Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra RD-R8000 derailleur chewing up shifter cable - WTH?!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ultegra RD-R8000 derailleur chewing up shifter cable - WTH?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
When indexing first came out (around 1984, of course this statement disregards history before I was alive when other indexed systems were offered) Shimano suggested a replacement rear shift cable every 1000 miles or so was the maintenance schedule. Now nearly no one I know of does that. Instead most all will replace the cable after it has started to fray, often after it broke. After the first broken cable many riders start to pay more attention to their cables and some replace them before they fray to insure best riding performance. After all the cost of a cable is pretty minor. Andy
Every 1000 miles? That could be 5 or 6 cables a year. Nobody I know pays that much attention to them. And maybe they are relatively cheap but the better ones still cost some money. I put a new set of Campy cables on my bike about 5 years ago and they are still fine and I never give then any thought but now that I'm writing this I'll give them a once over.
Old 06-15-22, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Every 1000 miles? That could be 5 or 6 cables a year. Nobody I know pays that much attention to them. And maybe they are relatively cheap but the better ones still cost some money. I put a new set of Campy cables on my bike about 5 years ago and they are still fine and I never give then any thought but now that I'm writing this I'll give them a once over.
You have made my point that very few riders service their bikes as the manufactures would deem best. When we have to pay a user fee for the software used by our future E controlled bikes (monthly or annually your pick) some of us old guys will remember back when a cable was only $10 and lasted for a year, or more.

I think we cam agree that replacing the cables before they fray or brake is a good plan. How soon that is is somewhat dependent on the rider and how they shift. How does a company figure out what maintenance schedule their worst customer will need VS what the general public will actually do? Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 06-15-22 at 07:47 PM. Reason: satire not initially made obvious for the worst reader:)
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 07-27-22, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1 and bchains, please post a photo of the differences between the two. I always am curious about these things.
As promised, Shimano sent me a new derailleur, cable, and chain - that's customer support! Given the lame rules of the forum I can't post a picture since I haven't done 10 posts so unfortunately the readership won't be able to benefit from seeing the differences, which are many. Particular to my issue, there is a a different looking channel for the cable to route through on the newer one (bottom). I'm using a Jagwire cable this time around (with the old der) so we shall see how things progress.
Likes For bchains:
Old 07-27-22, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by bchains
Given the lame rules of the forum I can't post a picture since I haven't done 10 posts so unfortunately the readership won't be able to benefit from seeing the differences, which are many.
I'll just point out that the reason for this is to keep out one-time spammers and trolls. A good rule IMO. Anyone who wants to keep visiting the forum will stay long enough to get 10 posts.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-27-22, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'll just point out that the reason for this is to keep out one-time spammers and trolls. A good rule IMO. Anyone who wants to keep visiting the forum will stay long enough to get 10 posts.
Dumb policy. Maybe 1-2 posts would be fine. As a result my post doesn't fully help other riders out there struggling with the same problem. I'd suggest that this is why people DON'T come back and go to other forums. Like me now... ta ta.
Old 07-27-22, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You have made my point that very few riders service their bikes as the manufactures would deem best. When we have to pay a user fee for the software used by our future E controlled bikes (monthly or annually your pick) some of us old guys will remember back when a cable was only $10 and lasted for a year, or more.

I think we cam agree that replacing the cables before they fray or brake is a good plan. How soon that is is somewhat dependent on the rider and how they shift. How does a company figure out what maintenance schedule their worst customer will need VS what the general public will actually do? Andy
man I did not even think about this, but it certainly will happen

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-27-22, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
As promised, Shimano sent me a new derailleur, cable, and chain - that's customer support! Given the lame rules of the forum I can't post a picture since I haven't done 10 posts so unfortunately the readership won't be able to benefit from seeing the differences, which are many. Particular to my issue, there is a a different looking channel for the cable to route through on the newer one (bottom). I'm using a Jagwire cable this time around (with the old der) so we shall see how things progress.
That's super customer service! I'm really glad you sent your issue to Shimano and got their "my bad" acknowledgement.

Did they explain why they also gave you a new chain?
Old 07-28-22, 10:20 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Dumb policy. Maybe 1-2 posts would be fine. As a result my post doesn't fully help other riders out there struggling with the same problem. I'd suggest that this is why people DON'T come back and go to other forums. Like me now... ta ta.
Ah, man! You only had three more posts to go!

Do you know a lot of people who DON'T come back, and go to other forums?
Old 07-28-22, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Ah, man! You only had three more posts to go!

Do you know a lot of people who DON'T come back, and go to other forums?
+1. I always find it amusing when someone comes to a FREE forum and the only contribution they make is getting THEIR problem solved by many people offering their time and knowledge and especially the moderators and site owners that run the site who may or may not be getting any financial return from this and then the poster stomps their feet and goes off in a huff because some extremely minor requirement to post here. Not to mention cobba posting the OP's photo, in post #4, for him. Years ago, I went into a bike shop that happened to be in the middle of putting on a free repair course to anyone who wanted to attend. I stuck around for the last bit of this and at the end some guy wanted to know if he could get a discount (because he was so special) for attending the free course and when told no he said to the shop worker that he would get his parts from somewhere else that was cheaper.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 07-28-22 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank: