Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Anyone using 700cX40 tires?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Anyone using 700cX40 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
I have Vittoria Rando Hyper 32c on my 700c.

Nice tire.

https://reviews.wiggle.co.uk/7867-en_...ws/reviews.htm

The basic Vittoria Randonneur (28c or 32c) is a little cheaper and is about as cheap as I'd go, personally.
Which is to say I like the tire a lot.

Also...

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-ran...ing-city-tyre/

Last edited by late; 06-23-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 02:49 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I have Vittoria Rando Hyper 32c on my 700c.

Nice tire.

https://reviews.wiggle.co.uk/7867-en_...ws/reviews.htm

The basic Vittoria Randonneur (28c or 32c) is a little cheaper and is about as cheap as I'd go, personally.
Which is to say I like the tire a lot.

Also...

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-ran...ing-city-tyre/
Now I liked my 32C. The bike was very comfortable with them but my 32s had a very aggressive tread which slowed them down. I expect with all that tread that the tire was heavy too. I just looked at your tires on-line and they look like they would be a perfect compromise; the comfort of a 32 and the lesser roll resistance of a slick. I went from 32c with heavy tread to a 28c with very modest tread. MUCH faster but not as comfortable. Your tires look perfect for a city bike.
Mr Panaracer tires weight 280 grams. How much do those 32s weigh? What's the MAX psi?
Old 06-23-12, 02:56 PM
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
Originally Posted by Igo
That's what I said.
It is not. It is entirely possible to get big light weight tires and heavy small tires.

My 42mm tires weigh about 450g (manufacturer claimed) and there are 32mm tires out there that weigh 600-700g. In this type of scenario, it's entirely possible the 42mm tires can feel quicker because of less inertia.
It has been covered many times, including recently in the road forum. Inertia is crap on bicycles, totally irrelevant. Weight matters. Rolling resistance matters a lot. Aerodynamics matter too, especially as you go beyond 15 mph, if you ever do that on a commuter. (I do.)

However you did say something correct. I have a set of 700x32 tires that weigh more than more 29x2 tires: Conti Cyclocross Plus. Weight usually corresponds to width, but tire models vary a lot.
Old 06-24-12, 08:00 AM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
It has been covered many times, including recently in the road forum. Inertia is crap on bicycles, totally irrelevant. Weight matters. Rolling resistance matters a lot. Aerodynamics matter too, especially as you go beyond 15 mph, if you ever do that on a commuter. (I do.)

However you did say something correct. I have a set of 700x32 tires that weigh more than more 29x2 tires: Conti Cyclocross Plus. Weight usually corresponds to width, but tire models vary a lot.
In my original statement I believe I covered small patch, smoother tread, smaller tire and higher air pressure. I should have also mentioned weight but I thought that was implied. I don't know why it is ever debated. What makes a wheel roll better is not only a matter of physical properties but knowing it is a matter of common sense.

Here's a recent review I did for a new set of tires:

>It's all about roll resistance. I was riding road bikes to work with no dirt involved. Then on weekends I was riding a 35 mile paved national recreation trail that went way out in the desert. Over time I ended up with with lights, racks and panniers on my otherwise sleek road bike. It became a really quick commuter but a really clunky racer. That bike was stolen. I replaced it with two bikes, an even sleeker racey road bike and a sturdy, duty oriented hybrid commuter. Now I zip along the 35 mile route in a few hours on the stripped down road bike and I have a truck-bike for hauling clothes and lunches back and forth to work. That "truck" bike is the Giant Escape 1. As I refined my route to work it ended up that I had a 450 foot elevation climb in 5 of 7 miles but only 100 yards of hard pack dirt in the route off of asphalt. Since I can't wear traditional bike shorts to work I put a softer aftermarket seat on the Escape/commuter. What the fat 60 psi tires did for comfort is now the seat's job.
Not having to give great consideration to "all terrain tires" because the great majority of my ride was asphalt and in good condition, I started looking at what would be the appropriate tire for smooth asphalt and a 450 foot climb without giving up the "truck" capabilities of the hybrid/commuter bike. I'd rather go more miles or make better time than get all my exercise by overcoming mechanical resistance that was part of the OEM tire design. Three things had to be considered. Heavy tread is much like rough pavement, it had to be smoothed out. I wanted a tire that had some girth to it for puncture resistance and weight carrying capability but had to be smooth enough to level out the road contact patch under the tire. I wanted less patch on the ground to further reduce roll resistance and along with smoothing out the tread you reduce patch by using a narrower tire with higher air pressure. You also speed a bike up by throwing less centrifugal force so the Panaracer tires had 4 things going for them. Immediately I improved my time to work as by GPS my average speed increased by 1.5 mph (I always ride slow to work; went from about 7 mph to 8.5 mph) by riding the same cadence but in one and 2 higher gears. Switching from a 60psi 32c tire to a 105 psi 28c tire increased the efficiency of the bike by great leaps. Smoother tread, less weight, smaller patch and less flex = MUCH less roll resistance and increased responsiveness. If you are not going to ride in the dirt and you think you can be comfortable on a stiffer tire then get rid of the roll resistance that is a byproduct of the design of dirt oriented tires.

Last edited by Igo; 06-24-12 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL

Just to be difficult, weight and inertia go hand in hand. The more weight towards the outer part of the wheel "rim, tire" the more inertia thus meaning more effort to make a wheel spin.
Old 06-24-12, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Igo

Now I liked my 32C. The bike was very comfortable with them but my 32s had a very aggressive tread which slowed them down. I expect with all that tread that the tire was heavy too. I just looked at your tires on-line and they look like they would be a perfect compromise; the comfort of a 32 and the lesser roll resistance of a slick. I went from 32c with heavy tread to a 28c with very modest tread. MUCH faster but not as comfortable. Your tires look perfect for a city bike.
Mr Panaracer tires weight 280 grams. How much do those 32s weigh? What's the MAX psi?
Vittoria numbers are usually accurate. Their 32 is a 32, some other company might call their 30 a 32.

The Hyper weighs 350 grams. I checked that with my scale.

Max psi is 90, but seriously, why bother. It's designed to be run at moderate pressures, and works best that way.
Try 7 0 psi if you get them.

I have used a lot of Panaracer tires, these are simply a better (and more expensive) product.

Your thoughts echo what I was thinking when I got them.

Last edited by late; 06-24-12 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-26-12, 04:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike also came with 700c x 40 tires. Even tho they are the cheapo Chinese kind I dont mind them at all on the street or trail. Honestly,I could'nt imagine going any narrower because of the nearby trail I ride on a lot but thats just me.
Old 06-26-12, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Road mostly. Specialized, Fuji, Jamus, KHS

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have 700x40 Michelin Transworld Sports on my Roam. They have a slightly aggressive tread for my idea of a hybrid though it probably comes in handy for many folks. It's what came with the bike - I bought it used. I've only put about 220 miles on them so I can't really comment on durability but I was impressed to find they are only about $20 new.

If I keep the bike, I'll go with something with less tread and a more narrow width. Probably a Specialized Armadillo 700x28. They aren't the fastest, but I've had them (in 700x25) on two road bikes and I've never had a single flat in thousands of miles.
Old 06-29-14, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been riding an '83 Univega Sport I found in mint condition with hi-end components
at an absurdly cheap price. I tacoed the rear 27 1/4 cornering into a pothole and decided
on 700s for a larger choice of tires. I put on Kenda Komfort 700 x 40s since I didn't want
a tire limited to asphalt. The price was quite reasonable and they seemed to have a lot of
meat on 'em for the money. They are heavier than road tires, but I think the extra weight
carries more centrifugal force. I haven't noticed any real loss of speed, and the ride is
far more comfortable than my road tires were. I love these tires. I can't begin to tell you
how many tire switches I've been thru with my 4 bikes. If you're not a racer & want an
affordable all purpose tire, these have more bang for the buck.
Old 06-29-14, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
When I got my hybrid, they had Specialized Armadillo Flak jackets in 35MM.
What SLUGS they were! They made the 26x1.50" on my "grocery getter" seen like race tires.
I couldn't believe how a "street" tread could be such a pig. Heavy to accelerate and I had to work my butt off to maintain speed.

You should be able to go as small as 25-26MM without issue.
The difference will amaze you. Even a 28MM (1.125") will be "fab"!
A 700c x 25 will fit on the same rim as a 700c x 40? If so i need to go smaller!
Old 06-29-14, 01:21 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have the 700x40 Vittoria Randonneur Hyper and it's very fast rolling and smooth riding. This tire is great on routes that are 50% pavement and 50% semi-soft gravel.

I also have the same tire in the 700x32 size, it's just as smooth and the bike feels quicker due to the smaller and lighter tire. If the surface is firm, the smaller tire is better.

I've also used other tires;

700x50 Schwalbe Supreme
700x40 Schwalbe Dureme
700x38 Schwalbe Marathon Cross
700x32 Kendra Happy Medium
700x27 Challenge Parigi-Roubaix

...and many others. Each has a performance advantage under some condition.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-29-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 01:39 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
A 700c x 25 will fit on the same rim as a 700c x 40? If so i need to go smaller!
Yes a 700x25 will fit on a 24mms wide rim. Your original equipment bike rim is usually not wider than this on a hybrid.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-29-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 03:39 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Not sure why you are quoting me to make some assumption like this-

It might and it might not.
It depends on the rim. I have rims where 25mm tires are getting on the widish side. I wouldn't think about trying a 40mm tire on those.
Old 06-29-14, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Igo
I just went from 60 psi 32c tires to 105 psi 28c tires. The 32c tires may as well have been glued to the forks in comparison. Greatest performance mod you can make IF you are strictly riding in the street. Tread pattern being the same, the laws of physics dictate that you WILL be a difference.
That's my experience as well going from 35C to 28C. Big improvement - wish I had done it sooner. Bike is quicker and handles better. And the 28C rubber handles the crushed gravel paths that make up the majority of my "off road" riding just fine.
Old 06-30-14, 04:21 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe,maybe not. Not all wheels have the same width rims. Check your rim for markings or a stick that says something like "622xNN",with NN being the rim width. Compare that to this chart to see what will safely fit.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-30-14, 05:55 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had 700x55mm then swapped for 35c, big difference.
Old 06-30-14, 06:01 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Getting back to the original question - yes, but I ride a mix of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, a 35 on the front for better handling and quicker steering, and a 40 on the back for more comfort and capacity. I love the mix, and I love the tires.
Old 06-30-14, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I have the 700x40 Vittoria Randonneur Hyper and it's very fast rolling and smooth riding. This tire is great on routes that are 50% pavement and 50% semi-soft gravel.

I also have the same tire in the 700x32 size, it's just as smooth and the bike feels quicker due to the smaller and lighter tire. If the surface is firm, the smaller tire is better.
I've got the 32mm Hypers (actuallyl measure 34mm on Dyad rims) on my bike and although I'm really happy with them, I've wondered about the 38mm version. Your post indicates that there is a difference and it makes me inclined to stick with the 32's.

Also, Jan Heine's (anecdotal) research seems to indicate that specific wheel sizes may perform best with specific tire widths. He found that the sweet spot for 700c wheels is around 30mm, 650B is around 38-40mm and 26" is mid-to-upper 40mm range or wider. His team's feelings were that wider 700c tires tended to feel too stable. I wonder if this is part of the reason the 32's feel "sportier" than the 38's? Surely weight has some impact but I don't think the weight difference is that great.
Old 07-01-14, 07:00 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I've got the 32mm Hypers (actuallyl measure 34mm on Dyad rims) on my bike and although I'm really happy with them, I've wondered about the 38mm version. Your post indicates that there is a difference and it makes me inclined to stick with the 32's.

Also, Jan Heine's (anecdotal) research seems to indicate that specific wheel sizes may perform best with specific tire widths. He found that the sweet spot for 700c wheels is around 30mm, 650B is around 38-40mm and 26" is mid-to-upper 40mm range or wider. His team's feelings were that wider 700c tires tended to feel too stable. I wonder if this is part of the reason the 32's feel "sportier" than the 38's? Surely weight has some impact but I don't think the weight difference is that great.
Leave a 32 on the front, and try a38 on the back ---- you might be surprised ---- I was!
Old 07-01-14, 07:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I Toured (97) on 622-40, Nokian is a really long wearing tire ..

2 Swedes did the Al-Can Anchorage Ak, Dawson Ck Yukon etc on a commuter
700-42 Continentals , passed thru here 11/13..
Old 07-01-14, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Leave a 32 on the front, and try a38 on the back ---- you might be surprised ---- I was!
That's a good idea. Best of both worlds!
Old 11-04-19, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I recently put some 700 x 40 Michelin Proteks (smooth tread plain version) on my Rans Alterra. Was running 700 x 32 swalbee marathon supremes. Love the bigger tires. Is it slower, probably, but I really can’t tell. What I can tell is the ride is much smoother. If the marathons were a lot cheaper I’d go with them in the larger size but the Proteks were on sale for around 10 bucks each at bike tires direct.
Old 04-27-20, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’ve got Specialized Pro Triggers 38 on my Tricross Steel. Much nicer than the armadillo tires that came stock. They have little nobs on them but rides really well both on and off pavement. More a gravel bike now.