Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I:

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 10:39 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12782 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
That frame seems to be missing a seatstay or two and...
Old 02-26-12, 10:43 AM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Bought a wireless scanner / printer so I can print off reams of pictures for immigration and was pleased that it took all of 20 minutes before it was networked in and printing off a test page.

My daughters are rather pleased that I am embracing some 21st century technology...
Old 02-26-12, 10:46 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Thanks! Here is the old bike, from when I was a noob and cycling was still very new mysterious

That'll buff right out.
Old 02-26-12, 10:50 AM
Old fart

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That frame seems to be missing a seatstay or two and...
Somehow, the upper pivot spring lost its pre-load, so I had to take it apart to reset it. Once I set the pre-load, the spring was too powerful for me to compress it enough to get the circlip back in place to hold it all together. So I mounted it without the circlip in that amputated dropout, backed out the bolt just enough to not lose the pre-load, wedged a small screwdriver between the backing plate and the dropout and carefully used a hammer and drift punch to force the circlip into the gap.
Old 02-26-12, 11:23 AM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Today I'm trying to move my library from iPod to mac. The cnet top reviewed program I chose to buy has crashed multiple times since ~4am. I sent a nasty email demanding a refund. It shouldn't take this long if I paid $30.
Old 02-26-12, 11:28 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12782 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
I'll just thank the lord above (again) that I've been using Sandisk mp3 players this whole time.

Drag and drop transfer FTW!
Old 02-26-12, 01:00 PM

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Somehow, the upper pivot spring lost its pre-load, so I had to take it apart to reset it. Once I set the pre-load, the spring was too powerful for me to compress it enough to get the circlip back in place to hold it all together. So I mounted it without the circlip in that amputated dropout, backed out the bolt just enough to not lose the pre-load, wedged a small screwdriver between the backing plate and the dropout and carefully used a hammer and drift punch to force the circlip into the gap.
I have a Campy derailleur sitting in pieces because of this exact problem. The spring slipped, and now I can't get it back on.

And it is a VERY powerful spring.
Old 02-26-12, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55F in the basement, 26F outside, 75F in the enclosed porch with full sun. moved the rollers up from the basement and got in a nice sweaty ride.

between more "riding", and giving up booze for Lent, i'm about 10# leaner...

now to see if i can scare up a used front brake to throw on the 725 for spring.
Old 02-26-12, 02:18 PM
Old fart

Originally Posted by Sherblock
I have a Campy derailleur sitting in pieces because of this exact problem. The spring slipped, and now I can't get it back on.

And it is a VERY powerful spring.
You're welcome to try my method -- it worked for me, anyway.

I won't even charge you royalties!
Old 02-26-12, 02:39 PM

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broke my iPhones back screen. Went to apple and got it replaced. Now I am happy again!
Old 02-26-12, 02:43 PM
沒有腳踏車的居民

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ
Today I'm trying to move my library from iPod to mac. The cnet top reviewed program I chose to buy has crashed multiple times since ~4am. I sent a nasty email demanding a refund. It shouldn't take this long if I paid $30.
lol @ paying for things.

da fuq is wrong with you?
Old 02-26-12, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ
Get the application for the Mac called Senuti. Also pretty sure it is free. I got it a long time ago, so I don't remember. Certainly not $30.
Old 02-26-12, 03:00 PM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my light finally came in, but they didn't send the mounts to put it on my bike. So now I'm hoping they either send me some before christmas or I can find some for chepa. Also the battery probably weighs an entire pound on its own. Took about 5 weeks to get to me. I would pay the extra fee and just buy a magicshine or whatever.

it is bright as hell though
Old 02-26-12, 03:01 PM
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
learned how to no-handed track stand! it seemed so impossible until i realized it's actually pretty easy
Old 02-26-12, 03:20 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I payed for it because I had the capacity. I appreciate software design as much as music, and I like to support when possible.

Last night I went to a show and they said I could either buy a copy for $5 or dl for free. Them having the second option drove me to buy it from them. They were good, so I wanted them to have the money I worked for.

I assumed the same for a highly rated program. I was trying to do this late and wasn't waking roomie up for this bs, since he has had a mac, and he suggested that program after I pulled the trigger on this ****.

Attached is my hate mail. lol worthy or not, I hate dealing with customer service.

Just paid for the subscription, and I'm trying to transfer 8000+ songs to a mac. Its frozen 4-5 times already, mid-task. Is this a hardware issue? Software? I just paid $30 for software that freezes after ~200 song transfer tasks. The mac is brand new. The iPod is only 2-3 years old and perfectly functional in every other experience I've had.

I want a refund. Sorry, I was not expecting this program to be so dysfunctional. I would have went with a less robust, free program. I'm willing to be as public and brutal with everyone I can reach, internet and in person, about my displeasure and terrible experience with your product.

I guarantee that I will dissuade at least three people from ever using your products should I not get a full refund on my credit card. Take that however you want, I don't care. It's a legitimate threat in my eyes.

Before any action is taken, I would liked to be informed. If no action is taking, I really want a response, no matter how useless. If I don't hear back with a response for my legitimate problem with your software that I just purchased, you guys can all go to hell.

Please understand my frustration, but I wanted to support a what I believed to be a good company with good software. Had I known this **** would've happened, I would have just pirated it and put up with the flaws because it was free. I didn't. I paid for the software. I want answers.
I finally got it working, but I have to add by a genre at a time since the program can't handle an 8000+ file task, which is lame considering I paid $30. That's why I'm demanding a refund. If they tell me to go **** off, I'm torrenting the full version registration. Feds can suck my ****ing cock.
Old 02-26-12, 03:21 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Higher Class
learned how to no-handed track stand! it seemed so impossible until i realized it's actually pretty easy
I can't track stand yet Longest was like 3 seconds but I was stoked.
Old 02-26-12, 03:26 PM
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That hate mail seems a little excessive. Did you look at reviews before you bought it? You threatened them even before you gave them a chance to respond.
Old 02-26-12, 03:28 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah. Cnets top rated most popular or close to the top.

Exactly. They sold me ****ty software and I'm a disgruntled customer. They should be willing to help me out, as long as I don't talk killing their firstborns and eating their hearts.

I don't want to put the name of the software or company until I get a response, either positive or negative. I'm still on the fence. The apparent anger you're reading is something I call assertiveness. Is it too much? Sure. But they're the one's in the wrong for selling faulty software at a premium price.
Old 02-26-12, 03:35 PM
We win all charity rides

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ
I'm right there with you. I did one for almost an entire red light once, and I was super stoked the rest of the ride home. Never again.
Old 02-26-12, 03:43 PM
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GMJ
Yeah. Cnets top rated most popular or close to the top.

Exactly. They sold me ****ty software and I'm a disgruntled customer. They should be willing to help me out, as long as I don't talk killing their firstborns and eating their hearts.

I don't want to put the name of the software or company until I get a response, either positive or negative. I'm still on the fence. The apparent anger you're reading is something I call assertiveness. Is it too much? Sure. But they're the one's in the wrong for selling faulty software at a premium price.
If it's rated so well, there must be a reason. I'm not a programmer, but I find it hard to believe that they would be able to write a program that would work flawlessly every single time with every single setup. Stuff happens. A chill pill should be taken, IMO. In my experience with customer service, it's much more beneficial for you to be friendly and understanding up front than to start by demanding a refund or else. It was worked in my favor 9 times out of 10 with anything ranging from computers and electronics to bike parts.

My two cents.
Old 02-26-12, 03:47 PM
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GMJ
just practice. I couldn't really do it for a long time, then I dedicated an hour outside of my house to learning them. Doing it on a fixie is one thing, but doing it on a geared road bike is like 100 roadie steez points.
Old 02-26-12, 03:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second weekend in a row doing 3k+ ft of climbing on 50x16
Shut up legs!
https://app.strava.com/rides/4547180
Old 02-26-12, 04:03 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yummygooey
If it's rated so well, there must be a reason. I'm not a programmer, but I find it hard to believe that they would be able to write a program that would work flawlessly every single time with every single setup. Stuff happens. A chill pill should be taken, IMO. In my experience with customer service, it's much more beneficial for you to be friendly and understanding up front than to start by demanding a refund or else. It was worked in my favor 9 times out of 10 with anything ranging from computers and electronics to bike parts.

My two cents.
It's probably rated so well because the average user isn't moving as much music at one time as I am. These programs have limitations, I understand that, and for the majority, maybe it works great! In fact, it does work ok as long as the hopper doesn't have more than 1000 files in it. After that, it freezes and restarts my iPod, which terrifies me. This is all I have left of my library, so I need to protect it like a baby.

A chill pill? They sold me crappy software. I can be angry and calm at the same time. I'm usually not screaming at this screen when I type arguments, FYI. I'm not trying to talk down on you, I'm just explaining where I'm at.

Maybe you're right. I need to find a balance of being polite and understanding, but where do you draw the line?

I like to use a restaurant reference. We went out to dinner a few years ago, and my uncle's meal was the last to come out, 45min later than everyone else's. If you work in actual restaurants, you know this is ****ing unacceptable because the diner has to watch others eat, and then everyone has to wait for them. He speaks to the hot shot manager and takes a firm stance. The manager starts giving excuses as to why it happened and tried to play it off like it was no big deal. My uncle used no profanity, but made the point very clear that that was piss poor service to be ashamed of. He demanded his portion to be free, and he got it. A $30 rib slab along with drinks.

He could have asked, been denied, and been content. **** that, my uncle doesn't let people walk over him. Works in finance, he knows how to deal with possible hostile situations with a level head. I'm getting there, but way off the ****ing charts when you start talking "level-headed".

edit: Just happened again. Unbelievable. This time its ****ing up with 600 files. This is ****ing garbage. A $30 program should be simultaneously doing my taxes and finding the best CL hookers to keep my nights from getting lonely. It can't even handle an iPod, which is embarrassing. Understandable though. The programmer worked for a third party app. If he was worth his weight in salt, we would be working for apple,google, etc. etc.

Last edited by GMJ; 02-26-12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-26-12, 04:04 PM
Thugnasty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Street rider
I'm right there with you. I did one for almost an entire red light once, and I was super stoked the rest of the ride home. Never again.
I've fallen so many times trying to trackstand for an entire red light. -100 hipster pts.
Old 02-26-12, 04:06 PM
GMJ

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My roommate pulled multiple hour ride in the city without ever touching the ground. I told him to **** off, because it made me so much worse about myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.