Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does lifting weights affect your riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does lifting weights affect your riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by W Cole
I hope they don't mean working legs 3 times per week, although thats what it sounds like. Even if I wasn't doing any sort of cycling working the same body part 3 times per week would be severe overtaining. I would say optimal for me is ~1.5x per week.

I have some questions for those of you who lift as well as cycle. If I am going to do a short ride (say interval training) and hit the gym in the same day which should be done first? Also, so far I have only been lifting upper body in the gym but I'd like to incorporate lower body squats, etc. which I am told help your core strength as well but I'm unsure of the best way to do this. Do most of you have back to back days where one day you will lift legs and then ride the next?

DO cycling in the morning and workout at evening.
Old 03-31-10, 11:09 PM
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does lifting affect my biking? Yes it makes it much better as long as I keep my BMI low too.
Old 03-31-10, 11:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upper body workouts help a lot, especially when you strengthen the triceps and traps, reduces fatigue when riding for a long time. However, I find I have to space riding and deadlifts as far apart as possible, having a sore lower back really sucks when you're climbing.
Old 03-31-10, 11:47 PM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another issue with the study: 6 weeks is not enough to induce myofibrillar hypertrophy (and whatever small amount of hyperplasia might happen, if it does), which one might expect to increase endurance performance. For a very long time, the idea of hypertrophy was debated because studies stopped before 12 weeks, when these types of gains pick up as neurological gains taper off.

I'm gonna go ahead and invoke specificity of training. For a long-distance cyclist, the benefit of lower-body strength training is questionable.

It does depend on the questions you ask, though. Lifting for endurance? Probably better off on the bike. Training to sprint? Different question. Here, it makes sense to build a base of strength, and then to do power training (explosive lifts and plyometrics) to increase power output. For a crit racer, these types of repeated bursts are useful. Riding centuries? Maybe not for you.

Endurance athletes are not force-limited. Sprinters are limited by power, which has both an energy and a time component. Just being able to put out a lot of force isn't going to cut it.

Personally, I feel that lifting has had a positive impact on my riding. Part of the issue is that only doing squats also might not be that useful; typically, the feet are angled out for balance, but no one pedals like this. I'm more a fan of deadlifts, which encourage you to drive your heel more, and one-legged squats, step-ups, and lunges (the foot is pointed forward). I'm nowhere near what an elite rider might put in, so the added volume is not detrimental.

I'd also question the way in which these guys were squatting. Most of us have had it drilled into us that we're supposed to accentuate the eccentric phase of any lift. Studies have shown lifting to increase strength only over the same ROM and at the same speeds of contraction as the activity you're training for.

So, you've eventually got to make your lifts look something like what you'd do on the bike in order for it to carry over.

Last edited by tadawdy; 03-31-10 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 11:53 PM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neversummer
DO cycling in the morning and workout at evening.
I'd go the other way around, but 3 times a week might also be a bit much. Twice will probably suffice. No one said you have to wreck yourself in the gym. Well, someone probably said that, but they don't know anything.
Old 04-01-10, 12:42 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by W Cole
I hope they don't mean working legs 3 times per week, although thats what it sounds like. Even if I wasn't doing any sort of cycling working the same body part 3 times per week would be severe overtaining. I would say optimal for me is ~1.5x per week.I have some questions for those of you who lift as well as cycle. If I am going to do a short ride (say interval training) and hit the gym in the same day which should be done first? Also, so far I have only been lifting upper body in the gym but I'd like to incorporate lower body squats, etc. which I am told help your core strength as well but I'm unsure of the best way to do this. Do most of you have back to back days where one day you will lift legs and then ride the next?
I'm not a pro but I personally don't believe in squats. IMO they are one of the easiest exercises to do with bad form and to cause injury, so before I would do squats I would see if there are other workouts that are better and safer to do. If I absolutely have to do squats i would take a 1-3 weeks to build those muscles, either use low weights and focus on form or do other workouts that are similar to squats.

That being said I structure my workout routine with an A day or B day, with the second day being for opposite muscle groups (i.e. if you work the biceps one day work the triceps the other). I personally have found that i like to cycle after a leg workout that might have caused the muscles to "shorten" / become tighter (running, weights...) the cycling usually limbers me up. I also prefer lifting weights prior to doing cardio. This is just plain courteous if you're at a gym and plan on sweating a lot, and it allows you to have fresh strong muscles for a potentially strenuous effort (no fatigue = proper form and better weight exercise).

But this is just my personal experience...
Old 04-01-10, 07:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pchopper
Upper body workouts help a lot, especially when you strengthen the triceps and traps, reduces fatigue when riding for a long time. However, I find I have to space riding and deadlifts as far apart as possible, having a sore lower back really sucks when you're climbing.
^^^^^^^

This , I'm a bodybuilder first and cyclist second . Heavy Deadlifts and heavy squats are not good for cycling. Takes atleast 2 days for your body to recover. I personally switch to high rack pulls and stiff legged deadlifts for Hammy work . Takes only a day for me to recover from these exercises .