Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Problem with the 2006 Litespeed Ultimate?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Problem with the 2006 Litespeed Ultimate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 09:55 AM

Bikes: some piece of s h i t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if there is anyway to get ahold of the defective frame for cheap... take off the deraileurs, rear brake, extra chainring and brifters, throw on an eno eccentric hub and you will have an awesome titanium fixie.
Old 02-21-06, 10:02 AM
...need...more...power...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thelung
you will have an awesome titanium fixie.
They said the frame was "to spec". I assume they are going to sell it as new.

As far as "to spec" is concerned, look at the pictures! Of course there is still the fixed gear option that eliminates the clamp....
Old 02-21-06, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please keep us posted. . .Litespeed has been on my short list for a while, I'd like to see how this pans out. Plus, you can post a wicked head-to-head of the Vortex and the CAAD 8.
Old 02-21-06, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red is Faster!
2/21/06 update (Month 7 for those keeping track)
As of today, both UBC and I are still waiting on the frame to be manufactured by Litespeed. Matt Conto of Litespeed assures me that it will be the first bike that is made in the next run. That was three weeks ago. I must admit I am starting to worry.

If they're going to weld you a frame, why can't they just weld you an Ultimate with a slightly longer chainstays?
Old 02-21-06, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Too many...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mayukawa
If they're going to weld you a frame, why can't they just weld you an Ultimate with a slightly longer chainstays?
+1 seems obvious doesn't it?

BTW I belive M2 racer makes a really light and thin FD clamp that would get you another 1-2mm.
Old 03-09-06, 09:54 AM
...need...more...power...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Litespeed Ultimate Final Chapter 3/9/06

At least I hope it is.

On 3/3/06 I called UBC to find out if they had an update. Essentially the "where is my frame" conversation. Carlos informed me that he had spoken to Litepseed and that the frame was - at earliest - going to be manufactured on 3/30/06.

I called Matt Conto at Litepseed to confirm this detail. I was informed Matt no longer works there. His replacement said he could not help me without an RA# (return authorization number). Since I did not have the number handy, I kindly asked him to ask around for a moment, that surely someone would recall my saga. He infromed me he WOULD NOT do that, and if I were to call back, don't forget my RA #.

At this point, I gave up. God does not want me to ride a Litespeed.

Litespeed did not want to help, or else they would have made the frame 6 weeks ago as promised. Competitive Cyclist said they were no longer a dealer so they could not help. UBC had done nothing but help me, however I did not buy the bike from them so they had little leverage.

My options:
#1 wait and see if the frame would ever be made. Since I ordered it in August of 2005, I assumed not.
#2 call Mastercard and see if they could give me options.

Love or hate the credit card companies, option #2 was the best one I could come up with. WOW! Mastercard came through big time. I told them my story. That took about 15 minutes. They said, don't worry, that I would be refunded my money. The plan, should it have gone this way was for me to be refunded my $$$, Competitive Cyclist would have recived a chargeback, then they would need to fight with Litespeed. At this point, this appeared to be my only recourse.

BEFORE I sent all of the forms to MC, I called Competitive Cyclist and told them my plight. They were on the ball and asked if I could wait until Monday March 6th before going through with Mastercard. I agreed. On Monday AM, Brendan "The Owner" from Competitive Cyclist called back and asked for the story. (insert another 15 minutes here). He asked that I get him the tracking numbers to prove Litespeed had the frame, the RA# (which I have now since memorized) and he would refund my purchase EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE NO LONGER A DEALER! Wow! Needles to say +100 for Brendan and his company!

3/8/06 I recieved a call from Chris Brown of Litespeed. He wanted to know if there was anything they could do to make me reconsider. He said they thought they could get me a frame in 2 weeks (ROFLMAO). I said sadly that it was over. I was not going to ride a litespeed in my lifetime. To Chris's credit, he was VERY profesional, and assured me this was a one time "fall thorugh the cracks" issue. We had a freindly conversation, and said goodbye.

So ladies and gentleman of BF. I do not own a Litespeed. I have grown to really like my Caad8 (now named "Spanky"). It's lite, fast, stiff, plus it has good karma.

I REALLY REALLY HOPE I do not need to add to this story. Keep subscribed if I do.

Final thoughts:
#1. University Bicycle Center in Tampa Florida ROCKS! Carlos and the guys get MUCHO points for offering great customer service on a bike they did not sell. If you are in this area and need a bike, they are the guys to get it from.
#2 Competitve Cyclist and Brendan are good guys. They did what they could. Granted the chargeback scenario should not have gotten to that point, but when it did, they were there to help, plus Brendan seems to be a real cool guy. During one conversation he said he would be going out to lunch and a quick ride, as if he pulled a bike from his lunchbox or something. I admire that kind of passion!
#3 Mastercard. Love em or hate em, you have a problem with a large purchase, they are THERE to help. Use a major credit card on bike purchases. Just pay the damn thing off before you get hit with a 20% finance charge!
#4 I am not going to say Litespeed is a bad company. Think of all of the experiences you might of had where your company really screwed up a customers/clients order and it "slipped thorugh the cracks". All of the above is just my experience. Yours will probabaly be very different.
#5 lastly - ALWAYS BUY THE BIKE ON THE FLOOR! No more of this ordering frames for me! "60-63cm. You got one in stock? I'm comming over!"

Good luck everyone, and thanks for the support!
Old 03-09-06, 10:28 AM
Smartassmarketing guy

Bikes: 06 Ghisallo, 08 Jamis T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am really sorry that you had such problems and endless delays with your attempt to buy a bike. The ball was definately dropped in this case by us and I am sorry that you ended up feeling the brunt of it.

Meanwhile though feel free to talk to me if I can help you with other concerns or questions.

Cheers,

Herbert

Director of Marketing
Litespeed
Old 03-09-06, 11:53 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Red; Too bad that it didn't work out. You were wise to move on, it was just not meant to be. Certainly you were more than patient. Glad to learn of the happy dealing with the bike shops. Bob
Old 03-09-06, 02:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, let's move to the moral of the story: Always use Dura-Ace, not campy, on all Ti frames!

LOL just kidding. Glad it worked out.
Old 03-09-06, 03:03 PM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
After the second page, I was gonna suggest keeping the C'dale, and well, whaddaya know.....
Old 03-09-06, 04:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, thanks for keeping us posted and for keeping an objective mind in the matter. I would have been pissed at the world. Enjoy the CAAD 8!
Old 03-09-06, 06:00 PM
Hiracer

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, Bacchetta Strada, Diamondback MTB, Lemond Sarthe DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love happy endings.