Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hammer Nutrition

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hammer Nutrition

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 11:58 AM
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also kind of dislike the idea that you need to buy the capsules they hawk just in order to get enough electrolytes. I use Gu2O for the electrolyte drink, which has a higher electrolyte content than HEED (240 mg sodium, 40 mg potassium per 16 oz. serving). I'd sort of like to be able to either have things completely separate (electrolytes/calories/fluids in completely different sources) or have a pretty much all-in-one solution (with additional water depending on the temperature.)
Old 05-01-07, 12:38 PM
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just throw some salt into your drinks and call it a day.
Old 05-01-07, 12:46 PM
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
Just throw some salt into your drinks and call it a day.
I used to do this, when I had tubs of HEED and realized I was not getting enough electrolytes. You probably also want to toss in some "salt substitute" (potassium chloride), and/or eat a banana.

Or, use a different brand of drink mix/gel that already provides them...
Old 05-01-07, 02:48 PM

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get endurolites as powder too and add it to heed/SE/perpetuem. or you can break open the capsules and dump in with the other powder.
I also enjoy their products and used about 8 servings of perpetuem on the 300k i did saturday. The concept of a "lactic acid buffer" sounds silly but i really felt no lactic acid build up and no cramping at all, even at the end of the ride. Plus, you can get propper nutrition in the rain with out wet gels/bars/sangwiches or much fuss. Very usefull on a dark rainy evening.
Expensive, but worth it to me.

Esspresso gel tasted great too to finish those last 3 miles with 50mg caffine.
Old 05-01-07, 03:51 PM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used hammer products and e-caps for 4 years now with excellent results. The atp100 is great for a kick in the pants. I might use an atp100 tablet once every few weeks if I need to smoke everyone up a hill or get that final energizer bunny feeling for the last 20 minutes of a race.
Old 05-01-07, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got the same catalogue, and I purchased a pair of bibs and a jersey. They were relatively cheap. I hope that doesn't mean cheap quality.
Old 05-01-07, 04:32 PM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I bought my first big can of plain-flavored HEED over the weekend... it was all the shop had left, but I figured I'd give it a shot. IT'S GREAT! The taste is VERY nice and clean, like plain water with just a touch of sweetness. Goes down easy like the other flavors of HEED. I think I have a new fave, though...
Old 05-01-07, 04:41 PM
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lowracer1
I've used hammer products and e-caps for 4 years now with excellent results. The atp100 is great for a kick in the pants. I might use an atp100 tablet once every few weeks if I need to smoke everyone up a hill or get that final energizer bunny feeling for the last 20 minutes of a race.
How does it work?
Old 05-01-07, 05:20 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I cannot stand HEED nor have I ever had gels or energy bars that I wouldn't be totally sick of on a long ride.

However, I'm a huge fan of Perpetuem. I never get tired of it and the quality of the energy I get is fabulous. If it's hot, consume something extra with a bit of salt. Having said that, I only use it for longer rides (> 5 hrs).
Old 05-01-07, 05:23 PM
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Sustained Energy for some of my long distance events. I have a hard time digesting solids during long hard days on the saddle, especially when there is lots of climbing. Two scoops of powder per bottle and I get all the calories and liquids I need for an hour. Works great for me and I avoid any stomach maladies.

I use Gu for shorter races and events. However, once I starting hitting the four hour mark, Gu (or other Gels) don’t work for me as I start feeling hungry.

The only drawback I have with Sustained Energy is the taste. Your water bottle has a chalky taste.
Old 05-01-07, 05:24 PM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There seems to be quite the sodium obsession on here. Why do you guys need all of this sodium?
Old 05-01-07, 05:36 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gradually ramped into using almost all their products.

HEED is my sport drink of choice.
Perpeteum for longer rides, never get hungry.
Recoverite. I waver between that and ClifShot recovery.
Sustained Energy. Sometimes I use that in 1 bottle + HEED in another bottle.

The only ones I don't use much are Gel, the flask is too gooey messy for me (I prefer HEED), and Endurolytes, don't seem to do anything for me, maybe because I'm already using HEED and Perpeteum.

I've tried lots of the other brands, ditched everything except Hammer, Clif ShotBlox, and ClifShot Recovery.
Old 05-01-07, 05:36 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big fan, I use Recoverite, HEED, and Hammergel. I've found that they work well for me.
Old 05-01-07, 05:45 PM
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lowracer1
ATP100 aka Energy Surge

Link

INGREDIENTS: (per tablet)
Magnesium (as Magnesium Glycerol Phosphate)10 mg
ATP (as Adenosine Triphosphate)100 mg.

I'm perplexed. How do you directly ingest ATP? I thought that was a celluar component in the mitochondria?

Last edited by MIN; 05-01-07 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-01-07, 05:50 PM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
ATP doesn't get transported across cell membranes, IIRC. You can pay for it and eat it, but whether it ever gets to the tissue that needs it, i.e. muscle, is up in the air.
Old 05-01-07, 06:02 PM
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete
ATP doesn't get transported across cell membranes, IIRC. You can pay for it and eat it, but whether it ever gets to the tissue that needs it, i.e. muscle, is up in the air.
Seems bogus. You'd have to eat it, then it enters the blood stream and then it may or may not cross the cell membrane. Nothing beats a line of meth for the last minute edge.
Old 05-01-07, 06:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my first big can of plain-flavored HEED over the weekend... it was all the shop had left, but I figured I'd give it a shot. IT'S GREAT! The taste is VERY nice and clean, like plain water with just a touch of sweetness. Goes down easy like the other flavors of HEED. I think I have a new fave, though...
I've been using plain HEED for a month or two. Previously, I tried lemon-lime and orange, and used orange for a while. I have some orange left, but I think I'm converted. HEED tastes/feels starchy, but plain has very little other flavor.

I use Recoverite after every ride, reducing the amount for shorter rides. I feel much better than without, but I'm not convinced that it provides benefits beyond eating a hearty meal immediately.

I'm working my way through a Hammer Gel sampler (one packet of each flavor). Clear favorite is Apple-Cinnamon, but Orange and Espresso are also nice. I think Vanilla is disgusting.

I bought Endurolytes and Perpetuem as part of a starter pack two years ago, but I haven't had much use for them.
Old 05-01-07, 06:40 PM
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Best!

I like Heed, Endurolyte capsules, Perpetum. You can mix and match, make thick Perpetum shakes for long rides, whatever you need. Call and speak to Steve Born if you have any question, he is a wealth of knowledge, a multi RAAM finisher. The also sell a nice Hammer jersey by Voler for $35 bucks, if you are placing an order.
Old 05-02-07, 05:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perpeteum is a great source of energy and has most, but not all the ingredients of the endurolyte capsules. Try some and see if you like it.
Old 05-02-07, 05:37 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
You guys buy this stuff from online vendors or at the LBS? I need to stop shopping at Performance so much.
https://www.hammernutrition.com

Cypress would love them...located in Whitefish, Montana.

I only have the catalogue, (I am normally using First Endurance products) and was wondering what you folks thought.

It seems to be similar in approach to Enervit in that it's a "system" versus buying a product. In other words, you use multiple products depending on your activity level.

I like the capsule/pill approach similar to Endurloytes. I used a similar system with Enervit and liked that as it saved putting drink mix into water bottles. On a longer rides, all you look for is a water fill-up and no need to carry more mix with you in a zip lock bag. I found that more convenient.

Interesting responses. And to the ones that commented on companies moving away from the gel flasks, I've heard that from other people too. Seems pretty dumb to move away from a product that people seem to like.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 05-02-07 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-02-07, 05:39 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
https://www.hammernutrition.com

Cypress would love them...located in Whitefish, Montana.
I think Cypress actually races for Hammer, IIRC.
Old 05-03-07, 10:42 AM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Liquid endurance

Has anyone ever tried Liquid Endurance? I just got some Hammer promotional materials, but as much as I like their sport drinks and recovery items, I'm a little suspicious of this stuff.
Old 05-03-07, 02:54 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3500 Post(s)
Liked 3,642 Times in 1,826 Posts
There seems to be quite the sodium obsession on here. Why do you guys need all of this sodium?
I know why I need plenty of sodium, and I have the Emergency Room bill to remind me in case I forget.

Hyponatremia sucks, feeling like the worst flu I'd ever had. Since my stint in the ER last year, I've been adding a pinch of salt to my bottles.

I've heard that on a hot day with strenuous exercise, you can deplete your body's stores of sodium in 4-5 hours. It took me 8 last June, on the hottest day of the year.

Old 05-03-07, 03:31 PM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I know why I need plenty of sodium, and I have the Emergency Room bill to remind me in case I forget.

Hyponatremia sucks, feeling like the worst flu I'd ever had. Since my stint in the ER last year, I've been adding a pinch of salt to my bottles.

I've heard that on a hot day with strenuous exercise, you can deplete your body's stores of sodium in 4-5 hours. It took me 8 last June, on the hottest day of the year.
I guess if you're talking about a full day in the saddle it might become an issue, but for most people riding in sub-5-hour land, adding sodium is probably not necessary. Even on days like yours, I don't think hyponatremia is as common as people believe.
Old 05-03-07, 03:37 PM
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^ I am pretty sure Terry is talking about a *FULL* day in the saddle!

155 miles and 13,500' right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.