Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

NYC Cyclist Flips out with ULock

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

NYC Cyclist Flips out with ULock

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 12:57 PM

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Order

If the cyclist is using a u-lock, that may be true. If the cyclist is using a submachine gun, that would not really be true. Even if the use of the submachine gun met the legal standard for self-defense (i.e., if it was used in a way that the force used was “reasonable”), its use would still be in violation of federal law. Same thing for other outlawed weapons.
Your point about the SMG is true, although not really relevant If the cyclist used a SMG as a club to reasonably defend himself, his self defense claim will stand, even though he may be charged with unlawfully possessing a machine gun. But my only point is that self defense looks at the reasonableness of the force used, not the precise weapon used.

That doesn’t seem true from an intuitive perspective, and my guess is it wouldn’t be true if subjected to some simple physics calculations.
Looking at the injuries is sufficient to determine that the force was reasonable.

He stopped, and then he waded back in to take a few more whacks after the pedestrian had stopped engaging with the cyclist. Even assuming that the cyclist had been defending himself previously—an assumption that would only be true if his first swing of the u-lock was in response to an attack or threat of imminent attack from the pedestrian—his self-defense ended when he waded back in, and what occurred after that point was assault.
Sorry, no. In the real world, the half second pause will not count. If he left and came back, sure. If he stopped for 5 seconds and then started up again. But no jury in the world would find that the last two strikes were battery, but the first several were self defense. That level of granularity just does not apply.

That’s a good question, but it’s not really the only real question. If a prosecutor had this video as evidence, he/she could file charges against the cyclist based solely upon the video evidence. The prosecutor would not be hamstrung by the lack of audio; in fact, quite the contrary.
Well, of course he could. But in a real case you won't just have the video, you *will* have testimony from the people involved.

Of course, the cyclist could argue that the pedestrian threatened him with imminent attack, but where’s the evidence for that? There’s no audio to indicate that the cyclist was threatened, and the pedestrian’s actions just prior to being hit don’t indicate that the cyclist was being attacked, or even under imminent threat of attack. So all the cyclist would have in support of his argument would be his claim that he was threatened—and that would be countered by the pedestrian’s denial and the lack of any corroborating evidence on the video. Because there’s no evidence that the cyclist was threatened, but there is evidence that the cyclist threw the first blow, the cyclist’s (hypothetical) uncorroborated claim that he was threatened would be unlikely to counter the evidence against him.
The evidence of imminent attack would come from the cyclist's statement that the ped threatened him with imminent attack. Of course the ped can deny this. And it will be up to the jury to determine who was telling the truth. The prosecutor has the burden of disproving the self defense claim beyond a reasonable doubt, however, so he has more of an uphill road to climb.

Evidence that the cyclist threw the first blow (which I have a hard time seeing on the video, but I'll assume for these purposes that it's present) doesn't help us decide which witness is more credible. If the cyclist is telling the truth that he was about to be attacked, he is allowed to take the first punch. Knowing that he took the first punch doesn't help us decide whether he is telling the truth. (Obviously, if the film showed that the ped took the first punch, this would help the cyclist with his self defense claim - but the cyclist taking the first punch is neutral given the rest of what we know).

Because of this, if he truly was threatened, it would be virtually essential to have any witnesses to the altercation testify that they heard a credible threat made against the cyclist just before he struck the first blow (or alternately, to testify that the pedestrian attacked, unseen by the camera, just before the cyclist struck his first blow).
The more witnesses the better, of course - but the cyclist's uncorroborated statement is just as good as the ped's uncorroborated statement. Note that the ped will also have to explain why he kept following the cyclist. There are plenty of explanations he can come up with, of course, but it's overall not that helpful to him.

The prosecution and defense is mostly theoretical, however. What would most likely happen in the real world is the prosecutor would charge the cyclist with the most serious charge he could press, and then would offer to let the cyclist plead down to a lesser charge. In some states—Oregon, in particular—the attacker would be facing serious prison time for using a deadly weapon, and the defense would have very little room to bargain. As a consequence, defendants regularly plead to lesser charges, because the alternatives are so much worse.
That rarely happens to self defense claims here unless they are completely bogus; our prosecutor routinely sends cases with plausible self defense claims to the grand jury to see if they will indict (one of the few uses our grand juries still have). Also, a regular citizen (which I assume the cyclist is) is much less likely to accept a plea bargain if he believes he is in the right.

And, again, we don't know why the cyclist was being followed or what sort of exchange the two men had, so it's also hard to know how justified that the cyclist may feel.
Old 07-27-09, 01:42 PM

Bikes: RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is we cannot hear what is said. My take for what its worth is on the side of the cyclist. The cyclist appears to want to end the confrontation and moves away. The ped follows and seems to cause the cyclist to respond. These days some people like that ped just wont let things drop. As far as Im concerned the ped got what he asked for.
Old 07-27-09, 03:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regardless of what the pedestrian did, I think it could have been better handled without a metal weapon. Using the lock was way overboard...
Old 07-27-09, 03:40 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dimm0k
Regardless of what the pedestrian did, I think it could have been better handled without a metal weapon. Using the lock was way overboard...
I would like to see you hold a bike in one hand and fight me one handed, while I have the use of both hands and feet.
Amazing that some of you guys think that would be a fair fight.

The U-lock simply turned the situation into a fair fight.
Old 07-27-09, 03:41 PM
Cycle Year Round

You say that as if you would be able to tell the difference.

Has my boss called you for an interview yet?
Good thing your boss does not read your BFs post!

Besides, I would not want to take the cut in pay.
Old 07-27-09, 10:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

EDIT: BTW, bar exam courses cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,000 dollars (guesstimate), and take two months of full-time study. The bar exam alone costs in the neighborhood of $750 (guesstimate). Bar dues are $3,000 annually. I see no need to spend that kind of cash (assuming I even had that kind of cash) just to demonstrate to some fool on the internet that my Juris Doctor represents years of legal study that he doesn't have, especially when I consider that after passing the bar exam, I will be doing the exact same job I am doing now.

2nd EDIT: My firm regularly receives letters of inquiry from newly-minted attorneys who have been admitted to the bar, and who would give their right arms to have my job. Strange, isn't it, that my boss keeps me on when he could have a "real lawyer" at the same pay level? Stranger still that he hasn't hired a "real expert" from the interwebz.
so ridiculous.
1. if you are so well paid why does $3,000 seem unjustifiably expensive?
*also, this notion of gaining freely available legal knowledge without paying large sums for further instruction reflects my early point regarding my ability to learn the same knowledge w/o attending legal institutions. perhaps im an autodidact. crazy, i know...point being, you dismissed my point and then made a strikingly similar point.

2. you say, "my firm". its not your firm

3. what is the name of this firm? what is your exact position?

4. the fact you wrote "...newly-minted attorneys who have been admitted to the bar, and who would give their right arms to have my job"...when you stick your head in your @$$ you must eat a lot because you are full of your own sh1.t
Old 07-28-09, 01:39 AM
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a perfect example of how to overanalyze and get all wound up about an incomplete video and turn it into a personal dispute over who is or isn't qualified to overanalyze said video.
Can I play?
Anyone mention hitler yet?
Old 07-28-09, 01:45 AM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This:
Originally Posted by dimm0k
Comes back around to this:
Originally Posted by bicyclerampage
yea the u lock weapon is getting old its ridiculous i can understand if you were yourself assaulted with a deadly weapon. if fisticuffs is completely necessary man up and do it right.
Which is great advice ... as long as both sides are working off the same Hollywood script. It doesn't work that way in a street fight ... in real life.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 07-28-09 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 03:57 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes are faster than legs alone, also, ulock to the dome isn't tactful at all.
But that is one dude, he might not have handled it very well.
Old 07-28-09, 10:42 AM

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bar dues are $3,000 annually.
But do you have to pay that to practice? Because that's insanely high...In my state attorney fees are about $120 annually; in NY they are $350 every two years, which is only slightly higher.
Old 07-28-09, 02:15 PM
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by alhedges
But do you have to pay that to practice? Because that's insanely high...In my state attorney fees are about $120 annually; in NY they are $350 every two years, which is only slightly higher.
Those rates seem amazingly low for professional fees. I do not know what lawyers in Hawaii shell out, but for my environmental science work, it cost at least $3,000 a year for certification renewals, exams, licenses, etc.
Old 07-28-09, 03:36 PM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Professional tax $150, CLE $450 minimum. I think there are some other fees. The big costs are insurance, time, and stress. Why I run a violin shop.

Amazing how people get sucked into arguing!

Each side has such a different story, too. Fortunately juries seem at least "OK" at getting things generally right much of the time.
Old 07-28-09, 05:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"1. if you are so well paid why does $3,000 seem unjustifiably expensive?
*also, this notion of gaining freely available legal knowledge without paying large sums for further instruction reflects my early point regarding my ability to learn the same knowledge w/o attending legal institutions. perhaps im an autodidact. crazy, i know...point being, you dismissed my point and then made a strikingly similar point."

he didn't say what you think he did. Bar review courses are for law school graduates that would like an intensive REVIEW session with a tutor and some study aids.

"2. you say, "my firm". its not your firm"

This is about as petty as it comes. In any case, it's quite common for attorney's to refer to firms in this manner.

"3. what is the name of this firm? what is your exact position?"

ah yes, and go ahead and ask for his phone number, home address, etc.

"4. the fact you wrote "...newly-minted attorneys who have been admitted to the bar, and who would give their right arms to have my job"...when you stick your head in your @$$ you must eat a lot because you are full of your own sh1.t"

with the job market as it is right now, new attorneys would give their right arm for quite a few jobs. If his is a good one, he's telling the truth. In any case, this kind of nonsense really isn't welcome here (which is why you had to write like a ten year old on AOL to write it out.).
Old 07-28-09, 05:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I would like to see you hold a bike in one hand and fight me one handed, while I have the use of both hands and feet.
Amazing that some of you guys think that would be a fair fight.

The U-lock simply turned the situation into a fair fight.
Are we talking the real world fair here or Hawaiian "island justice" fair?
Old 07-28-09, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering the cyclist tried to walk away.......

a) That was filmed in the Bronx......I know the area, (Live in the Bronx)
b) People here carry and use things you do not see right away like razors, small knives and watches around their hand.
c) I would've done the same until the attacker was down. You don't take chances around here.

The guy surely did not look like a bike messenger.
Old 07-28-09, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Zeus Professional, Juncker Calypso, Lotus Eclair, Dahon Speed, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that took place on the corner of Allen and Delancey
Old 07-29-09, 01:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shavit
"

with the job market as it is right now, new attorneys would give their right arm for quite a few jobs. If his is a good one, he's telling the truth. In any case, this kind of nonsense really isn't welcome here (which is why you had to write like a ten year old on AOL to write it out.).
shunning and reciprocating.

go say a prayer or something
Old 07-29-09, 01:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Are we talking the real world fair here or Hawaiian "island justice" fair?
its american justice. the kind where you invade and attack mexicans and natives and take over santa barbara.

hawaiian island justice would involve coercing and attacking natives while instituting virtual slavery/servitude, then selling it as a perfect getaway.
Old 07-29-09, 01:10 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ricardo_NY1
Considering the cyclist tried to walk away.......

a) That was filmed in the Bronx......I know the area, (Live in the Bronx)
b) People here carry and use things you do not see right away like razors, small knives and watches around their hand.
c) I would've done the same until the attacker was down. You don't take chances around here.

The guy surely did not look like a bike messenger.
i dont think most of these people here have been in situations where physical confrontation is likely imminent.

really though...i guess we can know no attack would happen because the asian man did not slap the cyclist with his glove
Old 07-29-09, 08:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pharnabazos
that took place on the corner of Allen and Delancey
I stand corrected............there's a couple of places here in the Bronx that look similar. I used to work on Spring st, and have passed that area on my way to Ludlow street a few times. You are correct.
Old 07-29-09, 09:26 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
i dont think most of these people here have been in situations where physical confrontation is likely imminent.
Yeah, because someone with some maturity knows how to walk away. Or maybe they don't even put themselves into such stupid situations in the first place.
Old 07-30-09, 01:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Yeah, because someone with some maturity knows how to walk away. Or maybe they don't even put themselves into such stupid situations in the first place.
exactly. like people that are jumped. those idiots should not be so stupid as to be in public.

its good to know that no matter how determined someone is to harm you, you can walk away and not be attacked. it makes perfect sense.

thats why im for abolishing the police and military.

if only **** victims were smart enough to walk away from the ******.

it's great to live in a society where all violent crime can be avoided simply by walking away; i do prefer

to look at the violence forecast in each area i may pass through, that way i can avoid violence.

here are links to examples of the F**king idiots who dont walk away or avoid stupid situations:

https://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...762/story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlP9-8f5YpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0-dN3giY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za35LxmBKaQ

again...all of the people in these links are immature and stupid.
Old 07-30-09, 01:53 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Speaking of walking away from a stupid and immature argument...
Old 07-30-09, 02:12 PM
Just ride it.

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Florida, on the other hand (I'll accept what you're saying as fact, although I haven't researched Florida law), the cyclist would be allowed to stand his ground, even if it means a certainty that the other guy would attack him.

This raises an interesting issue-- actions that constitute self-defense in one state may constitute mutual combat in another state. For cyclists whose own states grant wide latitude in self-defense, it's important to know what the law is when riding through other states.
This is true. In Florida, one is not obligated to retreat from their home or any place they are "legally occupying", including a city street. However, striking someone in the head, neck, or spine with a weapon amounts to deadly force. Although the video doesn't show the entire exchange, It does not appear that deadly force was justified.

I agree with you 100% that it's important to know the laws pertaining to self defense when in other states. It's a good idea to study the statutes of the individual state, especially if you if you plan to be traveling armed.
Old 07-30-09, 02:19 PM
don't be so angry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I <3 internet lawyers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.