Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reinventing a 1988 Trek 520

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Reinventing a 1988 Trek 520

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My thinking is that the Jones H-Bar (no rise) will give me a generally more upright riding position while still giving me an aero option. I found this Threadless Stem Adapter from Velo Orange that should make it a little easier to experiment with bar/stem height and reach.

Last edited by Stosheroo; 04-04-24 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-04-24, 09:59 AM
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Nicest feeling clinchers (IMO) are Rene Herse. Not cheap, but with aging joints and the rough roads I ride on they're worth the $. In my experience they seem to run a little narrower than stated width, though that's likely as much to do with the rims/rim width as the tires themselves. Only way to know what's going to fit IRL is to take careful measurements with some calipers..... or just try it and see...
I also prefer Herse tires, as wide as I can get to fit. But Grand Bois tires are as good, and there is a 30mm version that works well on older racing bikes with less clearance. (Obviously that's not a concern for you but I felt the info might be useful.)
Old 04-04-24, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Definitely useful as I haven't gotten tires yet so will check these tires out...thanks!
Old 04-04-24, 05:22 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,027 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Stosheroo
Thank you for the correction on the 700c vs 27" size issue. I've been thinking incorrectly on that. Re: brakes, my LBS guy set me up with a pair of Shimano BR-CT91 cantis he claims will be sufficiently adjustable to address the 27" to 700c rim issue. If they don't, Paul makes a set that will work but are substantially more cash.
I am running a set of those--well, the same exact design but of Shimano STX variation--on my '84 620. They work very well. That was a 27" to 700C conversion, originally handled by silver MT-62 cantis but now with the black STX's. I run a very shallow straddle cable angle as I have a fork-mounted hanger stop. It looks more V-brake than anything, but it works well with the newer longer-pull Shimano brifters (Campy Ergos and Tektro R200 levers would perform similarly). You should be just fine with the BR-CT91s!

With respect to tires, I'm sure you're covered here. Paselas for the affordable end (yet plenty good), Soma Supple Vitesse EX on sale as next rung up, Grand Bois for those that know and run them, and then Rene Herse at the top. Interestingly, Soma, GB, and Rene Hearse (standard casing) tires are all very similarly priced. Soma tires are on sale right now, so that's the best bang for the buck, but if you want to spend ~$70 a tire, it's really hard to beat a $74 Rene Herse offering.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 04-04-24 at 05:28 PM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: