Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

how to ride my fastest metric century

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

how to ride my fastest metric century

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 04:40 PM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: 2009 Cervelo S1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seppomadness
Show us the file.
It's not that hard to believe. It depends on LT. If LT is a high proportion of max heart rate, it makes sense he could hold 189 for 20mins with a max of 196. I hold 168 for a 20min interval and my max is 178. On the other hand, holding your max heart rate for 20mins would be near impossible. I can hold 178 for 1 to 2 mins depending on my level of fatigue.
Old 11-11-07, 05:30 PM
seppomadness

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by EvilGoodGuy
It's not that hard to believe. It depends on LT. If LT is a high proportion of max heart rate, it makes sense he could hold 189 for 20mins with a max of 196. I hold 168 for a 20min interval and my max is 178. On the other hand, holding your max heart rate for 20mins would be near impossible. I can hold 178 for 1 to 2 mins depending on my level of fatigue.
Incorrect. It is very hard to believe. I am not saying it isn't true. I am just saying I would love to actually see the file! I can hold 180bpm for quite some time but my max is out over 200. It would be quite cool to see a file of someone who can hold 189bpm for 20 mins with a max below 200!!

Old 11-11-07, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Um, ok, here's a snapshot of the file...

Ignore the meager power numbers. I was clearly not feeling well.

--Steve
Old 11-11-07, 08:50 PM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Incorrect. It is very hard to believe. I am not saying it isn't true. I am just saying I would love to actually see the file! I can hold 180bpm for quite some time but my max is out over 200. It would be quite cool to see a file of someone who can hold 189bpm for 20 mins with a max below 200!!
I have to believe him because I can do it too. Send me a powertap and I'll send you the file.

I'm a mutant / hummingbird. My max HR is 204 and my HR at LT is 186 (based on 4.0mm of lactic acid in my blood). I also barely produce lactic acid; even while maintaining an HR of over 200 while trying to make myself puke I was only spitting out 7.3 mm of lactic acid.

While 189 for 20 minutes wouldn't be a lot of fun, I can (and have) done it.
Old 11-11-07, 08:51 PM
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kensuf
7.3 mm of lactic acid
7.3 milimeters? That's sorta like saying I rode 12 liters today
Old 11-11-07, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale systemsix, Raleigh Competition '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also had such an experience [while running a 5k]. Averaged 190 bpm over the course of 20 minutes or so, hitting 201 at one point.

If I ran a 5k today, however, there's no way my heart rates would be so high. I was in a relatively detrained state, and max heart rate typically goes down slightly with intense training.

-bullseye

Last edited by Bullseye; 11-11-07 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 10:26 PM
seppomadness

Originally Posted by zimbo
Um, ok, here's a snapshot of the file...

Ignore the meager power numbers. I was clearly not feeling well.

--Steve
Wow. That really is bizarre to me. Can you zoom (fit selection) from 24:00 through to about 26:00 please?

Last edited by seppomadness; 11-11-07 at 10:41 PM.

Old 11-12-07, 07:27 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. That really is bizarre to me. Can you zoom (fit selection) from 24:00 through to about 26:00 please?
Um, OK, sure. Allow me to describe what you're seeing below. The 24:15 mark (11 minutes into the TT) is approximately where I barfed on myself. Over the next minute or so, I did some soft pedaling while I tried to regain my composure and decide if I was really going to keep going or not. That's why you see the sporadic power and that's why my heart rate drops from 189 at the 24:22 mark to 183 at the 25:20 mark. From about the 26:00 mark until about the 31:00 mark, my HR steadily increases and eventually hits 190. For the last 4.5 minutes my average HR was 191.

It's theoretically possible that my MaxHR is higher than 196 but during lab testing, VO2Max intervals, and several races last season where I took off on a solo flyer and had every incentive to go as hard has I possibly could to hold off a charging field, I have only briefly touched 196 a few times at the total exhaustion point. Here's another example from one of those races. BTW, the lower power in the middle of the graph is where I was caught by two guys. You can see my HR drop slightly as we played a bit of cat and mouse. After that it's a steady increase in power and HR until the sprint finish.

Hope that helps

--Steve

Last edited by zimbo; 11-12-07 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 11:39 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
This thread should be shellaced (sp?) to a fine block of oak and mounted to the wall as an example of the perfect BF thread. It starts with a simple question of how best to turn a charity ride into a race and within 30 posts or so there are accusations of lies followed by the ultimate proof - a power file! Fred's of the world unite!
Old 11-12-07, 11:45 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmh
within 30 posts or so there are accusations of lies followed by the ultimate proof - a power file! Fred's of the world unite!
The dude asked for a power file so I provided one. What should I have done differently?

--Steve
Old 11-12-07, 11:55 AM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
7.3 milimeters? That's sorta like saying I rode 12 liters today
Millimoles.. Sorry, it's just what the report says.

And that was one painful experience.
Old 11-12-07, 12:25 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
The dude asked for a power file so I provided one. What should I have done differently?

--Steve
Absolutely nothing! This thread is perfect the way it is.
Old 11-12-07, 12:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDcatV
Are you just trolling the racing forum looking for a reaction?

Chill out and have fun riding your bike with others while doing a good deed and raising $$ for a charity. Going into a ride such as this thinking about it as a race makes YOU a danger to others. Typical charity rides have folks who have never riden their bike before, families on hybrid bikes with tagalongs, etc. Some fred coming along hammering in his drops and yelling to the other riders to get out of the way, weaving through charity ride participants, etc. is a hazard and detracts from enjoyment of those who are out riding their bike and trying to raise some $$ for what is probably a very worthy cause.

Also - refusing to pull ... on a charity ride!?!?!? Again, I hope you're just trolling in the racing forum for reaction.

If you want to race, then get a license and register for a race.
Aw c'mon. You're no fun! The best races are the ones where the guys we beat don't even know they're in a race.

Can't wait for the OP's Race.....errrr...."Charity Ride" Report. Especially the part where he mentions giving the white-haired lady on a hybrid "The LOOK".

Bob
Old 11-12-07, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
barf... lol.

I guess I don't ride hard enough - I back off before I barf.

non-vomitus,
cdr
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-12-07, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a max of 204 and held a HR of 190 (and higher for a few minutes) for 20 mins this past Saturday. Will post a screenshot of my data when I get home.
Old 11-12-07, 06:49 PM
seppomadness

It's theoretically possible that my MaxHR is higher than 196 but during lab testing, VO2Max intervals, and several races last season where I took off on a solo flyer and had every incentive to go as hard has I possibly could to hold off a charging field, I have only briefly touched 196 a few times at the total exhaustion point.
What lab test?

Yes this definitely helps Steve. I concur that you you can hold 190bpm but your max is NOT 196 IMO.

However holding 275w at 189bpm is just plain embaressing... (clearly you had a s$%thouse day at the office)

Last edited by seppomadness; 11-12-07 at 07:17 PM.

Old 11-12-07, 07:04 PM
seppomadness

Originally Posted by wfrogge
I have a max of 204 and held a HR of 190 (and higher for a few minutes) for 20 mins this past Saturday. Will post a screenshot of my data when I get home.
Dont bother. Nothing special there. Your max estimate is likely to fall in a range 205-210 in which case holding 190 is in a normal range.

Holding 190 with a max estimated down around 195 is quite another thing IMO. It's something I haven't come across much before and is quite interesting to look at. Particularly his rate of recovery when power falls away. He seems to rev higher but take longer to pull his HR back than other athletes I have seen.

Last edited by seppomadness; 11-12-07 at 07:16 PM.

Old 11-12-07, 09:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What lab test? Yes this definitely helps Steve. I concur that you can hold 190bpm but your max is NOT 196 IMO.
Human Performance Laboratory at Meredith College in Raleigh, NC. Full VO2Max test hooked up to a trainer with a tube over my nose and mouth, blood drawn at intervals from my left ear, wattage increased by 30 watts every 3 minutes until I crapped out, two different HR monitors (theirs and mine) to confirm the result. That was in June of 2006 and I was extremely motivated during the test. The highest HR I had ever seen before that day was 193. Since then I've tried ridiculously hard on several occasions to exceed 196 but have never done so and, as I said, have only hit 196 a few times in the last year and a half.

So, basically, you can think whatever the hell you want, dude. My max HR is 196. You're right about the 275watts at 190 bpm being suck city, though. In addition to the fact that it was my first time on the TT bike in several months, I was clearly not feeling well that day which would potentially account for the unusually high heart rate as well as poor recovery. As a point of comparison, my on-the-road 20-minute tests typically average only 180-185 bpm at around 330-340 watts.

--Steve

Last edited by zimbo; 11-12-07 at 09:44 PM.