Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

April 2023 - Time to stock up? a glut of bikes and parts in the market right now

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

April 2023 - Time to stock up? a glut of bikes and parts in the market right now

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 09:56 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
There are a lot of bikes on CL, but 50% are big box, 20% are within the last 2 decades, and the rest is a mix of early 90s Treks and overpriced vintage.
The exception to overpriced is bikemig's current listings.

$350 for a Schwinn High Sierra? Nope.
$250-400 for mid-level 25" bikes that aren't actually overhauled? Nope. And those are my general size.

I have sold 6 frames on eBay in the last 4 months. All were made between '75 and '95 with sizes between 50cm and 65cm. Small sample size, but it's seemed like interest has been there when pricing makes sense.
Old 04-16-23, 12:19 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Don't know if they run with the old or new 9-speed pull ratio, and research has proven fruitless thus far.
I figured it out recently (by getting it wrong on two different bikes). If they say "9 speed" on the lever, they're the new pull (2001 had both 9-speed and 10-speed Daytona shifters). If they don't say anything, they're the old pull. The derailleur difference is easier to spot, but I shared some details about that here: Soon-to-be-vintage Campy Derailleur Info

(These are new pull.)
Old 04-16-23, 12:32 AM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I figured it out recently (by getting it wrong on two different bikes). If they say "9 speed" on the lever, they're the new pull (2001 had both 9-speed and 10-speed Daytona shifters). If they don't say anything, they're the old pull. The derailleur difference is easier to spot, but I shared some details about that here: Soon-to-be-vintage Campy Derailleur Info
THANK YOU!! New vs old pull on rear derailleurs I (thankfully) have known about for some time, but for shifters, totally in the dark. I just checked and there is no "9 Speed" label on them, so it's old pull.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 04-16-23, 02:21 AM

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 535 Posts
The boat bringing tires to the UK must have sank as I can't find any nice 28c gumwall Vittoris's or Veloflex tires anywhere here from any of the usual sellers, as in none, nada, zero from anywhere, never mind any discounted ones. You lucky souls!

There's plenty of the black ones but no gumwalls, can't even seem to find any in 25c either, at this rate my biking future is going to be against my will and I'll be forced to ride 21c orange tires as that's all there is left. A Mad Max dystopian future of whack color combinations.

On behalf of my fellow countrymen and women can I request an airdrop of decent 28c gumwall tires to the UK please, we can offer you turnips and, errr more turnips in return, thanks.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-16-23, 09:50 AM
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
The boat bringing tires to the UK must have sank as I can't find any nice 28c gumwall Vittoris's or Veloflex tires anywhere here from any of the usual sellers, as in none, nada, zero from anywhere, never mind any discounted ones. You lucky souls!

There's plenty of the black ones but no gumwalls, can't even seem to find any in 25c either, at this rate my biking future is going to be against my will and I'll be forced to ride 21c orange tires as that's all there is left. A Mad Max dystopian future of whack color combinations.

On behalf of my fellow countrymen and women can I request an airdrop of decent 28c gumwall tires to the UK please, we can offer you turnips and, errr more turnips in return, thanks.
<brexit noises in background>

I've had a couple orders for gumwall tyres from UK suppliers (Merlin a couple months ago, Planetx still enroute). A recent thread helped empty out the skinwall stock from planetx.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 04-16-23, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
A recent thread helped empty out the skinwall stock from planetx.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking must have happened. By the time I got to them they had only black tires left.
Old 04-16-23, 01:19 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
I have found prices to be all over the map, depends on where you shop. I always check the UK sites too as they seem to be really good at times and as noted the shipping is cheaper from UK than from the US in many cases. It would be nice to see some of the prices on DiaCompe's higher end parts come down a bit. The dollar has been fairly strong. 30% stronger against the yen. Didn't look at Taiwan. I am circumspect on cost of parts as I can build a fun C+V bike for a fraction of an off the shelf bike, and with better parts. Even if you spend 400 or more in parts, new bikes are in the 1200 buck range and up. E bikes are a mixed bag based on range/style/origin. I am looking at building an e-bike conversion for about 1K. So, yeah, I am going to grab cheap parts when they come up, but I can only ride one bike at a time so trying to just have several well used ones vs a garage full of unused.
Old 04-16-23, 01:32 PM
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 330 Posts
https://www.bike24.com/p2407099.html

Massive sale on conti gp5000 tyres there.

Originally Posted by botty kayer
... we can offer you turnips and, errr more turnips in return, thanks.
I’d pm you my address for the turnip shipment, but I’m afraid they’d rot before you get done with the customs paperwork. <sorry >

Last edited by panzerwagon; 04-16-23 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 04-16-23, 02:32 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I have had this for sale on local CL and FB market place for almost 3 weeks. Not one inquiry. Not even an ill-informed low ball offer. Weird times.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...605712796.html
How long is the top tube? Just asking...
Old 04-16-23, 04:41 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
How long is the top tube? Just asking...
58 c-c
Old 04-16-23, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Didn't the 7-11 team used to race Campy equipped Huffy's in the '80s?
They did, at least in 1988. But the team-issue "Huffy" frames were actually built by Serotta.

Well, mostly. The one Andy Hampsten used in 1988 in the Giro was actually a custom frame made by John Slawta of Land Shark.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-giro-ditalia/
Old 04-17-23, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 535 Posts
Thanks, yes I had to get some of them in the end, but really these are tan and a bit darker than I wanted, they might not last as long, but the Vittoria and Veloflex's rider nicer in my experience and are more of the cream color I was wanted for a particular bike.

And you are correct, I think by the time paperwork is processed and import fees and postage payed on the turnips, they'll be as expensive as beluga caviar, which for donkey food is a bit of a stretch in the current financial climate

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
https://www.bike24.com/p2407099.html

Massive sale on conti gp5000 tyres there.

I’d pm you my address for the turnip shipment, but I’m afraid they’d rot before you get done with the customs paperwork. <sorry >
Likes For botty kayer: