Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I may give up on walking to work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I may give up on walking to work

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 02:53 PM

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I bet it's higher than that in New Jersey, but they just don't enforce it much. And when they do, the drivers get all indignant and complain about how the police have better things to do.
They enforce it here and when people complain it makes the news and then they stand up for the process... and the tickets at some locations actually mean cars MUST stop if there is a person waiting to let them go even without signals.
Old 02-02-18, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I lived in NJ for 26 years. I have a lot of nice things to say about the place, but driving is where New Jerseyans earn their reputation.
It's really amazing/fascinating. There is no obvious logic behind it, since it is geographically attached to NY, PA and close to CT, yet there is a noticeable difference. You get onto the Jersey Turnpike, and it's like, 'what the heck are these people doing?' When my GF and I used to take ski-trips to upstate NY, as soon as the Jersey traffic merged onto the NYS Thruway, it was suddenly the wild west.

And, all of that said, as Jim pointed out drivers in Mass aren't much better. From my experience, they just do wacky stuff.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
An important aphorism I learned on BF is, "To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood." though we don't watch our feet when we dance.
Definitely a good idea, and a habit I carried over from riding motorcycles. The front wheel should give you the earliest indication of movement, unless you want to get into "prediction" based on observing the actual driver (ie. checking mirrors as a sight they want to change lanes)
Old 02-06-18, 01:40 PM

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I'd rather ride my bike than walk
Old 02-06-18, 04:58 PM

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
With good reason. To walk when you have a perfectly good bike is just ludicrous. Probably indicative of a psychological disorder of some sort.

The real question, IMO, is whether when forced to walk for whatever reason, you prefer to do it alone, or walk your bike next to you.
Old 02-06-18, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
My preference is running, cycling, and then walking. In that order. I go on hikes with friends, and I enjoy it when I do, but I would rather run or cycle.