Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Raise your hand if you have been hit by a BUS. Anyone?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Raise your hand if you have been hit by a BUS. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I almost got right-hooked by a local school bus while riding home from work last week. I caught up, tried to get the driver's attention, but she did her best to ignore me. She knew what she had done.

I got the bus number and called the school district's transportation coordinator, who was very sympathetic and promised to do something about it.
Old 04-25-18, 02:41 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
The OP stated he was T-boned, so he wasn't passing the bus but crossing its path in a 4-way stop.

It looked like the bus driver saw him but wasn't thinking. At 3:30pm you could be right he was tired since this is the time of day of the second sleep cycle of the day.

A few days ago I was cut off by someone in a 3-way stop. We all saw each other, stopped and took our turns. But unfortunately, someone decided that my turn didn't count. So when she was right in front of me, I pointed my index-finger straight to her face. Should have blasted my horns too.
At a 4-way stop it would almost be hard to get smashed by a bus if you are being cautious, even if it had a malicious driver.
Old 04-25-18, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have, but i hit back

he wasnt pleased with me riding my bike on the road and tried (on purpose) to bump me into the raised curb, i was not letting that happen and full force hit the side/window twice, hard and loud enough to make the whole bus aware i was there and what was about to happen

mr tough guy tried to deny everything, forgetting busses have cameras, oh well legal bs happens
Old 04-26-18, 10:52 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
i have, but i hit back

he wasnt pleased with me riding my bike on the road and tried (on purpose) to bump me into the raised curb, i was not letting that happen and full force hit the side/window twice, hard and loud enough to make the whole bus aware i was there and what was about to happen

mr tough guy tried to deny everything, forgetting busses have cameras, oh well legal bs happens
Easy to be tough in a bus. A guy in a car did the same thing to a bicycler a few years back and smirked as he had to jump on the sidewalk. Lo and behold who shows up at the next stoplight as he is forced to sit in traffic? Yep, the cyclist. The look on his face was one of the funniest things I ever saw.
Old 04-30-18, 02:45 AM

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I know this 'incident' thread is 3mos. old. The W&OD Trail where the OP was riding is Fairfax County, or Arlington County. People in the DC-Metro become whacko's, when they get behind the wheel. It doesn't matter if the person is in DC, suburban Virginia, or suburban Maryland.
Old 04-30-18, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never have been hit by a bus. anyways, im glad to hear you're OK but if that's what happened, you should receive a compensation from bus company, I guess?