cali - would basically be October through March/April. So, Happy Cycling !
Old 09-30-16, 09:23 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Any cycling below 60 degrees is not fit for man or beast. The only way to ride is in a t-shirt and shorts.
Old 09-30-16, 09:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24

I long thought that the prime season in the warmest parts of the US - the coastal plain from NC to Texas, the desert Southwest, and Cali - would basically be October through March/April. So, Happy Cycling !
Yep, that's about right! Though normally we can start in mid-September and end in about May, at least where I am.

That's not to say no one rides in the summer; it is just requires a lot more planning and adaptation. Not to mention it is Supremely Unpleasant.
Old 09-30-16, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Any cycling below 60 degrees is not fit for man or beast. The only way to ride is in a t-shirt and shorts.
I'd almost say the opposite! Maybe above 80 though.
Old 09-30-16, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
All I can say is the weather this past week has been nice & cool, clear skies, not too windy, and perfect cycling weather.

...and I've been stuck at work.

Well, I did do my usual morning rides, but that doesn't seem to count. Riding around town is not the same as getting out on the road and riding 40 miles.
Old 09-30-16, 09:30 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You haven't lived until you've been out at 6 am in a 15 mph wind, air temp of 12 degrees, with lake effect snow squalls and a windchill of something like -10 and done 25 miles on a fat bike - with a stop at Bigby Coffee for a hot chocolate! Some of my most memorable rides have been in wretched conditions.
Old 09-30-16, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Early in my running career somebody told me that, if you never took a season off, the weather never got too bad to run. If you took some time off, however, it got hard to start back up in cold weather. I was able to follow that advice for a few years running in both hot weather and cold. (We have both in Missouri.)

I've never seriously tried following that advice bicycling. Just this morning I was pondering how I was going to keep up my activity points this winter. I'm riding a trike now so ice shouldn't be a problem. Maybe this will be the year that I keep riding through the winter. I'll need to figure out what clothes to wear.
Old 09-30-16, 09:45 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Yup, Texas in autumn is perfect cycling weather. Enjoying more long rides now. Late August wasn't bad either, although the hotter months were an interesting challenge to test my conditioning with some midday rides.
Old 09-30-16, 09:48 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Retro Grouch - you should try it. I would think the stability factor of a trike is very high, so that's a plus. And someone out there probably makes studded tires that will fit. Clothing isn't really that hard to figure out - start out with winter athletic gear you already own that meets the basic requiements - warm, won't trap moisture, and moves easily in the critical places - then experiment and see what works.

It takes some trial and error - believe me, I've had many rides - all year 'round - when I've either removed clothing and stuffed it in my backpack or into a trunk bag, or when I've made a stop at some 24 hour big box and bought another layer because I planned wrong - or the weather changed in a way I hadn't anticipated. If you're 55 miles from home and freezing, whatever you can buy at Wal-mart at 4 AM to warm you up is a godsend.
Old 09-30-16, 11:10 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here in s. Texas, I rode solid through the summer - averaged over 100 mi/wk, and my best week was 155.
Just had our first fall morning. I was out at 54 degrees this morning, layers, knickers and a windbreaker.
And yes, it will be like this all winter, and we're going to get stronger every week.
Old 09-30-16, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You haven't lived until you've been out at 6 am in a 15 mph wind, air temp of 12 degrees, with lake effect snow squalls and a windchill of something like -10 and done 25 miles on a fat bike - with a stop at Bigby Coffee for a hot chocolate! Some of my most memorable rides have been in wretched conditions.
Best moment riding was the first week of January a few years back; was riding in a park and the temperature was 2 degrees fahrenheit and I passed a guy jogging wearing a wife-beater t-shirt and 1980s gym shorts with the stripe on the outline, probably in his 50s. I was the only cyclist, and he was one of two joggers that I saw - I was quite impressed with his being out there, and wearing what he was, a truly committed athete.

As long as the ground is not icy/wet, I will ride - you can dress for low temperatures, and one of the best things about it is that the bike paths are far less crowded in the colder months.
Old 09-30-16, 11:28 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I wear short sleeves and shorts when it is in the 50s

But seriously, given the choice of one or the other, I'd much rather ride sub-60 than above-60.
Old 09-30-16, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
The problem with winter is, there's a lot less daylight. Around here, they'll kill you for riding in the dark -- lights or no. It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card for the motorist.
Old 09-30-16, 11:50 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
There are the Migratory retirees descending on the southern border states, as we speak, and others who manage,
to Own More than 1 house. they alternate between seasonally..

One of my good friends retired from the Austin TX FD.
He comes up and wrenches in the LBS during the Busy Summer season, here.

He headed south, again in the Recent weeks, Motor home with his bike tools aboard. .

./.
Old 09-30-16, 12:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Texas Riviera

Old 09-30-16, 12:19 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prtyich
Best moment riding was the first week of January a few years back; was riding in a park and the temperature was 2 degrees fahrenheit and I passed a guy jogging ...

... you can dress for low temperatures ....
I've run in weather like that, but I'm heavily layered. It's all in what you're comfortable in.
Old 09-30-16, 12:21 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very pretty, bulldog1935. Photoshop out the palms and replace them with maples or oaks and it could be anywhere on the Great Lakes.
Old 09-30-16, 12:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've been there in January - there's ice.
Old 09-30-16, 01:12 PM

Retro Grouch - you should try it. I would think the stability factor of a trike is very high, so that's a plus. And someone out there probably makes studded tires that will fit. Clothing isn't really that hard to figure out - start out with winter athletic gear you already own that meets the basic requiements - warm, won't trap moisture, and moves easily in the critical places - then experiment and see what works.
Yeah, I'm thinking this might be the winter to try that.

Shoes and legwear are the big things for me to think about. Actually, the shoes issue isn't too bad. I might even switch over to platform pedals so that I can use my winter boots. I've had difficulty finding legwear that's warm yet doesn't snag on my chainring.
Old 09-30-16, 01:17 PM

I've run in weather like that, but I'm heavily layered. It's all in what you're comfortable in.
While training for a spring marathon I've done some 10 mile runs in the Chicago area in temperatures down to -30. The trick, believe it or not, is to wear a jock.
Old 09-30-16, 01:41 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Shoes and legwear are the big things for me to think about. Actually, the shoes issue isn't too bad. I might even switch over to platform pedals so that I can use my winter boots. I've had difficulty finding legwear that's warm yet doesn't snag on my chainring.
Look at cross country skiing type clothes to prevent the pant legs from being snagged, or if you are wearing boots tuck the pants in.

I'm looking at some winter cycling boots myself, so dang expensive!Then again my cycling shoes were not cheap either.
Old 09-30-16, 01:42 PM
hermit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 'hot metabolism' person - I wear shorts and t-shirt to mtb as long as it's above freezing. Once it gets below 30 I add a nylon shell and possibly polypro longjohns (if it's below 20 degrees).

But in temps below 50 degrees I alway carry an emergency layer of warm polypro in my pack, in case I break another leg or something. Don't want to die of hypothermia if I have to lay on the ground waiting for rescue.

Steve Z
Old 09-30-16, 01:58 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
While training for a spring marathon I've done some 10 mile runs in the Chicago area in temperatures down to -30. The trick, believe it or not, is to wear a jock.
Makes sense from a physiological standpoint. Probably TMI, but I just wear the modern-day equivalent, compression shorts.
Old 09-30-16, 02:07 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I wouldn't ride clipped in in the winter - just too much potential there for problems. I basically ride almost exclusively in "repurposed" non-cycling winter boots. My favorite ones have been high-top hikers from Salomon with the elastic lacing system - no dangling laces to snag in the chain. Really cold is my Columbia heated boots, or battery heated insoles in regular boots.

For legwear, unless again really cold, 0 or below "real-feel" temperature, I still wear baggy Mt Bike type shorts with cycling liner over a thermal base layer - my favorite to date is Under Armour base 4.0, second favorite is Columbia Omniheat baselayer. Below Zero, I wear Columbia ski pants. Never had any issues with anything snagging except for some billowy nylon shell cheap track pants I wore in moderate cold a few times - until I learned better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.