Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Loaded bike weight?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Loaded bike weight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 01:24 PM

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How did you carry those tent poles on the bike? I have the Cabela's version of that tent. Also have three other tents. When I used to do car camping with the Boy Scouts I would bring an 8'X10', just for me. Cot, reclining tent chair, the works. The bride always thought I was "roughing" it!
Old 09-08-15, 01:27 PM

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A guess based on the brand and decade- that bike will be 29# +/- 2 pounds. There are touring bikes that weigh less, but its rare that you see one under 26# and that's typically without a rack. You can get bikes made that weigh less, it costs a lot.
a 30# touring bike really isn't a lot of weight, relatively speaking.

I would think it would be easier to go from 50# of gear to 45# of gear and less expensive, than to drop 5# off a bike since that would probably require a new bike. Of course, if there are any steel components on your Nishiki, you could swap them out for alloy and save weight. Stem, handlebars, or seatpost would be the 3 main possible places for an 80s Nishiki to possibly have steel components.

That's about right. Pretty good, and yes mostly steel.
Old 09-08-15, 01:46 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Everyone seems to measure weight differently so I let my spreadsheet calculate it many ways:

BIKE + ALL GEAR & SUPPLIES: 67 lbs

MY WEIGHT: 165 lbs

GRAND TOTAL: 232 lbs

BIKE WEIGHT: 30 lbs

WEIGHT CARRIED BY BIKE: 202 lbs

WEIGHT FOR GEAR + SUPPLIES: 37 lbs

SUPPLIES WEIGHT: 9 lbs

GEAR WEIGHT: 28 lbs

BASE WEIGHT: 24 lbs

BIKE & GEAR: 58 lbs

BIKE & BASE: 54 lbs

BIKE & BASE & SUPPLIES: 63 lbs as Pictured:

Last edited by BigAura; 09-08-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 01:48 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11033 Post(s)
Liked 7,580 Times in 4,227 Posts
Stem, seatpost, and handlebars could be easily swapped out for alloy if they are steel. And for relatively cheap. If you are near a bike co-op, they most likely will have used alloy options and itll cost probably $25 total.
Otherwise ebay/amazon can get that stuff to you for under $75.
A lot cheaper than buying a new bike to drop a pound or two.

Another cheap weight drop is new tires and tubes. Some tubes are 3x heavier than others. And tires are often times 2x heavier than good alternatives that aren't incredibly expensive. $30 per tire can get you tires that are light, roll great, and still protect the tubes well. You can save a pound or two replacing tires. Even when they aren't much lighter in actual weight, good tires can make the ride feel better and easier.
Old 09-08-15, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18486 Post(s)
Liked 15,781 Times in 7,409 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Being cold and wet isnt fun so in the end, its really a necessity (and factor in experience, perhaps being older one will want to avoid previous unpleasant experiences of cold/wet whatever).
I got a sudden case of weight weenie fever just before I went to SW Montana in mid-June last year. It's a very transitional time in those parts. I had been there a few years earlier and didn't see a drop of rain, and except for one or two mornings, temps were nice, so I decided to take a very light rain shell instead of my full rain jacket. I also left behind my warmest gloves. I literally got rained on, hailed on and snowed on descending 26 miles from a nearly 8,000' pass. On the penultimate day of the trip I got caught in a cold rain storm during a long descent from 7,300'. I will never make that mistake again. Fortunately, I brought a winter weight jersey. Without it I would have been in more serious trouble than I was.
Old 09-08-15, 02:07 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 2,584 Posts
You need enough clothes that on your coldest days, you can wear every item you brought and be warm enough. More that that is luxury You need shelter you can get real sleep in. You have to stay well fed. You have to keep the bike running. All else is fluff. Perhaps really gun to have fluff, but fluff nevertheless/

On a ride through cities with bike shops and lots of markets plus warmshowers or motels, you may need very little beside clothes. On a ride in the middle of nowhere, you better have a good sleeping bag, tent, etc and cooking gear plus food plus all bike tools you will need. In a cold locale, we may be talking about 60-70 pounds of gear where that first tourer needed 12 pounds of clothes and a wallet.

Ben
Old 09-08-15, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
And this all is including bike tools/tubes, etc? As well as bar farkles and lights?
For me it includes almost everything. I forgot 2 items; the weight of the front rack, and my bar bag. So about 1.5 pounds added to the bike and 2-3 pounds for bar bag.