Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lightweight Rim for 40mm Gravel Tire?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lightweight Rim for 40mm Gravel Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i have roval terra clx on my gravel-ish setup, very light, 25mm internal width. made for gravel. unlike the zipps they are hooked. i've run 32 and 42mm on them. they also have a wider version but shouldn't be needed for 40mm...
Those look nice! I like the low-key logo. How noisy are the hubs?
Old 07-11-22, 08:50 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFort
Those look nice! I like the low-key logo. How noisy are the hubs?
they're pretty quiet - much quieter than my other wheels and certainly than the swarm of bees stuff. but not totally silent.
Old 07-12-22, 01:01 AM

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
For touring I'd prefer shallow rims. The aero benefit of deep rims at touring speeds will be minimal, but fighting cross-winds with deep rims might be energy-draining.
I agree with you on the aero benefits for bike avg 12 mph would be minimal.

I have lightbicycle 46 deep. I have never notice an issue with crosswinds except at high speed. Like going down hill at 30+ mph, cars on the left of you then get hit with gust of wind while you try and stay in your lane and not get run over. That's not fun.
At 10 mph or just putzing around I don't notice the deep wheels at all or it's just so easy to control and not scary that I don't give it a 2nd thought.
Old 07-13-22, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=270553

https://r2-bike.com/DUKE-Rim-29-Luck...inium-32-Holes

Recently had the 28hole rim built up. Wanted a fairly light and shallow rim -ok internal width- hoping the overall wheel stiffness wouldn't be too harsh.
Wheelbuilder used Revolution spokes for me. Pretty happy with the results.

Duke also has a shallower-depth 26mm-internal carbon rim that is pretty light. Very expensive though.
Old 07-14-22, 04:21 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I'm still looking around! Can't quite find what I'm looking for...all the rims seem to have garish logos on them. Does any manufacturer besides Hunt have a nice minimalist logo that isn't an eyesore? It seems impossible to find a rim that's lightweight and not garish. I wish cycling would move away from the garish thing. The Hunt wheels I did try, and they are the noisiest rim I ever rode, so I had to return them. I guess I don't like good pawl engagement. I ride at night a lot, and the noise really sucks when you're out for peace and quiet.

I'm looking for:

1. Lightweight
2. Minimal to zero noise
3. Not garish looking logo

I might be looking for a unicorn!
Thanks
Without the huge OEM graffiti, how else will the average thief know it's value for the taking?

If you're upto spending some additional money & time, you could buy some aftermarket no name brand that there logos can be peeled off of. The extra money part comes in IF you are not satisfied with whatever hubs they come with... Every aftermarket brand mimics the loud buzz hub & sometimes has a weird bearing/TA dia. I have a set right now that I've been meaning to rehub for the Domane SL5 (& 6) , but haven't done much research for a quiet quality rear hub.

Last edited by Troul; 07-14-22 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the inconvenience

Last edited by OmenGregg; 08-04-22 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 08:11 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I'm still looking around! Can't quite find what I'm looking for...all the rims seem to have garish logos on them.
I'm looking for:

1. Lightweight
2. Minimal to zero noise
3. Not garish looking logo

I might be looking for a unicorn!
Thanks
Take a look at the Spinergy GX, a sub-1500g, 24mm IW wheelset on a comparatively quiet-freewheeling hub. The fiber spokes probably don’t conduct ratchet noise from the hub out to the rim like steel spokes do, and the shallow 24mm rim depth probably isn’t the resonance chamber that a deep, CF rim is.

If you spec the black spoke option when ordering, not only does the accent spoke color change to black, but the Spinergy logo changes from white to grey-outlined, black lettering. Rim finish is matte black. Definitely not garish.

I’ve run the previous version of this wheelset— different hubs— for two years on my gravel bike and have been very happy with the feel, performance, reliability and looks.
Old 07-19-22, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
RE: garish logos

I have some of the rims mentioned here, a couple I mentioned myself. All are very subdued in terms of logos. The Raceface ARC logos are almost invisible gray on black. Both the Boyd Altamont and CCC have mostly black on black graphics which are invisible, with only a minimal white "Altamont" or "CCC". Plus all of these decals can be easily removed with a hair dryer.

My Raceface have DTSwiss 240 hubs which have a fairly normal ratchet sound, as do the Boyd hubs on both Boyd wheel versions. Neither are silent.

You can look up the wheelset weight for the Boyd wheels on their website, they're accurate. I believe sub-1500 gram for both versions. The ARC's with the DTSwiss hubs are a bit heavier. I weighed them, but can't remember, I think around 1550.

Finally, to find your particular ideal wheelset, I agree with the suggestion to give Prowheelbuilder.com a call. You can get an accurate wheel build weight estimate by going through their ordering process building a prospective wheels with hubs, spokes and rims, but to find the quiet hub you might call them as I don't believe hub specs give a noise rating. They are a great company with - in my experience - accurate lead times and good customer service.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-19-22 at 09:58 PM.