Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Reel in the fish, watch it jump off the line

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Reel in the fish, watch it jump off the line

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 10:22 AM
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not a problem. Forget your previous destination, make the turn, follow your dream and pass your competition just before the imaginary finish line.
lmao! I was just thinking about the perils of racing those who have no idea they are being raced. Btw, I'm totally guilty and, why yes, I am a tool, plus I love love LOVE to stare at other peoples equipment.
Old 08-17-09, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's not really racing. More like a means of pacing. However, I have raced others on commutes from time to time. Roadies frequently commute around here and we tend to get into occasional playing type races with each other. Though some do take it seriously.
Despite what some think in this forum it is fun and that is all it is meant to be. There is no trophy or anything. Just a way to make a boring commute more amusing.
Old 08-17-09, 10:42 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I don't intentionally 'reel in' other cyclists on the commute. There are little to no other cyclists out during commuting hours who keep a fast pace, so it mainly a matter of planning ahead where to pass with gaps in traffic and approaching intersections and modulating speed for the best timing.

A week or so ago I was cruising at 25-26mph and noted I was gaining, but slowly, a cyclist in the bike lane. What was odd about it was they guy was totally upright. As I got a bit closer I noticed there feet were not moving and then arted to smell the exhaust. Ah ah! Anyway I did ramp it up a couple mph to pass them as I didn't want to suck down the fumes. I also knew I could make a clean pass as the guy probably had the machine maxed out (it sure sounded like it!) and he wasn't gonna go into a tuck just to keep up. He did get back to me at the next red light ~1/4mi ahead and kindly did not pass me again. The acceleration on green of that motorized cycle was much slower.
Old 08-17-09, 11:49 AM
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't really feel the need to race. What does bother me is when I'm moving along at my pace, and I overtake some guy going way slower than I am, and then he pumps like hell to catch up and pass me, then can't maintain the pace. I usually slow down because I don't want to bother passing him, but eventually I'm down to several MPH slower than I want to be going.
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I didn't realize it was a race, but when I passed a guy on an MTB, I must have offended his honor or whatever... He put the hammer down and I could hear his full-suspension springs creaking.

I wouldn't normally rise to the bait, but this dude was emitting a savage plume of stink, so I was pretty determined to hold him off. He cut over to the sidewalk on a right turn,glancing back at me over his shoulder and was back in front briefly, but I passed again (seeing stars from the aroma,) and he gave up.

Come to think of it, I also go out of my way to avoid riding behind fuming cars, I suppose I just prefer breathable air...
Old 08-17-09, 01:00 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Potato
Using the above quote as an example only and not being personal about it, can someone explain the equipment fixation this sport seems to have? I don't get how what a bike is made of, what its components are, what you wear, or how fast and far you ride relates to anything.
You're not a serious cyclist unless you know all the letters and numbers of every component on your bike. You're not really serious unless they cost you more than $1500 or so.

Welcome to the club of non-serous cyclists, there are a number of us here. We just ride the damn things.
Old 08-17-09, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do it all the time and I end up kicking myself for doing so each time. Takes me another 1/2 hour to cool down at work when I found myself keeping up with or passing another rider.

It must be human nature, though. I used to do this when I was running 5K and 10K races. And I know a lot of other people who would do that too.

Problem is that it can mess with your pace and/or cadence "internal clock," or at least it does for me.
Old 08-17-09, 01:23 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
You're not a serious cyclist unless you know all the letters and numbers of every component on your bike. You're not really serious unless they cost you more than $1500 or so.

Welcome to the club of non-serous cyclists, there are a number of us here. We just ride the damn things.
It does appear that you take your non seriousness serious.
Old 08-17-09, 02:05 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two weeks ago I actually cycled about a mile out of my way chasing another young guy that had passed me. Got so into the chase I missed my turn.

Guy looked to be my age but was riding a much more recent Trek (vs my 84 Motobecane). He only had a camelbak to my rack, trunk bag and single pannier.
Old 08-17-09, 03:54 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Nope... but it's fantastic for trolling for responses on internet forums though
You ain't kidding. For some on this forum not wearing clothing to match the equipment is a criminal offense that should be reported to the police. Seriously. Eh?
Old 08-17-09, 04:53 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Crap.
I'm supposed to color coordinate with my bike also?
Old 08-17-09, 05:03 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
LOL ,I am in big trouble because my pants and shoes don't match my cranks and wheels.
Old 08-17-09, 07:08 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Crap.
I'm supposed to color coordinate with my bike also?
If it is an expensive bike, maybe so.
At least make sure your shoes are compatible with your pedaling system and the bike sizing meets the approval of the bike (fashion) police or you may have some 'splaining to do to the police about your right to ride high priced equipment.
Old 08-17-09, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edit: D'oh! slow on the uptake. Now I remember that thread.

Last edited by Hot Potato; 08-17-09 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 07:23 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
30 years ago it was amusing.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 08-17-09, 07:38 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Hot Potato
edit: D'oh! slow on the uptake. Now I remember that thread.
How could you forget? Some of the responses on "that thread" were classic!
Old 08-17-09, 07:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A while back, there used to be a nice circuit path around a reservoir in a nearby park where spandex weenies would ride to show off their expensive high end bikes. They would noodle around and then I would come draft them on a bright red Huffy 12-speed Windsprint and push the pace. The sheer fear of the embarassment of being passed by a Huffy coupled with being spandex posers with no stamina made nearly all of them pull off like "they had to be somewhere" after a few laps. They couldn't drop me and I didn't move to pass them so they were all near cardiac arrest when "they had to be somewhere"...

The one guy who didn't quit until it was almost nightime became one of my best friends.

I say that 1: make no mistake, you're a tool and 2. if you really want the "reward", then follow them to pass them even if it is off your path. Though it can be a bit too obvious if you pull into their driveway...

Last edited by Stray8; 08-17-09 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chasing and passing happens more with the bus around my area. A red light at the right time equals victory!
Old 08-18-09, 10:25 PM
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
It's a commute, not a race, so I ride my own ride, and let everyone else ride theirs whenever possible.

Last week I was riding in with a coworker that I've corrupted (er, make that converted to commuting) who's pretty fast, so we tend to hold a pretty decent pace when we ride together. I'd lost him at an intersection where he got held up by cross traffic, so I was soft pedaling at maybe 16 mph to let him catch up. I caught up with a guy on a fairly nice road bike and good gear, who'd been doing maybe 14 mph, at about the same time that my coworker caught up with me, so we picked up the pace and passed. A quarter mile later, the guy we'd just passed went by us at maybe 25, and cut in close in front of me, so I supposed that he wanted a paceline. It's an open section of path, so we tucked in behind him; after perhaps a half mile he started flagging a bit, so I passed him and said, "I'll pull for a while." To my suprise, he picked the pace back up and passed me again, and worked hard to keep it over 25 for the next couple of miles. On the one climb on the ride in, I could tell he was hurting, but he was keeping up about the same pace I wanted to, so I didn't bother passing. At the top, though, I felt good and he was obviously tired, so his speed dropped a bit. At that point I didn't want to pass him just for the sake of getting him to pick the pace up again, but I didn't really want to ride at his pace the rest of the time; my friend and I ended up taking a different route once it became clear that he was headed for the route we usually take. Pretty annoying - I don't mind being passed by people who are genuinely going to go faster, but to be passed by somebody who can't maintain my pace without blowing up is a nuisance.
Old 06-13-18, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
This one I lose: Just A Little Too Slow
How about a lot too slow. Because he still smoked you, despite you (typically)blowing through a red light without even slowing down and he's standing as waiting for the light to change. In fact, he's more courteous than you are.
Old 06-13-18, 01:26 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Not a racer... (a little gross)
Old 06-13-18, 02:39 PM

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You ain't kidding. For some on this forum not wearing clothing to match the equipment is a criminal offense that should be reported to the police. Seriously. Eh?
Hah, this is a necro thread, but since it's already back from the dead - yup, currently the General Cycling subforum is debating yet again if matching clothing is needed. The Road Cycling has already made their decision (of course). Commuting subforum still split on the matter.

I see many cyclists in my area - both on the MUP and on the roads - who are clearly newbs or are not as hardcore as you might think (just training for the PanMass ride which is SUPER popular). A lot of such people don't ride a lot or fast - some are overweight, some clearly don't have a good fit on the bike or have the saddle height figured out judging by their overly bent knees or rocking hips, some just bought their top-of-the line bike because their doctor told them they need to exercise more and they have the money and the want for a new toy - complete with a kit. Not everyone who's fully decked out in a kit and on a modern bike is a super-duper roadie. I've actually had tougher time keeping up with some of the hairy dudes on Surly-like commuter bikes with panniers.

However, there are occasional guys and ladies with stick legs and arms who clearly ride a lot of mileage, very fast.
Old 06-13-18, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
The line in the original post that struck me funniest was the one about how hard you have to work after passing somebody to avoid "looking like a tool!" I've given up the game of passing people in the distance for just that reason. By the time I pass them, I'm often so out of breath that I have to stop for air and then watch them leisurely whiz by me. (IN Y'ER FACE!!!!!)

Regarding some of the other comments people have made in this thread regarding cyclists who take their equipment, their clothing, and their technique really seriously, I've gotten myself into trouble for judging these riders and I eventually understood that it's none of my business what makes other people happy. For some, using bicycling for self-esteem, health, and competition is the joy of their lives. Power to them for that. They are not a threat to me, nor a reason for me to enjoy cycling any less. But to paraphrase what someone else said earlier, I like to just ride the damned thing.

Post Script: The next time you are compelled to catch up to someone in the distance, go for it. But don't pass them. Pull up beside them and start a conversation. You may make a new friend.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 06-17-18 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-13-18, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
On my commute there are many pleasant women riding during the warmer months, why would I want to race to pass?
Old 06-13-18, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
But to paraphrase what someone else said earlier, I like to just ride the damned thing.
. Truth!
Old 06-13-18, 11:02 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
How about a lot too slow. Because he still smoked you, despite you (typically)blowing through a red light without even slowing down and he's standing as waiting for the light to change. In fact, he's more courteous than you are.
Haha. Trying to get my goat. You don't know my history.

Here's one with a happy ending. Same bike. Long Haul Trucker with 2.1" rubber and fenders. Woulda ground that dude down in the video you mentioned as well. He was gassed.

https://vimeo.com/71218407

And if you like that, you'll love this. Put me on a road bike and see what happens.

https://vimeo.com/66991486

I have a dozen of these vids. Most turn up on Google searche under "NOLA Geek Hunt". Or PM me and I'll send you the entire Geek Hunt catalog!

Oh yeah! Me at my best: https://vimeo.com/69726845

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-13-18 at 11:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.