Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trainer or Rollers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trainer or Rollers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 08:56 AM

Bikes: 19?? Pacific Quasar, 2008 Cannondale Synapse. 2009 Specialized Hard Rock Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Which rollers did you choose? I want a trainer, or another set of rollers, and I'd be interested in knowing about your choice. I used rollers a lot back in the late 70's and early 80's, always felt my balance improved from riding on them, trainers didn't really have anything to offer back then. I owned some Kreitler rollers, very well made and sturdy equipment that always felt smooth. I was warned about the drive belt being a weak point by the friend I purchased them from, but I never had it break on me. Post some pics when you get it going.

Bill
I bought used from local facebook based market. Cycle Ops PVC? I've been on them twice so far for just a few minutes. Have yet to let go of the basement stanchion.
Old 12-14-14, 07:32 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The balance for the rollers will come to you, it took me a few times to get the drill down pat when I first started riding them. I felt that my bicycle handling skills improved when I rode them regularly, right now I need some help with regaining my balance and coordination with the Parkinson's Disease's effects. Not sure if the "helpers" are still available, the Kreitler Roller offered a set of attachments that mounted to the seat stays and made things like the modern trainers. I didn't need them, fortunately.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-14-14, 08:11 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
The balance for the rollers will come to you, it took me a few times to get the drill down pat when I first started riding them. I felt that my bicycle handling skills improved when I rode them regularly, right now I need some help with regaining my balance and coordination with the Parkinson's Disease's effects. Not sure if the "helpers" are still available, the Kreitler Roller offered a set of attachments that mounted to the seat stays and made things like the modern trainers. I didn't need them, fortunately.

Bill
I recommend that you read this study:
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/751998
There are organized groups of tandem riders who captain for those who need to ride as stokers. If you are interested, ask on the Tandem Forum.
Old 12-14-14, 08:31 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Thank you for the link, but I don't need to leave my single right now, I am adjusting really well to the balance and coordination issues that popped up as the PD came on. I do appreciate your taking time to link me to that study and to Medscape, but I am not a medical professional. (and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, either.) I'll certainly keep the stoker idea at hand for the future, too.

I'll back out now, I didn't mean to take over this thread, at all. Everyone's help and support is keeping me going quite well, thankfully!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-14-14 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 07:59 PM

Bikes: 19?? Pacific Quasar, 2008 Cannondale Synapse. 2009 Specialized Hard Rock Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay. I did it. I rode for an extended period (minutes) without touching the wall or basement stanchion. I'm using my Pacific Quasar because on the YouTube video the first thing that a new roller rider does after he/she falls off for the first time is check the bike for damage. I don't care if I damage the Quasar - it's free miles right now as far as I'm concerned. I had platform pedals on it and I couldn't get smooth enough to ride without hanging on to something. I switched to clipless this evening and now I can ride the rollers.
Old 12-15-14, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe because I am a newbie, but what I have not seen in this discussion is that an indoor setup provides an opportunity to use a power meter and cadence, which is not what I want to think about when I am on the road. so to me, the decision is not about rollers or trainer, but how do I get something more with indoor "riding".

oh yes, I prefer to cycle on my snow gravel roads than use a trainer. but I do use a power meter trainer when I am at a hotel gym.

Last edited by raspberryfisher; 12-16-14 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
This may be a stupid question; but this is the internet and I've not used rollers. So, how does one start and stop when using rollers?
I like rollers. I had a good quality fluid trainer, but hated how my bike felt clamped into it.

I'm not the most graceful person so I was a bit nervous about hopping on the first time. Fortunately, I got a few tips from my s/o, who has used rollers before, and then quickly figured out a few other things on my own. Some of those tips have already been mentioned by other posters.

One different thing: I am very short (5'1) and was wondering how I was actually going to get up onto the saddle -- the rollers cause the bike to sit a few inches higher than normal. I saw videos of people just nonchalantly stepping onto the roller frame itself, but I wasn't confident I could do that (in cleats, no less. ) So I put a short one-step-stool next to the left side of the rollers and stand on that to get my right leg over the bike and clipped in. Have to be careful not to put the step stool too close; I don't want to hit it while I'm pedaling should I briefly wander away from the center of the rollers.

I don't use the doorway method; I have my rollers placed in a hallway, and close enough to the right-hand wall that I can throw out an elbow to balance myself if I need to. But I caught on pretty quickly, and only needed to do that, briefly, the first two or three times I rode.

Otherwise, the balancing principles are the same as out on the road; in particular, I found, (i) speed is your friend in terms of stable steering -- as soon as you're settled on the saddle, start pedaling confidently; (ii) don't stare down at your front tire , look farther ahead, as you would naturally do; and (iii) don't overcorrect the steering; if you start to feel wobbly or like you're veering around too much and might fall, keep pedaling, and force yourself to use very minor adjustments on the handlebars. (This I found to be the hardest thing.)

You'll get it! Try not to overthink it; your body already knows how to balance itself on a moving bicycle, don't let your brain talk you out of it.
Old 12-16-14, 10:37 AM
Hardening the F up

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Siena, 29# hard tail Tank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raspberryfisher
maybe because I am a newbie, but what I have not seen in this discussion is that an indoor setup provides an opportunity to use a power meter and cadence, which is not what I want to think about when I am on the road. so to me, the decision is not about rollers or trainer, but how do I get something more with indoor "riding".

oh yes, I prefer to cycle on my snow gravel roads than use a trainer. but I do use a power meter trainer when I am at a hotel gym.
Check out Kinetic inRide Bluetooth Smart Power Meter Accessory In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

I have this on a KK road machine. It's about as good as a stationary trainer is going to get. the inRide app was significantly updated recently and works well (including cadence info, which didn't previously). The power numbers are at least very consistent, and no one who has tested this set up against a direct force powermeter of any sort has complained.

I see things much the same way: outdoors I don't want the distraction (although data recording for later analysis might be interesting). Indoors, it saves me from total boredom. As well, seeing progress is great feedback.
Old 12-16-14, 11:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IF You need to use a Screen to not be bored while Riding indoors.. Dont use Rollers .., There, you have to pay attention so you dont ride off the roller ends.
Old 12-16-14, 02:20 PM

Bikes: 1993 GT Corrado, 1999 Kona Explosif, 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter
Okay. I did it. I rode for an extended period (minutes) without touching the wall or basement stanchion. I'm using my Pacific Quasar because on the YouTube video the first thing that a new roller rider does after he/she falls off for the first time is check the bike for damage. I don't care if I damage the Quasar - it's free miles right now as far as I'm concerned. I had platform pedals on it and I couldn't get smooth enough to ride without hanging on to something. I switched to clipless this evening and now I can ride the rollers.
That's great to hear Jim. Clipless definitely help keep the pedaling smooth and smooth is critical on the rollers.
A good fan helps to or else you'll be sweating all over that Quasar...
Old 12-18-14, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
FWIW. I get extremely bored on rollers even with movies, tv, training CD's, follow-cute-buns CDs, and other attempts at distraction. Several years ago my wife gave me a Tacx and each year she gives me a knew ride movie every few weeks (most are Tacx but some are from 3rd parties). Much better than anything I found for rollers. Also provides good power/HR info. I still prefer riding outside when possible but I just don't get the miles in during winter in MN so the Tacx helps tremendously.
Old 12-18-14, 11:06 PM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
the only way I've been able to combat the "oh God I can't stare at the walls any longer"

Cycling Training Videos: The Sufferfest

TOTALLY worth it
Old 12-19-14, 12:28 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
I don't get bored on rollers. I go just hard enough that after about an hour and a half it starts to hurt enough that I quit - or even after an hour or so. During that time, I concentrate on perfect form, perfect pedaling, maximum speed attainable at a particular HR or breathing rate, that sort of thing. That totally holds my attention. I play loud rock music. I wouldn't like to be distracted by video or voice. I'm there to do a job. I wouldn't be there if I didn't have a job to do, let me tell you. Who needs to sit on a frigging bicycle saddle, going nowhere and sweating buckets for an hour for nothing?
Old 12-19-14, 04:43 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter
Does your Quasar look anything like this?

Old 12-19-14, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I opt for thr trainer. I have a Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll Fluid Trainer with the additional weighted resistance wheel. The Rock & Roll trainer allows for some lateral motion so when you get out of the saddle it has a more realistic feel.
While I don't argue that riding rollers is more effective at developing skills I get a more effective cardio workout on the trainer. I still try and get out at least a couple of times a week so my skills don't totally go to hell. I really don't get bored on the trainer as long as I have a plan when I get on the bike. I have a few Spinnerval Workouts that I do as well as a book with workouts for the trainer. I work just about as hard as I do outdoors based on my numbers. I have a Stages power meter that gives me wattage and cadence and a speed sensor on the rear wheel so that keeps me focused. I just plug in the earbuds and rock out
Old 12-19-14, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I play loud rock music.
Me, too. Well, in earbuds -- don't want to disturb everyone else! But, yeah, I would find a movie or video too distracting, but I love music, and I love putting the MP3 player on shuffle and matching my cadence to the tunes. The time flies by.
Old 12-19-14, 02:48 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Being polar opposite to y'all.....I WANT to be distracted.
Old 12-19-14, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Does your Quasar look anything like this?

Yeah, for the most part. Mine has a different crank (OE I'm sure), stem (I changed that.), and pedals, of course. Oh, and I put hybrid tires on it. But it's the same color and all.
Old 12-19-14, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we're back where we were a week ago. The kids have been enamored with riding the rollers and tonight, while my son was riding them, the belt snapped. The belts don't seem to be available in town so I'm SOL until next week. On the other hand, I'm taking my kids to Florida next week to see their grandmother so I guess I'll strap the Cannondale to the back of the car and ride for the 3 days I'm in Florida.
Old 12-21-14, 01:27 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts

Back in the day, I had Weyless rollers. I didn't have the cyclometer or the helpful platforms. I learned to ride the rollers via the doorframe method. I wish I still had them.

I still have rollers, though. I rarely ride them, because too often the weather where I live – Los Angeles – offers days like this:

Last edited by icyclist; 12-21-14 at 01:31 AM.