Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Form, Function, Looks, Price - what’s your formula?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Form, Function, Looks, Price - what’s your formula?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 06:08 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Very good headsets are the Tanges if you go threaded. $10-30. I get ~8000 miles out of them, then they start getting "notchy". I then go one ball size larger and it's another 1-2,000 miles.
I doubt i will live long enough to have to replace the threaded Tange headset in my Raleigh, but , but if I do, thanks for the tip. (I went with black, though.)
Old 03-08-19, 09:16 PM

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
So I am spec-ing my replacement bike build, and it is a tough decision to decide when to be generic or upgrade.

On my values list, I’d love to buy sime American made stuff, on the looks front - I nave a soecific aesthetic vision. Of course my actual needs are pretty straightforward, just about anything will be functional for me.

So I am debating on the splurges and saves. So far

Splurge:
frame (custom over stock)
brakes (Paul brakes)
front light (Edelux 2)
crankset (Velo Orange)

Save:
headset (Velo Orange)
stem (Velo Orange)
rear light (B&M rack mount)
dynamo hub (SP)

I may change my saves and splurges as the final tally gets closer - but it is hard to decide.

So how do you rank and prioritize? Do you have a formula. What do you save or splurge on?
I would splurge on the frameset because you can't replace that cheaply, and a good frame should be just that...good. Component wise there isn't much difference between 105 and DA, in fact 105 is known to be more robust than DA.

Paul brakes? why? when other less expensive brakes work just fine.

Why Velo Orange stuff? are you trying to go vintage look? If that's the case I would go Velo Orange with the brakes instead of Pauls; in fact I would go Velo Orange for all the components, better yet try to find NOS or NIB vintage components on E-bay and make it a true vintage component bike. If you go all Velo Orange then the problem becomes what of the derailleurs? Velo Orange doesn't make those, but I wish they would, if you get something modern like 105 it will look just plain goofy with Velo Orange vintage look. EBay has this, and probably others, but see this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SunTour-Cyc...YAAOSwZ2tcOOIK I guess you could get just NOS/NIB vintage derailleurs and the rest Velo Orange. Suntour made the best vintage derailleurs of any company. that was on the market back in the day, models like Superbe, Cyclone, and Sprint were extremely good derailleurs, mountain bike type of components then see this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-XCD...gAAOSw9t1auxYL

Lighting choices sound good, I don't necessarily agree with your choice but I read your response when someone else questioned that wisdom so I won't bore you with why I disagree.

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant to what your asking, but I can't tell what you're wanting to do with the bike, do you want a road bike, a mountain bike, a gravel bike, a touring bike, a commuter bike, a hybrid bike, what?
Old 03-08-19, 10:17 PM

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I would splurge on the frameset because you can't replace that cheaply, and a good frame should be just that...good. Component wise there isn't much difference between 105 and DA, in fact 105 is known to be more robust than DA.

Paul brakes? why? when other less expensive brakes work just fine.

Why Velo Orange stuff? are you trying to go vintage look? If that's the case I would go Velo Orange with the brakes instead of Pauls; in fact I would go Velo Orange for all the components, better yet try to find NOS or NIB vintage components on E-bay and make it a true vintage component bike. If you go all Velo Orange then the problem becomes what of the derailleurs? Velo Orange doesn't make those, but I wish they would, if you get something modern like 105 it will look just plain goofy with Velo Orange vintage look. EBay has this, and probably others, but see this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SunTour-Cyc...YAAOSwZ2tcOOIK I guess you could get just NOS/NIB vintage derailleurs and the rest Velo Orange. Suntour made the best vintage derailleurs of any company. that was on the market back in the day, models like Superbe, Cyclone, and Sprint were extremely good derailleurs, mountain bike type of components then see this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-XCD...gAAOSw9t1auxYL

Lighting choices sound good, I don't necessarily agree with your choice but I read your response when someone else questioned that wisdom so I won't bore you with why I disagree.

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant to what your asking, but I can't tell what you're wanting to do with the bike, do you want a road bike, a mountain bike, a gravel bike, a touring bike, a commuter bike, a hybrid bike, what?
No worries about derailleurs: #teamIGH . So I don’t have a groupset.

The general vision for my bike is speedy townie bike that is amenable to my longer ride aspirations. I am a one bike sort of person so it needs to be pretty versatile. But no speed aspirations. I just live jn a hilly place.

Velo Orange components since I want a classic-ish bike. Silver components, though I may choose another accent color.

Paul centerpulls because they get good reviews, look the part, and allow me to get something American.

My old build was a similar idea, but I am looking for slightly faster geometry this go around. Plus details like internal cable routing.

Last edited by jade408; 03-09-19 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 12:55 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Sounds delectable.
Old 03-09-19, 08:34 AM

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408

No worries about derailleurs: #teamIGH . So I don’t have a groupset.

The general vision for my bike is speedy townie bike that is amenable to my longer ride aspirations. I am a one bike sort of person so it needs to be pretty versatile. But no speed aspirations. I just live jn a hilly place.

Velo Orange components since I want a classic-ish bike. Silver components, though I may choose another accent color.

Paul centerpulls because they get good reviews, look the part, and allow me to get something American.

My old build was a similar idea, but I am looking for slightly faster geometry this go around. Plus details like internal cable routing.

Ok, that helps clear some stuff up.

I think I would rather spend a bit more money and try to find either in bits and pieces, or as a whole package a true vintage component system, but that's just me, but that vintage stuff was almost always silver and they were very high quality especially the upper mid to upper end stuff vs Velo Orange. Any vintage brake cabling can be internally routed, they did that back in the day of vintage steel bikes, internal routing isn't a new idea. Since you live in a hilly place but not a mountainous area older 5, 6 or 7 speed freewheels would be more than enough gearing, and you really don't need a triple chain gear set up unless you plan on carrying heavy loads with the bike, ie touring gear, but even on the vintage end of the spectrum they made triple chain gears for touring bikes back in the day so you can find that if you need it. If you want to go real vintage keep in mind that all maintenance issues, like chains, cables, bearings, gears etc are all found in local bike shops, the only things local bike shops won't be able to get is ring gears but if you stay with major brands like Suntour and Shimano you can get those anytime you need one on E-bay; and you may have trouble finding brake hoods at an LBS but again they do remanufactured brake hoods so they are out there; and brake pads can usually be found at LBS's as well since Kool Stop (or whatever their name is) makes them for any vintage brake system. I've owned and ride regularly a vintage bike and haven't had any issues getting whatever I needed...but the older stuff rarely breaks like the newer stuff does which is the main reason I would go with true vintage stuff. I personally think that Suntour was the best of the vintage components, they were extremely robust, shifted faster and more positive than anyone else, looks wise I liked drillium but that stuff is difficult to get and the companies that made that stuff were not as reliable as Suntour, there was some Suntour drillium but the French Huret, and Spain Zeus went crazy with the idea which looked really cool but durability of any French system wasn't good, not sure how reliable the Zeus stuff was because I never knew anyone who owned the stuff. I had a neighbor that had a vintage drillium Huret on a bike that he owned forever, he said he hated the reliability and the shifting quality it but he loved the look of it! And it was very cool looking.

Anyway just some random thoughts to consider.
Old 03-10-19, 10:27 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Spend on a classic frame and some good wheels. The rest are consumables. Next year there will be a newer shinier groupset. My 2c.
Old 03-11-19, 04:05 AM

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I think for me value is most important but I couldn't buy something that didn't appeal aesthetically. For groupsets I tend not to go for the top of the range as I feel you are paying a huge amount for very little extra. So my groupset of choice when I kitted out my 1993 bike was Campagnolo Chorus rather than Record. My last bike was SRAM Force rather Red or Red Etap. And if you're looking for American components I can thoroughly recommend SRAM - it works beautifully. Although my reason for going for it was more to do with aesthetics - I think the Ultegra chainset is hideous (although none of them have the organic beauty of Campag chainsets from ca 1990) and I also didn't like the idea of the brake lever doubling as a shifter.

For the frame, I'd never go top-of-the-range unless I had money to burn. I've got a nice carbon frame and I'd probably not really notice the improvement if I'd spent double. I could have spent more on the wheels but they're ok. Not sure about very deep section wheels as they seem to be quite susceptible to side-winds.
Old 03-11-19, 07:50 AM
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Man I don't know. My brain is so accustomed to making the bike I have better. If I took on building my own custom bike I'd end up in a straitjacket drawing pictures of my dream bike on rubber room walls with crayons between my toes.
I'm sure you'll end up with a sweet ride.
Good luck!