Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 07:40 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I had to Google both words. Merriam Webster doesn't have "plomb" and other dictionaries don't have consistent meanings. But it is a French word which means "lead" (the metal) in English.

A decent ride in this morning, though still plenty warm and humid. Seems odd to be Thursday already. No complaints here though.
I believe the Latin word is plumbum. Water pipes used to be made of lead which is why we call it plumbing.

I feel really tired and weak today, so I pedaled more easily than ever. I had a tailwind, which helped me keep my effort low. It's still hot and humid. I'm looking forward to cooler weather.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-06-18, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
Rather warm and humid, but overcast so it wasn't miserable. I got 50 percentted upon coming to work. It was a light rain, more like free sweat. Wouldn't you know it, half a mile from the office I look up and there's blue sky coming over the horizon!?

Re: aplomb/plomb
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I had to Google both words. Merriam Webster doesn't have "plomb" and other dictionaries don't have consistent meanings. But it is a French word which means "lead" (the metal) in English..
That's what I thought. How does a word go from meaning lead (like a lead brick, perhaps?) to meaning confidently and with assurance? Something to ponder on another bike commute, I suppose.
Old 09-06-18, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Rather warm and humid, but overcast so it wasn't miserable. I got 50 percentted upon coming to work. It was a light rain, more like free sweat. Wouldn't you know it, half a mile from the office I look up and there's blue sky coming over the horizon!?

Re: aplomb/plomb

That's what I thought. How does a word go from meaning lead (like a lead brick, perhaps?) to meaning confidently and with assurance? Something to ponder on another bike commute, I suppose.
Aplomd also means vertical stability, like when you put a leaded weight at the end of a string to make sure something is vertical.
Old 09-07-18, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Aplomd also means vertical stability, like when you put a leaded weight at the end of a string to make sure something is vertical.
It can also refer to the cross-bred fruit consisting of an apple, plum and pomegranate.

A nice ride in this Happy Friday. I did have one school bus pass me a bit closely though. There were a couple of oncoming cars and apparently he didn't want to slow down. He sped up, passed closely, and got back over quickly. At least I got a bit of a tailwind boost from it.
Old 09-07-18, 07:32 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Cool morning. About 54°F degrees. I thought about wearing long sleeves but decided I wouldn't want them for my noon ride across town and because I was using a loaded backpack today I didn't want to try and carry an extra shirt. So I just suffered through a little bit of chill. It really wasn't too bad.

Saw a lot more cycle commuters than normal today. I wonder if it's because President Trump is in town today and they're predicting traffic delays this afternoon due to roads being shut down?

Today marked my 600th consecutive bicycle commute without driving. I figured a nice round number like that warranted snapping a photo when I arrived at the office. Sorry, should have put the chain in the big ring to make it look like I'm not a weenie rider.

Consecutive Bicycle Commuter Number 600
Old 09-07-18, 08:22 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Good going, @Tundra_Man.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-07-18, 09:14 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The cooler weather has arrived! It's so nice to be able to cool off outside after getting to work.
Old 09-07-18, 09:27 AM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You wash it morning and evening?
Sorry for the late reply (was on vacation). I just wash the clothes when I get home (evening).

Was a nice ride in this morning. The weather was definately cooler and hope it holds out. its the second time wearing my shoes without socks and they feel good! I can't stay on that path for fear of stinking up my shoes. But I also try to wash them twice a month or so. I have been using the Mavic Kyserium Elite II shoes that I got on sale for $80 for a while now.

Thanks to the deals thread for the post about them:

Hot deals - post 'em if you got 'em.

I think it might have been @spaghetti_legs that recommended them?

Last edited by ptempel; 09-07-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 10:09 AM
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
50F, sunny, lenticular clouds.

Also, I was wondering whether to add another 3 mile detour onto my commute in, when I got to the decision point there was a red left turn arrow that does not respond to bicycles so I went straight and took the extra 3 miles.
Old 09-07-18, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Today marked my 600th consecutive bicycle commute without driving.
I was just wondering where you were at. Nice work.

Nice riding day today - 10C/50F this morning, and going up to 25C/77F this afternoon, albeit accompanied by a stiff breeze. Fall has definitely hit the foliage in the valley. Hopefully we get a good autumn here. We could just as easily get a cold snap that turns all the leaves brown overnight, followed by a stiff wind that blows the trees bare.
Old 09-08-18, 07:31 AM

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yesterday's ride in was still a touch humid, but I saw this regular fishing the local streams. My ride takes me through the local University, and for what ever reason, there were a lot more coeds out in the am running.

Ride home was a bit dicey as the rain storm were rolling in. Luckily I beat most of the heavy rain, and just rode in a light sprinkle.
Old 09-10-18, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The weather app said it wouldn't rain until 11:00. So I didn't pack any rain gear. Now I'm soaking wet in my office :/
Old 09-10-18, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrewFan
I saw this regular fishing the local streams. My ride takes me through the local University.
Where is this? Those buildings look very familiar to me
Old 09-10-18, 07:19 AM

It was a dark and foggy morning. Okay, not super dark, but no sign of the sun. A good ride though.

The Carolinas are watching Hurricane Florence closely. We're looking to get some rain today and maybe the next couple of days too. If that saturates the ground before the major rains hit, it may not be good. We will be keeping an eye on Florence.
Old 09-10-18, 08:22 AM

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
Where is this? Those buildings look very familiar to me
The buildings in the background are part of the Columbus Ohio's skyline. I'm lucky I get to follow the river all the way down and then ride the newly completed riverfront path in to the city.
Old 09-10-18, 10:21 AM
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
58F, misty.

Found awesome weather webpage:

https://www.ventusky.com
Old 09-10-18, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
Today's commute was very special, as there were no close passers, turn signal non-users, or any sort of wankers on the streets—and the weather was ruddy perfect too! Not a single cloud, yet not overly hot.
Old 09-10-18, 11:26 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Today's weather is about as perfect as could be for me without eliminating the headwind. This should last for a brief while before the leaves start to fall along with the temperature.
Old 09-10-18, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has finally turned 'wet' here. Last night I re-installed fenders. Commute was good this AM.
Old 09-10-18, 03:58 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Today I was feeling really good so I continued the pseudosingle speed experiment, on the dog walk path. Made it ok... forgot and shifted in one spot where it didn’t matter much, and got up to pedal in a few others. Good thing it’s a good ticker day, can’t do that all the time. Will try it on the way home if I’m feeling it... that one sharp pitch could be a killer
Old 09-10-18, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Like I said in a A&S thread, there are stupid drivers out there. Today, commuting back home, a car at an intersection was blocking the bike path, waiting to enter traffic. Before I got there, it crept forward and cleared the bike path. As I was starting to pass BEHIND him, he backed up!!! Had to make evasive action not to hit him, lost my balance and almost fell in the process. Like I said, stupid drivers

Beside that, it was a 15C windy and rainy commute back home. Not my preferred riding weather...
Old 09-11-18, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Getting cooler! Almost perfect in the mornings.. mid 50's though might have to start wearing long sleeves. All the additions I've did lately are really helping the commute be more comfortable, little things add up. Tonight I'm going to get the bike trailer ready to carry my oldest DS bike so I can pick him up at his after school program, two commutes!
Old 09-11-18, 06:55 AM

Overcast and humid for both yesterday's ride home and this morning's ride in.

A driver felt he had to yell something at me when he passed me this morning. Of about 5 or so sounds, I only made out the word "bike". It kind of sounded like, "Bi bi ba bike bb!" I didn't even look his way as I focused on my road position and just kept pedaling.
Old 09-11-18, 08:20 AM

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Drizzling rain, 68F and really humid this morning. 80s yesterday afternoon with even more rain and humidity. I don't really mind the rain but it makes part of my commute really slippery. Although the trail is paved it is partially covered with wet leafs which makes it really slippery. Especially on my recumbent where I have no weight on the front wheel. Plus lots of bridges across creeks which have a wooden deck which also gets slippery in the rain.
Other than that I really enjoy the lower temperatures.
Old 09-11-18, 08:29 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Out the door about 20 minutes late because of a teenage boy who didn't want to get out of bed and go to school. Wound up arriving at the office right at 8 AM instead of my usual 7:40. Traffic was definitely heavier at this later time. Sat in a line at least 10 cars deep at one intersection waiting to cross a busy road, where normally I'm the only person crossing.

Beautiful morning, though. 61°F and sunny. Had about a 20 mph slight head wind, but still kept a pretty good pace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.