Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just starting to bike in the cold

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just starting to bike in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 04:05 PM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
All is good until you have an eyelid freeze shut.
Have you considered ski goggles? I've got a couple of pair, found they work really well for comfort. As a bonus, one has interchangeable lenses for different light conditions, and that helps a lot with glare in bright sun (although I don't actually ride much in the sunshine, but I do XC ski) or to enhance dim light on dark days/twilight/dawn.
Old 12-01-16, 06:24 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Some of my favorite riding is in the snow. It's cold and it's beautiful. When I ride on the local MUPs in the winter I am typically the only person out there. There's a lot to be said for solitude in the dead of winter.
+1. We have really long bike paths here that follow rivers, so I can literally ride 100's of km without ever sharing space with cars, and in winter, these bike paths are virtually empty, compared to summer, when every man and his dog are riding.

The coldest I have ridden in so far is -15 Celsius, but still I'd ride to work on a -15 day, over driving any day.
Old 12-02-16, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Have you considered ski goggles? I've got a couple of pair, found they work really well for comfort. As a bonus, one has interchangeable lenses for different light conditions, and that helps a lot with glare in bright sun (although I don't actually ride much in the sunshine, but I do XC ski) or to enhance dim light on dark days/twilight/dawn.
Yup, got some with lots of ventilation so they don't fog up as much.
Old 12-02-16, 08:17 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
60, 50, 40, temps under 40 and it has been lots of fun ... How do others feel about this?
reminds me of the 1st winter I commuted thru. in the fall, I told my family & friends this was fun, don't know how long I'll keep it up, but I'm NOT buying studded tires. of course the 1st morning I experienced black ice I ordered studded tires & would go on to ride thru a typical NE winter. nothing like spring thighs after riding thru the winter! get those studded tires before they are on back-order ;-)
Old 12-02-16, 08:38 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Once you have the clothing figured out it's a blast to ride in cold weather. Last Sunday I did 108 miles on a road bike.
Arriving home it was 31 F. I ride in the ice and snow as much as possible. I don't stop riding in any conditions. But only use road bikes if the ground is dry and clean.
Old 12-02-16, 08:41 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
It's all about the clothes...I've been comfortable dressed well at 25F....and I've been chilled riding at 50F dressed poorly.
+1

This is the crux of the thing.

I actually prefer it when the weather turns sincerely cold instead of all the in-between stuff (cold-warm-cold, etc.) because this way you dress for the conditions straightaway that will be appropriate for your entire ride.
Old 12-02-16, 09:24 AM
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Some of my favorite riding is in the snow. It's cold and it's beautiful. When I ride on the local MUPs in the winter I am typically the only person out there. There's a lot to be said for solitude in the dead of winter.
Yep, there's something magic about putting the first set of tracks in freshly fallen snow. It seems so calm and quiet, especially away from the road. My personal low is 7°F indicated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1406.jpg (97.1 KB, 151 views)

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 12-02-16, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Quite often put a one or two pages of folded newspaper between my chest and my jersey . . . easy to dispose of and no co$t to you . . .
Ruined a yellow shirt like that, the print comes off.
Old 12-02-16, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
Anything under 60 remains too cold for me.
Same here, I thought I could do it, but anytime it's under 60 I don't want to go outside let alone bike...
Old 12-02-16, 10:42 AM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
I don't mind the cold too much. Its just the first couple miles that I'm freezing and I have to keep reminding myself that ill warm up quickly if I just keep going, trying not to turn back for another layer... I know ill just end up taking it off soon after anyway.
With my core this is dead on, with my hands and toes it's the exact opposite.

Toes seem to do ok with thermal MTB boots (NW Farenheit) and thick merino ski socks. But I struggle to find ways to keep the hands warm. There are no gloves made that work, including Izumi Amfib Lobster claws, even with extra liners.

I think I'm borderline Raynauds. I have heated glove liners on the way hoping they do the trick.

I also get a hacking cough after High Z3+ efforts in cold dry air. Considering if I should pursue asthma treatment / steroids, or a try moisture recycling balaclava.

I have committed to a long season of base training this year, and I am deeply committed to reducing the unpleasant aspects as much as possible. If I can get the cold managed, then I will truly enjoy being able to ride all winter.
Old 12-02-16, 11:58 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I think I'm borderline Raynauds. I have heated glove liners on the way hoping they do the trick.

I also get a hacking cough after High Z3+ efforts in cold dry air. Considering if I should pursue asthma treatment / steroids, or a try moisture recycling balaclava.
1) Heated gloves - absolutely LOVE them. I've got a couple of different brands, Columbia and AlphaHeat, and, IMHO, they make a big difference in the cold. I guess I can say this much ... I learned quickly that I sure missed the heat if I didn't remember to pack a spare, fully charged set of replacement batteries for longer rides.

2) I have asthma - a lot of things trigger it (getting even a tiny bit of cigarette smoke is one of the worst, actually) - cold, cardio training, allergens. I take symbicort and singulair - and it's night and day difference vs. without them. Personally, cough isn't really one of my symptoms in cold or otherwise, it's more chest constriction, tightness, and at its worst wheezing and gasping. I'm not a medical professional by any means, so all I can say is it is a question you should pursue with your doctor if you think that is a possibility. The diagnostic tests are easy and painless - basically just breathing into a number of different devices to get measurements. Worst case one is arterial blood gas, which is painful only in that it's a difficult one for techs to draw, so they have to kind of "fish around" with the needle to get it some times - but I don't think that is even routine for asthma diagnosis, seen it on my mom when she had other lung/heart problems going on.
Old 12-02-16, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As a Southern Californian, right about the time I get accustomed to the summer heat, it cools down, and I have to get used to what we consider "cold." As soon as I get used to that, it starts to warm up again. We have maybe 3 months of colder weather, and it's not exactly cold by the standards of the rest of the nation-- but I sure do notice there are a lot less bikes out.

My problems with dressing for the weather is because of the nature of my local weather. The air is cold-- it was barely 40º this morning, but the sun was downright toasty on my back. So what happens is, the sun makes me sweat, and the air chills that sweat. I usually need a windproof jacket or vest because of the chill of the moving air, but that has a greenhouse effect of holding the sweat in. I find it much more comfortable when it's cold and cloudy than cold and clear... but it's not cloudy here very often.

I've been leaving the house earlier so I can get done earlier. Starting a ride at 38º and ending it 2 hours later at 60º means I usually get home drenched in sweat... but chilled at the same time. Dressing for both extremes continues to be something of a hassle. I dress for the summer (maybe arm warmers) if it's anything above 50º. But for whatever reasons, if it's even 45º, I feel like my bones are going to freeze solid.
Exactly...
Old 12-02-16, 02:19 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Cold doesn't bother me.

Unfortunately, cold is very often combined with wet precipitation and wind, and the three of them in parallel do not amuse me.
Old 12-02-16, 03:14 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I kept thinking I'd stop riding as the temperatures went down here in St Paul. Took my usual 13mi ride today and it read 31F. I figure until the snow gets deep enough to turn my 28c's into rail casters I'll keep riding.
Old 12-02-16, 03:37 PM

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
With my core this is dead on, with my hands and toes it's the exact opposite.

Toes seem to do ok with thermal MTB boots (NW Farenheit) and thick merino ski socks. But I struggle to find ways to keep the hands warm. There are no gloves made that work, including Izumi Amfib Lobster claws, even with extra liners.

I have committed to a long season of base training this year, and I am deeply committed to reducing the unpleasant aspects as much as possible. If I can get the cold managed, then I will truly enjoy being able to ride all winter.
Yeah, my fingers, toes, & ears/cheeks/nose suffer the most. If I can find good solutions to all of those then it would be even more enjoyable riding in this weather.

My fingers are frozen the entire ride, even in just the 40's...Iv been shopping around for gloves for a couple weeks now though, and looking at liners. Iv yet to try winter cycling gloves and/or liners. I'll have to check out the heated ones now after seeing so many say they work great.

I'v been using a fleece headband for my ears and it works good, but I haven't yet ordered a "nose warmer". I get ear & jaw pain along with headaches when my face is in the cold/wind too long. I also get the cough you mention if I'm not careful. Iv already had it this fall for 3 weeks, just over a month ago now I think. Breathing into a cover of some type helps a bit, but its not very pleasant on a longer ride.
Old 12-02-16, 07:14 PM

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Looking forward to trying these toe covers out tomorrow morning. Hoping they work well enough. My gloves, coat and under helmet hat have been great!

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/neoprene-toe-cover.html
Old 12-02-16, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Looking forward to trying these toe covers out tomorrow morning. Hoping they work well enough. My gloves, coat and under helmet hat have been great!

Neoprene Toe Cover Thermal Insulation Toe Socks
Will they fit inside of your shoes? What temps do you expect?
Old 12-02-16, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Will they fit inside of your shoes? What temps do you expect?
I'm going to find out tomorrow, but they should fit over my socks inside my shoes. They're not too thick. I'm hoping to be able to ride when the temp is down to around 25 degrees F. I'll be testing further when it gets colder.
Old 12-03-16, 09:18 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I used to think that anything time the temperature was under 60, biking was cold. Then it was anything under 50. Then it was under 40. I am learning to love biking in the colder weather. I have been biking in temps under 40 and it has been lots of fun. Why was I such a wimp before? If you're not biking because the weather isn't "nice enough", then you're missing hours of wonderful biking. How do others feel about this?
I end up looking like this after every ride, I hate it!

Seriously though, riding in the cold is no big deal once you are prepared for it. I ride outside all winter long. Yesterday was 41 miles and the temps never got above 25 degrees.
Old 12-03-16, 06:03 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm a fan of riding in the cold. Once the snow comes, I tend to stick to trails and in-town rides; our beautiful road routes get a bit dicey in the winter.

On the other hand, I strongly believe that temperatures over 80F with any amount of humidity are cruel and inhumane, and my family waits until I leave to turn up the thermostat...
Old 12-03-16, 07:06 PM

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a notebook with temperatures and humidity and what clothes to put on.
Old 12-03-16, 09:36 PM

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm a hill climber in general, and when it's chilly out (the 40's lately) I head for the hills quick(!), lol. A few hard climbs really do wonders to warm your body. I've found if I can keep my core warm I'm usually go to go, but if your core is cold it becomes really difficult to ride, IME. I also wear wool socks and insulated gloves. I agree riding in colder weather is fun, you just have to dress for it.
Old 12-04-16, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I'm going to find out tomorrow, but they should fit over my socks inside my shoes. They're not too thick. I'm hoping to be able to ride when the temp is down to around 25 degrees F. I'll be testing further when it gets colder.
Have you been able to get out and test the toe covers? If so, at what temperature?
Old 12-04-16, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Have you been able to get out and test the toe covers? If so, at what temperature?
I did try, it fits comfortably over my socks and into my shoes. I don't believe it's been cold enough to really test. It's been in the upper 30's F and my toes seem to be warmer. I'll know better how well this is when the temps start dipping the 20's.
Old 12-04-16, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Garneau R1, Felt V85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once the leaves all fall off the trees the wind doesn't stop howling until May. I'm not a big fan of wind, if I'm honest. On one side of the city is a big ole lake, on the other side is flat farm lands, so yeah not much to slow down the wind. Once there's snow on the ground there's no more weekend rides for me but I do commute through the winter.... plus there's only so much time to ski between finally getting snow and then it turning to slush.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.