Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a Great Lube for Australia - Salty air was rough on our bikes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need a Great Lube for Australia - Salty air was rough on our bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-22, 03:43 PM
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
…in a coastal salt-air environment, washing your bike with water is not an ideal solution—it adds water into joints and crevices on a bicycle that won’t dry out easily and then the next ocean breeze adds salt…voila! From experience, a better solution is an oil based spray that keeps the salt out of those joints and crevices in the first place. It does make a sticky mess if applied to thick, but a little gasoline will take it off immediately once your back ‘inland’.
Old 12-26-22, 04:27 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,702 Times in 1,510 Posts
Different parts need different solutions. My favorite for painted, plated, and bare metal is multiple coats of wax applied and buffed in advance. Carnuba auto waxes are durable and UV resistant.

Obviously you want to be sure the chain stays lubed.

However, people tend to overlook one area that's very vulnerable to maritime conditions. Specifically the SS spokes.

While most expect stainless to live up to it's image, the truth is that the grades used for spokes are not known for their resistance to the chloride part of salt (NaCl). Prolonged exposure allows chlorides to migrate into the steel where it disrupts the crystal structure and creates weak spots. (Search "chlorides and stainless steel" for more on this).

There's no magic solution, so try for fresh water rinses every few days as the opportunities arise.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-26-22, 04:58 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
\
While most expect stainless to live up to it's image, the truth is that the grades used for spokes are not known for their resistance to the chloride part of salt (NaCl). Prolonged exposure allows chlorides to migrate into the steel where it disrupts the crystal structure and creates weak spots. (Search "chlorides and stainless steel" for more on this).
This is correct. There are different grades of "stainless steel". The most corrosion resistant type of stainless steel is non-magnetic (has no iron), but it is weak. Think of stainless steel that is used strictly for aesthetic purposes like stainless steel appliances. It doesn't need to be strong.

Carbon steel is the strongest, but it rusts.

So it is a balancing act to have an alloy that is sufficiently strong and corrosion resistant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainl...ion_resistance

This being said, I would be more concerned with the galvanic corrosion when common metals interact with each other such as alloy nipples against alloy rims.
Old 12-26-22, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
For salty roads ordinary auto engine/crank case oil is great. It has rust inhibitors that will prevent your chain from rustiong. No need to overthink it.
Old 12-26-22, 06:13 PM

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 457 Posts
However, people tend to overlook one area that's very vulnerable to maritime conditions. Specifically the SS spokes.

There's no magic solution, so try for fresh water rinses every few days as the opportunities arise.
This.
Secondly, oil. it's not going to stop anything, but it will slow it down greatly.
Paraffin based furniture polish, wd-40, 99 cent store penetrating lube, literally anything on stainless is better than nothing.
Clean your brake track afterward.
Old 12-26-22, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Boeshield clogs things up to the point where solvent won't get it out. I hate working on bikes that have been T-9'd.
I found alcohol a simple, effective solvent
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-27-22, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Boeshield clogs things up to the point where solvent won't get it out. I hate working on bikes that have been T-9'd.

I would also vote for washing and frequent lubrication whatever oil you feel happy putting on liberally. Oiled steel pretty much can't rust. The rust starts when the oil has wiped or wicked away.

My experience with T-9 is very different, never had a problem with removal or clean up. In addition to my bikes I use it in a salt water marine application, 7 or 8 thick coats on an outboard trim pump coats before spring launch, cleans up easily with simple green and water at the fall haul out, wd-40 also cuts it quickly.
Are you using the over the counter commercial formula or some industrial grade sourced from an airline?
Old 12-27-22, 08:51 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
I lived on Sullivan's Island in Charleston South Carolina a number of years ago. The constant humid, salt-laden breeze coated everything in a brine slime. Oil-based lubes I found were best, BUT, you have to wash your bike every day if you ride it every day, AND you need to keep the bike INSIDE. If you don't do these, eventually the bike will rust. Quite frankly, it will rust no matter what you do but you can minimize it by doing those things.

My routine back then:
I would typically rinse my bike with a garden hose without the spray nozzle. Just let it rain on the bike and brush with a car brush to dislodge any crystalized salt deposits. Yes, if you're on the coast in the south you'll see white spots on the paint. I would follow-up with a sudsy wash, dry completely and take it inside to lube.
Old 12-27-22, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
While it's more correct to say CONUS or mainland US -- and Alaska and Hawaii, I've seen a lot of shipping costs broken out as "US $ Alaska and Hawaii $$$.

Of course, the strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania is narrower than the Pacific between CONUS and Hawaii -- by quite a few kilometers.
Oh yea. Shipping costs often distinguish conus and AK/HI. But you might (or might not) be surprised at how many US people don't even realize they're part of the US. Many outside of the US think AK is part of Canada.
Old 12-28-22, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 1,650 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
My experience with T-9 is very different, never had a problem with removal or clean up. In addition to my bikes I use it in a salt water marine application, 7 or 8 thick coats on an outboard trim pump coats before spring launch, cleans up easily with simple green and water at the fall haul out, wd-40 also cuts it quickly.
Are you using the over the counter commercial formula or some industrial grade sourced from an airline?
Working in a bike shop, when customers have thick coatings of black stuff that has to be scraped out of their cogs because citrus solvent won't dissolve anything - they say it was T-9.
Old 12-28-22, 08:22 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
The most corrosion resistant type of stainless steel is non-magnetic (has no iron), but it is weak. (emphasis added)
The part I emphasized is not correct. 304 stainless is likely what you're referencing. While that has a rather high level of alloying elements, it's still over 65% iron. See the "Chemical Composition" tab at

https://www.upmet.com/products/stainless-steel/304304l

Similarly, 904L stainless has even higher levels of alloying elements, but still contains more iron (min 38.2%) than any other component element. See "Chemical Analysis" at this link

https://www.sandmeyersteel.com/904l.html?utm_term=904l

If it's any type of steel, it contains a large percentage of iron - generally over 50% - with other elements added to produce different physical properties in the resulting alloy.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 12-28-22, 04:59 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,702 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
If it's any type of steel, it contains a large percentage of iron - generally over 50% - with other elements added to produce different physical properties in the resulting alloy.
Yes, steel, by definition, is an alloy of iron and carbon. If it lacks either, it isn't steel, though it may also include other elements.

I suspect that some of the confusion is because, within the industry, the terms alloy and carbon take on new meanings.

Carbon steels lack significant additional elements.

Alloy steels have additional elements, such as, chromium, vanadium, molybdenum, etc. to boost strength or otherwise influence properties.

Stainless steel has chromium as the primary alloying element, with carbon greatly reduced.

All are alloys of Iron.

The magnetic properties aren't related to the presence or lack of iron, but instead about the molecular structure.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-28-22 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-28-22, 05:11 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

The magnetic properties aren't related to the presence or lack of iron, but instead about the molecular structure.
Interesting. I did not know that.
Old 12-28-22, 05:14 PM
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Hondo6
The part I emphasized is not correct. 304 stainless is likely what you're referencing. While that has a rather high level of alloying elements, it's still over 65% iron. See the "Chemical Composition" tab at

https://www.upmet.com/products/stainless-steel/304304l

Similarly, 904L stainless has even higher levels of alloying elements, but still contains more iron (min 38.2%) than any other component element. See "Chemical Analysis" at this link

https://www.sandmeyersteel.com/904l.html?utm_term=904l

I stand corrected.