Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mavic in Trouble?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mavic in Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 08:41 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
These preferences are politically motivated, and they don't make a lot of sense to me. Portraying the Chinese as evil is misguided. Sure, the government is not something I admire, but so what. Some Chinese made stuff is crappy, but not all. Some of it is top notch. The generalizations are generally not very accurate. And remember, things change. In the 70s, we laughed at Japanese made stuff, and then it became, whoa, this is amazing. Then Taiwan. Now Korea. Trust that people who used to be bad at stuff later can become good at it. And if we're not careful, they'll eat our lunch. It's not a conspiracy to take us over. They compete just as we do. Or rather, they compete just as we used to. If I were to attribute evil intentions, it wouldn't be to the Chinese government or companies, it would be to the execs at American companies who outsourced our work to Asia in pursuit of profits.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-10-20, 11:27 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The company has been around since 1889? Wow, I had no idea. I wonder what the first products were.
Fenders, IIRC.

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Now if Rigida gets sold...
Is that sarcasm? They were acquired by the Dutch company that now goes by "Ryde", decades ago.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-10-20, 11:38 AM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 3,140 Times in 1,977 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Is that sarcasm? They were acquired by the Dutch company that now goes by "Ryde", decades ago.

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo......
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-10-20, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
These preferences are politically motivated, and they don't make a lot of sense to me. Portraying the Chinese as evil is misguided. Sure, the government is not something I admire, but so what. Some Chinese made stuff is crappy, but not all. Some of it is top notch. The generalizations are generally not very accurate. And remember, things change. In the 70s, we laughed at Japanese made stuff, and then it became, whoa, this is amazing. Then Taiwan. Now Korea. Trust that people who used to be bad at stuff later can become good at it. And if we're not careful, they'll eat our lunch. It's not a conspiracy to take us over. They compete just as we do. Or rather, they compete just as we used to. If I were to attribute evil intentions, it wouldn't be to the Chinese government or companies, it would be to the execs at American companies who outsourced our work to Asia in pursuit of profits.
Yeah, I find that their ping pong balls, and paddles are top notch. Fireworks pretty good too.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 05-10-20, 12:51 PM

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
"Blanket Statements" apply to the Chinese Companies due to their modus operandi of business. First They copy the designs ,Ideas, and Products of Western companies,(all Without adherance to Copyrights and Patents), make them very cheaply in China and sell them back to Western consumers at a very low cost putting the Original manufacturer at a severe sales disadvantage.

Years later the Original Manufacturing Company cannot compete with the extrely low cost Chinese goods thus putting them out of business.

A Chinese Investment Corporation then comes in and buys the failing Western Company , buying them and all their Brand recognition and Product patents and loyal customer base... The Irony.

Mavic will still be around for another 100 years, maybe only in Name but not as a once presitgious High end Bicycle Parts manufacturer/Innovator.

Now where did I leave that odd little Mavic 851 rear deraileur "washer" ??
Old 05-10-20, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
"Blanket Statements" apply to the Chinese Companies due to their modus operandi of business. First They copy the designs ,Ideas, and Products of Western companies,(all Without adherance to Copyrights and Patents), make them very cheaply in China and sell them back to Western consumers at a very low cost putting the Original manufacturer at a severe sales disadvantage.
I'm confused. You're saying that all Chinese companies steal intellectual property? I agree it's a major problem with the law and law enforcement in China, but to say that you can apply a blanket statement to all Chinese companies is ridiculous. It's a somewhat childish way of seeing the world. But it's always easy for grumpy old men to make blanket statements about people from other countries than acknowledge that there are honest, hardworking people everywhere. It's a shame a thread about a historic cycle part company will probably be locked because some people turn red in the face at the mention of "China."
Old 05-10-20, 04:08 PM

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I'm confused. You're saying that all Chinese companies steal intellectual property? I agree it's a major problem with the law and law enforcement in China, but to say that you can apply a blanket statement to all Chinese companies is ridiculous. It's a somewhat childish way of seeing the world. But it's always easy for grumpy old men to make blanket statements about people from other countries than acknowledge that there are honest, hardworking people everywhere. It's a shame a thread about a historic cycle part company will probably be locked because some people turn red in the face at the mention of "China."

This Thread will remain Open as long as You cease lobbing personal attacks and keep it Civil

You can lob accusations of "childishness" and "Grumpy Old Men" all you want, or you can do a simple GOOGLE search and read all about it. Chinese theft of Western companies technology has been occuring for decades now, its nothing new or surprising if you bother'd to keep up with current Events. Its not xenophobia buddy, its easily verifiable Facts.

MAVIC going belly up just might be an internal mis-Management Issue , or it might be due to Unfair Market competition from Asian goods. One thing is certain, Well established Western Companies have continued to lose Market share to Asian Companies for many years now and have been put out of Business,,and its not going to stop any time soon.