Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anyone do an FTP Test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-18, 03:09 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by faulker479
Getting technical, but the formula is 95% of the 20 min power. I've heard people say that if you don't puke after the FTP test, you didn't do it right. If that's the case, I don't want to do it right.
That sounds about right, but I don't have that much in my stomach when I ride, so never have stomach issues. Another way of looking at it is that the FTP is the point at where you start to get lactic acid buildup in your muscles. At or below that point, your body can clear out the lactic acid. Above that point, it starts to build up, and your muscles get tired (oversimplifying a lot here, but that's the basic theory.

The first and only time I did a proper FTP test was when I was just getting over a cold. I should have known better than to waste my time with it, but I did it anyways. To top it off, my I also realized that my seat wasn't adjusted quite right, and I really wanted to quit the test and give my bottom some respite. My starting point was a guess at my FTP from Strava, and I was rewarded with something like a 30W drop (which Zwift has basically completely given back again over the weeks).

I have also heard it said that for most people, the first time you try an FTP test, it doesn't go well, and that gives an apparent drop. Subsequent tests, you have a better idea for what the test entails, and people generally get better results. But all that being said, an FTP test is generally never very fun, and if your mind isn't in the right place, then you aren't very likely to get a good number. I have no trouble going for a new PR for a segment, however, and that's usually what I am doing when Zwift starts giving it back to me.

And congrats to @sdmc530 on the FTP result. I think I am still in the mid 100's, putting me off the bottom of the chart earlier in the thread.
Old 03-30-18, 05:10 PM

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by faulker479
Getting technical, but the formula is 95% of the 20 min power. I've heard people say that if you don't puke after the FTP test, you didn't do it right. If that's the case, I don't want to do it right.
That is good to know. If it takes a good barf at the end of the ride I don't want to do it either. I have never really done any structured training until this spring but never have I felt that I have overtaxed myself.

I have noticed my PM on zwift and the number I get in the real world can be out as much as 20% while training in different HR zones. I would like to have a loan of a smart trainer to compare the two at the same time.
Old 03-30-18, 10:35 PM

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
That is good to know. If it takes a good barf at the end of the ride I don't want to do it either. I have never really done any structured training until this spring but never have I felt that I have overtaxed myself.

I have noticed my PM on zwift and the number I get in the real world can be out as much as 20% while training in different HR zones. I would like to have a loan of a smart trainer to compare the two at the same time.
Even using the same PM, I think it's normal to be able to go harder out doors than on the trainer. Part of it may be mental, but I feel I can definitely hold higher numbers on the road than sitting on the trainer. There is more adrenaline going on to help me keep up with the group. And I have the wind to cool me down better than a box fan ever could. I cannot do structured workouts outside. So having the FTP numbers from a trainer Test,still allows me to get in a good workout and won't hurt me outside. If it was the other way around and I was stronger inside than out, that would suck.