Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Surprised at disc brake performance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Surprised at disc brake performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always see people using maintenance against disc brakes yet I haven't really seen that many disc owners actually complain about it... odd...
Old 04-26-16, 07:38 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I tend to encounter stop signs and red lights when I ride. Sometimes I'll have a green light but then it turns red!
Cycling/Driving/Walking in an urban environment while negotiating traffic control devices requires a certain amount of situational awareness and familiarity with the hardware one is operating. No hardware type confers immunity to the laws of physics or compensates for lapses/lack of awareness.

It's Not About the Hardware and Never Has Been.

-Bandera
Old 04-26-16, 07:54 PM
~>~

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
There are no baby strollers. There are no skateboards. It's a road. For bikes. You don't even see a jogger until you get within 15 miles of the beach.
How nice.
Not exactly a testing ground for any type of bicycle brake, and not actually Road Cycling on the open public roads we all put the miles on.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 04-26-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 08:07 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have hydro disc on my MTB and they are great.

I recently test rode a new Domane SLR with hydro disc and after taking it along the soft shoulder in the dirt, sand and mud, i was on a paved down hill and the brakes were awesome. So much so that i decided that my new gravel bike needed hydro disc also.
Old 04-26-16, 08:24 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Cycling/Driving/Walking in an urban environment while negotiating traffic control devices requires a certain amount of situational awareness and familiarity with the hardware one is operating.
In other words, you are forced to ride slower in some situations because of your **** brakes.
Old 04-26-16, 08:25 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
actually you guys are making the case for disc brakes.

2. There is no significant weight penalty.
What's insignificant to one person might be significant to another. All those grams add up. Since I like to ride uphill and I can save several grams at no additional cost with rim brakes, why not? ;-)
Old 04-26-16, 08:34 PM
~>~

In other words, you are forced to ride slower in some situations because of your **** brakes.
Hardly, as previously noted:

I use brakes as little as possible.
Momentum is hard won, bleeding it off unless really necessary does not help me go faster/farther/safer.
The lightest systems designed for the delicate touch and precise modulation of road racing serve me perfectly well, even if those designs are >40 years old.
-Bandera
Old 04-26-16, 09:45 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
How nice.
Not exactly a testing ground for any type of bicycle brake, and not actually Road Cycling on the open public roads we all put the miles on.

-Bandera
Well, I've never had to stop to clear the mud out of my brakes with a stick, so I've got that going for me.

Here's an easy bottom line: the top defense of rim brakes, other than "they've worked fine since forever," is "so long as you don't ride in the wet, you don't need discs." The drawback to discs seems to be "they're several grams heavier." So if we do a head-to-head between discs and rim brakes in a variety of conditions, including panic braking in wet and dry, the discs are going to come out ahead overall. Even if by the slimmest of margins.

And yet still, I'm not telling anybody to give up their rim brakes, or run out and buy a bike with discs. Ride whatever blows the wind up your skirt. I don't give a damn-- I don't have to ride anyone else's bike. I like my discs, and the bike after this bike will have discs.
Old 04-26-16, 10:42 PM

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually you guys are making the case for disc brakes.

1. In dry conditions they are no worse than V brakes and in general has proven to be better.
2. There is no significant weight penalty.
3. As we go forward the price should be a non issue.
4. Improvement on downhills
5. Improvement in wet conditions.
6. Better for "off road" riding.

Do you need them, no, but for few dollars more why wouldn't you get them

most "average" users take their bikes to the LBS for servicing anyway..
Except there IS a significant weight penalty.
Old 04-26-16, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by link0
Except there IS a significant weight penalty.
Weight penalty
Aero penalty
Cost penalty
Aesthetic Penalty
Safety Penalty
Old 04-27-16, 02:18 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
you missed my points let me try again

if riding in normal conditions there is no downside to having them

basically your argument is "I don't need them because I only ride in good conditions". OK great, but if the price of disc is basically same as V brakes why wouldn't one get them.
To me, your comment about being no downside to owning disks in normal riding conditions is bogus. I have owned disk brake bikes. I know the downside in adjustment relative to caliper brakes. Disks are heavier. Disks are less aerodynamic. Keeping them quiet is a PITA...rotors have to be dead true and caliper and pads have to be dead center to not rub with a low travel lever position...especially if pads are new. I am the guy that helps my riding friends adjust their disk brakes because they can't keep them quiet or from rubbing as I am a better wrench than the rest of them because of my background.

You can dream on all you like about disks not having a downside in normal conditions but they do including cost and the vast majority of riders will be better served with caliper brakes.

The upside for disks is riding off road...or riding a lot in inclement conditions. This is where my disk brake bikes have shined and the only reason I put up with their PITA compared to calipers.

Further caliper brakes are not created equally. I haven't spent a lot of time on Sram caliper brakes but I have on Campy and Shimano built bikes and Shimano's latest Ultegra and DA calipers are outstanding in terms of modulation, lever effort and power. To me they blow Campy out of the water in terms of performance and why I ride Shimano brakes on my Campy bikes.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-27-16 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 02:28 AM
Voice of the Industry

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, I've never had to stop to clear the mud out of my brakes with a stick, so I've got that going for me.

Here's an easy bottom line: the top defense of rim brakes, other than "they've worked fine since forever," is "so long as you don't ride in the wet, you don't need discs." The drawback to discs seems to be "they're several grams heavier." So if we do a head-to-head between discs and rim brakes in a variety of conditions, including panic braking in wet and dry, the discs are going to come out ahead overall. Even if by the slimmest of margins.

And yet still, I'm not telling anybody to give up their rim brakes, or run out and buy a bike with discs. Ride whatever blows the wind up your skirt. I don't give a damn-- I don't have to ride anyone else's bike. I like my discs, and the bike after this bike will have discs.
You wear a skirt?...hmmm. Not telling anybody to give up on their rim brakes? That's nice.

I have to laugh about caliper brakes not working in the wet. Gee....how have I ever survived over the decades of fast group riding getting caught in a rain storm? Or pro tour riders in 'racing conditions' in the wet descending the Alps at 50 mph + with caliper brakes. Since they have been banned in the pro peloton, I guess they will have to walk when it rains. Too bad.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-27-16 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I tend to encounter stop signs and red lights when I ride. Sometimes I'll have a green light but then it turns red! Oh nos! I'm going downhill at 35+mph and traffic in front of me is stopping. Geez, that momentum sure was hard won and these **** brakes won't stop me anyway. Hold on to your dual pivots we're blowing through this intersection!
So you're claiming to push close to 40 miles per hour in town with lights and traffic?
Old 04-27-16, 07:50 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
I have ridden V brake and disc brake mountain bikes. For the kind of riding I did, they offered no real advantage. I never rode in conditions I couldn't lock V brakes in. If I can lock the brakes, power isn't an issue. It's just a matter of finding the right amount of pressure to control braking so that I don't lock the brakes. That's not an issue either. In fact, I have fewer accidental lock ups with rim brakes than with discs. Don't get me wrong, I liked the disc brakes, but they didn't really do anything for me.

The bicycling world needs change to fuel interest. There's only so much technology that can be applied to a bicycle, so you see the industry push changes. Some of those changes stick and some don't. I remember when Bio Pace chain rings came out. The industry pushed it and people swore by it. Then they didn't. So they reinvented it, and now people swear by it. Press fit BB, the various head set configurations, now axle changes and road disc. Mostly change for the sake of change. Real benefit to every day riders is nominal at best.
Old 04-27-16, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have a bike with hydro disc brakes and another with caliper. I'm a lot more "aware" and cautious on fast descents in wet weather with the calipers. Stopping power isn't the issue, it's the precise modulation that hydros provide that elicits confidence using them. There is a different feel from 75" of rim rubbing against pads that are 1" apart per revolution versus the smaller disc with pads 1/4" apart, and any imperfections in the rim caliper setup really amplify.
Old 04-27-16, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
basically your argument is "I don't need them because I only ride in good conditions". OK great, but if the price of disc is basically same as V brakes why wouldn't one get them.
Not have to deal with fluid, especially when hanging bikes by the wheels upside down in the garage. I can grab a bike after not riding it a few months and know the brakes are going to work.

I'm just gonna have mineral oil all over the floor with hydraulic/disc brakes.

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Further caliper brakes are not created equally. I haven't spent a lot of time on Sram caliper brakes but I have on Campy and Shimano built bikes and Shimano's latest Ultegra and DA calipers are outstanding in terms of modulation, lever effort and power. To me they blow Campy out of the water in terms of performance and why I ride Shimano brakes on my Campy bikes.
9000/6800 braking is incredible. And I thought the previous generation was just fine.

Last edited by andr0id; 04-27-16 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Not have to deal with fluid, especially when hanging bikes by the wheels upside down in the garage. I can grab a bike after not riding it a few months and know the brakes are going to work.

I'm just gonna have mineral oil all over the floor with hydraulic/disc brakes.

9000/6800 braking is incredible. And I thought the previous generation was just fine.
Why are you going to have mineral oil on your floor? Its within a contianed system
Old 04-27-16, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horses for courses. Disks have definite advantages and a few drawbacks. For many sport/race road bike users who don't commute and realistically don't ride much on their fancy bikes in adverse conditions there simply isn't much gain. I just bought a Cervelo R3 without disks for precisely that reason. If I lived in rainy mountains or was committed to crappy weather riding my decision would have been different. I wouldn't buy a commuter or touring bike without disks, nor a tandem.

The UCI's decision about disks will have a big impact on availability and preference for disks on higher end road bikes, as will their weight limit decisions. If they remove or lower the weight limits the weight of the disks becomes a more meaningful issue. Not that we're riding with the pros but it influences preferences.
Old 04-27-16, 09:07 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Interesting thread. I was just thinking about it last week, all the new bikes showing up at rides this year but no disc brakes with the "fast" bikes until yesterday. For the first time I saw a true, higher end bike with a fast rider show up with disc brakes. I've seen a few beginners with flat bar bikes with disc and a few C, D level riders with them, but not so much with the "B" and "A" level riders until yesterday. Based on some of the threads on BF, I expected to see mostly discs on new bikes. Just not seeing big acceptance, Certainly, haven't heard anyone buying a new bike just to get disc brakes.
I upgraded my main rider to 7800 series DA brakes with Koolstop salmon colored pads. It has plenty of stopping power. I think I'd go to 9000 series before I'd trade the bike for a disc bike.
Old 04-27-16, 09:12 AM
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Careful, those things can cut your leg right off.
Old 04-27-16, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
A couple of points.

1) Shimano road hydrualics greatly benefit from using MTB lines. Shimano, in their infinite wisdom, decided road riders weren't ready for MTB style braking feel, and intentionally used more flexible brake lines. The result is the lever feel is less firm that if you swap to the newer MTB lines.

2) Hydraulics allow for a dramatic reduction in lever travel and force. If you a 170 lbs man, caliper brakes are fine, but for riders with small hands (especially women) will benefit from the reduced lever travel and pull force required. With caliper brakes, women are frequently forced to choose between inadequate pad clearances or levers that are too far forward.
Old 04-27-16, 09:45 AM

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Why are you going to have mineral oil on your floor? Its within a contianed system
Like the "contained" fluid systems on airplanes, cars, motorcycles and all the other contained systems that never leak? You are a very optimistic person. I've been elbow deep in hydraulic fluid before, so I am less naive.
Old 04-27-16, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Like the "contained" fluid systems on airplanes, cars, motorcycles and all the other contained systems that never leak? You are a very optimistic person. I've been elbow deep in hydraulic fluid before, so I am less naive.
Entropy at its finest...
Old 04-27-16, 10:17 AM

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Entropy at its finest...
The one key thing I learned in the Navy, the only thing that breaks faster than an airplane you fly is an airplane you don't fly.... Go figure.
Old 04-27-16, 10:23 AM
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No surprise performance and feel are similar. That was Shimano's design intent with this first generation of road. There are tons of articles on line, but the short version is that Shimano initially went with the MTB (more aggressive) feel and roadies didn't like it. So they changed the housing, ratios, etc... to feel more like a standard caliper brake.

With a hydro system, the potential is there to make the brakes feel very different. For this revision though, we all get something that feels very much like quality road calipers. Which doesn't suck at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.