Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-17, 04:50 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
so if a fever helps the immune system function, does elevating body temp via exercise work the same way? when doing threshold my body temp climbs to about 102, does that help fight infection like having a short-duration fever?
Old 09-01-17, 05:12 PM
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
so if a fever helps the immune system function, does elevating body temp via exercise work the same way? when doing threshold my body temp climbs to about 102, does that help fight infection like having a short-duration fever?
Threshold intensity exercise is likely to temporarily weaken the immune system. The way I understand it is that the heat/fever helps fight infections by creating an environment that is hotter than ideal for the bacteria or virus. Rhinoviruses in particular like the cooler environment found in the nose. It's been a while since I looked any of this stuff up but I do remember that artificially heating post-surgical patients drastically reduces infection rates etc. I believe warming helps - when I have a cold I will often ride the trainer at low intensity with little to no fan and may even wear a toque.
Old 09-01-17, 05:20 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Threshold intensity exercise is likely to temporarily weaken the immune system. The way I understand it is that the heat/fever helps fight infections by creating an environment that is hotter than ideal for the bacteria or virus. Rhinoviruses in particular like the cooler environment found in the nose. It's been a while since I looked any of this stuff up but I do remember that artificially heating post-surgical patients drastically reduces infection rates etc. I believe warming helps - when I have a cold I will often ride the trainer at low intensity with little to no fan and may even wear a toque.
when I googled it the method of action of a fever wasn't cooking viruses as much as certain immune system cells seamed to function better when the body was warmer.

either way, I'm testing it out on my commute home (and in my home when I get there )

Old 09-01-17, 05:49 PM
Killing Rabbits

when I googled it the method of action of a fever wasn't cooking viruses as much as certain immune system cells seamed to function better when the body was warmer.

either way, I'm testing it out on my commute home (and in my home when I get there )
I'm surprised you don't have a hot tub running inside an air conditioned house.

Might be time for me to get a refresher on the mechanism - regardless I'm fairly sure I will stand behind "warmer is better" and don't treat mild fevers with antipyretics. Parents of young children like to laugh at that last part - apparently children's Tylenol etc. makes them less cranky.
Old 09-01-17, 05:51 PM
Killing Rabbits

Plus I'm Canadian - when you have a cold during the winter your place is probably also cold.
Old 09-01-17, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The basis, as I remember, is exercise spreads the bad stuff and effectively just starts mashing buttons in the control center of your nervous functions that interrupts or displaces the ability to directly fight the bad stuff giving you a fever. The fever is at least partially due to paralyzing certain nervous function to isolate or disrupt the spread of the debilitating stuff. Which is a simplified reason for soreness and the sick feeling that limits your ability to just go about your normal business.

Last edited by miyata man; 09-01-17 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 12:22 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I'm driving to Bethesda, MD in the second half of October. There's apparently no way to get there from here without hitting the Beltway. What's the least bad time of day to hit it? Mapquest shows me coming in on I-66 from the west.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-03-17, 07:44 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Guy I've got to know here in Utah just posted a picture with Sagan in Park City. Sagan looks leaner than normal. I'm sitting here drinking ****ty, Utah PBR when i could have been in Park City. If only I had known.
Old 09-03-17, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts

Originally Posted by revchuck
I'm driving to Bethesda, MD in the second half of October. There's apparently no way to get there from here without hitting the Beltway. What's the least bad time of day to hit it? Mapquest shows me coming in on I-66 from the west.
You want to hit the obvious mid day time frame. Rush hour traffic is brutal both ways. Towards DC is slightly worse in the morning, but nothing is good. 66 is all HOV towards DC during morning rush and west is all HOV during evening rush.
Old 09-04-17, 08:53 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I watched "The Shining" last night for the first time. What a film. I'd say the horror bit is a bit dated but it left my mind racing. Coincidentally, last night was the first time in probably 10 years I've been jolted awake by a ~bad~ dream. Couple that with the fact I was sleeping with a mask over my eyes and I was a bit panicky at 5:30 in the morning lol.
Old 09-04-17, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I also dreamed last night. I dreamt I broke away 3 laps into a p12 crit and rode 29 mph all the way to the finish

Needless to say that's not how today's crit went.
Old 09-05-17, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all, does that 3M spray glue work well if you need to reuse the same number over and over? Wondering if I'll end up tearing the number if I keep reapplying and removing.
Old 09-05-17, 07:28 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
You want to hit the obvious mid day time frame. Rush hour traffic is brutal both ways. Towards DC is slightly worse in the morning, but nothing is good. 66 is all HOV towards DC during morning rush and west is all HOV during evening rush.
Thanks!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-05-17, 11:31 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Hey all, does that 3M spray glue work well if you need to reuse the same number over and over? Wondering if I'll end up tearing the number if I keep reapplying and removing.
I have torn the back of the number off like 3 times out of the 100 I've used the spray. I think if you're careful it wouldn't be an issue. Else you could spray the adhesive remover on the inside and the number would fall off, then just let it evaporate before applying new adhesive.
Old 09-05-17, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In general, is the adhesive remover needed to get rid of the residual adhesive leavings or does that come off easily in the washing machine?
Old 09-05-17, 12:01 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
In general, is the adhesive remover needed to get rid of the residual adhesive leavings or does that come off easily in the washing machine?
adhesive remover is required. I've washed kit with the number glued on and it came out with the number glued on and no worse for wear. The adhesive remover smells as a solvent will, strongly, but it's not damaged my kits in any way.
Old 09-05-17, 12:51 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I also dreamed last night.
OK ... really weird .. every single person in my house woke up yesterday from a crazy dream. Back to school anxiety? My wife dreamed a monster ate the whole family. I dreamed I was in a performance of Hamlet and forgot all of my lines and then threw up on stage.
Old 09-05-17, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have torn the back of the number off like 3 times out of the 100 I've used the spray. I think if you're careful it wouldn't be an issue. Else you could spray the adhesive remover on the inside and the number would fall off, then just let it evaporate before applying new adhesive.
Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-17, 04:32 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Goo Gone Spray GEL.

The Gel - not the heavy duty stuff.

Spray on the underside/inside of jersey and let sit 1-2 min. Crinkle jersey as you would a number and gently stretch fabric out under number. The peel number. You can pick off the extra glue. With time, an practice you can get it so there is not extra glue.

All very weather dependent. Humidity, sweat, changes things.

Edit Add:
Word is (though I forgot who told me, and not proven it is true) that the solvent left over time will dissolve the elastic. So we wash shortly after using solvent.

Tip 2 - not to do:
Since Goo Gone works so well it is tempting to use on the sides of tires. I did that. It dissolves the sidewall coating on silk FMBs. Don't do that.

Last edited by Doge; 09-06-17 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 04:36 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
...performance of Hamlet and forgot all of my lines and then threw up on stage.
12 grade English teacher made us all memorize the Hamlet soliloquy. Pretty nerve racking doing it in front of class.
'To Be Or Not To Be': Hamlet Soliloquy Translation & Facts
Old 09-05-17, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I watched "The Shining" last night for the first time. What a film. I'd say the horror bit is a bit dated but it left my mind racing. Coincidentally, last night was the first time in probably 10 years I've been jolted awake by a ~bad~ dream. Couple that with the fact I was sleeping with a mask over my eyes and I was a bit panicky at 5:30 in the morning lol.
I used to work as a shift manager at a hotel where the hallways looked exactly like the ones in that scene...occasionally I'd have a flash of those 2 girls and it would just freak me out....
Old 09-05-17, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
So far the (very) few job leads ive had have fallen through..

Talking with a team mate at tonights race and I have a new lead. He is the deputy director of finance for the parks system and he has an accounting manager position they are just about to post (making more than I did at my previous job). There are a few things I haven't done based on our quick conversation, but he didn't seem to think it was a problem. Just sent him my resume..

Hoping this leads to something..
Old 09-06-17, 05:51 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wylde06
parks system ..
Hoping this leads to something..
Old 09-06-17, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 8340 Post(s)
Liked 9,171 Times in 4,523 Posts
I think it's a weird thing that there are "body snatchers" in my business, dealership service department.
Today one of our technicians was offered a bonus and other perks to go to work for another dealer.
A couple years ago our transmission guy was taken by another dealer in a similar fashion, we couldn't find anyone for months and ended up going through a couple guys before the stolen guy could be wooed back. They gave him a lot more money and other stuff to come back but he hated the commute where he was so much that he would have come back for less.
Old 09-07-17, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
New p2m crankset came today!! Debating installing it right away or waiting 2 weeks for racing to finish before messing with my bike fit. There is a hill in Saturdays race so it might feel weird on the shorter cranks but OTOH I'm so excited to try them out!

Noticed my preferred RPM in the last crit was 104-108, not sure if Ill suddenly start doing 115 or just be cool with a few percent more force.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.