Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My stearing feels "twitchy"

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

My stearing feels "twitchy"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 11:45 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
No measurements. Eyeballed it. That's all I've done so far.
I would start there. Unless you are using each bike for wildly different purposes, take the bike you feel fits you best and copy (in this order) the following measurements onto your other bikes:
- Saddle height from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the part your sit bones rest on (usually the widest part of the saddle).
- Saddle fore/aft. Use a plumb bob (weight on a string) and a yard stick or tape measure to measure from directly over the bottom bracket to where you sit on the saddle.
- Handlebar drop. Measure from the ground to the top of the saddle and then from the ground to the top of the handlebar, noting the difference.
- Reach. Measure from where you sit on the saddle to the tops of the handlebar. This is where you might want to consider changing stem length.
Old 03-08-22, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I don't know much, but I would make sure the headset and front hub are properly adjusted (assumes they can be adjusted). Loose or binding headset and front wheei with a lot of play can lead to weird twitchiness.

I have 3 bikes that are of similar size and set up and none twitch in any way at any speed. But years ago, I had a Centurian LeMans, with a headset issue. I'd set it and then it would shift and the handling at speed was downright scary. Turned out the race was shot and had some brinelling (pockets) and caused the adjustment to shift.

Mike